ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I unsubscribed from this thread when I "settled" and booked the YC for our May trip. Don't get me wrong we LOVE the Epcot area but haven't been to the Poly since 2009 and we're ready to go back this year! This is a big trip for us...celebrating DH bday, DD13 8th grade graduation, 25 years marriage and all 5 of us together since 2008. I will be at the BC in March with my brother and niece. Epcot resorts are the way to go for us because Epcot and DHS are our favs BUT the Poly was also convenient because of Epcot monorail, just not so much to DHS. I'm struggling with the view at Y and B club for the club level rooms...being a family of 5, it's a parking lot view only. We have stayed GV club at Poly and always enjoyed that view. I'm not saying I spend a lot of time on the balcony but I do enjoy my coffee there while the rest of them get ready. I also enjoy being close to the lounge and even in the farthest room from the Poly lounge it was ok. I can upgrade to a deluxe club level at the BC but those Roma are on different floors from the lounge and far.

Which brings me back to considering the Poly...

1. We are NOT huge pool people but do enjoy and occasional drink and dip in the pool.

2. Access to Epcot monorail is essential and a deal breaker if that was going to be disrupted during construction.

3. Even the lobby being renovated shouldn't be too big of a problem since we would be club level and eat BF in lounge and most meals in parks.

4. We do like to come back for an afternoon break, so a lot of noise would not be pleasant.

So with that said my Poly peeps...WWYD? Our dates are May 17-23 2014. Last I checked the GV CL room was available with the new discount.

I unsubscribed from this thread when I "settled" and booked the YC for our May trip. Don't get me wrong we LOVE the Epcot area but haven't been to the Poly since 2009 and we're ready to go back this year! This is a big trip for us...celebrating DH bday, DD13 8th grade graduation, 25 years marriage and all 5 of us together since 2008. I will be at the BC in March with my brother and niece. Epcot resorts are the way to go for us because Epcot and DHS are our favs BUT the Poly was also convenient because of Epcot monorail, just not so much to DHS. I'm struggling with the view at Y and B club for the club level rooms...being a family of 5, it's a parking lot view only. We have stayed GV club at Poly and always enjoyed that view. I'm not saying I spend a lot of time on the balcony but I do enjoy my coffee there while the rest of them get ready. I also enjoy being close to the lounge and even in the farthest room from the Poly lounge it was ok. I can upgrade to a deluxe club level at the BC but those Roma are on different floors from the lounge and far.

Which brings me back to considering the Poly...

1. We are NOT huge pool people but do enjoy and occasional drink and dip in the pool.

2. Access to Epcot monorail is essential and a deal breaker if that was going to be disrupted during construction.

3. Even the lobby being renovated shouldn't be too big of a problem since we would be club level and eat BF in lounge and most meals in parks.

4. We do like to come back for an afternoon break, so a lot of noise would not be pleasant.

So with that said my Poly peeps...WWYD? Our dates are May 17-23 2014. Last I checked the GV CL room was available with the new discount.

We have stayed at the Poly five times now and our kids are diehards! LOL When we booked our BB for this fall DH and the girls would only briefly consider the GF, then insisted on the Poly. We are booked CL GV, so we are hoping that having the lounge will be a buffer to all of the other chaos that we expect to encounter. I guess we are just terrible creatures of habit. We can't give up the location or the feeling of being at our "home" resort. I would just be sure that everyone in your party is aware of and ok with the absolute worst case scenario so that no one is surprised or disappointed if that happens, and hopefully it won't be that bad once you get there!

So far access to the TTC is not a problem and I know early on, when they were driving the piles for the DVC construction docks in the lagoon people who had a problem with the noise were moved if there were available rooms.

We are planning a trip May 24-31, 2014. I am ok with some construction going on... Don't mind seeing cranes and whatever else inthebackground... But, the pool and beach being closed??? Tell me it ain't so!!! Does anyone know the dates these renovations to the pool and beach will begin? I can't believe I am finally making it back to the Poly and we may not get to enjoy the volcano pool and watch fireworks from the beach ?!?!:worried:

If you got there in September and the construction was bad, I am sure they would put you in another Deluxe resort. They have done that before.

i have to agree... it's one of those things i wish wasn't happening but it is a must.. Suck it up and deal! well that's what i keep telling the spoiled brat of a brain i have... I will keep an eye on what's being said

thank you for all the updates, hope they keep coming in!!

Hi all! This is my very first post, and I want to thank you all for the refurb information thus far. It's been very helpful as I plan my trip for May.

I just finished making my reservations, and ultimately went with the Contemporary. I had my heart set on the Poly for this trip with my 4-year-old, but I'm too nervous to spend $400+ per night if there's no volcano pool, or if the GCH or beach are a big construction mess.

For what it's worth, and the reason I'm posting, is that I inquired about the Poly construction before I made the CR res. The only information that the agent had immediately available was that the Neverland Club is now shut down. She asked me why I was asking, and I said it was because I knew there was a major refurb scheduled. She looked and looked through her computer, came up with nothing, then put me on hold for about 5 minutes, and when she came back on the phone she said yes, there will be construction going on, and it will affect some lagoon view rooms.

Obviously this is what we already know, I'm just sharing it because I'm surprised that the phone agent had to dig so deep to get this little piece of info, and had no prior knowledge of it.

In any case, I have some time to switch my res to the Poly if I hear construction dates get pushed back further, and again, thank you all for the info so far!

A few pictures from our night at the Poly this past Monday (1/6)

view of the current construction from our balcony, Tuvalu 3048:

IMG_5822.JPG

awesome room
IMG_5803.JPG

majorly awesome view

IMG6054.jpg

Does look like an awesome view!! Even that bird likes it! :) great pic.
Love the room refurb.

we leave so soon and I have no idea why I am having such a hard time deciding on what longhouse to request!

Do you always request one or just hope for the best??

We just booked a regular standard room.

Help me choose!

Is the GCH lobby now closed (I've been reading some rumblings on other threads and am wondering if there is any truth to them)?:confused3

All that should be closed right now in the Great Ceremonial House should be Wyland Gallery. I have not seen any sort of schedule for what will close when.

Is the GCH lobby now closed (I've been reading some rumblings on other threads and am wondering if there is any truth to them)?:confused3

Tikiman is correct! Only Wyland is closed. The doors have been completely blacked out and there is a rope/barrier in front if the doors. I am sitting outside right now and all is quiet...we are in Hawaii and do not hear the construction noise.

Tikiman is correct! Only Wyland is closed. The doors have been completely blacked out and there is a rope/barrier in front if the doors. I am sitting outside right now and all is quiet...we are in Hawaii and do not hear the construction noise.

Thanks for the update

Great to hear! We will be staying at Hawaii in 15 days and we can't wait. What's your room view like?

We are garden view with a patio. We love the location!

We've stayed in Hawaii once and got a second floor room. No patio or balcony but we didn't mind because we were so close to the lounge :cool1: I'm glad to hear that the construction noise isn't bothersome.

i will be going to Disney for July 4 and thinking about staying at the Poly but now i hear the pool is going to be closed by then. Should i just book the Grand Floridian ?

Anyone in Hawaii now? Can you post any lounge food pics or menus? Just wondering if it's close to what is was like in 2009.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter