ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a picture of the in-room safes or know the dimensions (or better yet, both?) I'm trying to decide if I'm going to bring my DSLR camera, but I won't if there's no way it will go in the safe. I want to bring it for character meal dinners and maybe our morning at MK when we do BBB and CRT, but I don't want to carry it around the parks for 7 days.

Thanks!

Mine fit it in along with my video camera (hand sized), iPad, 5 chargers and a power strip well my Dh said it is a bus strip, whatever! Plus our wad of cash, my credit cards and spare change. There was still room for more stuff.

thanks everyone for the responses about contacting guest relations, lost and found and also the laundry. I really appreciate your taking my silly little problem seriously! I am going to make calls tomorrow and see what can be found!

So I have been kicking around the idea of becoming DVC member but I am thinking of waiting to see what comes along at the Poly. Has anyone inquired about this yet? When do they start selling the site? is it after construction is complete or some time before that? I feel a little nervous as I really know nothing about DVC. Wish I had time for a tour during my last stay but I was too busy having fun!

So I have been kicking around the idea of becoming DVC member but I am thinking of waiting to see what comes along at the Poly. Has anyone inquired about this yet? When do they start selling the site? is it after construction is complete or some time before that? I feel a little nervous as I really know nothing about DVC. Wish I had time for a tour during my last stay but I was too busy having fun!

We went to a DVC meeting while we were there a couple of weeks ago and they are not offering the Poly yet. I think as it gets closer to completion they will begin to offer it. We found that DVC was not for us. The cost for the amount of points we would need to vacation the way we do was astronomical plus even when that is paid up you still have dues of 1500 a year. He kept saying that it was only a little over 700 per visit. I said I am buying into DVC so that I don't have to pay per visit. He didn't get it. LOL

thanks everyone for the responses about contacting guest relations, lost and found and also the laundry. I really appreciate your taking my silly little problem seriously! I am going to make calls tomorrow and see what can be found!

Not silly at all. These things are important to our kids and if a phone call can reunite them then it is wonderful. My son lost a hat. He is 19. I can't tell you how happy he was that they found it. Never be afraid to ask a question etc.... The only silly question is the one not asked.

I was surprised too. I could actually hear her looking for it also. They are so sweet there.

My DH is the same as yours. He is as big a Disney fanatic as I am. He would rather go to Disney than anywhere. It really is our happy place where we can go and forget about the rest of the world. I had to laugh on the last trip people kept asking me if I was swallowed by the sinkhole. After the third different person asked me I said to dh "Why the heck is everyone saying something about a sinkhole? What is up with that?" He said that apparently a sinkhole opened up at a resort close to Disney and ate a whole building. Shows you I don't even watch the news while we are there.

Same here! We took a vacation to Tybee Island, GA which was nice BUT by the time you pay to do different things there, we might as well have been at WDW! :rotfl2: Plus, it was not near as relaxing for us. We drove everywhere while there. At WDW, we sit back and let Disney do the driving!! :thumbsup2
I agree about blocking the "outside" world out while you're there. I'm the same way. I cringe when my DH turns the news on in the morning while we are there. This year I decided I would stay off FB this time, we'll see how long that lasts. :rotfl:

We are headed to Disney in 3 weeks before my DH deploys. We are booked at PO Riverside with free dining. I really want to switch to a monorail resort--and my kids want to stay at the Polynesian for something different since we have usually stayed at CR.

Is it wrong that my biggest problem with the upgrade is that I hate the thought of making the call and being on the phone with the CM forever??? LOL :lmao:

So have you switched yet??? :hourglass I say go for it!!!! :thumbsup2:

karriealex said:
Well our next stay at the Poly will be a much quieter one. My DH snores like a freight train. I just bit the bullet a few minutes ago and bought him one of those Pure Sleep things for snoring. I really hope it works. The kids even said to me on this last trip that they could see why I sleep on the couch a lot. DH was keeping them up too. Now I will hopefully have peace and quiet at home and we will all have a much more peaceful vacation.

Keep me posted on the pure sleep please. I too admittedly snore and spend lots of time on the couch. I have those noise things. They worked at Hershey so I'm hoping they will work for a week at wdw.

ROFL Too funny. We have always gotten them on check in. This time we got real ones because it was our anniversary. We got the silk ones too.

We're only eating at the Poly this time --Kona Cafe -- but I am packing our own leis to make the breakfast & our pool day Hawaiian & island-like. :) Now I'll definitely add a touch of scent to it too!

Does anyone have a picture of the in-room safes or know the dimensions (or better yet, both?) I'm trying to decide if I'm going to bring my DSLR camera, but I won't if there's no way it will go in the safe. I want to bring it for character meal dinners and maybe our morning at MK when we do BBB and CRT, but I don't want to carry it around the parks for 7 days.

Thanks!

At the GF my DSLR easily fit in the safe with another lens & jewelry. I felt the safe plenty big at that resort. I imagine they are similar at the Poly.

Keep me posted on the pure sleep please. I too admittedly snore and spend lots of time on the couch. I have those noise things. They worked at Hershey so I'm hoping they will work for a week at wdw.

I sure will. Dh works outside the home so I am usually the one to go to the couch. He has tried just about everything including the nose strips and they didn't work, We are hoping this does. He even had a sleep study and when we asked the next morning what they found they said "He snores". I was like "REALLY you don't say what do you think we did the sleep study for?" Also when you buy the pure sleep you get 2 of them. I am going to fit the second one to me because if I am extremely tired I will snore sometimes.

At the GF my DSLR easily fit in the safe with another lens & jewelry. I felt the safe plenty big at that resort. I imagine they are similar at the Poly.

The safe was large enough for three laptops to fit in plus a lot more. They are great now because you program in a personal code now instead of a key. It worked really well for us.

My son just affirmed that your camera will fit in the safe no problem with plenty of room to spare. My youngest son was the main one dealing with the safe and the computers etc...

hello! We just returned from another incredible trip to our beloved Poly! While most of the trip was blissful, we had one mishap! My daughter brought a beloved stuffed animal (bright pink leopard :))on the trip. We are very strict about her leaving it in the room so that it doesn't get lost. In fact, she never takes toys out to stores or parks. Anyway, one night the animal was nowhere to be found...searched the room top to bottom. The only logical explanation that we could think of is that it got caught up in the sheets and went away with the laundry. Front desk seemed to think this was what happened as well. They contacted lost and found but so far...nothing :(
I would like to contact someone at guest services to make them aware of what happened. Does anyone know of an email address I could send it to?

Glad you had another great Poly trip :thumbsup2. I hope your DD's stuffed animal is found.

While Poly is our favorite GF comes in second for me, I love the Victorian feel of the resort & rooms!! The smell in the lobby & the music that plays live in the afternoon is wonderful

I agree.....the GF is a beautiful resort and I love it too :goodvibes.

Honestly, Disney does a great job at keeping down the disruptions when it comes to construction and renovation projects. Trust me, they will not risk having unhappy customers.

I agree :thumbsup2.

Made the move today. :cool1: just changed our BC reservation to the Poly - 8/31-9/7. DH asked last night if it was even possible. Thought there would be no rooms left. The kids were kinda bummed. They wanted SAB but I think they will enjoy the volcano slide and how can you go wrong with the Poly? Now to change my mindset from being walking distance to Epcot to being back at the Poly with all it has to offer. Done.pixiedust:

Congrats on the change. We've stayed at the BC and while we did like the resort, the Poly is our fav (and we are in the minority that we like the volcano pool over SAB ;)). You are going to love the Poly ::yes::.

Here at the Poly now! Samoa 1st floor facing the volcano pool...PERFECT location!!! They were checking IDs and giving wristbands out today at the pool...happy to see this being done!

We stayed in Samoa and loved it!! Hope you're having a great time :wizard:.

Today has been kind of a stressful day and I keep finding myself wandering around the Poly in my mind, remembering all the sights and sounds. I had forgotten how calming that is for me. I wonder if Disney realizes how much the Poly means to all of us and the effect it has on all of us.

I never hear anyone speak about the Contemporary Resort. Is it that bad as an alternative? GF reminds me so much of an old lady's house... Can't see us staying there. Poly construction updates are starting to make me think about changing to a different resort for our January trip.

I never hear anyone speak about the Contemporary Resort. Is it that bad as an alternative? GF reminds me so much of an old lady's house... Can't see us staying there. Poly construction updates are starting to make me think about changing to a different resort for our January trip.

I'd much rather stay at the CR than the GF. It seems the CR doesn't get much love because it isn't "themed" in the same way other Disney resorts are. As a child in the 70's though, staying in that hotel with the monorail going through it was the coolest thing I'd ever done. I guess most people don't see it the same way, but to me the Contemporary IS Disney.

It also has other great features, like being walking distance from the MK. I originally booked there for our upcoming trip but my family wants to stay at the Poly, which is perfectly fine with me as well (I can make that sacrifice ;-) )

We have stayed at CR before. To us it is much more stark and convention like. However if I could not get the Poly I would stay at CR over GF. GF is beautiful but a little too frou frou for us with boys and it never really appeal to me enough to pay the extra money to stay there. There is the walkway from CR to MK also

The pins I ordered came in and they are exactly as described. We found at least one complete set.

There are tons of very neat and unusual pins. This was well worth the money. Now the kids can trade to their hearts content and I am not buying pins every 2 seconds st 8.99 or higher a pop.

Stayed CR and loved the location the rooms were Big and I Loved the way they were decorated and furnished but hated how the rest of airport felt like an airport!

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979

I'd much rather stay at the CR than the GF. It seems the CR doesn't get much love because it isn't "themed" in the same way other Disney resorts are. As a child in the 70's though, staying in that hotel with the monorail going through it was the coolest thing I'd ever done. I guess most people don't see it the same way, but to me the Contemporary IS Disney.

It also has other great features, like being walking distance from the MK. I originally booked there for our upcoming trip but my family wants to stay at the Poly, which is perfectly fine with me as well (I can make that sacrifice ;-) )

I am a child of the 70s too. I was born days after WDW! I totally get you on the monorail. I always wanted to stay in the main building just because of that. We never did though.

If the Poly was unavailable I would choose the CR over the GF too. I stayed at the GF and it isn't me. I feel like I h ave to be prim and proper and dressed to the nines, although the Poly was looking like a bunch of one uppers last week, I still felt comfy wearing a tank and comfy shorts-more like running style, not dressy.

On a side note, when I got off the Epcot monorail one day this goes to show you how little people research or for that matter look at the map they give you at check in. Granted I don't look at it for more then a split second, the map that is but I know where things are. Anyways this lady was kevertching to me since I was next to her as we were walking down the Epcot monorail exit to the bag check area. She started saying how she has to ride the complete loop to get to the TTC. I said so you are staying at the GF and she said no and tat she was staying at the Poly. I told her that there ws a walkway to the TTC and she didn't realize it. Lady it was on your map. She went screaming ahead to tell her dh.

Don't get me started about the lady in the pool who asked me what there was to do at DHS. Research lady, I don't know what you family likes.

Have a lovely day poly peeps. The sun is shining her in CT and it feels like early fall.

Nothing beats the MK view from the upper floors of the Contemporary imo! Also it's great on bad weather days because (assuming you are staying in the Tower), everything is in the same building.

But I love all the deluxe and moderate WDW resorts for different reasons. (Can't say I exactly love the Value resorts, but I'd stay at any one of them in a heartbeat if that was all I could budget)

Excited though to get back to the Poly in just a few days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter