• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: September 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T-minus 10 days until our first stay at the Poly. Someone please tell me that the volcano pool is still open? I know its not that warm but my four year old will want to swim anyway and I've been stressing about the potential for the pool to be under refurb since we booked back in August.

I've stayed all over Disney, but never at the Poly - and now I know what the hype is all about. Best stay ever. Especially with my 3yo son who (on his third trip) now is really capturing the magic of Disney. And my 80 yo father who on his first trip, could not stop smiling (The minnie mouse at Chef Mickey's was phenomenal).

Asked for adjoining rooms and patio or balcony and were put in Tokelau, first floor, not facing the quiet pool. Honestly, the rooms weren't perfect (1929 is right next to the service entrance and the patio is not usable, it's tiny) - still, the size of the rooms more than made up for any momentary disappointment. And we were close to the main entrance, so that was a plus as well. We'd not ask for that room again, but we wouldn't be disappointed to have it again either.

Only flaw in service was a disagreeable person at Kona cafe - I wish people who actively hate helping people would not take service positions. She just could not be bothered and kept saying "no" over and over, until I asked to speak to a manager. Oh well! But made up for by the extremely competent manager at captain cook's who helped us out instead (running up to Kona to get it done, :rotfl:). Also a night manager surprised me with a bit of Disney magic and a loaf of Kona bread!

All in all, I don't know how we'll stay anywhere else...and my husband wants to go back already!

Thanks again for your help and advice. I couldn't post before this because i was too sad not to be at the Poly - now I have another trip to plan, so I feel much better.

Sorry about the little problems, but it sounds that you had just a wonderful time. We are staying here for the first time in September when we bring our DS for the first time. I glad your DS also liked it!!!

I'm contemplating lagoon view in Tuvalu but not sure if it's worth the extra $866. Has anyone stayed lagoon view in Tuvalu and do you think it's worth the extra money?

Sent from my Galaxy S II

I agree with Wanna be Ariel, that's cutting it awfully close - they say allow 90 minutes from the time you land until the time you reach your resort, so without any delays, that takes you to approximately 8:00 pm. The only way I could see you doing it would be to have one of you check in while the other went upstairs to O'hana's to check in for your ADR. Then comes the problem of getting your luggage to the room then back to O'hana's before they call you for your ADR.

I'd go with something quick at Cap't Cooks and then head on out to the beach to watch Wishes.

79CF469C000B75F043E9CDD02D603D37.png

I guess I didn't realize just how close I was cutting it. I might do as suggested, grab a bite at Cap't Cooks and head to the beach. My granddaughter wants to swim asap anyway. Either that or perhaps I can make a later reservation, like maybe 8:45/9:00ish...This is just another something I've got to think about now...:upsidedow

I'm back!!! :cool1:

This year we did not have a Disney family trip planned since we are taking two other family vacations elsewhere. While I was bummed to miss out on the Poly, I knew I would be attending a conference in May and able to see WDW even if I wasn't staying at the Poly (POR instead). But then DD says she wants to take me up on my offer of no birthday party or presents this year, but instead, going to WDW with a friend. She turns 9 and it's a little young to bring a friend alone (although I was totally willing to do it since this friend is comfortable with me). So what does Disney do??? Release a discount!!! YEAH!! So I booked the trip for DD and her friend and her friend's mom (whom I am friends with). They think we are staying at a moderate resort but I secretly booked the Poly :thumbsup2

Alright, that was a long story ::yes::

We'll be staying at the Poly for 4 nights at the end of May. It looks like my favorite longhouse - Tokelau - is scheduled to be rehabed then. It's funny because my first stay at the Poly, and Tokelau, was in 2007 and they were rehabing the rooms then! So last time, they kept the longhouse open - are they doing that this time as well? Now that my kids are older and don't need naps, I don't care if they are doing the work while we visit. I just want to be able to request Tokelau!!

So excited to follow along on one of my favorite Disboard threads and let the excitement build :goodvibes

Disney called my friend / travel agent to get a new room request. Saying they can't accommodate my Samoa request for a 2/1 check in. I knew this thanks to Tikimans updates but my friend was floored that Disney hasn't updated the travel agent site. What's the next closest garden view with balcony (closest TK main lobby). Tokeleu?

Hey All-

Just back from our 1/15-1/21 stay at Poly. It was our first time and we loved it! Just wanted to give you all a head's up. This photo was taken from the area (near the Beach) where Tokelau and Hawaii meet. This is the current rehab at the Hawaii Building.

We were in Tokelau room 3905 and the construction noises were quite loud. Just an fyi in case anyone is requesting.

IMG_9364.jpg

On a brighter note-- sunrise over the Lake (from Tokelau)
IMG_9301.jpg

Collection of towel animals from Mary Ann-- who was awesome!
IMG_9470.jpg

have a great day everyone!

jenniferma said:
Hey All-

Just back from our 1/15-1/21 stay at Poly. It was our first time and we loved it! Just wanted to give you all a head's up. This photo was taken from the area (near the Beach) where Tokelau and Hawaii meet. This is the current rehab at the Hawaii Building.

We were in Tokelau room 3905 and the construction noises were quite loud. Just an fyi in case anyone is requesting.

On a brighter note-- sunrise over the Lake (from Tokelau)

Collection of towel animals from Mary Ann-- who was awesome!

have a great day everyone!

Thx for the assessment! On what side of Tokelau were you, or is all each-end noisy?

Thanks for the construction update jenniferma! If anyone else is going soon please keep us updated!

T-minus 10 days until our first stay at the Poly. Someone please tell me that the volcano pool is still open? I know its not that warm but my four year old will want to swim anyway and I've been stressing about the potential for the pool to be under refurb since we booked back in August.

I will be there same time. I think it doesn't close until first of March.

1 degree in Chicago and battling frozen pipes. POLY, take me away! 11 days cannot come soon enough!

Thinking the same here - frozen pipes and just 4 days to go!

Thanks for the construction update jenniferma! If anyone else is going soon please keep us updated!

We're arriving Saturday and will take photos! Many thanks to jenniferma for the updates!

I'll be staying there this sunday with my whole family. We requested two connecting rooms in tokelau with a balcony. Fingers crossed!

I am not a fan of a split stay, but it was the only way to do the Poly this go around. Right now I am booked the end of June for the Poly GVCL for 4 nights at the end of our trip. I know it is a splurge and I could do 5 STD, but since I will not be back for a while, I want to stay in the new rooms. I am excited and my Poly loving kids do not know. They think the entire trip will be at CSR.:goodvibes

We'll be staying at the Poly for 4 nights at the end of May. It looks like my favorite longhouse - Tokelau - is scheduled to be rehabed then.

According to tikiman's site, it looks like Tokelau is scheduled to start rehab at the end of March, and that they'll be on to Fiji by the end of May. Do you have different info? I just requested Tokelau myself for early May, so I'm hoping they'll be done with that by May. :goodvibes

Thx for the assessment! On what side of Tokelau were you, or is all each-end noisy?

we were in room 3905 facing the quiet pool.. about 3/4 of the way down towards Bay Lake.

I think Tokelau would be okay either at the other end or facing the other direction. The BEEP BEEP BEEPing sounds start early and last until 5-- M-F .. it is not a relaxing sound for sure.

have a great day!
jen

One more sleep till we leave! :cool1:

We decided to try 'Ohana again. We didn't have the best time there last time due to rushed service. But since we are staying Poly this time we thought "why not?' It has been a while and this time I will ask them to slooooow down.

So I made this decision not when I made my ADRs but (stupidly) only a couple weeks ago. Of course there are no reservations left for Friday night. I'd been trying and trying and only getting 9:45, which is too late with little kids.

Logged on this morning to try one last time and a 5:05 for 5 popped up. Perfect! I grabbed it and we're on! Hopefully this is a good omen for lots of pixie dust for us this trip. princess:

jenniferma said:
we were in room 3905 facing the quiet pool.. about 3/4 of the way down towards Bay Lake.

I think Tokelau would be okay either at the other end or facing the other direction. The BEEP BEEP BEEPing sounds start early and last until 5-- M-F .. it is not a relaxing sound for sure.

have a great day!
jen

Thx! May I ask, how early is too early? 7am?

Just checked into The Poly. Got our request, 3rd floor Tahiti, TPV. So nice to be back. The BWI was lovely, but its not the Poly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter