Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

I often read that people don't think that they can 'do it' meaning travel by train:confused3
You CAN!! It is much less stress than driving-and to me flying!
No bag fees either!You wanna take 2 giant suitcases per person-go for it!
Seeing the sights makes it like another vacation and not just transportation! We love it!
As for the delays-yes, it has happened to me. The worst was about 6 hours late and that was 13 years ago.You are sleeping through most of the time the train is stopped so you don't realize until you wake up and find out. That I would say is a worst case situation and not as common as some lead you to believe.To see stats for yourself, do what I do and check out their report on the latest train times at http://www.amtrakdelays.com
The week before I left every train I checked was running on time or within a 1/2 hr. We arrived on time to the minute!!
I can't say enough about how much fun and stressfree it is compared with other travel!:thumbsup2

Thanks so much for this report. I'm actually close to Penn Station but just found out (I guess I live under a rock) that there's an Auto train in VA somewhere, dont know if DH would want to drive to VA when we're literally two stops on MTA from 34th St or a five min cab ride anyhoot ... On your trip, how often did the train stop? Were you able to get off train or are you literally stuck on it the entire ride??

Stuck?? You mean 'happily being lazy!'
The gift of the train is that you just sit and watch the states roll by.The train makes occasional stops but very few are more than 5min or so.They will let you know when one will be a bit long and you can walk outside if you wish(smokers do!)
Also remember that it will be overnight and you will be sleeping for some of the journey-so you aren't actually "literally stuck on it the entire ride". We arrive in Orlando around 9:30AM so we sleep from about midnight until 7 or 8AM.
As for the auto train-it is just outside of DC area.Not the cheapest BUT you would have your car.I prefer to just rent a car down there but to each his own :)

I never have felt I was stuck. I have traveled from Boston to Orlando three times, Boston to Baltimore once, Portland, Maine to Boston once and I have reservations to go from Boston to Philadelphia in October. I normally bring a book or two or now my Kindle and watch the world go by. When the train is stopped in a station for a longer stop I will get out and walk around next to the train. I find train travel to be the most civilized way to travel rather then the cattle car feeling of an airplane.

Hi. Found this thread and had to subscribe. We are thinking of taking the train from Boston to Orlando (or Kissimee). I don't fly so I like the idea of taking the train. I have to convince DH and DD (11). Looking forward to reading more.

Stuck?? You mean 'happily being lazy!'
The gift of the train is that you just sit and watch the states roll by.The train makes occasional stops but very few are more than 5min or so.They will let you know when one will be a bit long and you can walk outside if you wish(smokers do!)
Also remember that it will be overnight and you will be sleeping for some of the journey-so you aren't actually "literally stuck on it the entire ride". We arrive in Orlando around 9:30AM so we sleep from about midnight until 7 or 8AM.
As for the auto train-it is just outside of DC area.Not the cheapest BUT you would have your car.I prefer to just rent a car down there but to each his own :)

I totally agree and sharing all this great info with DH and he's "ALL ABOARD'!!! (just had to do that lol) ... He first came up with the idea of driving - he's crazy. I would never. Road trip my a.. I'd rather fly but don't rather spend half my budget on air fare. So Amtrak here we come! We did decide on leaving from Penn Station thus renting a car once we get there? Who did you use for that (car rental) and where?

back on train ... I'm debating whether I should pay for a roomette or just stick with coach. I know every train ride is totally different, but I don't know why I feel more secure sleeping on a plane than a train (if in coach). Perhaps the fear of the unknown. but fear nonethless. Apparently my departure train (am train) is running some rediculous experiment and by the time I ride would have removed their dining car (I was looking forward to this).

My DH is down for whatever but I'm the one that is going to be up all night and I dont know if the roomette is really worth the added cost, nor do I want to regret not getting on it once I'm on the train. decisions, decisions ... :confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3

Just got off the phone with an Amtrak representative concerning assigned seating. I told her the train numbers and asked if seats were reserved and assigned. She told me they were reserved, but not necessarily assigned. I told her my concerns about our party of 4 being split up and she said that wouldn't happen considering we have 2 adults and 2 children. I just hope we can sit across from each other and not in front or behind!

Hi, I know this is a super old thread but I have this same concern today! lol If you can remember what was the outcome and how soon should I arrive to avoid a front/back seating? Im travelling with my DH and 3 DS's each of us would be with a little one and my 13 yr old would not be but I want him across from me not in front or behind next to a stranger where I cant see him. Is it a mad dash for seats you think? Thanks!

Hi ... just came across your post and was wondering where in Kissimmee is the train stop and i you possibly know does it go to NY. I am boarding from Penn Station in NYC. Thanks in advance.

Hi ... just came across your post and was wondering where in Kissimmee is the train stop and i you possibly know does it go to NY. I am boarding from Penn Station in NYC. Thanks in advance.
The Silver Star and Silver Meteor both have their northern terminus at New York's Penn station, with connecting service to Boston. More info here:

http://www.amtrak.com/silver-service-palmetto-train

Station info is here:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=KIS

We are taking the auto train this summer from Lorton to Sanford. I took the auto train back in 1994 with my family (I was 13 at the time) and we had seats. This time with DH and our 2 DD (8 & 5) we have opted for 2 rooms. We got one roomette and one bedroom (with shower and toilet). I am not a huge fan of flying and we wanted to have our car in Orlando because we are going to the darkside (i.e. Universal) while we are at Disney. I am super excited to take the train. A little nervous about getting motion sickness when I "sleep" but am going to buy some stuff to take before the trip so help this from not happening.

I totally agree and sharing all this great info with DH and he's "ALL ABOARD'!!! (just had to do that lol) ... He first came up with the idea of driving - he's crazy. I would never. Road trip my a.. I'd rather fly but don't rather spend half my budget on air fare. So Amtrak here we come! We did decide on leaving from Penn Station thus renting a car once we get there? Who did you use for that (car rental) and where?

back on train ... I'm debating whether I should pay for a roomette or just stick with coach. I know every train ride is totally different, but I don't know why I feel more secure sleeping on a plane than a train (if in coach). Perhaps the fear of the unknown. but fear nonethless. Apparently my departure train (am train) is running some rediculous experiment and by the time I ride would have removed their dining car (I was looking forward to this).

My DH is down for whatever but I'm the one that is going to be up all night and I dont know if the roomette is really worth the added cost, nor do I want to regret not getting on it once I'm on the train. decisions, decisions ... :confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3

Personally, if the roomette is a decent price I would grab it. Traveling coach isn't bad at all but the privacy is so nice, also the dining room meal is included and you can eat in the roomette if you choose.

Personally, if the roomette is a decent price I would grab it. Traveling coach isn't bad at all but the privacy is so nice, also the dining room meal is included and you can eat in the roomette if you choose.

Well DH and I finally decided to go coach this time (first timers) and risk the experience of it. If we know for a fact after this time its a no go, we'll grab a room next time. The thought of paying more than double for the train than for the resort for 8 nights is unsettling. And now of course the train I want to take in the am doesn't even offer the delicious food I keep hearing about, just "cafe" foods. Something about a rediculous "experiment" for lower costs. blah blah Hope the food is good and filling. Thanks for the input!

We are taking the auto train this summer from Lorton to Sanford. I took the auto train back in 1994 with my family (I was 13 at the time) and we had seats. This time with DH and our 2 DD (8 & 5) we have opted for 2 rooms. We got one roomette and one bedroom (with shower and toilet). I am not a huge fan of flying and we wanted to have our car in Orlando because we are going to the darkside (i.e. Universal) while we are at Disney. I am super excited to take the train. A little nervous about getting motion sickness when I "sleep" but am going to buy some stuff to take before the trip so help this from not happening.

I hear ya! I have to remember to do the same (motion sickness pills or patches) my DS and I are sensitive. Is this your first time travelling via train?? Never thought I'd be a fan, but I'm pretty excited too!!!

Is this your first time travelling via train??

I went via train with my family back in 1994 but we only had coach seats and I was only 13 at the time. I don't remember too much just that I didn't sleep well in the coach seats. This time we got rooms.

Welcome new train fans :)
I have major motion sick issues and I have no trouble on the train if I take my meds daily! Bonine or Dramamine worked fine.
As for riding coach from NY- it is rough and the roomette is worth it. That said, it is a nasty hit to the budget

Be sure to read thru thread for info on the Amtrak Guest Rewards program and credit card!! Earn free travel!!!

I went via train with my family back in 1994 but we only had coach seats and I was only 13 at the time. I don't remember too much just that I didn't sleep well in the coach seats. This time we got rooms.

mmmm interesting - I know if I'm tired enough I will knock out and be dead to the world - my husband the same, but of he's not comfortable he may very well hold it against the whole trip, but we're on a budget. Just don't want to pay more for train than the actual resort for 10 days. We shall see :confused3:confused3

If you can sleep all night just fine in a La-Z-Boy, you'll be fine in coach, that's about the experience. I've done it to Chicago and it wasn't pleasant, but at the time I was unemployed so I dealt with it.

We'll be taking the train from NY to Orlando once again in October. First time on a train was in 2013 in a bedroom which was very comfy. This time we are in a roomette. We didn't want to ride coach and also daughter doesn't like flying. The roomette doesn't cost that much more than what are plane tickets would have been so instead of having my daughter stressing over a flight we will be riding the rails.

Not sure about dining car issues-maybe confirm on their site. Seems odd to have no dining??
From what I've been reading, starting July 1, 2015 and going through January 31, 2016 the Silver Star trains will be on a test program where instead of a dining car, food will be provided by a cafe car only.

The Silver Meteor trains will continue to have both a dining car and a cafe car for meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter