ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: October 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the dimensions of the closets? I want to bring an over the door organizer and was hoping to hang it in the closet. Thanks! 4 days until our stay!

I also noted that the one closet had double bars, one up and one in the middle, so if you have a dress or long sweater it will drag :confused3 The other side has one bar up top and then the space at the halfway mark was a shelf with the safe and a spot for shoes, ironing board and iron... not a lot of room imo nor do I think you'll be able to fit an over the door organizer if it's longer than 12 inches :)

When I checked in at VGF on 1/2/14 I was told the villas at Poly were all going to be 2bedrooms. I was surprised at that info. Anybody else hear anything recently?

When I checked in at VGF on 1/2/14 I was told the villas at Poly were all going to be 2bedrooms. I was surprised at that info. Anybody else hear anything recently?

The bungalows are going to be 2 bedrooms but the converted longhouses will all be studios.

I have a stay booked for Poly in May and am going to stay Club level for the first time! Just as an FYI, I though I would post what my IPO welcome letter said...and I quote: "As you are aware we are continuing with our Resort's refurbishment. At this time the Nanea Volcano Pool is not scheduled for refurbishment, nor is the Great Ceremonial House."
Now, I know this may be bad info. I fully expect the pool to be closed and the GCH to be a construction zone. However, it gives me a little ray of hope that things will be ok!

When in May are you going? We wanted to stay there May13th-May19th but was afraid the Volcano pool would be closed. How long ago did you get the letter? I thought the GCH was already closed? We would switch our reservation if I knew that the pool would be open.

When in May are you going? We wanted to stay there May13th-May19th but was afraid the Volcano pool would be closed. How long ago did you get the letter? I thought the GCH was already closed? We would switch our reservation if I knew that the pool would be open.

I am going May 18th. I got the letter last week. I trust Tikiman more than the IPO office though. The letter just said nothing was scheduled so far for renovations...it did not say there will be NO renovations during May. I booked for May knowing full well there may be no pool and asbestos dust in the GCH! I just could not get excited about another resort as much as I do the Poly. The silver lining will be, even if it is a construction zone, Rapa Nui and Tahiti should still be closed (I doubt they will convert to DVC in only 4 months...right Tikiman?), which should cut down on crowds!

Monorail needs refurbishment. Everything looks old and in need of TLC our recent trip was a bit of a disappointment as well. We were not made aware of construction obstructed view nor were we compensated :confused3 Don't expect Disney Quality. Staff appeared overworked or unfriendly? Not sure... And food was bordering on bad? Seaweed salad was definitely bad and dumplings missing ginger or garlic or lemongrass??? Compared to our last experience we were a bit disappointed. Not sure how the lack of monorail will accommodate you. Wish you the best but if you don't expect the best you won't be disappointed :confused3 JMHO :confused:

The same thing is happening in the islands of Hawaii. I do not think Disney is too blame. With the economy as it is everyone is feeling the pressure. It is the trickle down effect. Unfortunitly our country is now faced with paying more and getting less. But this is seen everywhere. Cut backs are every where. The staff are probally getting paid less and/or there may be less of them. I am sorry you were disappointed in your visit. It really is hard when they do not inform you of the construction. Unfortunitly that puts a bad taste in your mouth during the rest of the trip. Even for us that are planning it can be frustrating when there is no concrete information on When, what, and for how long. May be in the future you will get a pin for a great discount on a future trip.

I am going May 18th. I got the letter last week. I trust Tikiman more than the IPO office though. The letter just said nothing was scheduled so far for renovations...it did not say there will be NO renovations during May. I booked for May knowing full well there may be no pool and asbestos dust in the GCH! I just could not get excited about another resort as much as I do the Poly. The silver lining will be, even if it is a construction zone, Rapa Nui and Tahiti should still be closed (I doubt they will convert to DVC in only 4 months...right Tikiman?), which should cut down on crowds!

Tahiti and Rapa Nui will not reopen until DVC opens in late 2015.

Aloha!

I am heading to the Poly in just 10 days! This is our family's second time staying at the resort and we are thrilled not only to be going to DW but to stay at the Poly as well (construction and all!)

Last year we requested and receive a room in Tokelau, 3rd floor facing the quiet pool. We loved our room and the location as we mostly walked to the TTC for the monorail/ferry to MK and monorail to Epcot. I am hesitant to request the same location with the construction in Tahiti and Rapa Nui, especially now that they have been closed. I was thinking of requesting Samoa 3rd floor but my DH wants to just not request anything, see what we are assigned and deal with it at check in. I am afraid requesting nothing we will get the worst room on property!

Would anyone still request Tokelau at this point?

Aloha!

I am heading to the Poly in just 10 days! This is our family's second time staying at the resort and we are thrilled not only to be going to DW but to stay at the Poly as well (construction and all!)

Last year we requested and receive a room in Tokelau, 3rd floor facing the quiet pool. We loved our room and the location as we mostly walked to the TTC for the monorail/ferry to MK and monorail to Epcot. I am hesitant to request the same location with the construction in Tahiti and Rapa Nui, especially now that they have been closed. I was thinking of requesting Samoa 3rd floor but my DH wants to just not request anything, see what we are assigned and deal with it at check in. I am afraid requesting nothing we will get the worst room on property!

I have never requested anything and 2 of my first 4 stays at the resort I was upgraded in view and to club level once. Twice I changed my room to something else at check in with no problems.

I have never requested anything and 2 of my first 4 stays at the resort I was upgraded in view and to club level once. Twice I changed my room to something else at check in with no problems.

Thanks! I guess we will wait and see what we get at check in.

We arrive Jan. 21. Soon after making our reservation many months ago I started reading about construction and renovation. Got stressed, then decided it will be fine-- it's my beloved Poly, after all?

I stopped reading updates...until today. Now I'm just confused :confused3
We are staying in Hawaii. We haven't received any notices of inconveniences.

I expected the Volcano pool (DS favorite...he used to call the Poly the Volcano pool hotel when little) to be closed.
I'm trying to read posts and Tikiman's FB page but cannot figure out if the renovation was delayed leaving the pool open for a bit or if it is currently being resurfaced but major work will start in the Spring (kind of doesn't make sense).

I saw a post in this thread that the monorail service will be out of service from 11:30 am to 7pm beginning the day we check in continuing for weeks to come. Accurate? That will really be a bummer.

Anyone care to give me a quick update on what to expect in less than 2 weeks?
Sorry for the annoying request. The thread is so long.

We arrive Jan. 21. Soon after making our reservation many months ago I started reading about construction and renovation. Got stressed, then decided it will be fine-- it's my beloved Poly, after all? I stopped reading updates...until today. Now I'm just confused :confused3 We are staying in Hawaii. We haven't received any notices of inconveniences. I expected the Volcano pool (DS favorite...he used to call the Poly the Volcano pool hotel when little) to be closed. I'm trying to read posts and Tikiman's FB page but cannot figure out if the renovation was delayed leaving the pool open for a bit or if it is currently being resurfaced but major work will start in the Spring (kind of doesn't make sense). I saw a post in this thread that the monorail service will be out of service from 11:30 am to 7pm beginning the day we check in continuing for weeks to come. Accurate? That will really be a bummer. Anyone care to give me a quick update on what to expect in less than 2 weeks? Sorry for the annoying request. The thread is so long.

We check in in 17 days in Hawaii and received a letter regarding construction and the monorail service being down. It stated something about the beach view and the monorail being down but I had read about that here so I wasn't surprised. I can't remember if it mentioned the pool, I'll have to dig the letter out. It came about 2 weeks ago.

We check in at Poly on Jan. 25th (after four nights at AKL Jambo Villas), but haven't gotten any letters. From what I've read on Tikiman's Facebook page, the Volcano Pool will be open all month. The Never Land Club is open until Jan. 28 (that's official); and, yes, the monorail will be closed weekdays between 11:30 and 7 (also official, per Disney press release).

I couldn't tell from my reading if any new construction/refub will be going on THIS particular month in the Great Ceremonial House, but I think -- ? -- the speculation is that the closed Wyland Galleries might be used as a temporary reception area while the current reception is refurbed. And/or, the Wyland Galleries space -- already closed -- might become DVC check-in area.

I am definitely not a reliable source, myself: We've never even been to Disney before! This is all just what I've read via Tikiman, plus Disboards.

We check in at Poly on Jan. 25th (after four nights at AKL Jambo Villas), but haven't gotten any letters. From what I've read on Tikiman's Facebook page, the Volcano Pool will be open all month. The Never Land Club is open until Jan. 28 (that's official); and, yes, the monorail will be closed weekdays between 11:30 and 7 (also official, per Disney press release). I couldn't tell from my reading if any new construction/refub will be going on THIS particular month in the Grand Ceremonial House, but I think -- ? -- the speculation is that the closed Wyland Galleries might be used as a temporary reception area while the current reception is refurbed. And/or, the Wyland Galleries space -- already closed -- might become DVC check-in area. I am definitely not a reliable source, myself: We've never even been to Disney before! This is all just what I've read via Tikiman, plus Disboards.

You picked the right resorts! We stayed AKL Kidani last year and loved it! Poly is our favorite construction and all even with monorail being down since it's a short walk to TTC.
Have a great trip!

We check in in 17 days in Hawaii and received a letter regarding construction and the monorail service being down. It stated something about the beach view and the monorail being down but I had read about that here so I wasn't surprised. I can't remember if it mentioned the pool, I'll have to dig the letter out. It came about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the help ( and to all who gave info.)
What does beach view being down mean?
Was really looking forward to sitting on beach and watching fireworks.
Trying to stay positive :thumbsup2. But DH is becoming annoyed :worried:

We just got back Sunday. I had requested Tokelau, quiet pool side, near parking. We got exactly that; a second floor room, overlooking the quiet pool, at the very end of the building nearest to parking.

We heard absolutely nothing as far as construction was concerned, and I was in the room a couple of mornings until noon, and one day in the middle of the afternoon.

Of course depending what they are working on it might make a difference, but we were just fine. :goodvibes

I have been trying to keep up with the construction. Yet the amount of rumors are daunting..

we will be going in Sept 7-14 to be exact... what should i expect? is the GCH going to be in ruins as i am led to believe by the rumors? Will the pool be demolished?

I love the Poly.. it is my home resort i cannot wait to go back!!! I just wish i had some concrete information to say no the resort will be in livable loveable means!!! or it will be a construction nightmare.

Knowing Disney they can't have a resort in such ruins with people still staying there?!?!

can someone help my poor little head? I am following the poly construction thread as well.. which is why my head hurts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter