• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AM I crazy????

I don't think anyone pointing out death statistics are helping the OP. I have a friend who fears flying. IIRC she took a atavan and a Xanax with her oldest keeping tabs on her. They enjoyed their Mexican cruise so much. Flying would be easier but driving is doable.

OP, I read in your later posts that your DH said to start looking - I think that's great! Just keep an eye on airfares, too - you may find that it ends up being cheaper to fly. (If so, take the money you've saved, and book some extra time at WDW!!)

One of my good friends (who lives in Sweden at the moment), has a year off for maternity leave, as does her husband (paternity leave), so since she's from the USA, they decided to do a 3 MONTH road trip in a camper. They're currently one month into it (near you, actually!) - they started in Philly, are taking the northern route to Seattle, then will go down the west coast, then take a southern route back to Philly. Reading their blog, long road trips definitely have their ups & downs.

Some thoughts, if you do the road trip thing: Sign up for the various hotel chains rewards programs - if you plan your overnights on what hotels you have rewards points for, your hotel stays on the way home might be free! Possibly switch (or sign up for), a CC that offers more than 1% for getting gas, since you'll need a LOT of it! Get your car serviced (and if it's up in the miles, you might want to rethink the whole thing - if your car has issues on the way home you're out of luck!) Try to pack a cooler to have some "regular" foods - you're going to get tired of eating restaurant meals the entire time...

Good luck, whatever you decide! If I had the time, I'd do a road trip like that - my goal would be to take the summer off and just travel from place to place... But when it comes to Disney - it's get me there the quickest way, please!!!

First, tell your hubby thank you for his service as well as you and your family. My family and I travel a lot and the one trip that everyone still talks about and remembers fondly was our longest road trip. We took two weeks and drove from Ohio to Yellowstone National Park and came back via Mt. Rushmore. With the mileage out and back and the mileage in the park I personally drove over 4000 miles and LOVED it. Take your time to plan an interesting route with lots to see and just enjoy the journey and being together. You'll make lots of memories and see tons of scenery. Select routes that are efficient but that aren't mind-numbingly boring (like I-70 for example - a lot of flat nothingness). I've planned many road trips and would be happy to assist you or just offer some ideas - just PM me. Have fun and enjoy the experience!

That's a LONG drive. But, if you guys have the time to drive, not rush DW, and drive home, then I say go for it.

HOWEVER, in the grand scheme of things, flying may very well end up cheaper. My mom and I are planning a trip to Dallas, TX next summer to see family. Her van sucks on gas milage...and we were looking at renting a car with better gas milage. Depending on gas prices at our time of travel, flying is def looking to be the cheaper option for us over renting a car and driving. Not to mention hotel stays there and home.

Overall though, as I said, if your family enjoys road trips that long, go for it. What's the worse that can happen? You all are miserable and fly next time. :)

There is no direct train between Washington state and Orlando but the OP could get there thru Chicago/DC. It involves changing trains in each station and would take about 81 hours. And it would not be cheap. Not my personal preference but for someone who does not fly, it's an option that is out there.

I think that DLR is an excellent alternative for the OP to get her Disney fix. So much closer for her and it's where Walt started it all.

Alaska has direct flights from SEA to MCO. (I'm booked on it in Feb. )

As for the train, I looked up awhile back for kicks and it was 7 days with many transfers, not all of them train.

We would never do the drive, but have figured it would be 7 days to make it bearable. As a kid we would drive from WA to NM every year. 24 hours in the car. Miserable.

I would never drive that long if I can be there in hours.

My husband does not like to fly. After a major panic attack one time,he now takes xanax 1 hr pre-flight and 1 while boarding and has no issues. He has flown numerous times including a flight to Munich to join me on a business trip.

I suggest talking to your family dr. I don't think it is fair to your husband to spend all that time in a car driving - to me that is no vacation.

Another vote for seeing a doctor for meds. You're letting fear and anxiety keep you from the beautiful wide world.

As to your question...no, I would not spend two days in the car when I could take a short flight instead.

My DH has severe motion sickness which led to severe anxiety over flying. He has taken Xanax and Meclizine for many years. One hour preflight and he's good to go. He's even taken transatlantic flights with no problem.

I think you will have to talk to your family and see if they want to do it as well.

We do take road trips as a family often and love them. It's great family time and if you can stop and see sights along the way it's even better.

If you really want to drive maybe take a little less time in WDW to make the drive a little more comfortable for everyone.

We are in Western New York and we are driving down next summer and taking two days to do it. If you're family is up for it then I say go for it and have a great time.

We have decided to fly. Not looking forward to it. Can't take meds to calm down. Biut gonna suck it up lol ;)

We have decided to fly. Not looking forward to it. Can't take meds to calm down. Biut gonna suck it up lol ;)

I know the flight to Orlando will be shorter, but if you're planning on sucking up your fears for Disney, then why not go to Korea with him altogether?

I know the flight to Orlando will be shorter, but if you're planning on sucking up your fears for Disney, then why not go to Korea with him altogether?

Because I don't want to live in Korea for 2 years. Flying isn't the reason for not going to Korea.

I am another person that does not want to fly. I enjoy our road trips; we are planning on driving from Alabama to Massachusetts in June. :cool1: I hope that you have a safe and uneventful flight. Have a great time at DW.

disneygal2007 said:

When your plane lands after 5.5 hours you will be glad that you're not just getting started on the drive out. Lol
Hubby won't fly so we drove down in my IL's RV (not a bad deal). My Mom flew down and I was so jealous when we were leaving that she would be home in 2.5 hours and us 3 days. :/

I just wanted to let you know - my mother is an extreme claustrophobic person who doesn't even drive her car on the freeways. She hates elevators. I thought she would NEVER fly. At age 69, she took her first flight and did wonderful. She said it did not bother her at all (with the help of a xanax) :goodvibes . Even without meds, if she was able to do it, I think you will too. I find that flying with children takes away the nerves for me somewhat - you focus on them more than yourself which also helps.

I also don't like to fly, but taking a xanax when I board now makes it a pleasant experience. I see you don't take meds so not sure if there's a reason (sorry didn't read every page) but for me it helped.

Keep in mind where you are going :moped: (happiest place on earth) and I'm sure you'll do great. Happy flying!!

There is no way in hades I would do that. I'm not even sure I would want to do the drive to Disneyland from Lewis. I would fly or stay home. It's going to not only add so much $$$$ to your trip, you are in denial that you can do it in 2 days with kids and still have enough sanity left to go on vacation.

I've driven cross country before, my kids are great travelers and I think flying is a pain in the rear but what you are considering is just crazy talk. I would either drive to DL or ask the doc for something to get you through the flight.

EDIT I missed the update. Happy Flying.

Because I don't want to live in Korea for 2 years. Flying isn't the reason for not going to Korea.

Does the military even allow the family to live in S Korea? I know at one time they did not.

I'm coming up on the end of my year and a half in Korea (we got stuck in the change of the program, otherwise it would have been two years) and even in the time I've been here I've seen things improve quite a bit. It really isn't that bad. I know it's a personal choice, but coming over here isn't an experience I would change, even though it means I haven't been to Disney in almost 2 years.
Also, the money is really good over here. I've been able to afford going back to the States twice for dying grandparents and we still have managed to save quite a bit more on top of that. Pretty much everyone I know here manages to save quite a bit of money whether they come with sponsorship or without.

My biggest regret is that we didn't get to go to Tokyo Disney while we were her, but that's because I decided to go back to the States twice for dying grandparents.

If two years is too much for you, it is possible to come over non-command sponsored and just do the year tour. I don't know that I'd be willing to do that with kids (especially older ones) but the entitlements are pretty much the same, except you have to pay for your plane tickets (being at Fort Lewis gives you the easy option of SpaceA on the Patriot Express) passports (which I recommend everyone having anyways) you don't qualify for DLA or CSP pay, and your weight limit is lower.

There are Facebook pages for all the different installments over here (Camp Casey, Yongsan, Red Cloud, Humphreys, Osan). It might be worth it to check them out.

When I first started researching Korea I was really turned off by it as well, because of the lack of information available to me, but now I know where to look.

If my kids were smaller we would go. There are several reasons we are staying. One big one is my job. I don't want to leave my kids at work. And my oldest is getting the help he needs here. We all have our own reasons for doing things.

We drove ME to FL one time. It took two pretty full days to get down. (Stopping late/up early) We were fueled by the excitement of the trip and all ready to go.

That ride home though was the longest trip of our life. You're tired from the drive down, likely run all around WDW and ready for a vacation to recover, and now you want to get in a car for a l-o-n-g car ride home?

I vote to look at Disneyland instead!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter