Am I wrong for feeling this way? Venting.

Just adding a 'oh heck no' to the general consensus. The level of not ok is kind of staggering.

You and your mother know perfectly well what correct behaviour is - you said when you went to stay you went and bought groceries and random things for your host that you weren't even using.

If this woman had NO job or money, she should then be doing the cooking, shopping, making things from dried beans, rice, homemade breads and soups, and doing all the chores to contribute to the household and thank you for your hospitality.

As she HAS a job and money and is contributing exactly nothing, just taking money from you guys every night in the form of dinner - it's time to go.

I didn't get the extra cost with 15 minutes, because your avatar says Queens and like, the train fare is the train fare but even in Florida - 15 minutes is less than a gallon of gas. She's TAKING that money from you guys every day in the form of dinner and water use and electricity. Out out out.

I understand waiting on the utility bill but I doubt she'll pay it.

Agree you should go to the food pantry - yes, there are people in greater need, and people in less need. Most people in greater need are also getting government and other assistance and are in the same 'tight before the paycheck' situation you are.

There are also some states and some programs that have vouchers for emergency food relief. I *think* Fla does but I'm not positive. You can call the department that handles food needs and ask. The places that do this give out a small bunch of vouchers you can turn in at a market for a few specific things - like a gallon of juice, dozen regular eggs, jar of spaghetti sauce and lb. of pasta. It's not much; it's meant to just be stuff to just tide you over for a few days, hence the requirements aren't a lot of paperwork or anything (in the places I've heard this exists), you can talk to someone and explain your situation and they can just give out the vouchers. Again, not positive Fla. does or if it's by city or town, but can't hurt to call and ask.

Oh, also - don't worry about expiration dates on eggs! The U.S. is bizarre with this (putting close dates on eggs), I learned from European friends. Eggs last way, way, way past the expiration date on the carton. I routinely use ones a month past the date.

You can tell if an uncooked, unopened egg is fresh by putting it in a container (anything, tupperware, pot, glass, etc.) of cold water. If it sinks, it's fine. If it floats to the top, it's rotten. That rotten egg sulfer smell is gas builds up as the egg goes bad and that gas makes the egg float.

A month ago one of my mom's friends came to stay with us because she broke up with the boyfriend she lived with. She's staying in my bedroom, and I'm sleeping on the sofa. I don't mind the sofa, I slept on it a lot before she came.

My mom and I live on a limited income and we don't have any room in our budget for extras. We don't give Christmas gifts to each other, and we don't go for holidays by anyone's house because we don't have the money to buy gifts. This past month with Thanksgiving my mom budgeted wrong when grocery shopping for the holiday. The past two weeks we've had $30 to live on. My mom makes dinner every night and her friend only buys what she needs for herself to eat breakfast and lunch but dinner she counts on us. She works full time and doesn't have rent or utilities to pay.

The other day we ran out of food for dinner so my mom's friend picked up one package of chicken breasts, one can of string beans and a bottle of soda. That lasted two nights for dinner. She went over to her mom's house for the weekend and will be back Sunday night expecting dinner and we won't have anything to make. I don't get my check until Wednesday so we won't have money to buy food until then.

Am I wrong for feeling like she should be contributing to the house in some way? She's been here a month now and talks like she has no plans on leaving. My mom won't ask for anything but I feel like if I was in her position I wouldn't need someone to ask. In fact before we moved here we drove down and stayed at this woman's sister's house and went out and bought a bunch of groceries (including steaks), bought her a carton of cigarettes, paid for her daughters birthday cake and gave money all for letting us stay at her house for 9 days. We had it better back then, that's how we were able to do that.

Anyway, am I just feeling unjustifiably annoyed or would you too?

She should be paying her way.

We have some one day over expired eggs, some ramen and some pb&j. We can survive until Wednesday but barely.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=46330276&postcount=8

I booked the processional package for the 17th so I'm wondering too. That would be cool if it is who was mentioned from Criminal Minds.

OP, where is the money coming from to attend the Candlelight Processional Dinner package tomorrow coming from?

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/...sional-lunch-and-dinner-packages-on-sale-now/

Out-of-Pocket Costs
If you do not choose to use the Disney Dining Plan to pay, here are the details for costs:

Lunch Packages $32.99$55.99 for Guests 10+, $12.50$17.99 for Guests 39
Dinner Packages $49.99$66.99 for Guests 10+, $14.50$26.99 for Guests 39

I cancelled that weeks ago. I never even spent the money to buy APs because we don't have it.

I cancelled that weeks ago. I never even spent the money to buy APs because we don't have it.

And I am sure you SOOOOOOO appreciate someone reminding you of that. How kind of them.

Always ready to "out" someone, aren't we?

In my opinion she is not a very good friend if she hasn't already volunteered to contribute money to the household. She sounds like a freeloader to me especially if she understands your financial situation. The only way you are probably going to be able to get rid of this moocher is to give her an ultimatum. She obviously doesn't care about anyone but herself.

EMom said:
And I am sure you SOOOOOOO appreciate someone reminding you of that. How kind of them.

Always ready to "out" someone, aren't we?

Yes, that was super nice. I also cancelled any dining reservations or plans for my birthday in October incase I might have posted about that too. Geez.

Now I'm worried if I get the job I went for and eventually start actually going out and doing things and posting about it that people will be like 'Omg, I thought you were poor.'

IheartMickey,
I do hope get this position, or another good job, soon!!!!

I just have this to say.
Can I assume that this is your mother's home.
Her name is on the title and any mortgage, or lease....

If so, it is her home, and she can do as she pleases.
It might not be right.
It might hurt, a LOT....
But, she can do as she pleases.
You really do not have a lot of say.

My recommendation is for you to make yourself as self-sufficient as possible, and quickly as possible. Your mother and her wishes really should not dictate your life.

Really, your feelings are WAY more than justified.
You should be way more than annoyed.
This should be a call to action.

You shouldn't feel like you should stay there at your mother's, paying for half of everything, while giving up your room, your bed, your food, and going hungry, because of your mother's questionable decisions.

I do hope things improve soon!!!!

I do hope that things improve soon!!!! :goodvibes

It's an apartment and we're both on the lease. She gave up her inheritance of a co-op that we lived in for 14 years because they wouldn't allow our service dog. She handed it to her brother, and she did it for me. I owe her.

You're on the lease and you gave up your bedroom? That shouldn't have happened.

I wish you well with this. I agree with everyone else that this is wrong.

Yes, very wrong...
If you are on the lease, you have to find a way remove this woman from your property and your bedroom. I would do so immediately.
Seriously, the moment she is away, move her stuff out of your room...
Do you know somebody who could help you with this, and install a lock on your bedroom door?

Yes, like I said.. I barely slept in there. My mom forgot to pack my feather mattress topper when we moved in August and the bed is not comfy to me without it. I slept on it during a nap the other day and after I woke up I remembered why I stopped sleeping in there lol.

Even if the bed needs work, where do you keep your stuff? That would bother me the most.

Oh, it's all in my dresser and closet! She just put her clothes in plastic bins and used up what room was left in the closet to hang up some stuff.

Yes, that was super nice. I also cancelled any dining reservations or plans for my birthday in October incase I might have posted about that too. Geez.

Now I'm worried if I get the job I went for and eventually start actually going out and doing things and posting about it that people will be like 'Omg, I thought you were poor.'

I wouldn't worry about that! It's not for any of us to judge! Besides, you said that you usually budget better but just did a bad job this month. That happens to a lot of people. Also, anyone who has read through this entire thread has to realize that you do the best with you can and make sacrifies at times (for example, not going to Christmas parties so you don't feel bad not bringing anything). So if there are times that you have a little extra money or budget so you can do something fun it's nobody's business!!

And...even if you were rolling in the dough and had plenty of money, it's still not right that this friend hasn't offered to help. At least an offer would allow you the option to accept the moeny or graciously decline. Really, your financial situation is irrelevant to this situation given the way this woman is acting. However, it makes it worse that you are having financial difficulties.

No you are not wrong. This adult friend is taking advantage of you and your Moms good nature. Its time to kick this mooch to the curb.
Don't feel bad about it at all. Its time! :hourglass

It's an apartment and we're both on the lease. She gave up her inheritance of a co-op that we lived in for 14 years because they wouldn't allow our service dog. She handed it to her brother, and she did it for me. I owe her.
What?!? Is that even legal?

I hope that you and your mom work this out soon. When is the utility bill due?

robinb said:
What?!? Is that even legal?

I hope that you and your mom work this out soon. When is the utility bill due?

Technically, no. We filed a case against them with the division of human rights two years ago. It's still ongoing.

OP, quick question just for clarity...do you live in NYC or in Florida? I'm curious as I imagine the living conditions, costs and job market are probably quite different in the two places.

OP, quick question just for clarity...do you live in NYC or in Florida? I'm curious as I imagine the living conditions, costs and job market are probably quite different in the two places.

I was wondering the same thing. :confused3

Maybe she forgot that every time she posts, it says she lives in Queens, instead of FL and/or she forgot to change the location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter