Amtrak auto train questions

Andy D.

Earning My Ears
Hi y'all! I am new to these forums! Y'all seem like super nice people.
I have some questions about the Amtrak auto train.
1. Is it feasible for someone to sleep well in coach seats? It is literally 1000 more expensive for the five of us in those cool roomettes, so I spec we'll be taking the coach. However, we're still considering the sleeper car. Is it worth it? Its $1000 roundtrip for 3 adults and 2 kids, $500 less than flying and rental car. It is the same price as flying if we only do the sleeper car one leg of the journey. Its $500 more than flying with both kegs with the sleeper car.
2. How is the food onboard?
3. Does this have an airplane feel, or is it better (besides the comfort of the seat).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Coach carriages can vary and I haven't done the Amtrack sleepers. But I have done long distance in coach.
1. it is feasible to sleep, but not real comfortable. Bring a few compact travel pillows and lightweight blankets and you have a better chance to sleep.
You will be better rested than if you drove for 2 days, but may not feel 100% fresh when you arrive and will be wishing for a shower. I would be doing the same thing as you ... weighing that extra sleeper cost to see if I could afford it.
2. Food is meh and expensive, but the auto train includes dinner and breakfast so no problem. But snacks and drinks can add up. Since most of my luggage stays in the car I might carry some snacks and drinks into the coach with me.
3. It's way better than an airplane. You can get up, stretch, walk around a bit, go to the lounge, watch a movie in the lounge, and the seats are way more comfortable than airline coach! I just looked and don't see electric outlets and Wi-Fi on this train yet.. hopefully that is coming.

I’ve done the sleeper several times as an adult but have only done the coach seats once and that was as a child. I recall not sleeping well in the coach seats as a child and arriving very tired but have no recent experience. With the sleeper I get a good nights sleep except that the train does make a stop in the middle of the night for a “smokers” break and the lack of train movement wakes me up. The first trip we made in 2012 the food was very good and we were served on real plates, real glasses, etc., it really felt special. Amtrak also provided a free wine and cheese to sleeper car guests which was very nice. Fast forward to 2014, and the food was not good and we were served on paper plates. Also there was no wine and cheese, that was cut out to save costs. Also you need to check in early if you care which dining time you are given. The wi-fi on the train is horrible, even in the bar car, you need to know that especially if you plan to pass the time watching movies. You need to download everything in advance. It is nice to be able to move around and stretch but other than going to eat, visiting the bar car, getting up to go the bathroom, you are mostly in your “room” or your seat. The movies shown in the bar car are very old movies, by the way. In 2012 I took the train with my family - 2 adults, 2 kids, for the experience and we all had a grand time. In 2014 I took it because I needed to get a car up North and taking the train allowed me to stay up until 3am the night before at the MK rather than sleeping so I could drive. In the future I would likely only take the auto train if it was a lot cheaper than flying, and I didn’t want to drive. Most years we drive from VA to Fl with 2 drivers, that is what we are doing this year.

1. Is it feasible for someone to sleep well in coach seats? It is literally 1000 more expensive for the five of us in those cool roomettes, so I spec we'll be taking the coach. However, we're still considering the sleeper car. Is it worth it? Its $1000 roundtrip for 3 adults and 2 kids, $500 less than flying and rental car. It is the same price as flying if we only do the sleeper car one leg of the journey. Its $500 more than flying with both kegs with the sleeper car.
3. Does this have an airplane feel, or is it better (besides the comfort of the seat).

The sleeper car was worth it for our family. We enjoyed having more space and private space to hang out.
The food was really good. There was plenty of it. We had snacks as soon as we boarded. Then supper, then breakfast.
The dining cars for those in the sleeper cars were really nice. The table lines, real dishes, good food, nice view, good wait staff. It felt like a vacation within a vacation.
The auto train sleeper cars are far better than an airplane, no comparison.
My favorite part about the sleeper car was being able to take a shower in the morning.
We got off the train refreshed and ready to start our vacation to WDW.

The sleeper car was worth it for our family. We enjoyed having more space and private space to hang out.
The food was really good. There was plenty of it. We had snacks as soon as we boarded. Then supper, then breakfast.
The dining cars for those in the sleeper cars were really nice. The table lines, real dishes, good food, nice view, good wait staff. It felt like a vacation within a vacation.
The auto train sleeper cars are far better than an airplane, no comparison.
My favorite part about the sleeper car was being able to take a shower in the morning.
We got off the train refreshed and ready to start our vacation to WDW.

It must be a while since you last rode the Auto Train. Sad to say, in March/April 2014 they changed over to paper table cloths and disposable plates at dinner. They no longer offer wine or snacks before the train pulls away to begin the trip. Sleeper car passengers now get the same meals as coach passengers and the sleeper lounge car was eliminated; sleeper passengers and coach passengers now share a single lounge car. No more USA Today paper in each room (meh, don't really miss that). And no, the fares didn't go down; they went up. There was a lot of discussion about this on the Auto Train thread last year.

It must be a while since you last rode the Auto Train. Sad to say, in March/April 2014 they changed over to paper table cloths and disposable plates at dinner. They no longer offer wine or snacks before the train pulls away to begin the trip. Sleeper car passengers now get the same meals as coach passengers and the sleeper lounge car was eliminated; sleeper passengers and coach passengers now share a single lounge car. No more USA Today paper in each room (meh, don't really miss that). And no, the fares didn't go down; they went up. There was a lot of discussion about this on the Auto Train thread last year.
That is really sad! :(
Thank you for posting! I would have never known. We did last travel before all those changes.

I know prices for coach seats probably vary but does anyone know the lowest and highest you can expect. We are thinking about a trip in March and it will be our first time.

I know prices for coach seats probably vary but does anyone know the lowest and highest you can expect. We are thinking about a trip in March and it will be our first time.

Prices tend to fluctuate by availability. As seats are sold, prices on the remaining seats tend to go up over time - supply and demand. However, we've been pleasantly surprised once with an unexpected price drop. We generally try to book seats as soon as possible; about 11 months before traveling. If the price drops, we get the difference back as a refund.

I suggest you visit the main Auto Train thread http://www.disboards.com/threads/all-about-the-autotrain.402667/. There's a LOT of good information there.

"It must be a while since you last rode the Auto Train. Sad to say, in March/April 2014 they changed over to paper table cloths and disposable plates at dinner. They no longer offer wine or snacks before the train pulls away to begin the trip. Sleeper car passengers now get the same meals as coach passengers and the sleeper lounge car was eliminated; sleeper passengers and coach passengers now share a single lounge car. No more USA Today paper in each room (meh, don't really miss that). And no, the fares didn't go down; they went up. There was a lot of discussion about this on the Auto Train thread last year. "

We took the Autotrain in August 2014 for the second time. Loved it!! We still had linen tablecloths and proper china. The only difference between our trip in 2014 and in 2012 is that they removed the sleeper car lounge. We were anticipating big crowds in the remaining lounge for the movie, but didn't have any problems at all. In fact, the lounge was never more than half full when we were there. The Autotrain has become as much a special part of our vacation as WDW is. We're planning to go again in 2016!

"It must be a while since you last rode the Auto Train. Sad to say, in March/April 2014 they changed over to paper table cloths and disposable plates at dinner. They no longer offer wine or snacks before the train pulls away to begin the trip. Sleeper car passengers now get the same meals as coach passengers and the sleeper lounge car was eliminated; sleeper passengers and coach passengers now share a single lounge car. No more USA Today paper in each room (meh, don't really miss that). And no, the fares didn't go down; they went up. There was a lot of discussion about this on the Auto Train thread last year. "

We took the Autotrain in August 2014 for the second time. Loved it!! We still had linen tablecloths and proper china. The only difference between our trip in 2014 and in 2012 is that they removed the sleeper car lounge. We were anticipating big crowds in the remaining lounge for the movie, but didn't have any problems at all. In fact, the lounge was never more than half full when we were there. The Autotrain has become as much a special part of our vacation as WDW is. We're planning to go again in 2016!

Our most recent trip was in September 2014 and others reported the paper tablecloths and disposible plates last spring. We're also fans of the AT, but some of the cutbacks with the higher prices made us miss how nice we had it on our first trips (steak, baked potato, vegies, wine and a huge piece of absolutely decadent chocolate cake for dessert at dinner in addition to the nicer setting). And I agree - the AT is part of the vacation adventure, not just a mode of travel.

ETA - Just recalled, we ate in our room, not in the dining car this last trip. We had paper table covers and disposable plates. So, I'm not saying you couldn't have had linen and plates that weren't disposable in the dining car, but the switch to paper and disposable was widely reported in spring 2014. Perhaps the number of complaints was too much to ignore.

Last edited:
We were hoping to use autotrain in March but renting a car for the month and flying is actually less expensive.

After doing a couple of trips in coach in 2005 and 2006, we tried a roomette one way which was okay at the time and then we tried a bedroom one way, which was much, much better and we slept so well. Bedrooms are very expensive and take too many Amtrak points so we now go in roomettes only as we've gotten used to them. We're going on the AT again in Nov/Dec for a cruise out of Tampa and have roomettes both ways. This will be our 7th roundtrip. Since we're traveling on a blackout day for points use going down (Thanksgiving weekend) we could only use points for our return. We use our Amtrak (Chase MC) points card for as much as possible. We charge cruises, other large purchases, including putting our friends cruise who are going with us in Nov on it. They'd prefer we get the points than them just putting it on one of their cards.

The price for cars dropped for our August 2015 trip by $40. When I got the change there was a $5 change charge, so I only really got a $35 savings.

We took the autotrain a few times and it was OK. On one trip from North to South, we had just coach seats. My husband, 3 children or myself sleep at all, it was the longest night. I would never take coach seats for an over night trip anymore. When we went the other times, we got a family bedroom for only $149 more. I think the prices have really gone up.

I only have 1 experience on the AT from April 2014

1. There are 5 of us in my family, dh and I and our 3 kids who were 12, 10 & 8 at the time of travel. On the way down we had a roomette and a bedroom. Dh and my son (10yo) had the roomette. Myself and the girls had the bedroom. My oldest slept on top and my youngest slept in the bed with me a and we had plenty of room.

We were all able to hang out in the bedroom too and were comfy.

When we arrived in Lorton, we knew we didn't sleep well and were up most of the night-dh, my 12yo and my self, whereas the other 2 slept! But when we got off the train and saw the people coming off coach we knew we had the better night sleep. They looked just exhausted!

On our return we tried a family bedroom just to be all in one room. It was tight, more cramped feeling then the bedroom. Sleeping was not fun! The girls took the top bunk, my ds took the smaller bottom bunk and dh and I tried to squeeze in the bed next to each other. I said forget it and was ready to sleep in the floor. We ended up with our heads on opposite sides and I was partially in the smaller bed that my ds was in.

We still didn't sleep that well. But better then coach!

We said if we ever take it again we will do the bedroom and get connecting rooms.

RT for the 5 of us and our car was around $1800. I booked the first day I could. We flew this April and our rental was $500 and our flights were about $1250. But we didn't have our beach umbrella, beach cart, beach chairs, sand toys, etc....granted we used my sisters since we were at her house. Also we were upgraded in our rental car from a minivan to a traverse. It was more comfy but there was a lot less space for beach stuff and we were updated because each minivan they went to give us that had the no smoking sticker in it reeked of smoke.

2. Well since we only experienced the AT once I have nothing to compair it too. I got the steak meal and thought it was good. Real glasses, silverware, China doesn't phase me. I get where people are coming from since train travel back in the day was a luxury.

On the way there we were split at 2 tables next to each other. 3 at one and 2 at another. On the return the 5 of us squeezed into a 4 person table which was not fun! I think we did that for breakfast too. On the return for breakfast since I was up and showered, I went and got 5 things of OJ, cereal, muffins, etc....to bring back to the room vs making them all schlep to the dining room.

3. It didn't feel like an airplane, it was nice to be able to stand at will, even walk around. I mean if I wanted to stretch my legs out in the couch I could (I can't tell you about coach). I'd say it was more like a boat with the swaying, lurching and switching of the tracks. We didn't leave our rooms much and were content in that decision.

At this point I would not do the train again because of the feeling like we were going to tip over which I blame on the tracks. If the tracks were fixed to run smoothly, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

We must of looked like fools on our way down. We had a small suitcase for the 5 of us that had our clothes and toiletries and a cooler because my son has food allergies so I needed food for him as a back up, plus we had cold drinks (non alcoholic). The kids each had s blanket and we had 5 pillows And 5 bags, aka back packs. On the return we left the blankets in the car and condensed some of the kids back pack stuff plus we were on the bottom floor so it wasn't as bad for bringing the crap in.

We had the laptop and portable DVD players for the kids and some games as well.

We did the early dinner seating so we pretty much got on and ate, had our beds turned down at about 8 and were pretty much tuckered out since we left CT that am at 6 to avoid traffic which we did. that was a good thing since you couldn't see anything at night.

I would of loved to have more daylight hours on the train to see the sights but that's not how it works. There was a lot of stop and go as well.

I traveled on Amtrak from NYC to Virginia Beach with my 3 kids to a tournament and I will say going was great we left overnight at 2am and my children and I slept then when we got up I got them something simple from the cafe cart to eat and they used the free WiFi and played games until we arrived at about 11am.

Coming home sucked we left in the evening and arrived late night my kids were up trying to find things to do. Then came the issue with the bathroom the ones in Coach was flooded and nasty. We had used the bathroom in the next car when this happened on our trip to the tournament but when we attempted to do the same thing the conductor blocked me and my 4 year old and told me I could not use the other bathroom because it was the Business class. I explained the bathroom in my car was flooded and could not be used but she didn't care. Needless to say I cursed her out and they stopped the train at the next stop and cleaned the bathrooms.

I would like to try to travel to Orlando for the experience but I would not travel in coach I would get a room with our own private bathroom. Although the seats were comfortable in coach the bathrooms issue outweighed all of this.

I traveled on Amtrak from NYC to Virginia Beach with my 3 kids to a tournament and I will say going was great we left overnight at 2am and my children and I slept then when we got up I got them something simple from the cafe cart to eat and they used the free WiFi and played games until we arrived at about 11am.

Coming home sucked we left in the evening and arrived late night my kids were up trying to find things to do. Then came the issue with the bathroom the ones in Coach was flooded and nasty. We had used the bathroom in the next car when this happened on our trip to the tournament but when we attempted to do the same thing the conductor blocked me and my 4 year old and told me I could not use the other bathroom because it was the Business class. I explained the bathroom in my car was flooded and could not be used but she didn't care. Needless to say I cursed her out and they stopped the train at the next stop and cleaned the bathrooms.

I would like to try to travel to Orlando for the experience but I would not travel in coach I would get a room with our own private bathroom. Although the seats were comfortable in coach the bathrooms issue outweighed all of this.

You cursed out the conductor? How nice. You aren't supposed to go into the car that you haven't paid to be in.

Are you thinking to take the Auto Train? From NYC, you'd need to drive to Lorton, VA to take it as it only runs between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL. The Auto Train is different than regular Amtrak. Mainly, it only goes between those two stations and doesn't make other stops to pick up passengers. Also, dinner and continental breakfast are included in your fare. You also have to have a car.

I was hoping this would be a recent experience post. I'm freaking out because I've been watching the times and all this week it has been late. 9 hours one day! 6 today! I leave on Tuesday. Anyone know what's going on? Why the horrible delays?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter