Amber Alert in Colorado - Jessica Ridgeway Murder - They got the monster

I never realized how many ppl on here are so close to me. I moved from Westminster almost a year ago and live in wheat ridge right now

front page of abcnews.com, cbsnews.com, nbcnews.com, msnbc.com, cnn.com, on Nancy Grace's site, covered in people.com, huffpost, nydailynews.com, and many, many more.

Is that enough news coverage for you to make it a legitimate kidnapping? I fail to see how the amount of coverage determines the legitimacy of the kidnapping.

There are kidnappings that never go national. In fact, there was an 11 year old kidnapped in Cody, Wyoming on Monday. Textbook scenario: man approaches group of girls asking for help to locate his lab puppy. One girl got in his van.

The girl has been recovered, however, her name is being withheld as she is a victim of sexual assault.

In fact, the Wyoming case is being investigated to see if it has any connection to the Jessica Ridgeway kidnapping.

Maybe today! my point was 3 days ago! Jeeze

Please, parents, I beg you - make sure your school has contact information for you and an emergency number to call. While the school did have correct information for Jessica, many parents do not give new phone numbers or addresses to the school. If we have to contact you because your child gets hurt, ill, or isn't in school, we need to have your information.

While it is no one's fault that it wasn't discovered that Jessica was missing until 4:00 last Friday, valuble time was lost. Schools need the information so we can make sure your child is okay. Call the school if your child is ill before 9 am. Call the school if you have a new number or address. Give the school your email. We are not trying to invade your privacy, we need to make sure your child is safe and accounted for. You would be shocked and ill to find out how many parents will give false info so that the school cannot contact you.

Goofy, we are almost neighbors!

The school did call the mother, but she works nights and (understandably) slept through the call.

The school did call the mother, but she works nights and (understandably) slept through the call.

I know that. I live here. My post was implying that the school did try. My point is that many schools do try to call but can't because they do not have correct contact info.

Seriously, my sister is an elementary principal. A 2nd grader was coming an hour late to school every day. My sister called the mom daily but the numbers were incorrect, so my sister put the girl in ISS until the mom came in for a conference. She sat in ISS (which is really my sister's office) for a week before the mom came in. She yelled at my sister, but my sister stood her ground and told her the DD would be suspended out of school if mom didn't update the contact info. Mom finally gave new contact numbers. Two days later the girl glued her eye shut with the finger nail glue she was told not to bring to school. My sister called the new numbers and all of the numbers were bogus. So mom got a bill in the mail for the ambulance ride to the ER because the school could not contact her.

If your school does not call until evening hours, bring the Jessica case up to them. Precious hours were lost because the school could not reach her mom.

I never realized how many ppl on here are so close to me. I moved from Westminster almost a year ago and live in wheat ridge right now

We live in Littleton. I have close DIS friends in Littleton (3), Englewood, and Colorado Springs.

I know that. I live here. My post was implying that the school did try. My point is that many schools do try to call but can't because they do not have correct contact info.

Seriously, my sister is an elementary principal. A 2nd grader was coming an hour late to school every day. My sister called the mom daily but the numbers were incorrect, so my sister put the girl in ISS until the mom came in for a conference. She sat in ISS (which is really my sister's office) for a week before the mom came in. She yelled at my sister, but my sister stood her ground and told her the DD would be suspended out of school if mom didn't update the contact info. Mom finally gave new contact numbers. Two days later the girl glued her eye shut with the finger nail glue she was told not to bring to school. My sister called the new numbers and all of the numbers were bogus. So mom got a bill in the mail for the ambulance ride to the ER because the school could not contact her.

If your school does not call until evening hours, bring the Jessica case up to them. Precious hours were lost because the school could not reach her mom.
The school did have the corrent contact information, however mom was asleep because she works 3rd shift! That is nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps, there should be a second phone number so if a situation similar to this comes up again, somebody who has the best interest of the child would be contacted. Why didn't the school have the grandmother's phone number? :confused3

Thinking outloud here.

The school did have the corrent contact information, however mom was asleep because she works 3rd shift! That is nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps, there should be a second phone number so if a situation similar to this comes up again, somebody who has the best interest of the child would be contacted. Why didn't the school have the grandmother's phone number? :confused3

Thinking outloud here.

I know the school had the correct information! In post #36 I said:

Please, parents, I beg you - make sure your school has contact information for you and an emergency number to call. While the school did have correct information for Jessica, many parents do not give new phone numbers or addresses to the school. If we have to contact you because your child gets hurt, ill, or isn't in school, we need to have your information.

My posts were to remind parents to update the information if they get new phones with new numbers, move, get a new job, etc.

Our school has only used emergency contact numbers if the child get ill or hurt at school, never to call if a child is absent and no one has informed the school yet.

I will say it one last time: Although the school did have the correct info, and they did call mom and left several messages, valuble time was lost because mom did not get the message. This was no one's fault. It is a tragedy that happened and I can't even begin to think about how the secretary who left the messages or the mom feels about what happened. However, make sure your school has updated info so if your child doesn't show up to school and you forget to call, the school can reach you so that we don't have another Jessica.

My daughter attends a Jeffco county school (Same County as Jessica), her school starts at 7:25, if she is absent and I have not called the attence line by 8:30 am they start calling. Last year dd was sick and I had forgot to call the attendence line before we left for the drs office, I had my phone on vibrate so did not hear the calls, they called 5 times before 9:00 am and then started calling Dh cell phone and office phone, in fact he was on his cell phone with one of the office attendants when someone else was calling his work number.

I have a question for the folks who are getting a lot more info, I'm confused when her backpack was found. From some articles it sounds like it wasn't found till Sunday but that sounds very odd,

when was it found?

Hannathy said:
I'm wondering if there is more to this story than what is being released because I knew nothing of this until I read it here. It is not being screamed across the news the way most children missing stories are. Usually it is headline news everywhere and this has not been mentioned. To find the Story on Fox news you have to go to the US news section and almost look for it. I have heard no mention on TV. This all puzzles me considering the attention these stories in the past have received.

Does anyone else have any idea why it isn't bigger news? Considering how the news love to sensationalize and use these rare but sad stories.

It was shown on major news here in San Antonio. So sad. Hope she is safe.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

It was shown on major news here in San Antonio. So sad. Hope she is safe.

I'm getting really tired of saying this. But I said this when we were discussing it earlier and at that time it wasn't all over the place. I never said today it wasn't being talked about!!!!

I heard about it yesterday. Only point I was making. :/

Hannathy said:
I have a question for the folks who are getting a lot more info, I'm confused when her backpack was found. From some articles it sounds like it wasn't found till Sunday but that sounds very odd,

when was it found?

Yes it was found Sunday. They don't believe it was there in the morning or not because kids leave stuff all the time and who found it didn't think of anything of it. It was found 6 miles from where she went missing. Also it may have been dropped to throw off cops.

jiminyC_fan said:
We live in Littleton. I have close DIS friends in Littleton (3), Englewood, and Colorado Springs.

Nice! What part of Littleton? I live by lakeside amusment park, but more towards wads ;)

mommagoof said:
My daughter attends a Jeffco county school (Same County as Jessica), her school starts at 7:25, if she is absent and I have not called the attence line by 8:30 am they start calling. Last year dd was sick and I had forgot to call the attendence line before we left for the drs office, I had my phone on vibrate so did not hear the calls, they called 5 times before 9:00 am and then started calling Dh cell phone and office phone, in fact he was on his cell phone with one of the office attendants when someone else was calling his work number.

I work in jeffco and our school does this.. Wonder if it's the same school lol my niece attends a different school in jeffco and they call Once and it's automated

I heard about it yesterday. Only point I was making. :/

I heard about it on Saturday and I am in Texas also. :confused3

ETA, actually now that I think about it I didn't see it on the news. It was on another social media site that someone had posted the flyer and info.

Yes it was found Sunday. They don't believe it was there in the morning or not because kids leave stuff all the time and who found it didn't think of anything of it. It was found 6 miles from where she went missing. Also it may have been dropped to throw off cops.

Ok yeah then it it is odd, she went missing on Friday morning and the back pack was found just sitting there Sunday? and wasn't seen for almost 3 days? that is extremely unlikely in a neighborhood.

very odd.

I just can't understand why a parent would do this. Do they not care about the welfare of their child or do they just not want to be bothered? It just makes no sense.

I just can't understand why a parent would do this. Do they not care about the welfare of their child or do they just not want to be bothered? It just makes no sense.

Likely because they are putting their kids in a school that is out of district. We have a huge problem with this. Our county is a much desired school district (don't know why because I think it sucks) and the one right next to us (where our town is right next to a town that's another county) is not that great. Parents from this town next to us will fake addresses and phone numbers to get their kids in our middle school.

In April my good friend's DD (a 6th grader at the time) went missing from school. When she didn't come home after school, the dad (mom was out of town) went looking. Turns out she went to school and attended a couple classes and then missed the last several. They called around to her friends and discovered that she and another girl left the school after the couple classes. The dad got the school involved and the police and my DH and all our friends were out searching. The school tried to contact the parents of the other girl...the police were going to go to her home but all her info (that she gave to the school) was bogus. After much investigating over several hours they found a cousin of this girl and went to her house just to get a door slammed in their face...but next thing you know the mom shows up at the school where they had set up a headquarters for searching. Later that evening the girls were found in the nearest major city (about 8 miles from our town) at a mall. They had packed backpacks with stuff to be gone for several days. Our school was now aware that this other girl was out of district, but she still attends our school...which ticks me off. I hope she's paying tuition to do so. Because of what they did, both girls were suspended for about 5 days.

And I wish the situation above was the same outcome for this missing CO girl. But, unfortunately, I am thinking it's not. She's been gone too long. Why couldn't her mom give the school her cell # and then keep her cell near her when she sleeps during the day (in case the school were to call)? I don't know how many times I was called about one of my kids being sick and I had to go pick them up. What if her kid was sick, did she just leave her in the health room all day? Another poster mentioned the school secretary being sick thinking about not getting a hold of the mom ASAP. Well, that mom will be sick thinking about how she slept through those calls. That's got to be a horrible thing to live with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter