Am I the only sap who CRIES during Illuminations?

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
Was showing my kiddo the holiday ending to Illuminations (we are going in december so he wanted to see it) and wouldn't you know it, during "We go on" the tears started welling up. The first time I saw it was probably early december 1999, very shortly after it premiered. I remember we had just bought into Boardwalk Villas and pretty much caught illuminations every night we weren't in the MK. I remember holding my breath to see if the torch would fire or not (it took a very long time for them to get the technical difficulties worked out and we'd take bets on whether it would work or not). I remember being elated the times when the torch lit and a little disappointed when it didn't.

What an amazing visual and musical representation of just how much more similar we are than different and just how we all occupy the same earth and just how resilient we have been over the centuries. But gosh I feel like an idiot, standing there in the crowds with tears running down my face and 17 years later it still provokes the same emotional response. IMO this is the best show Disney has ever done and whenever they decide to replace it (as everything eventually always gets replaced) it will be a very very sad day for me. I can't believe this show has been going on for as long as I've been going to Disney and for as long as I've owned DVC. It has gotten a lot more expensive and a lot has changed (some good, some not so good) but it is still my favorite thing in all of Disney. And even watching a youtube video of it makes me cry.

please tell me I am not the only loon. if I can't find other Disney loons here, it's hopeless ;)

I don't cry per se,but "We Go On" gets me every time.

It always takes me back to my first trip to WDW and my first IllumiNations.:)

We didn't do IllumiNations, but I know I totally teared up (okay they were running down my cheeks) as we drove under the Welcome sign that first day. I also teared up when my son met Woody & Jessie because they were so amazing with him, and when my daughter met Elsa, because it was literally her dream come true, and since she once upon a time had a chance at not seeing her first birthday... that was pretty huge for all of us.

OK so now I have no problem admitting at all that on the last day of my trip with my son in 2014 not only was HE sobbing that it was over but I was sobbing as well. We were standing in our BLT room both of us sobbing. I mean he was 6 so I can understand him but once he started crying I couldn't help it myself. I promised him I'd take him back in 2 years. That is this december :) gonna be rough when it's done again, no lie.

Girl, I cry over everything lol. I cry over Wishes, over Illuminations, when I first walk in to the Magic Kingdom, and the list goes on and on. I am also a huge sympathy crier so if I see someone else crying over something like the parades or fireworks, then I tear up too.

I just love that damn place lol

Girl, I cry over everything lol. I cry over Wishes, over Illuminations, when I first walk in to the Magic Kingdom, and the list goes on and on. I am also a huge sympathy crier so if I see someone else crying over something like the parades or fireworks, then I tear up too.

I just love that damn place lol
I knew I'd find my people here. I was playing the video and tearing up watching it (um maybe sniffling and hiccuping a bit too). Total sympathy crier too.

We are definitely your people! I cry over pretty much all the nighttime shows, at the first whiff of Main Street, first glimpse of the castle, any time my kid's faces light up over anything Disney, any time I see other people's kids get super excited over anything Disney, etc. I'm not normally a very emotional person, but at Disney I can't help it!

Last year was the first time I had seen the Rope Drop (opening ceremony) at Magic Kingdom. I was with my 21 year old daughter and as soon as I saw Mary Poppins, I got very emotional. She thought I was crazy.....oh well!! That first view of the Castle.....Ahh...every time!!!!
We are definitely your people!!!

Illuminations does not make me cry. I do get a bit choked up at Christmas Wishes, Candlelight Processional, A Joyful Celebration, the Goodnight Kiss and that man with the mustache we call Tink flying over Fantasyland. :)

What gets me more than anything else is seeing characters fawn all over kids with special needs. I cry every single time. Sometimes my face is red from crying when it is my turn.

Illuminations does not make me cry. I do get a bit choked up at Christmas Wishes, Candlelight Processional, A Joyful Celebration, the Goodnight Kiss and that man with the mustache we call Tink flying over Fantasyland. :)

What gets me more than anything else is seeing characters fawn all over kids with special needs. I cry every single time. Sometimes my face is red from crying when it is my turn.
Tink has a mustache? whut?!? :confused3

I cry over Illuminations. I cry over Wishes. I cry over the Good Morning show. I cry over hearing the Grand Floridian Orchestra playing "When You Wish Upon A Star." I freakin' cry over Philharmagic when all the kids in the room shriek with delight as their favorite characters come on screen. I'm tearin' up now just thinking about it!

I'm a man in touch with my emotions, lol

All that said, it's time for them to come up with new shows to replace both Wishes and Illuminations.

I really don't get Illuminations or Wishes, so no, I don't cry.

I am not your people. I really don't belong in this thread. :rotfl:
you might be my people. I also suggested in a thread about what snacks to pack a bottle of vodka. You might be my people there just not here!

All that said, it's time for them to come up with new shows to replace both Wishes and Illuminations.
nooooooooooooooo

well wishes could be changed, i'm not that attached. it doesn't seem all that different from fantasy in the sky.

but illuminations? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo

I tear up at IllumiNations, Wishes, and Philharmagic also. I cried the first time I saw the mine in SDMT... I of course cry during the Finding Nemo show and my SIL openly sobs!:lmao:

Not Illuminations, but your passion for the show is likely on par for how much I love Fantasmic!. I tear up at the princesses on the river and hearing Mickey at the end since it is the late Wayne Allwine (voice actor fan here). Good gosh, I even cry at FotLK (Lion King show) during Can You Feel the Love Tonight because it reminds me of the years we did Disney themed ballet recitals and how much I miss dancing. So no, you're not the only 'loon' out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter