Andrea's Wish Trip - June 8-13

Maroo I would love a link or a PM. It would be great to talk to her or at least read her TR to get some ideas for planning for my son.

I am here! I am here! :yay:

(No, I'm not a Who, I'm Kathy!)

Feel free to ask any ??? or to PM me if you'd rather. I don't have any experience with MAW or GKTW, but as my friend, Maroo, has mentioned, I do have an autistic son (soon to be eleven) and we've made several trips to WDW.

Happy World Autism Awareness Day!!

myspaceAUTISMAWRENESSDAY.jpg

Andrea:

So glad to see you start a PTR. I saw your post on Somer's PTR. I am sorry to hear your daughter has had a recent setback.

I see where you say your DS has Aspberger's. We thought my son had high functioning autism and there were some rough times for him at the magic kingdom. The crowds and heat and a little disappointment about the color of the dumbo he rode on caused a melt down and we left early. Since our trip, we have found out that a grand mal seizure he had after his surgery probably caused some brain damage and that is his issue, not autism. Before we went I was very intune to the autistic families. There are others on the dis who are not wish families who have autism issues. I was lurking on some of their threads. One lady created a social story book for her son to give him some structure and advanced knowledge about what each day would look like. She had some great ideas, and it was very helpful for her son. Here is the thread link, it may help you out as well.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1774902

If you have any specific questions, please ask away. There are a lot of good, experienced people on your thread already who have a wealth of knowledge and are all very helpful.

~Elisa

Thank you very much for the info, I will definetly check that thread out.:woohoo:

Andrea:

There are others on the dis who are not wish families who have autism issues. I was lurking on some of their threads. One lady created a social story book for her son to give him some structure and advanced knowledge about what each day would look like. She had some great ideas, and it was very helpful for her son. Here is the thread link, it may help you out as well.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1774902

Scrappie's in WDW right now with the family!! :woohoo: Definitely check out her thread (above) and her PTR as well. She (mousescrapper) is so talented and creative!

Kathy

Could someone help me figure out how to add pictures to my message. I would like to share some pictures, but do not know how to do it??

Please help me!!

Diane

Hi there!

Most of us use www.photobucket.com...

You will upload your pictures...

Crop them, if you want...

Fix them to whatever size you would like (most folks post "large")...

Then you click on "direct link"...(I think)...

Then click the mountain icon right above....

Then paste the link that was copied from the "direct link"...

If you need help, PM me...I will be off and on here for the rest of the afternoon, probably... :)

Good luck on the picture posting. Initially I used the dis service, but it will only display photos for a certain amount of time, then you get the dreaded red x instead of a photo. I use photobucket too, and they actually have a link you can click for each photo for posting on forums. There are also tech threads here on the dis that walk you through it all as well.

Here are my kids and our dog Maggie. As you can tell she doesn't look like she has anything wrong with her. Thanks Maroo for your help and also 5dwarves. Now that I can do it I will try to add more later.

christmascards2008055-1.jpg

Good Job! You got your pictures posted by entry #28...mine was in the hundreds I think...Oh, and you can just call me Elisa :)

Aw!!! Precious pic! :)

Your kids are so cool! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

And great job posting the pic! It looks great...good size, etc! :)

I just found you

our son Jason has sensory stuff going on to and did NOT want to go the the fireworks
we had him wear ear plugs and life was so much better for all of us
I wish I would have thought of them yrs ago ;)

as for your first day
we got in to GKTW around 2 by the time we eat, settled in and played on the playground it was time to eat diner
plus you need to go to the info meeting ;)

I just found you

our son Jason has sensory stuff going on to and did NOT want to go the the fireworks
we had him wear ear plugs and life was so much better for all of us
I wish I would have thought of them yrs ago ;)

as for your first day
we got in to GKTW around 2 by the time we eat, settled in and played on the playground it was time to eat diner
plus you need to go to the info meeting ;)

Thanks for the advice, my son doesn't like to watch fireworks unless he has earplugs, we are planning on bringing lots of earplugs with us.

Thanks for visiting our report and thanks for the advice. :cheer2::welcome:

We got our earplugs (a case of them) at Walmart...they were packaged by individual set. The kids all had a set in their pockets, and I had back ups. My 3 youngest boys were 8,7 and 5 at the time we went, and I had to tear away part of the ear plug in order for them to fit and not just stick out of their ear, ready to fall.

Hi everyone,

I thought I would add a little more family info:

Cast members:

Scott - my dh of 17 yrs. We went to Disney pre-kids and had a great time. He is a workaholic - and luckily has employment. We just found out three weeks ago that we need to pay for our insurance a weekly fee.:scared: Between him and the two kids we already pay a lot for our medical costs out of our pockets. :sick: He has his own health issues too: ADHD, Asperger's Syndrome, Type 2 Diabetic, and suffers from depression. He hasn't taken any vacation time in the last years except for a day here and there. This will be the first long trip for us with our kids. The last time he took any extended time off was when Andrea was born and during her surgeries. He is starting to get a little excited about our upcoming trip.:rotfl: He is totally worried about our son with his fears and avoidance issues.

Diane (myself) I am a stay at home mom. I volunteer at my kids school two days a week. I have always loved Disney. When I was 4 yrs old my parents took me there. Of course I don't really remember the trip but I love the pictures. One of my favorites is me and Mickey at a table talking together. I will have to see if I can get the picture from my mom to scan and add to our pre-trip report. I went with my family after christmas 1989 and we had a great time. Then the trip with my dh. Now finally with my kids, I can't wait to see Disney through their eyes:woohoo::yay::dance3::rotfl: I know I need a break and at time when I don't need to worry about the next step in my dd journey with her heart condition. So far I am enjoying the planning phase of the trip everyday I think of new things to ask or check on.

There is some more family info. I will add more later - my dd wants on the computer.

See Ya All Soon!!

Hi Welcome :welcome:

Glad to see a fellow Michigander. Did you get snow yesterday. We were lucky and missed out on the snow this time.

I will go check out your trip report soon.

Diane

I'll be here reading too!!!

Your kids are so cute. You'll have a great time I'm sure! I know Maroo has already wrote to you but the Wish Trips thread has quite a bit of info. There are so many people over there that are willing to help.:)

Tim

Open Mouse book is that the passporters book Passporter's Walt Disney World for your Special needs book - if so yes I have that book from our local library.

I didn't figure it out until the last page of my first report!! :rotfl2:

Did you get that Open Mouse book??

Kathy

Thanks - I think their cute too. Welcome - the more the merrier!!:banana::banana::banana:

I'll be here reading too!!!

Your kids are so cute. You'll have a great time I'm sure! I know Maroo has already wrote to you but the Wish Trips thread has quite a bit of info. There are so many people over there that are willing to help.:)

Tim

Thanks,
Diane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter