• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An Imagineer Fell For Bill - **New 10/19 Last 2 installments**

After eating we got in the line for the next presentation.

D23’s Steven Vagnini and The Walt Disney Museum’s Paul F. Anderson were the next presenters. They discussed Walt’s vision and why it never happened. Bill and I have always been intrigued by Walt’s idea for building a real city, he was very innovative.

May2011greycamera174.jpg

Here is a sketch Walt drew showing his concepts for the Florida property:

May2011greycamera180.jpg

Walt made a film a couple weeks before his death in it he described what EPCOT was all about. He shot two endings, one most of us have seen, the other for the Florida government, a plea for their endorsement.

May2011greycamera181.jpg

Concept drawing:

May2011greycamera178.jpg

Even though the city of EPCOT never happened, many of Walt’s ideas have happened on the property. The utilidors, the Automated Vacuum Assisted Collection System and the Monorail to name a few. It is such a shame Walt’s city didn’t come to light, it was a great idea.

Next up was:

Past Forward: A History of Walt Disney World on Television
3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Join Disney Archivist Rob Klein and Tim O’Day as they take TV remote in hand to stroll through some of the many highlights of Walt Disney World Resort on television.

There were several clips including things from Grad Night commercials to Glen Campbell hosting a show about the opening of Disney World. There were several laughs when the Grad Night stuff was on because it was so cheesy.

Bob Hope made some rather racy jokes for the times. When talking about the Contemporary’s large interior he said, “Now I know where the Goodyear blimp goes during mating season.”

May2011greycamera190.jpg

We all laughed at that. There was a clip of Mike Douglas television special. It is hard to convey all that we saw. I was in camera battery saving mode at the time because I had gone insane that morning taking pictures. I was such a newbie when it came to this. I just wanted to try to remember it all.

The Walt Disney World That Never Was

4:30 p.m. - 5:45 p.m.
What do the Western River Expedition, Asian Resort Hotel and Sleeping Beauty dark ride have in common? While these amazing experiences were crafted in the minds of skilled artists at Walt Disney Imagineering, they comprise a different kind of dimension of Walt Disney World history: the grand experiences that never made it off the drawing board or out of the model shop. With an array of rare artwork and photographs, longtime Imagineer Tony Baxter lifts the curtain and takes us on a behind-the-scenes tour through the incredible world of the Walt Disney World that never was.

There was no photography allowed during this presentation.

Did you know there were several resorts that were planned that never happened?
One of the original designs had several hotels surrounding Magic Kingdom. The Asian, Venetian, and Persian were planned but never built. There were also a few attractions never built, Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, and The Sword and the Stone to name a few. He also told us about Thunder Mesa &The Western River Expedition. Steve Vagnini searched the Imagineering Archives and showed us a virtural ride through with concept art not seen in a long time. It was amazing.

After this there was a dinner break, we stayed close and waited to line up again. I know some people didn’t go to see all the presentations but Bill and I didn’t want to miss one.

The last presentation of the night was:

From the Vault: Walt Disney World Resort on Film

8 p.m. - Join your hosts Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter and Disney author and historian Tim O'Day as they screen these rare treasures from the Disney film vaults, plus newly discovered and restored documentation footage of the construction and early years of Walt Disney World Resort.

This presentation had a fantastic showing of studio-produced films, that included “Project Florida”, “The Magic of Walt Disney World”, “A Dream Called EPCOT” and “EPCOT 77”.

After the presentation we went to the bus stop at the Contemporary and were treated to fireworks:

May2011greycamera200.jpg

It was such a great way to end the day.

Next installment… Destination D Day 2 Part 1

The presentations all look so interesting!! I would love to hear all of those Disney stories!

Wow, sounds like an interesting day! I wish I could have been there. Great update! :)

I have enjoyed the photos and stories in the last updates! Very interesting! I spent my Grad Night at WDW! It was a lot of fun!

Well, you have 100% convinced me! The next time Destination D comes to WDW (and I've heard rumors it will be for Epcot's 30th), I will be there! It just looks too awesome to miss! Thanks for being such an inspiration (and enabler!) ;)

The presentations all look so interesting!! I would love to hear all of those Disney stories!

It was amazing :goodvibes.

Sounds like a very cool -- and interesting -- time!

It was :).

Wow, sounds like an interesting day! I wish I could have been there. Great update! :)

Thanks!!!

I have enjoyed the photos and stories in the last updates! Very interesting! I spent my Grad Night at WDW! It was a lot of fun!

I bet Grad Nights were great.

Such an interesting history behind Disney World, I love hearing all about it.

We love learning about Disney history.

Well, you have 100% convinced me! The next time Destination D comes to WDW (and I've heard rumors it will be for Epcot's 30th), I will be there! It just looks too awesome to miss! Thanks for being such an inspiration (and enabler!) ;)

I hadn't heard that rumor, I wanna go!!!

thanjk you for another great update.

Thank you for reading and posting!

Thanks for the update. It is all so interesting. I would love to see a Sleeping Beauty dark ride as that is my favorite princess movie from when I was a little girl. Can't wait to hear more!!!

Wow! Great update! I would love to visit the expo sometime.
-----------------------
Just a question un-related to TR,

Are you guys going to Ip-Dip this year?
90% sure for me and Nova. Still shopping airfares.

Thanks for the update. It is all so interesting. I would love to see a Sleeping Beauty dark ride as that is my favorite princess movie from when I was a little girl. Can't wait to hear more!!!

We were so happy we went, it was a great event.

Wow! Great update! I would love to visit the expo sometime.
-----------------------
Just a question un-related to TR,

Are you guys going to Ip-Dip this year?
90% sure for me and Nova. Still shopping airfares.

No Ip-Dip for us, hope you go and have a great time though :goodvibes.

I really need a D23 membership so I can go to all these cool things!!!

Our membership is due at the end of October, I just wish they would announce the Magic and Merriment information. I think I will renew either way though.

I'm enjoying the glimpses of Disney history and Walt's ideas that were not implemented. Walt's mind churned out such incredible ideas and concepts!

Sounds lie a great day!! I just really can't fathom the creativity that lived in Walt's mind... even by today's standards he would blow everyone else out of the water! Simply amazing!

Loved, loved, loved all the pictures. So glad you took them all and posted them for all of us to see! :thumbsup2

This my be my favorite TR ever. I have looked at your pics a dozen times and they're great. Keep up the good work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter