And yet another newbie! RCI question

Yes, with RCI, availability can and will be an issue.

We never purchased DVC to use for exchanging. When we originally purchased in '93, DVC was supposed to be much like Marriott and build timeshare properties throughout the world. We knew the mantra of DVC points' best value is to use for a DVC stay/resort. We were always in the position of borrowing points, so we never thought we'd ever get to the point of having to do something with points before they expire. We ran into that situation a few years ago. A member services rep suggested depositing into RCI system and we had up to 2 years to book a vacation in that service. I knew a little something about timeshares, having joined TUG and rented timeshare weeks directly from owners of other properties. And from a SIL who bought into a caribbean property about the same time we did DVC. Anyway, I was very scared to use it. I didn't know there could be a floating request. Long story short, we are in a situation where we have to use the RCI week or lose it.

Just booked a stay at an RCI exchange for the week following Thanksgiving. The RCI point cost is 160, and I've got to tell you, the exchange in no way is even. WDW DVC is a desirable location and property. That used to mean something. But it's been my experience that 160 pts DVC is equated with 160 pts. RCI. Really? What about being on WDW property? What about the value of having buses take you anywhere? What about the value of Extra magic hours? That doesn't add into the value anywhere. All I can say is at least I'm getting something rather than losing my points altogether. I won't let that happen again.

The Disney Collection isn't the best value use of points, but being able to use my points that have built up again for a week's stay at the Poly during Christmas is a heckuva lot better than the RCI exchange!!! And that's in reference to the RCI gold and silver crown properties!!!
I don't see any blame for RCI, or DVC for that matter, in terms of trades and trade power as the current system is set up. I see no blame for RCI in any way on this subject though I do disagree with how DVD has decided to align themselves with RCI (and II before) by limiting choices and access. With II DVC was treated the SAME as any similarly rated resort in the area. RCI has raised the value of DVC somewhat, at least on the inbound side, it's not clear if they've done the same on the outbound direction. It really SHOULDN'T matter though with RCI since DVC is treated more as a points resort though with hybrid features to weeks as well. Unfortunately RCI has less top choices than does II.

I think many DVC members tend to significantly overestimate DVC's real value and demand in terms of timeshares trades both inbound and outbound. There are many resorts and times that are in higher demand than DVC where RCI is concerned.

Choices are always good but in terms of a current purchase, the cost for those choices is dramatic if related to any type of trading. It'd be like buying the extended warranty on a car and paying an extra 25-50% of more. It's nice to have if it's included at the same price but definitely not worth paying much for.

Our intent would be to determine what we would like from our home resort for a yearly trip to WDW (ie. season, type of villa, our normal length of stay) and buy points accordingly. We would not be buying points with the intent to trade or looking at what we would need for a trade. If a situation came up where we would use that option we would look to book according to what our DVC points would afford us.
I'm hearing you say 2 different things. One is that you want to buy points to use at DVC, but above you also talked about buying to trade about once every 5 years. Reading between the lines in this note it seems like you're still having those thoughts in terms of buying what you'd need for DVC every year but maybe taking a break every few years and still using the points. If that's the case and you're buying a large enough points contract (150 or more with my suggestions) by just buying what you'd use at DVC using banking and borrowing, I'd recommend you simply buy less points. Maybe enough to go 4 times in 5 years.

My thoughts would vary slightly based on your expected usage. For example, if you're looking at say Magic season for a week in a 2 BR, you do not need extra points above your anticipated needed when you calculate. OTOH, if you'd looking at a studio adventure season, you likely should consider a cushion of around 10% or maybe even a little more. Now it may be that the perfect contract otherwise has a little more points than you calculated you need, that's one of the issues of resale. In general, it's better to have a little too few points than too many from a financial and long term plan. Esp if we're talking 160-270 points not accounted for every 4-5 years.

It's also my experience that many people long term need fewer points than they thought they would. I've also seen a trend where those buying with the idea of trading occasionally are likely to trade more than they thought. Once you get up to every 3 years or so it's often better to own another timeshare for trading than other choices. The only way DVC is likely to be a reasonable vehicle for trade is if they allow access to all resorts, allow members to request larger units than deposited, allow access to RCI directly, allow the members to pick the deposits and have reduced costs (number of points) inside the 45 day window.

The idea that DVC is a top option and a poor choice to trade isn't unique to DVC, the same principles apply to any top end, high cost, high demand timeshare. That's the reason I rent my high end options the years I don't use them.

We ran into that situation a few years ago. A member services rep suggested depositing into RCI system and we had up to 2 years to book a vacation in that service. Long story short, we are in a situation where we have to use the RCI week or lose it.

Just booked a stay at an RCI exchange for the week following Thanksgiving. The RCI point cost is 160, and I've got to tell you, the exchange in no way is even. WDW DVC is a desirable location and property. That used to mean something. But it's been my experience that 160 pts DVC is equated with 160 pts. RCI. Really? What about being on WDW property? What about the value of having buses take you anywhere? What about the value of Extra magic hours? That doesn't add into the value anywhere. All I can say is at least I'm getting something rather than losing my points altogether. I won't let that happen again.

We found ourselves in this same predicament...we have booked the Quarter House in New Orleans for Christmas week. Which was exactly what I wanted. I have seen some great reviews and there another DIS DVCer who traded for the same property and gave it a good review.
We get to stay right in the French Quarter on our DVC points.
We did buy into DVC because we can also trade out but this is our first time doing it (members since '09). It's not something we plan on doing often, but it is nice to have the option. We know it might not be the best use of points, but for us, it works. We financed our DVC, so the $ is coming out of our pockets anyway, to not have to save up for accomodations really helps us.

Basically we go to WDW every year or every other year and so far we love our DVC! Without it, we would not be able to afford Deluxe properties for 7+ nights! :thumbsup2

Glad it worked out well for you. The only resort we pulled up in PA is Hershey and that was totally booked. Manhattan Club is another we could use and is reasonably nearby and that was always booked as well! I'm sure we would have made out better if we put the time into learning the system and could determine what we'd like to do 2 years out!!! ;-)

There is a Manhattan Club week in the system right now, as it happens. Ignore the trading power value; those only apply to regular Weeks members. Hershey is often available in the offseason, but if you want to go when the park is open, you probably need an ongoing request. (Though, for Hershey, I would probably rent from a Bluegreen owner rather than exchange DVC points for it.)

The Manhattan Club (#4064)
Studio 4 (2) Partial Sat 26-Oct-2013 Sat 02-Nov-2013 Exchange Fee 50

There is a Manhattan Club week in the system right now, as it happens. Ignore the trading power value; those only apply to regular Weeks members. Hershey is often available in the offseason, but if you want to go when the park is open, you probably need an ongoing request. (Though, for Hershey, I would probably rent from a Bluegreen owner rather than exchange DVC points for it.)

134 points for a studio though, not bad. One can also often rent or private exchange with BG owners for the Manhattan club now.

I was working in a pretty tight time frame to try to use before I lost the week. Where we are at with our lives right now, it's difficult to plan a year or two out. Hershey's only an hour away and a pretty easy drive so it's doubtful I'd go for that a year or two out. Manhattan Club...same issue with visiting the city vs. staying in the city. Usually arises when there's a concert or special event I want to attend....which isn't announced until a few months before the performance.

In the past, I rented Marriott properties in Orlando direct from owners. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. Is the best place for that still TUG?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter