Am I the only sap who CRIES during Illuminations?

I cry during Wishes and Finding Nemo but not Illuminations. Maybe because we have only seen it twice....

My girls and I try to get to WDW every two years or so & we've had several AMAZING trips and have had a blast together. I'm not a super emotional person -- I didn't cry when my kids started school or while they've been on stage through various musical or theater events, etc. (sentimental, yes, just not emotional). But last fall, standing in front of the castle watching the fireworks on our last night, knowing my oldest is graduating from high school this year (now in TWO WEEKS!!), and it was our last girls trip together for who knows how long -- Oh yeah, THAT got me. The three of us stood there, arms wrapped around each other, tears rolling down our faces, her saying things like, "Thank you for all our Disney memories," making me cry harder ... We were a MESS! LOL! So, yeah, I totally hear you. :lovestruc
:grouphug:

Holiday Illuminations: Let There Be Peace On Earth gets me teary, but it was even more when Walter Cronkite (the voice of G-d) did the narration. I think there used to be a different version of the song, with a strong organ accompaniment, that really got to me.

Also The American Adventure when Uncle Walt, JFK, & MLK come up on the montage.

I'll join the club. I cry when I see the castle, for Illuminations, Candlelight processional, some of the parades, walking down main street.. I could go on and on.

I'm not a fan of Illuminations as it currently exists. I loved the old version that involved the countries. I always cry during the Walt Disney: One Man's Dream film.

Last edited:
I cry over Illuminations. I cry over Wishes. I cry over the Good Morning show. I cry over hearing the Grand Floridian Orchestra playing "When You Wish Upon A Star." I freakin' cry over Philharmagic when all the kids in the room shriek with delight as their favorite characters come on screen. I'm tearin' up now just thinking about it!

I'm a man in touch with my emotions, lol
YES!! OMG, I thought I was the only one who noticed the kids and got a lump in my throat during Philharmagic! A little girl behind me squealed "Jasmine!" when she saw her and I started getting all teary-eyed! I don't even have kids, but everyone else's sure are fun!

I teared up reading this thread. I'm extremely sentimental.

I'm tearing up just reading about what makes other people cry, lol. I'm not sure why but I will cry at Fantasmic! Every. Single. Time. When Mickey pops up at the top of that mountain I'm smiling and crying at the same time. Celebrate the Magic gets me pretty teary eyed too. Anything with Walt and the tears flow. Can't help it:sad2:

In all of our years there we've only watched Illuminations once :duck:so I can't say I have an attachment to it. Maybe we will give it another shot this trip.

You are absolutely not the only one. Watched the holiday version last December for the first time. Stood there with my face to the sky and tears rolling down my cheeks. It's a great, great show.

Put me in the group that doesn't cry during Illuminations, I've never liked that show so even though I stay at the Epcot resorts, I don't even watch it. I love fireworks so I might stop and glance up when that part happens but the show itself does nothing for me. Now Wishes at MK, every single time Tink flies (and I don't care what gender he/she is), I tear up. My very first real memory of anything, is playing with the Tink charm on my Mom's charm bracelet. I was born in Cucamonga, back before it was Rancho and basically an orange grove, and evidently we went to DL a lot. I don't remember as we moved when I was a little over 2 but that charm fascinated me, so I can remember playing with it. I've been a Tink fan since then and when she flys I become a big ole baby. My grown son is not fond of Wishes but goes just because he says he loves the look on my face when she is flying across. I am a cryer though, we went to see the Jungle Book on Mother's Day and when Raksha was telling Mowgli she was his mother and no matter where he went or who he was she would always be his mother, I reached over and grabbed my sons hand and just boo hooed.

I cry when I first see the castle, when I see my Disney brick on the walkway in front of MK, when the Great Movie Ride door opens into the Wizard of Oz scene and especially during Fantasmic when the boat glides in in the dark and suddenly the lights on the boat come on and all the characters are there singing and waving! OH yeah - and I cry all the way home :(. My favorite place on Earth!

At Philharmagic, I always cry during the Peter Pan sequence. Don't know why. The Walt era classics just mean more to me than the post Walt.

Oh yeah, I totally cry during IllumiNations. Glad to know I'm not the only one! And just the other day I was showing DH a YouTube video of Fantasmic, and when Mickey popped up on the top of the mountain at the end, I was choking back the tears (DH would have NEVER let me hear the end of it if he had caught me crying)!

My next trip is this fall with just my parents, to celebrate their birthdays. My mom is a big crier too...I'm sure we'll be sobbing all over each other several times a day.

My version of crying is getting that stinging feeling in your eyes and that choking feeling in my throat lol. I am easily embarrassed so it takes all my strenght not to cry.

I have not seen IllumiNations (it is on my bucket list for this trip), but as other posters have said I totally get teary-eyed during Fantasmic, and to much lesser degree MSEP. Totally used to get teary-eyed during Spectromagic though.

Oh and Celebrate the magic gets to me too. Alot. The other day I watched a video of it and I shed a tear or two lol.

I cry during pretty much all the firework shows. I also cry during FoTLK and I'm pretty sure I've cried during a parade or two as well as during a handful of other attractions.

I also find myself crying when my kids are experiencing the magic.

I've never cried during Illuminations but I get seriously emotional during Festival of the Lion King. It's just such a Disney moment for me! And when my almost 2 year old squealed when she saw her first character (Goofy) I got dangerously close to ugly cries.

Yes Wishes can tug at the heartstrings of this one. Taking my daughter to WDW in June, will be first trip for me since taking my mother in 2014 who was a big WDW fan with many family trips over the years. Alas she passed away last year so this trip is going to be hard in some respects since many of my WDW memories are with my family and parents, even though my wife and kids have also been to WDW/DL several times with me on other trips.

Yes Wishes can tug at the heartstrings of this one. Taking my daughter to WDW in June, will be first trip for me since taking my mother in 2014 who was a big WDW fan with many family trips over the years. Alas she passed away last year so this trip is going to be hard in some respects since many of my WDW memories are with my family and parents, even though my wife and kids have also been to WDW/DL several times with me on other trips.
My condolences. I feel for you and can relate. My mom is still living but I know I will face this too one day. Mom started coming to wdw with us when our 1st born was 7mo old. Over time she made several trips with us, reveling in the wdw enjoyment with all 4 of her grandkids. Now, due to arthritis and mobility issues she's not able to come with us anymore. Sept 2012 was her last visit. In '14 we made the first trip in decades w/o her and so many times I felt she was "with" us on rides. For example, on Its a Small World mom would always name all the countries portrayed. When I was on it w/o her I could "see" her face and "hear" her voice. I missed her being there with us. I'm sure it will be even more emotional when she is really gone from us. :sad1:
For those of us who love WDW it can be very emotional on so many levels bc we have so many memories banked that have to do with all things Disney!

Last edited:
Illuminations doesn't get me like wishes does. I stand there really still trying not to wipe tears so that my wife won't bust me, then I glance over toward her to see if it's safe and she's looking at me with tears running down her face. Then we hug and kiss and get tears all over each other. Every time..... But I still try. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter