• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here at the Poly now. Our room is very clean and the view is a straight shot of the castle. Had a great dinner at Cali Grill and watched Wishes. I love being at a resort on the monorail. Poly is great, but now I'm spoiled.

We checked in this afternoon ... also CL, TPV!
Our room was also very clean.

I know there's always concerns about the food in the lounge ... we arrived to grab something to eat about 5:20. It was pretty full (we grabbed the last table), but there was lots of food & it was fresh (the kitchen staff was hustling to replenish as needed). Not a lot of variety out for the desserts later tonight, cookies, one type of tart, brownies and some macaroons (which were deliscious!)

I will post some pictures in the next few days (can't be bothered to upload to photobucket tonight)

For anyone arriving in the next couple of days, there is a note in our room saying that they are going to be doing resurfacing in sections of the parking lot from tomorrow (the 22) until the 24th. I'm not sure how this will affect those with vehicles and the availability of parking. They started blocking off parts of the parking lot today.

I have to say the weather was perfect we had only a sprinkle of rain for a few seconds the whole week.
We stayed in Nuie on the second floor. This is a great location with being close to everything. I only had two complaints. We could not get our refrigerator to work :rolleyes: and the resort was more crowded than when we went last September but it was still fun and we still love it !
We ate at Kona and Ohana during our stay. We had dinner and breakfast at Ohana and just dinner at Kona. My the food, the food we were totally stuffed ! Ohana is our favorite and we really like the food and entertainment there. I wasnt that impressed with Kona, although my DGD loved her food there.
I have a lot of photos I'm adding on the Poly resort photo thread.

Where can I find the Poly refurb schedule? I keep searching All Ears and Tikiman's site, but can't seem to find recent info. Somebody said up-thread that the Hawaii refurb had been pushed out, and might be again. I'd really like to know where I can look for updates! I'm currently staying in Tahiti, but would upgrade to Hawaii in a heartbeat if it became available...

Yes, July will be our first CL stay at the Poly and I couldn't be more excited :goodvibes. It looks like you will be there about a month before us.....hope you will report back on your stay when you return ;).

If it were me, I would feel more comfortable scheduling the cabana from 3-7 since it is your arrival day and you never know if something might hold you up and possibly delay you getting there in time for the 10-2 time frame. I am looking into the cabanas for our stay, but since I can't decide if it would be worth it for us or not, I'm glad I still have some time to decide :rolleyes1.

I will definitely post back after we stay at the Poly.

We have decided to schedule the cabana for 3-7 for our arrival day. We came up with the same scenario as you "what if we are delayed". We also decided to stop over in Santee, SC for the night and get an early start the next morning. This way I can do all the driving and not have to worry about DH driving my new car.:crazy2::sad2: I drive every where we go so giving up control is not going to be easy for me. Breaking up the road trip will allow me not to give up that control. Besides, our DS feels more comfortable with me driving anyway.:rolleyes1

Back from our CL stay at the Poly last week. As usual, it was awesome.

There were a few things that irked us, but we didn't let that ruin our vacation.

1) Two days in a row we were unable to find parking in the Poly lot ... both nights were MNSSHP nights so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

2) People in the CL lounge really need to start picking up after themselves. One night was really bad - one of the larger tables had cups, plates, leftover food scattered all over the table, and the group of people just got up and left without cleaning up their table. I did mention something to one of the people leaving that maybe they should clean up their mess - she just laughed and shrugged her shoulders and said yeah I thought they were going to clean it up - then left herself ... Unreal!!!

Weather was great and we are definitely looking forward to going back in May!!

We checked in this afternoon ... also CL, TPV!
Our room was also very clean.

I know there's always concerns about the food in the lounge ... we arrived to grab something to eat about 5:20. It was pretty full (we grabbed the last table), but there was lots of food & it was fresh (the kitchen staff was hustling to replenish as needed). Not a lot of variety out for the desserts later tonight, cookies, one type of tart, brownies and some macaroons (which were deliscious!)

Glad you're happy with your room and glad to hear the lounge food is plentiful and fresh. I hope you have a great trip :goodvibes.

I have to say the weather was perfect we had only a sprinkle of rain for a few seconds the whole week.
We stayed in Nuie on the second floor. This is a great location with being close to everything. I only had two complaints. We could not get our refrigerator to work :rolleyes: and the resort was more crowded than when we went last September but it was still fun and we still love it !
We ate at Kona and Ohana during our stay. We had dinner and breakfast at Ohana and just dinner at Kona. My the food, the food we were totally stuffed ! Ohana is our favorite and we really like the food and entertainment there. I wasnt that impressed with Kona, although my DGD loved her food there.
I have a lot of photos I'm adding on the Poly resort photo thread.

I'm glad the weather was good with very little rain. I'm sorry about the refrigerator in your room, but I hope you had a great trip, even with it being crowded ;).

I will definitely post back after we stay at the Poly.

We have decided to schedule the cabana for 3-7 for our arrival day. We came up with the same scenario as you "what if we are delayed". We also decided to stop over in Santee, SC for the night and get an early start the next morning. This way I can do all the driving and not have to worry about DH driving my new car.:crazy2::sad2: I drive every where we go so giving up control is not going to be easy for me. Breaking up the road trip will allow me not to give up that control. Besides, our DS feels more comfortable with me driving anyway.:rolleyes1

I will be waiting for your report next summer ::yes::. I think you made a good choice with the later cabana time, that way you won't be stressed should you get delayed. Too funny about you being able to do all the driving now and DS being more comfortable with you driving :laughing:. We always fly as it's about 16-18 hours for us and there is no way I'd make it driving that far :rotfl: :rotfl:.

We leave on Friday....cant wait!!!

Have a great trip :cool1: :cool1:.

Just booked GV CL for April 7-13. Very excited. Will I need DDP with CL food?

Congrats on booking CL :yay:. I think whether or not to get the DDP with CL is a personal preference and depends on how you eat. The lounge food isn't really meant to be a meal replacement, but if someone is a light eater or is used to eating appetizers for dinner, it is possible to make a meal out of the lounge offerings and not need meals/DDP. Others (like us) would do fine with CL and the DDP as we have 2 older teen boys that love to eat and need actual meals and would not get full on the CL offerings.

There were a few things that irked us, but we didn't let that ruin our vacation.

1) Two days in a row we were unable to find parking in the Poly lot ... both nights were MNSSHP nights so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

2) People in the CL lounge really need to start picking up after themselves. One night was really bad - one of the larger tables had cups, plates, leftover food scattered all over the table, and the group of people just got up and left without cleaning up their table. I did mention something to one of the people leaving that maybe they should clean up their mess - she just laughed and shrugged her shoulders and said yeah I thought they were going to clean it up - then left herself ... Unreal!!!

Glad you had a great stay :goodvibes. I'm sorry about some of the CL guests that left dirty dishes/food behind. I will never understand why people don't clean up after themselves and how they can just walk away from a dirty table :sad2:.

We noticed this last month too. Great example to set for the kids :(

Thanks so much for the great review. We noticed this at the YC CL this past June. The CM's actually told you to leave your stuff on the table.:crazy2: I cleaned our stuff up any way.

I also think that people feel that they are paying for CL that it entitles them to leave their mess behind. Really, get over yourself and clean up after your self.

I will be waiting for your report next summer ::yes::. I think you made a good choice with the later cabana time, that way you won't be stressed should you get delayed. Too funny about you being able to do all the driving now and DS being more comfortable with you driving :laughing:. We always fly as it's about 16-18 hours for us and there is no way I'd make it driving that far :rotfl: :rotfl:.

We will be bringing our lap top so I can post while we are there.:yay:

Yes, the cabana for the afternoon is perfect for us. If we were driving the 17 hours, than I would have to share :-)crazy2::scared:) the driving with my DH. But since we are stopping for the night and arriving the next day, I can do all the driving.:yay:

OK CL question. Do they have scones at the Poly and if so what kind? TIA:flower3:

Yes, the cabana for the afternoon is perfect for us. If we were driving the 17 hours, than I would have to share :-)crazy2::scared:) the driving with my DH. But since we are stopping for the night and arriving the next day, I can do all the driving.:yay:

OK CL question. Do they have scones at the Poly and if so what kind? TIA:flower3:

That sounds great......it will be nice to read live reports :goodvibes.

Stopping for the night makes for a nice break from driving so long. You will be rested and refreshed for your arrival day ::yes::.

Thanks so much for the great review. We noticed this at the YC CL this past June. The CM's actually told you to leave your stuff on the table.:crazy2: I cleaned our stuff up any way.

I also think that people feel that they are paying for CL that it entitles them to leave their mess behind. Really, get over yourself and clean up after your self.

No scones in CL. Croissants, bagels and assorted danish. You can also ask for yogurt

That sounds great......it will be nice to read live reports :goodvibes.

Stopping for the night makes for a nice break from driving so long. You will be rested and refreshed for your arrival day ::yes::.

This is what I was thinking also. Nice and fresh for when we arrive at the Poly.:thumbsup2

No scones in CL. Croissants, bagels and assorted danish. You can also ask for yogurt

Oh thanks so much. I really like the scones at the GF CL and was hoping they had them at the Poly. Oh well, I guess I will have to force myself to eat the croissants.:lmao: Glad to hear that I can ask for yogurt as well. Thanks again.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I am also driving to Disney, but From Chicago. I would love to ask more about the drive??
or: come to my PTR and help?

I'm glad to hear everyone is having a good experience with the resort and CL. There's nothing you can do about other guests. We'll ignore any weird behavior.

We arrive on Saturday! 7 full days of being immersed in a fairy tale, I can't wait! I just hope the weather doesn't cause any problems. Looks like jackets might be needed for DH and the kids in the am/pm. The poor dears get cold easy ;)

I'm glad to hear everyone is having a good experience with the resort and CL. There's nothing you can do about other guests. We'll ignore any weird behavior.

We arrive on Saturday! 7 full days of being immersed in a fairy tale, I can't wait! I just hope the weather doesn't cause any problems. Looks like jackets might be needed for DH and the kids in the am/pm. The poor dears get cold easy ;)

We will be there in a few days as well. There was inappropriate behavior last visit to Poly CL (as opposed to the way we behave in public) and there may be this visit. But, we don't worry about what other people are doing or eating, etc. Our only concern is how we handle ourselves:thumbsup2 Have a wonderful trip! Poly CL is magical!:goodvibes

I am also driving to Disney, but From Chicago. I would love to ask more about the drive??
or: come to my PTR and help?

Oh I would love to be able to help but this will be the first time we have driven since 1999. So this is kind of a new adventure for us.:faint:

We will be there in a few days as well. There was inappropriate behavior last visit to Poly CL (as opposed to the way we behave in public) and there may be this visit. But, we don't worry about what other people are doing or eating, etc. Our only concern is how we handle ourselves:thumbsup2 Have a wonderful trip! Poly CL is magical!:goodvibes

We'll probably see you in the lounge! Hope your vacation is wonderful :)

alex9179 said:
We'll probably see you in the lounge! Hope your vacation is wonderful :)

We'll be there Sunday & will likely see you in the lounge too! 5 sleeps...well 5 more nights of trying to sleep ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter