...And Then Scotty Happened. A Hawaiian Adventure (CHAPTER 32 Added 5/23--THE END)

Yeah for Kona Brewing! We really like that place and can vouch for the pizza. We like their IPA but you can't get it here, or even there in a bottle. Major bummer.

I have a matching glass...used to have 2 but sadly, it's a solo act now. Love the slogan!

I've had nothing but good luck with Outrigger, very decent for the price. Fun update.

6 scoops...5 people...no brainer.

Pretzels in Hawaii though? that should have been a deal killer right there.

Well, gee, how did that get there?:confused3

Well maybe because I am constantly finding "treasures" from a certain DL haunt, either in my purse, or in the car after we get home. We don't have kids, but Fran claims that since they don't sell the merchandise "she has no choice." :lmao:

Ok. Read your intro... Yep, just as I thought, nonsense...utter nonsense. Just kidding, just kidding.

What a fun treat to get to go to Hawaii. On Julie's pay. I went to work last month too, but instead of a vacation, I "get" to pay for a wedding. And after that I "get" to pay for nursing school. Long term investment kinds of stuff and all that.

I'm rambling. Great intro.... I'll be back!

Yeah for Kona Brewing! We really like that place and can vouch for the pizza. We like their IPA but you can't get it here, or even there in a bottle. Major bummer.

Yeah, they had quite a few that were "draft only". I was begging them to bottle the Black Sand Porter. I think that one would do well.

I have a matching glass...used to have 2 but sadly, it's a solo act now. Love the slogan!

:thumbsup2 Now I know what to get you for Christmas!

I've had nothing but good luck with Outrigger, very decent for the price. Fun update.

It certainly worked out well for us! I remember you recommended them before we left.

6 scoops...5 people...no brainer.

Pretzels in Hawaii though? that should have been a deal killer right there.

We're suckers for beer cheese sauce. What can we say?

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

A belated Merry Christmas to you, Tammie! Thanks for cheering this place up a bit!

Well maybe because I am constantly finding "treasures" from a certain DL haunt, either in my purse, or in the car after we get home. We don't have kids, but Fran claims that since they don't sell the merchandise "she has no choice." :lmao:

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Hopefully the judge will buy it! :rotfl:

Ok. Read your intro... Yep, just as I thought, nonsense...utter nonsense. Just kidding, just kidding.

:rotfl2: No, you were right the first time.

:welcome: Liesa! So great to have you back here. :goodvibes

What a fun treat to get to go to Hawaii. On Julie's pay. I went to work last month too, but instead of a vacation, I "get" to pay for a wedding. And after that I "get" to pay for nursing school. Long term investment kinds of stuff and all that.

Yeah, that's no fun. But I bet you'll be able to sock away a little bit here and there for some fun. Unlike us, who blew it all on the trip, and now have no 2nd income and have no idea how we'll pay for college, weddings, etc. Ain't life fun?

I'm rambling. Great intro.... I'll be back!

:thumbsup2 I look forward to hearing from you!

Mark, to you, Julie, Sarah, David, Scotty and the new baby,

Happy New Year to you and yours, Kathy! And happy birthday too.

And Happy New Year to all of my faithful readers!

Captain_Oblivious said:
:rotfl2: No, you were right the first time.

:welcome: Liesa! So great to have you back here. :goodvibes

Yeah, that's no fun. But I bet you'll be able to sock away a little bit here and there for some fun. Unlike us, who blew it all on the trip, and now have no 2nd income and have no idea how we'll pay for college, weddings, etc. Ain't life fun?

:thumbsup2 I look forward to hearing from you!

So many quotes; so little capability without a real computer. Alas, replies will have to wait until vacation is over and I can try my rusty hand at fancy-ing things up. Meantime.... back to eating clam chowder by the Pacific Ocean and watching the sea lions. Enjoy your NYE plans!

I just read your trip report over the past few days because we are considering Hawaii in 2015. I thought we were the only family who packed PB&J on vacation!

Thanks for the trip report. It's nice to read one that is written with a sense of humor.

I admit it, I was reluctant to read a TR devoted to Hawaii, and specifically Aulani because I never thought I'd be even remotely interested in going to any Disney resort other than WDW.

Consider me an idiot. And forever reformed. And tempted.

Wow!

Up to Chapter 3 and still chipping away. :)

So many quotes; so little capability without a real computer. Alas, replies will have to wait until vacation is over and I can try my rusty hand at fancy-ing things up. Meantime.... back to eating clam chowder by the Pacific Ocean and watching the sea lions. Enjoy your NYE plans!

Hope you've had a great vacation! I saw your post on FB about hubby being sick--ugh. Hope he's back on his feet soon.

I just read your trip report over the past few days because we are considering Hawaii in 2015. I thought we were the only family who packed PB&J on vacation!

:welcome: It's good to know there are other cheapskates like us around! :rotfl2:

Thanks for the trip report. It's nice to read one that is written with a sense of humor.

Thank you for reading along! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I admit it, I was reluctant to read a TR devoted to Hawaii, and specifically Aulani because I never thought I'd be even remotely interested in going to any Disney resort other than WDW.

Consider me an idiot. And forever reformed. And tempted.

Wow!

Up to Chapter 3 and still chipping away. :)

Thanks for sticking with me! It's hard not to fall in love with Aulani once you see it. It's nice to see Disney pouring maximum effort into a property that isn't tied to a theme park. Walking through the lobby doors gave us that same feeling of being removed from the real world that you get when you walk into a WDW resort.:goodvibes

All finished with the first section, and have no idea how many more to go, cuz, well I honestly haven't looked ahead. I gotta admit I"m kinda sad to be leaving Aulani; Disney has brewed up some pretty strong Kool Aid there. The only other lazy river that even comes close to rivaling that one was in Dubai. Hawaii's closer.

I'm so happy I just found this TR. So far I've just read the first few entires and your writing style is so much fun to read.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your last TR, especially the humorous entries about the South of the Border town. Also, and my memory could be failing me, but I think it was your TR that inspired me to take dozens of silly hat pics of my son on a recent trip to WDW.

I have 3 nights in Hawaii later this year and am crossing my fingers for some DVC points for Aulani. Am looking forward to catching up with more of your report to hear how you enjoyed your stay there :)

All finished with the first section, and have no idea how many more to go, cuz, well I honestly haven't looked ahead. I gotta admit I"m kinda sad to be leaving Aulani; Disney has brewed up some pretty strong Kool Aid there. The only other lazy river that even comes close to rivaling that one was in Dubai. Hawaii's closer.

Dubai! Now that sounds like an interesting visit.

We were pretty sad to leave Aulani too! The visit felt way too short. But unfortunately, we were really stretching the budget to stay there in the first place. Even that brief taste of it was a blessing, though. I hope we can go back someday.

I'm so happy I just found this TR. So far I've just read the first few entires and your writing style is so much fun to read.

:welcome: to the nuthouse! I remember you checking in on the last TR, so glad you're here!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your last TR, especially the humorous entries about the South of the Border town. Also, and my memory could be failing me, but I think it was your TR that inspired me to take dozens of silly hat pics of my son on a recent trip to WDW.

Well, we all have to give KatMark credit for the Silly Hat Pictures®. But really, how can anyone resist?

I have 3 nights in Hawaii later this year and am crossing my fingers for some DVC points for Aulani. Am looking forward to catching up with more of your report to hear how you enjoyed your stay there :)

I hope you get the chance to stay there! Beg, borrow and steal if you have to. It's really an amazing place.

Real Life Update:

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a nice, restful holiday season. I wasn't at work, so mine was great.

Just wanted to announce that we are now officially under a Baby Watch. Julie is officially due on Feb. 5, but she was 2 weeks early with David and 3 weeks early with Scotty, so we're in that window when it could happen at any time. Feel free to send in your guesses as to the gender, birth date and time, weight, etc.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

They call it “The Big Island” for a reason.

Our goal for the day was to explore Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. As the crow flies, it’s about 48 miles from the town of Kona. The only thing standing in the way is the most massive mountain in the world.

Mauna Loa is still an active volcano, and stands 13,680 ft. above sea level. However, measured from its base at the ocean floor, its total height is over 30,000 ft., which would make it taller than Mt. Everest and the rest of the Himalayas. Because its eruptions have generally tended toward slow, smooth lava flows, it’s known as a “shield volcano”, due to its gently sloping shape to a cone at the top. This lava flow has built up the mountain’s volume to a point that dwarfs most other volcanoes in the world. We’ll have a picture of a diagram later that helps illustrate this.

Anyway, why do we care? Well, that mountain was in between point A and point B for us. There’s no road over the top of the mountain. So you have to go around it. Which meant that our drive was going to be closer to 100 miles on a curvy 2-lane road cut into the sides of the mountain slopes. The speed limit was 35 mph for a good portion of the drive, getting up to 50 mph on the flatter sections. In other words, this was going to take a while. There’d better be something worthwhile at the other end. Like natural phenomena of a kind not normally witnessed in Delaware, for example.

We set off fairly early in the morning, as we not only had a lot of ground to cover, but a lot we wanted to see. Our first stop was for breakfast: there weren’t many choices south of town, but the guidebook had made mention of a little hole-in-the-wall bakery called Coffees ‘n Epicurea. And no, I have no idea what “epicurea” means and was too lazy to look it up. I’m guessing it’s a euphemism for “pot”.

IMG_1920.jpg

You know we love our obscure hole-in-the-wall joints. Each one produces a good story. Unfortunately, some of them produce stories for the wrong reasons. We walked into the bakery hoping for some glorious pastries that would make a complete and satisfying breakfast. What we got was a single forlorn glass display case with a few scattered pastries inside. There was a menu helpfully posted on the wall behind the case that mentioned cinnamon rolls. Who doesn’t like a good cinnamon roll for breakfast? We didn’t see any in the case, though. I figured that since this was a bakery, they were probably making more in the kitchen.

Eventually, a tall, lanky, overly-tattoed worker ambled his way over and asked in perfect Stoner/Surfer speak, “Uhhh…like, can I help you?”

I asked if they had any cinnamon rolls. He looked down at the case, with an expression on his face as though he were trying to figure out why Andy Reid would call a timeout right after the two-minute warning. Finally, he looked up and said, “Uhhhh…looks like we do not.”

This was the last stop before we left civilization, and the kids were starving. So, we were limited to the choices in the display case. There were 4 apple turnovers, and I figured that was a safe choice. Scotty thought that sounded kind of exotic, so he went with a plain croissant. Now we needed some coffee. That involved moving to a separate table and menu. Here in the heart of the Kona Coast, I wanted 100% pure Kona coffee. Nothing but the good stuff, please. I was directed to a small dispenser exactly like the ones you would find in the breakfast room of your local Holiday Inn Express. The coffee was fine, but not exactly what I had imagined going in. Julie got fancy and decided to get a mocha latte. Again, this caused much consternation for Stoney, and he furrowed his brow much like I used to do whenever Andy Reid would call another screen pass on 3rd-and-17 in the 4th quarter.

“Uhhh…we’re, like, out of mocha,” Stoney announced.

If you stopped by a bakery specializing in coffee and pastries at 7:00 in the morning, you wouldn’t expect them to be fully stocked, would you?

Anyway, he offered to try and put in some chocolate ganache from the bakery. After waiting a while, he was finally done and we were on our way. Julie said her latte tasted like Valvoline. The apple turnovers were actually pretty good, very light and flaky (and messy in the rental car). The only downside was that there was less than a teaspoon of apple filling in each one.

Keep in mind that we hadn’t made a Costco run since we were only going to be on the island for 2 days. There was no PB&J or other snacks in the car.

We drove on, winding our way around the southern tip of the island. It was slow going for a while, but eventually the road flattened out, development became scarce, and we could drive a little faster (not too fast—this road is notorious for speed traps, according to the book). With every mile, I reminded myself that I’d have to do this drive again in the evening. So we had that going for us, which was nice.

At one point, there was a side road leading to the Southernmost Point in the United States. It’s helpfully called South Point Road. We had considered it, but it’s an 11-mile side trip down a partially dirt road, and there’s no memorial or anything very memorable at the end. You just stand at a cliff edge and proclaim yourself to be standing at the southernmost point in the U.S. We figured we were already further south than anywhere on the mainland and could see the end from a convenient overlook on the main road, so that was close enough for us.

IMG_1922.jpg

We rounded the mountain and started heading north, and back uphill. We were about 30 miles away from the park entrance when we got this view. See that plume of white smoke going straight up from the mountainside? That, my friends, is an erupting volcano. Kilauea Crater.

IMG_1925.jpg

Finally, we made it. Here’s the obligatory “pictures or it didn’t happen” shot for documentation purposes.

IMG_1932.jpg

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park was established in 1916 and covers over 500 square miles of land, stretching from Mauna Loa all the way east to the ocean and encompassing Kilauea and numerous other craters and hot spots. There are two main roads: Crater Rim Drive, which circles Kilauea Crater, and Chain of Craters Road, which extends down to the sea before being cut off abruptly by a 2003 lava flow. Kilauea has been active since March 2008, and so part of Crater Rim Drive has been closed downwind. That’s because the plume of gas coming out of the crater is sulfur dioxide, which is poisonous.

Unfortunately, the part of the road that is closed includes the Halema’uma’u overlook, from which you can peer into the deepest part of the crater and actually see the lava pool. They did set up a webcam so you can see what it looks like, though. Here’s the link:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cams/panorama.php?cam=HMcam

After a stop in the visitor center, we drove down the portion of Crater Rim Drive that was open and stopped at the first overlook. Here you can see various steam vents spewing hot gas from deep beneath the earth’s surface. I have to admit, it’s a little strange walking around and thinking about what might be happening underneath your feet.

IMG_1936.jpg

The heat was pretty intense, actually. I could only hold my hand over it for a second or two.

IMG_1933.jpg

Of course, this didn’t prevent idiot tourists from tossing coins down into the vent. Who’s the poor park ranger that’s going to have to climb down in the heat to collect it?

IMG_1937.jpg

Anyway, a short trail led us to our first glimpse of Kilauea itself.

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

Just a half-mile down the road was the Jaggar Museum, which afforded a view even closer to the volcano.

IMG_1955.jpg

Inside the museum were some more exhibits. Nerd Alert!!

This display showed the size of Mauna Loa relative to other famous mountains in the world.

IMG_1964.jpg

And this one gives a good picture of how plate tectonics allowed the Hawaiian islands to form through volcanic eruptions. Kauai and Ni’ihau are the oldest islands, Hawaii is the youngest, and just to the east is Lo’ihi--still underwater but probably the next island that will form in the chain.

IMG_1965.jpg

They had various samples of lava you could touch as well. Pahoehoe is smooth and gooey before it hardens as it cools, like nature’s version of the chocolate shell on your ice cream. A’a is rocky and chunky, which obviously makes it the Oreo crumbs in this tortured metaphor.

Nature has nothing similar to Scotty, though. He just happens.

IMG_1968.jpg

End Nerd Alert.

Outside the museum, Julie spotted this red spiky flower thingy:

IMG_1970.jpg

And we also saw a clear view of the observatories on the summit of Mauna Kea.

IMG_1973.jpg

We left the museum and drove towards Chain of Craters Road. Don’t worry, you haven’t seen the last of Kilauea. Our next stop was a trail for the Thurston Lava Tube. The trail led us through a dense tropical forest. Even though we’d now been in Hawaii for almost 2 weeks, it was still stunning how quickly we could travel between dry, rocky terrain and lush jungle.

IMG_1976.jpg

We also saw this red bulb-y flower thingy.

IMG_1986.jpg

Here’s the entrance to the lava tube. Raise your hand if, like me, you expected a guy in a leather jacket and a fedora and a giant boulder to come rolling out of this cave at any moment.

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

The lava tube was formed when conditions cause the surface of a lava flow to cool, while the rest still flows underneath. Eventually it empties and leaves the empty cave behind. In this case, it left behind a 1/2-mile hike through a dark cave. There’s not much else to say except it’s really cool inside. Literally and figuratively speaking.

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

At this point, it was still mid-morning and we had a lot more of the park to cover. And no snacks or lunch supplies in the car.

Coming Up Next: Hikes! More hikes! And did I mention that this park is in the middle of nowhere with few options for lunch available?

If you stopped by a bakery specializing in coffee and pastries at 7:00 in the morning, you wouldn’t expect them to be fully stocked, would you?

Yes. Yes, I would.

Anyway, he offered to try and put in some chocolate ganache from the bakery.

It sounded like a good idea at the time.

Keep in mind that we hadn’t made a Costco run since we were only going to be on the island for 2 days. There was no PB&J or other snacks in the car.

Also keep in mind that there is a hormonal, pregnant lady in the car who gets very cranky when her blood sugar drops because of lack of food.

After a stop in the visitor center, we drove down the portion of Crater Rim Drive that was open and stopped at the first overlook. Here you can see various steam vents spewing hot gas from deep beneath the earth’s surface. I have to admit, it’s a little strange walking around and thinking about what might be happening underneath your feet.

Yeah, if you start to think about it TOO much, you get a little freaked out!

The heat was pretty intense, actually. I could only hold my hand over it for a second or two.

Ever put your hand over a boiling pot of spaghetti. Yup. Same thing.

Nerd Alert!!

Admit it, you're excited about this part!

Here’s the entrance to the lava tube. Raise your hand if, like me, you expected a guy in a leather jacket and a fedora and a giant boulder to come rolling out of this cave at any moment.

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

The lava tube was formed when conditions cause the surface of a lava flow to cool, while the rest still flows underneath. Eventually it empties and leaves the empty cave behind. In this case, it left behind a 1/2-mile hike through a dark cave. There’s not much else to say except it’s really cool inside. Literally and figuratively speaking.

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

Waking through a lava tube is a really cool experience. I was thankful for that photograph class that I took, because I thought I got some neat shots in the tube.

At this point, it was still mid-morning and we had a lot more of the park to cover. And no snacks or lunch supplies in the car.

And an irritable, pregnant lady.

Coming Up Next: Hikes! More hikes! And did I mention that this park is in the middle of nowhere with few options for lunch available?

Won't SOMEBODy think of the pregnant lady and get her some food?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter