Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

thank you Canadians for your pledge to volunteer. huge rummage sale here in yuma and 80% of the work force is Canadian. Amercians just to damn selfish to volunteer even a few hours, rather just sit on the porch...even with opportunity to pre shop rummage sale seen from space, they won't put in a few hours. Granted...I volunteer ...because of the opportunity to pre-shop.....so not sure if that is my cavet to put in 40 hours of work.

That’s our price to here , just went up 60 cents I think. Just don’t buy the organic milk that is close to $10 for 1% . I’m just east of Toronto.
I don't buy organic anything anyway. Last time I looked at the price of a 4L jug of organic milk it was roughly double the price, around $9.89 I believe. No thanks. My family goes through milk at a good pace (2 4L jugs in about 7 days) so $4.79 is quite high enough for me, thank you. Plus I heard dairy is going up 15% in the new year as well 🤦

I don't buy organic anything anyway. Last time I looked at the price of a 4L jug of organic milk it was roughly double the price, around $9.89 I believe. No thanks. My family goes through milk at a good pace (2 4L jugs in about 7 days) so $4.79 is quite high enough for me, thank you. Plus I heard dairy is going up 15% in the new year as well 🤦
Organic is $6.97 a gallon here at Walmart. Regular milk is $3.10 a gallon. So organic is more than double the price here.

thank you Canadians for your pledge to volunteer. huge rummage sale here in yuma and 80% of the work force is Canadian. Amercians just to damn selfish to volunteer even a few hours, rather just sit on the porch...even with opportunity to pre shop rummage sale seen from space, they won't put in a few hours. Granted...I volunteer ...because of the opportunity to pre-shop.....so not sure if that is my cavet to put in 40 hours of work.
Speak for yourself please

I know here in Ontario, students need to complete 40 hours of volunteer time to graduate high school. I know other provinces do as well. It helps instill that desire to help your community early on in (most) kids.

I know here in Ontario, students need to complete 40 hours of volunteer time to graduate high school. I know other provinces do as well. It helps instill that desire to help your community early on in (most) kids.
When I was in high school I volunteered at a local animal shelter, one of my favorite things I did.

When I was in college my sophomore year I lived in a dorm that required 8 hours (so not a huge commitment but still) per semester in order to live there. I remember I did girl scout cookies order hands outs set up at the county fair grounds and then raked leaves for homes that had signed up for that.

Every now and then I'll do stuff for our neighborhood when there's activities they do and they need help. It's normally enjoyable lol. Was going to sign up for help for the Holiday Sleigh Ride through the neighborhood but they filled the slots already.

But I do think there's more than just volunteering to help one's community. Charity donations is another one. Right now on Amazon I have it set up to donate to the cat rescue/shelter where we got our cat. It's not much that gets donated but it's some. In about a week or two (waiting for them to come back and let us know exactly when they need more) I'll donate the plastic bags (that I would have taken to Walmart to be recycled) to this place not too far away that turns the plastic bags into beds/cots for the homeless for additional warmth. Apparently it takes 750 bags to create one "sleeping mat" as they call them! They had such a response from the surrounding area that they had to temporarily halt donations as they were overfilling their space where you drop them off.

Volunteering, donation, whatever works for people. No shaming needed either (no directed towards you), people give what they can give (time or money or whatever else) and give in various ways.

I'm sure these dire circumstances won't help commodity prices at all. I'm so sorry for all of you. :sad1:
B.C. floods: Livestock death toll reaches 640,000 animals and counting | Toronto Sun

Strangely, the difference between organic milk in Canada vs organic milk in the USA is something I actually have researched! I have a group of friends all around Canada and the US that were all pregnant and due the same month, we have been friends now for just over 17 years. When our babies were little, the topic of organic milk came up and the discussion was whether or not organic milk was worth it.

So, here are some differences.

Non-organic milk in Canada:
In Canada dairy farmers are not allowed to use growth hormones at all. While they are allowed to treat sick animals with antibiotics, they are not allowed to add it to feed. As well, any animal treated with antibiotics is milked but the milk is taken out of the supply chain and disposed of for the period of the treatment. After that period, the milk is tested and if any traces of antibiotics are found, it is disposed of.

Organic milk in Canada:
Same as above plus a few extra things. If an animal is treated with antibiotics more than once in a year, it is permanently removed from the organic milk supply. Also, cows that produce organic milk are fed organically grown feed and are given more access to outside grazing.

Non-organic milk in the USA:
Cows are allowed to be given growth hormones and if an animal is given antibiotics, that animal's milk is kept in the supply and is allowed to be sold.

Organic milk in the USA:
Animals are not allowed to be given growth hormones nor are they allowed to be given other hormones including reproductive ones. Any animal that needs to be treated with antibiotics is immediately taken out of the organic milk production. As well, animals that produce organic milk must be fed at least 30% of their diet on pastures. The rest of the feed must also be organic.

So, to sum up, most of what we sell as non-organic milk in Canada would be considered to be organic milk in the States with the exception of the feed. It's for that reason that I don't personally buy organic milk here but if we lived somewhere like the USA, I probably would.

FTR, I checked online and 4L or non-organic milk at my local grocery store is selling for $5.49 and organic milk from the same producer is selling for $9.49

Speak for yourself please
then please explain why thousands of American retired folks in my community can't lift a hand. It is the truth and I see it at every rummage sale in the coummunity, why just at the Catholic church, packed 4 services a sunday, they may have to stop the rummage sale because no one cares to put in a few hours....just a few hours...not here in red neck, Jeffersonian Arizona border town, not my concern is there response.

then please explain why thousands of American retired folks in my community can't lift a hand. It is the truth and I see it at every rummage sale in the coummunity, why just at the Catholic church, packed 4 services a sunday, they may have to stop the rummage sale because no one cares to put in a few hours....just a few hours...not here in red neck, Jeffersonian Arizona border town, not my concern is there response.
Well..they are retired..have you not considered that they have physical or mental ailments such that certain things are beyond their abilities?

Giving back to one's own community is not something one always sees. If your issue is with your community I can't really speak to it, it's not my community. However, when saying "Americans.." that's an entirely different story.

Nextdoor is often a place that can be controversial but one thing I have seen on it is the sheer amount of helping that occurs. So many people in my community reach out and help, even to people who are clearly taking advantage of others. From leaving food at their door, to the giving of couches, beds etc to those in need for free, to paying for vet bills, to offering to take people places, to volunteering their time, services and money (although that's usually not the point). Is it everyone in the community? No, but it's far from a place of saying Americans are too selfish to volunteer.

Well..they are retired..have you not considered that they have physical or mental ailments such that certain things are beyond their abilities?

Giving back to one's own community is not something one always sees. If your issue is with your community I can't really speak to it, it's not my community. However, when saying "Americans.." that's an entirely different story.

No, but it's far from a place of saying Americans are too selfish to volunteer.
it is not an entirely different story when the ratio of vlounteers is 80% canadian and 20% american...it is a downright shame. We are all retired at the sale and we all have aliments, 3/4 of us should not be out there, but the selfish Border living americans just don't care...why they can't even volunteer drive someone to the store or medical appointments. . I work with this rummage sale from gathering goods to boxing the end of the sale and plead for able americans to bring there pick-ups and just haul the stuff to dump, goodwill, recycle...nope..."not my rodeo" is there response.

Non-organic milk in the USA:
Cows are allowed to be given growth hormones and if an animal is given antibiotics, that animal's milk is kept in the supply and is allowed to be sold.
Hard to find milk here in California that doesn't have a label saying no rBST (growth hormone) used. I haven't looked at every carton, but just not a common thing anymore to use growth hormones.

it is not an entirely different story when the ratio of vlounteers is 80% canadian and 20% american...it is a downright shame. We are all retired at the sale and we all have aliments, 3/4 of us should not be out there, but the selfish Border living americans just don't care...why they can't even volunteer drive someone to the store or medical appointments. . I work with this rummage sale from gathering goods to boxing the end of the sale and plead for able americans to bring there pick-ups and just haul the stuff to dump, goodwill, recycle...nope..."not my rodeo" is there response.
I'm trying to convey this appears to be an issue in your community, aka speak for yourself. I don't believe it's a nationality against nationality issue which is why I commented. I'm sorry you are having issues in your community and wish you the best :flower3:

I still haven't seen just bagged milk. Last time I was in Calgary my cousin had boxed milk, which I guess is bagged milk in a cardboard box with a spigot like boxed wine. I would think the risk of a puncture in bagged milk would result in a huge mess.

Compared to the potential of puncturing a paper carton?

I still haven't seen just bagged milk. Last time I was in Calgary my cousin had boxed milk, which I guess is bagged milk in a cardboard box with a spigot like boxed wine. I would think the risk of a puncture in bagged milk would result in a huge mess.
Here in WI we have a regional gas/convenience store chain Kwik Trip that has sold milk in bags for years and years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter