Animal Kingdom's declinig attendence article....

This thread has gone elsewhere, but to cover a few things, I want to back up Doug's Comments on Arcades, They've existed in DisneyLAND since the 70's ergo while the actual physical implementaiton in Disney World occured in the 90's, the concept is not Of the 90's.

Also, back when Disney used ticketbooks, the shootin arcade was a B-ticket. So effectivly it didn't cost extra when Walt built it.

Now, the joy is gone, replaced by "vacation micromanagement syndrome".
Ah......I'll never let it get that bad ;). Heck, I'll probably come to my senses in a day or two :).

As for that not making sense thing, I was just recalling one time we were all in the midst of a snowstorm and it seemd you had to go out and shovel after each post. (I know - I need to get a life :crazy: ) I know you southerners don't handle your snow too well and it's the best I could come up with on short notice given your challenge to the toughness of us Hopewell Junction-ites :jester:.

Hmmm some of the arguments here forget rides like Carousel, Dumbo, and the Teacups. Talk about off the shelf. BUT they were in Walts park so they must be acceptable!!!

Once upon a time, there was a guy named Matt. He had a positive first take on things and looked forward to his WDW vacations. Now, the joy is gone, replaced by "vacation micromanagement syndrome".
Must I explain again?;)

DK, you have certainly mastered the basics of car 3 responses. That's the wonderful thing about identifying a standard and holding to it... it makes explanations very easy.

Now, back to the "Mischaracterization of Matt". (Doesn't that sound like a bad Lifetime made-for-TV movie?)

The joy is not gone. Yes, shorter hours, closed attractions, less convenient package delivery, and various other things have diminished it a bit. After all, if things you value are taken away, how can it not have some impact? Maybe wanting to see MK at night on anything other than a Saturday is considered micromanagement to some, but we all have things that are important to us, but maybe not to others.

But joy, and a lot of it, remains nonetheless, which is why we are heading back in a few weeks, even if its for a couple of days less than last year.

No, DK has nothing to fear. The understanding of the whys and hows of what is going on with the parks does not have to have any impact at all on the joy a vacation brings.

It is possible for a reasonable person to declare the direction to be negative, while still enjoying where the vehicle sits today.

Matt, you can say the joy isn't gone but your very attitude about the big picture practically gurantees that you'll never look at these things with truly wide eyes again. This Mr. Kidds, is your future...:p

Perhaps Peter, some of us have seen TOO much big picture and that's why we are where we are.

This Mr. Kidds, is your future...
And that is what I just can't see happening. That is why I am unable to embrace the third vehicle. If I do ride in it maybe I can effect change from within. I don't know. All I know is that they aren't always wrong.

If I do ride along, they will rue the day they let me in. I'll be that guy in the back seat that annoys the heck out of them....................and they'd probably kick me out :crazy:.

If I do ride along, they will rue the day they let me in. I'll be that guy in the back seat that annoys the heck out of them....................
Probably for singing "It's a Small World" for the entire trip :jester:

Sarangel

Or for saying "Are we there, are we there yet,how much further, how soon, how much longer, when will we get to ME's place ?"

Such is the life of the misunderstood....

Heir Pirate, I can only tell you that I AM the one singing Its a Small World, or the Mickey Mouse Club Theme, or whatever, until I've completely irritated everyone around me.

The eyes are no less wide when looking at the castle, including the "puny" Sleeping Beauty castle, or flying over London in a pirate ship, or launching into Space in search of giant Tollhouse cookies, or watching Fantasmic and Illuminations, soaking up Main Street, journeying through Spaceship Earth, exploring World Showcase, taking 40 some odd pictures of the carvings on the Tree of Life.....and experiencing all these things with my now 4 year old son.

You may not understand it, and you may not even believe it, but its true.

THAT'S what makes me all the more disgusted by the direction the company is being taken.

If anything, that disgust makes me even more appreciative of the things that do still evoke the "eyes of wonder"....

I just want to see that tradition continue, and not die a slow death because we couldn't find anyone with the talent, ability, and desire to keep it alive from the top of Disney.

Thanks for the link. I personally love Animal Kingdom, but I do wish that they would add more to do there. I would love to see more animals rather than a bunch of rides, but if it will keep the park filled, then let them do what they have to do.

Originally posted by thedscoop
Just when the day seems as sad and lonely as one can be...

It's good to hear from the Pirate.

Good men still sail our disboard seas. Very good men indeed.:)
I agree. The Pirate added a lot to these discussions IMO and I say that both as a lurker and as someone who has tussled with him.

Do I read correctly that Mr Kidds will be joining Car No. 3. My but it's getting crowded in this vehicle... :eek:

I just went out with Landbaron looking at Busses. We were thinking mybe a nice smoking Diesel with Disney written on the side, then we realized it'd been done already.

Do I read correctly that Mr Kidds will be joining Car No. 3.
I'll never truely be 'one of them' ;), but Disney and our recent discussions keep making me say things that sound rather car 3ish :(. I'm hoping my May infusion of Pixie Dust can nudge me back to where I belong. I just have to remind myself that the difference between 2 and 3 is really one of optimism. M:S, Philharmagic, Everest, Eisner getting older................there is more to be optimistic about now than there has been the last few years.

There, I made myself feel better :crazy:.

Eisner getting older

You know, I neve want to wish pain and suffering on anyone, but I can't wait till he's nursing home fodder.

Going back a few pages in this discussion - the sub-thread on buying ABC, having Disney channel etc. Actually someone at Disney is doing something right. (Hopefully hw/she won't be found out or they would probably be fired) They are actually leveraging the Disney Channel- Playhouse Disney. at the parks!!! . (Hopefully they will never do ABC-TV as they tried last fall, Drew Carey Show -which I like when kids aren't around- et al. belong in a more adult theme park in the middle of Vegas). On our last trip my kids were so excited to see Bear, Roly Poly Olllie, etc. The oldest was despartely looking for the Wiggles, any one of them would do. In a way Disney was getting back to it roots. Us baby boomers didn't get to know Mickey and friends from the movies, but from the Mousekeeter Club, and Saturday cartoons. While my kids actively looked for Lilo and Stitch (Treasure what???) at WDW it was the TV characters they crave. We live near Cincinnati, and am I ever in trouble once the 5 year old saw a commercial with Liza Thornberry and Scooby at Paramount King Island.
Back to the original post, if they want to boost Animal Kingdom have a Pal Stanley lead everyone on an Animal hunt based on his shows, or a Wiggle Down Under experience. With the Fall introduction of the Lilo Stitch cartoons AKL have a Stitch breakfast (One actually geared for the boys!)

Our kids love anything Disney, and all joking aside AKL is their favorite park. Here's hoping it has a long future

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter