Am I going to regret an early Splash FP and be soaked first thing?

I would definitely ride in the morning but I wouldn’t waste a fp on it since the line will likely be short - especially if it’s chilly.

Be prepared and you’ll enjoy the ride and stay dry. Instead of bringing sweatshirts to stay warm in the morning, bring light rain jackets that roll up small. They’re nicer to wear than rain ponchos and lighter and smaller to carry than sweatshirts.

Also, bring a washcloth or small towel and have it ready to quickly wipe your seat before sitting. That way you don’t sit in a puddle!

Zip your jacket before riding and put up your hood at the 2 times when you might get splashed over your head - at the beginning when you pass the logs going down the drop and when you go down the big drop.

Fortunately, when it’s chilly out, they reduce the size of the ‘splash’ so we usually stay pretty dry anyway.

In the early morning when it’s chilly, you can easily ride a few times with no wait! One year, we rode 9 times in a row and had the zip a dee do da stuck in our heads all day! Lol

Enjoy!!

Lots of helpful tips here - thanks! We're riding in early November with an 11 am FP. We're committed to doing it regardless of the weather since we've never been able to before. Our kids won't do rides they might get wet on, so we've always had to skip Splash on family trips. I'm definitely going to wear a poncho and try to sit towards the back. DH will probably refuse the poncho, so fingers crossed it's warm or the splash factor is lowered!
I highly recommend the front row!!

I’d not have any reservations going on Splash in the am in early Nov. that is because I rarely get wet enough. I only remember a few times where we were truly soaked in the hundreds of times I’ve been on it. It may be chilly in the am but probably 70s maybe even 80s later. We’re going on thanksgiving thru 12/7 and I’m not packing any pants, only shorts, taking a rain jacket for am’s.

Now personally I wouldn’t use a 9am FP on it, because I’d go for 7dmt, Space, Pan, btm and a couple others before it. And even with Jersey Week crowds, it shouldn’t be busy enough to need a FP early in the am, especially in nov.

Last edited:
Nope. Ride it early get soaked and have a great time doing it!!!

I’m loving these opinions and tips! That morning is an EMH morning in MK which we plan to do. I have a SDMT FP starting at 11:30 and a Haunted Mansion FP starting at 10. That morning will be our 2nd morning and third half day in MK. The plan is to try and do as many rides in the EMH as we can while working our way towards Frontierland and will ride Splash towards the end of my FP window.

I already have the small throw away ponchos that I was planning to bring in case of a downpour. You guys have convinced me to try them on rides! Right now I haven’t found anything else to modify to but will keep checking. If it ends up being really cold that morning maybe I will just tap in and forget it. I have been on Splash before but always in the humid hot summer.

That day is also the first MVMCP so hopefully things will be lighter in general.

On a side note - I got an email yesterday counting down to the minute and seconds of our arrival. My kids first time - I can’t wait! :banana:

I’m loving these opinions and tips! That morning is an EMH morning in MK which we plan to do. I have a SDMT FP starting at 11:30 and a Haunted Mansion FP starting at 10. That morning will be our 2nd morning and third half day in MK. The plan is to try and do as many rides in the EMH as we can while working our way towards Frontierland and will ride Splash towards the end of my FP window.

I already have the small throw away ponchos that I was planning to bring in case of a downpour. You guys have convinced me to try them on rides! Right now I haven’t found anything else to modify to but will keep checking. If it ends up being really cold that morning maybe I will just tap in and forget it. I have been on Splash before but always in the humid hot summer.

That day is also the first MVMCP so hopefully things will be lighter in general.

On a side note - I got an email yesterday counting down to the minute and seconds of our arrival. My kids first time - I can’t wait! :banana:
Not trying to be a downer, sorry... but first week in Nov- seemingly should be lower crowds - but sometimes Jersey Week factors a bit of an uptick in crowds and surprises. I wouldn’t say too bad though, but a lot NJ families get first week nov thurs fri off, some wed-fri off and they come to WDW.

You’re right, Party days can be less crowded since people avoid going to MK since it closes at 6. Park hoppers like me will still go in the am though. Can get so many rides in in the early am at MK vs other parks.

I am from NJ so I’m one of the groups making it more crowded. ;) We are also planning to hop each day, though that day is our last park day and right now the only thing planned is our first 3 FP.

I’m happy to hear mixed reviews on Splash in the AM. Guess I have a 50/50 shot of being uncomfortable for the rest of the morning!

I am from NJ so I’m one of the groups making it more crowded. ;) We are also planning to hop each day, though that day is our last park day and right now the only thing planned is our first 3 FP.

I’m happy to hear mixed reviews on Splash in the AM. Guess I have a 50/50 shot of being uncomfortable for the rest of the morning!
I wouldn’t worry about getting wet on Splash. Kali River Rapids at AK, different story. But not Splash. I’m one of those shaking my head when I see ponchos on Kali- you’re on it to get wet - what’s the point if you’re gonna put on a poncho.

Only time I hesitate on even Kali is last day before flight. But you dry in the sun fairly quickly. And even Kali I’ve ridden 6x before finally getting slightly wet.

Have a fun trip

I still haven't ridden Kali due to the possibility of being soaked through.

Splash is arguably the best ride in the MK. No way will I deprive myself of it for fear of getting wet. To me there is no difference between riding it at RD or at 3pm. I know it might be cooler in November, but there is a noticeable difference in the amount of water they have going between July and November. I always have a towel in our backpack, just in case.

I still haven't ridden Kali due to the possibility of being soaked through.

Splash is arguably the best ride in the MK. No way will I deprive myself of it for fear of getting wet. To me there is no difference between riding it at RD or at 3pm. I know it might be cooler in November, but there is a noticeable difference in the amount of water they have going between July and November. I always have a towel in our backpack, just in case.
Aw You’re missing out on Kali. One of our favorites- we love watching people’s reactions and anticipation of getting wet. Especially the little ones. I’ve dried myself at a hand dryer in the bathroom before after being soaked. There’s a tv behind the scenes making of Kali and it’s theming.

Another question...where do you feel the drop the most? Front or back? My DD has not done a ride with such a big drop before and I’m honestly not into it that much, but she really wants ride so I’ll take one for the team😝 I haven’t ridden it in years.

Keep in mind that people who say it's cold are likely Florida locals and they are used to the hot hot weather.... I'm from New England and my friend in Florida said it was sooo cold and she was shivering.... I checked the weather over there, it was mid 60s 😂

If you are that worried bring a poncho or change of clothes :)

summer = water cannons ON
fall, winter, morning= water cannons (usually) OFF

From off the ride, it appears like the dropping logs cause a big splash that hits other logs, but that is just an illusion created by the semi-hidden water cannons.

If you wish, watch the logs drop for a bit before you ride. You'll be able to tell if the water cannons are on.

Even when they are ON, most folks don't get hit by them.

This makes sense, but all our visits are in late August, so I would assume the settings would be the same? And for sure this one ride was significantly wetter than any other time I've been on it. Our entire boat was in hysterical laughter, it was that ridiculous.

Aw You’re missing out on Kali. One of our favorites- we love watching people’s reactions and anticipation of getting wet. Especially the little ones. I’ve dried myself at a hand dryer in the bathroom before after being soaked. There’s a tv behind the scenes making of Kali and it’s theming.

I've only been on Kali once and was nearly bone dry by the end of it. Not sure if that had anything to do with it being in December, but I've been on other raft rides in summer in other areas where I come away with barely a sprinkle.

I see we have a ton of former drama students on the board when it comes to this question. haha
It's not that bad and I've been nailed by both water cannons, stuck at the waterfall and the water was the highest I've ever seen it all on the same ride. I was dry within 10 or 15 minutes and it was night time.
Most of the time I barely get wet on the ride.
If you are worried about getting wet, then sit on the left and it lowers your chances. Right before you hit on the big drop just duck and also don't sit in the front row.

I wouldn’t use a FP that early on splash and I wouldn’t ride it that early unless I was carrying a total change of clothes, even down to undergarments and socks, just in case. Especially for those prone to chafing or for little kids.

Splash will NEVER completely soak you...summer, winter, whenever. The "splash" simply isn't that big. You will get some water on you, but won't be soaked head to toe.

Never? You lucky soul. Don’t say never, since it can and does happen.

And being soaked halfway up or down your body is still being soaked and most unpleasant.

I’m one of those shaking my head when I see ponchos on Kali- you’re on it to get wet - what’s the point if you’re gonna put on a ponch

YOU are riding it to get wet.

I prefer the feeling of being splashed but without the all day ramifications. Hence the poncho. And I don’t even use an environmentally-ghastly disposable poncho, but a really good one that I’ve had for years. All the cold and surprise, without the wet bra showing through a shirt that dries faster than what’s underneath.

But you dry in the sun fairly quickly.

My shirt has. Bra, not so much.

And while it was at Disneyland not World, my then ex was wet ALL day since he wears cotton everything. He was dripping for hours. Cotton cargo shorts have a lot of fabric.

Keep in mind that people who say it's cold are likely Florida locals and they are used to the hot hot weather....

I live in WA and there’s a reason our water/amusement park is closed after Labor Day. Being out all day riding rides just isn’t pleasant once it’s below a certain temperature.

Alas our first Orlando trip was December 2010. One Universal morning the temperature according to whatever app I was using was 28 degrees. Empty park. But not all that pleasant.

This makes sense, but all our visits are in late August, so I would assume the settings would be the same? And for sure this one ride was significantly wetter than any other time I've been on it. Our entire boat was in hysterical laughter, it was that ridiculous.
Sometimes the luck of the draw is rough! But those are the rides on Splash that you remember!

Never? You lucky soul. Don’t say never, since it can and does happen.

And being soaked halfway up or down your body is still being soaked and most unpleasant.

As is usually the case in the discussion about Splash (and Pirates and FEA), I think it really comes down to how someone defines "soaked". To me, soaked means getting wet to the point where it's very much like you had jumped into a deep pool. Others define soaked differently. Not right or wrong, just subjective. I've been on Splash a few hundred times, and my favorite seat is the right front ('cause DW refuses to sit there...LOL) and I've never once gotten that wet. Splash simply can't do that. Nor can Pirates or FEA. Kali definitely can. SeaWorld has a version of Kali, and that one definitely can soak you to the bone. But Splash simply can't and won't. The water cannons simply don't shoot enough water.

I already have the small throw away ponchos that I was planning to bring in case of a downpour.

I second the advise of another poster- jackets are also great!

The thing with ponchos is that once you unfold them, they don't really re-fold, so they are a bit wasteful. Mind, we always bring them, we just limit how much we use them. 2nd, ponchos are a bit uncomfortable.

IMO, a better bet is something called a "packable' jacket (or pocketable parka). These jackets fold down into a compact pocket pouch. Many places sell them, like Old Navy and Uniqlo, likely at clearance prices now. Beyond WDW , I love these jackets: inexpensive, easy to carry, travel well, double as windbreakers, and w/ layers for warmth.

Bonus! There's a Uniqlo store in Disney Springs with all kinds of inexpensive Disney shirts, etc.

FL weather can be all over the place, especially November: Cool AM, warm noon, cool PM, maybe intermittent rain. Re-usable jackets are often more useful than one-time ponchos. Dark fleece is also super at WDW in November!

Ponchos are great for unexpected pop up showers., because they are so compact.

As is usually the case in the discussion about Splash (and Pirates and FEA), I think it really comes down to how someone defines "soaked". To me, soaked means getting wet to the point where it's very much like you had jumped into a deep pool. Others define soaked differently. Not right or wrong, just subjective. I've been on Splash a few hundred times, and my favorite seat is the right front ('cause DW refuses to sit there...LOL) and I've never once gotten that wet. Splash simply can't do that. Nor can Pirates or FEA. Kali definitely can. SeaWorld has a version of Kali, and that one definitely can soak you to the bone. But Splash simply can't and won't. The water cannons simply don't shoot enough water.
I totally agree that the answer is subjective. I also think many folks suffer from water phobia.

One of our funniest Kali rides was during a drenching downpour. We were already soaked from the rain, so why not? Rain tends to get us far wetter than the rides usually do.

I think Kali has ben toned down since it opened.

Splash has also been tamed. It used to always be that a deep puddle always formed on the seat. Most, folks used to come off with very wet behinds, which was always kinda gross. That was the old logs though, pre-lap bar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter