ALOHA! The Polynesian Resort Information Thread: January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back a few days ago from our first ever Poly vacation! What a great resort. The grounds are just breathtaking, as is the location.

I am already planning my next trip. I am sad to be home.

That's what I am afraid of. The bummer of coming home and back to reality.

Those pictures look like PARADISE !!!!!
I hate to annoy you with questions, BUT....one more please !!! Is the fan up top of the cabana operational?? Our youngest is in a wheelchair and heats up pretty easily. She is in an open-eyed coma so she looks just like a toddler sitting upright in the wheelchair, but tends to need the fan if the humidity is extremely high. This is why we booked 2 full day cabana rentals and 2 half days. When my husband stays back to watch her, I'll be off to MK or Epcot with our other 2 children and vice versa. I'll rest more easily if I know she has shaded comfort when I'm not the one back watching her. Thanks again for ALL the info!!
I see on your ticker....a solo trip....is that you or your husband going?? Glad you have a family one on the horizon also!

I know you got your answer already (yup, the fans work!) but just wanted to add that with the ability to open and close whichever sides of the cabana you want, you can control a bit of the wind and how much you want (IF it is breezy while you are there). If your youngest can be taken out of the wheelchair and put on one of the couches or lounges, that might help with keeping her cool. You can move the furniture under the shade or out in the sun and the attendant can help with that too. My father was in a coma for 5 years so I can understand a bit :hug:

That solo trip is for me :thumbsup2 I'm actually going for a conference for 3 of the days but then the 3 other days I will be touring around WDW. My kids are bummed that it is over Mother's Day and while I'm a *little* sad about it, I tell them they are giving me a huge gift by letting me go to WDW! Work is paying for the majority of the trip and I'll use my AP so I'm pretty excited. I'm going to stay at CBR for this trip.

Seriously!!! Checked the extended forecast for next week and its calling for rain. I have lived in FL before and know that the weather changes quickly and it will more than likely rain at least once, but this shows 60% Thunderstorms with Dark Green shading...

Booo!

Consider this my "rain, rain, go away..." dance:
:dance3::dance3::dance3:

Don't look at the weather forecast until you get REALLY close!!! And even then, rain could just mean for an hour or less or maybe just part of the day. And plan for the 'worst' (rain) so if you do get sun, you will be that much happier!

I'm considering throwing in an extra cabana day. We loved it so much last year. I can't imagine sitting by the pool all day without one! Night time isn't a big deal because there's no sun to hide from but during the day there's nothing better than having your own little area to retreat to complete with drinks and fruit!

Do it!

Am I allowed to ask a non-Poly question here? The rest of the DIS overwhelm me!

What are your thoughts on EMH? Two friends at work swear by them, but I'm reading online to avoid the parks with EMH since they're so busy. Does it make a difference if we have hoppers?

Anywhere online to see what days we should do/avoid which parks?

Thanks! 2 1/2 days!!!

I don't like to stress in the mornings about getting to a park so we don't do morning EMH and we avoid those parks on those mornings. We will occasionally use the evening EMH but we go understanding that the lines for the rides in the first 1.5 hours will be LONG! So we will go and use that time to go on the shorter line rides or to just stroll the park. If we are going to a park to get on the popular rides, we always do those first thing in the morning or with a fastpass.

That's what I am afraid of. The bummer of coming home and back to reality.

I want to try to post a pic of our view from our room in Tokelau. You could not ask for a better location IMO. And it was my first pick that they gladly granted. I will try to post the pic.

Thanks for the fan info!!
Hope you're going back to the Poly soon!?!

You're welcome Janny! Yes, we are heading back to the Poly the last week of October. I don't know if I consider that "soon", but it's the Poly, and it's less than six months away, so I'll take it! :thumbsup2

Thanks AGAIN!!!:worship:

Have a GREAT trip and enjoy your Mom's Day!!!!!
The kids are just a phonecall away and I bet they'll be
happy to celebrate when you return home a "little" rested and relaxed even though its a "working" vacation!! Have fun!!
We leave on Mother's Day by Amtrak.....little one wasn't cleared to fly.
Neurologist said to please go by train & we will love it ...we shall see!! My husband and I are a little anxious(to say the least), but we NEED a vacation!!! You must know what that is like having had your Dad in a coma also. :worried:
I hope you get to celebrate Mother's Day this weekend!!!! Enjoy!!

October will be here before you know it!!! That must be a BEAUTIFUL time to be at Disney!!! Happy, HAPPY planning!!! Do you have free dining?? Kind of wish we did that....

Laundry is almost done...
The weekend is almost here...
Have everything set for DD's bday party on Sunday...

And this time next week, we will be watching Fireworks from the beach at the Poly!!!!!!

I think our rain dancing is working too!!!

Life is good!

October will be here before you know it!!! That must be a BEAUTIFUL time to be at Disney!!! Happy, HAPPY planning!!! Do you have free dining?? Kind of wish we did that....

Nofree dining, but we got a great code - 30% off the room rate (which works out as a better deal than FD). Yes, we love WDW in October. The weather is beautiful and MK is all decorated for fall/Halloween.

And this time next week, we will be watching Fireworks from the beach at the Poly!!!!!!

Life is good!

and im still dancin!!!
:dance3::dance3::dance3::banana::dance3::dance3::dance3:

Life is good!

and im still dancin!!!
:dance3::dance3::dance3::banana::dance3::dance3::dance3:

I'm excited for the both of you! I hope you take lots of pictures and share here!!!!! I need something to tide me over!!!!

Hi, this is my first time posting but I've been following this thread for a few weeks. I am planning a trip with my DH and 4-year-old DD in January 2013 and have decided on the Poly, thanks to the great reviews I've read here. I've been to WDW several times (I was there this week) but never stayed at the Poly. We stayed at the Contemporary in 1975 and I still remember taking the monorail over to the Poly to shop and eat and thinking how relaxing it was there.:cloud9: I can't wait for our trip next year.

As I said, I was at WDW earlier this week for a conference. We stayed at the Yacht Club and while that hotel was very nice, it was just too big for my liking. The walk back to our rooms at the end of a long day was tiring and not as pleasant as I imagine the Poly walk would be. Also, I would not recommend staying at a conference hotel if I were going with my family. We crowded the lobby at times :crowded:and there were many of us (not me!) who came back to the hotel well after midnight with a little too much to drink. :drinking1

We went to AK on Monday and decided to take a quick visit to MK. We took the bus to the TTC with plans to take the monorail. As noted here, the monorail was down for service so we took the ferry. I loved the ferry, especially because it was the perfect way for me to get some photos of the Poly and examine it from afar. We didn't get the chance to walk around the Poly but seeing it from the water and realizing how close it is to everything solidified my choice to stay there next time. Also, even though it was a warm day there was not a single person on the beach by Tahiti and the Volcano pool and main beach looked quiet too. It looked so peaceful and relaxing - very different from the Yacht Club.

Hi, this is my first time posting but I've been following this thread for a few weeks. I am planning a trip with my DH and 4-year-old DD in January 2013 and have decided on the Poly, thanks to the great reviews I've read here. I've been to WDW several times (I was there this week) but never stayed at the Poly. We stayed at the Contemporary in 1975 and I still remember taking the monorail over to the Poly to shop and eat and thinking how relaxing it was there.:cloud9: I can't wait for our trip next year.

As I said, I was at WDW earlier this week for a conference. We stayed at the Yacht Club and while that hotel was very nice, it was just too big for my liking. The walk back to our rooms at the end of a long day was tiring and not as pleasant as I imagine the Poly walk would be. Also, I would not recommend staying at a conference hotel if I were going with my family. We crowded the lobby at times :crowded:and there were many of us (not me!) who came back to the hotel well after midnight with a little too much to drink. :drinking1

We went to AK on Monday and decided to take a quick visit to MK. We took the bus to the TTC with plans to take the monorail. As noted here, the monorail was down for service so we took the ferry. I loved the ferry, especially because it was the perfect way for me to get some photos of the Poly and examine it from afar. We didn't get the chance to walk around the Poly but seeing it from the water and realizing how close it is to everything solidified my choice to stay there next time. Also, even though it was a warm day there was not a single person on the beach by Tahiti and the Volcano pool and main beach looked quiet too. It looked so peaceful and relaxing - very different from the Yacht Club.

We just got back from a week long stay at the Poly and my whole family agreed that staying there was one of the nicest things about the whole vacation. As you said it's so peaceful and relaxing to come back from the hustle and bustle of the parks. The staff are all so friendly and my wife and mother thought the shopping was better there than they had seen elsewhere. All in all we're totally spoilt now and although I don't know when we'll be back to WDW I now can't imagine staying anywhere but the Poly!

Welcome Britnole! Prepare to become an addict! People either hate the Poly or love it. If you fall into the latter category you will never want to stay any where else on site again! ;)

Hello Everyone! I'm new to this particular thread. We've always stayed at a value resort or Shades of Green (when with my parents), but are looking to stay at the Poly October 2013 - it's never too early to plan you know! :thumbsup2 I have a question for you Ploy Gods and Goddesses......which longhouse would be the best: Rarotonga or Tokelau? We'd like to be semi close to the GCH, but DH is concerned about views. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!

-Heather

Hello Everyone! I'm new to this particular thread. We've always stayed at a value resort or Shades of Green (when with my parents), but are looking to stay at the Poly October 2013 - it's never too early to plan you know! :thumbsup2 I have a question for you Ploy Gods and Goddesses......which longhouse would be the best: Rarotonga or Tokelau? We'd like to be semi close to the GCH, but DH is concerned about views. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!!

-Heather

Of the two, I like Tokelau. We also like Samoa. The Poly is beautiful and everyone has their favorite longhouse.

I have another question for all your Poly Goddesses.....I just checked out Tiki Man's website and back in October 2011 he posted that there are major changes supposedly coming to the Poly in 2013 - with the most rumored to be DVC. Have any of you heard anything about this? We're looking to book here in October of 2013, but I really don't want to go here if there's going to be major construction happening.

Everyday of May, it has rained where we are!!!! How about some gorgeous Poly pics to warm me up!!!! :goodvibes

71 days until my 1st Poly stay!!! I cannot wait until our 10 glorious nights!!! :yay:

Thanks!!

-Heather

The "best" longhouse is very subjective. Everyone has different ideas of a great view. For our family, the ONLY room that would be a downer is a room where we overlooked a parking lot. So I would not want the parking lot side of Rapa Nui. We have stayed in both Tokelau and Aotearoa and loved them both for different reasons :goodvibes Tikiman's site definitely gives great descriptions of each longhouse's attributes.

I have another question for all your Poly Goddesses.....I just checked out Tiki Man's website and back in October 2011 he posted that there are major changes supposedly coming to the Poly in 2013 - with the most rumored to be DVC. Have any of you heard anything about this? We're looking to book here in October of 2013, but I really don't want to go here if there's going to be major construction happening.

This is a frequent topic on this thread. If you go back about 10 pages or so you will see a discussion. It is all just "guessture" at this point and nothing more. There are many rumors but nothing concrete. The best guess is that WHATEVER might happen, will not start until the GFV construction is complete. R/E Oct 2013 planning, just make sure you have a 2nd and 3rd choice resort researched so that you can make a quick decision should anything become concrete. Being a member of this community already gives you a leg up on all those unknowing/unsuspecting tourists :thumbsup2

Nofree dining, but we got a great code - 30% off the room rate (which works out as a better deal than FD). Yes, we love WDW in October. The weather is beautiful and MK is all decorated for fall/Halloween.

:thumbsup2 I agree - I love WDW in October - still warm but not horribly hot and I LOVE LOVE LOVE MNSSHP!!!

Thanks!!

-Heather

I am biased and I always stay in Tokelau - central location, not a bad 'garden view', one sink in the bathroom (I'm one of the folks that don't want 2 sinks to crowd up my counter space), a tad bit larger rooms, and all rooms have a patio or balcony.

Hello All! Getting ready for our first ever Poly stay :banana::banana: We check in in 33 days......but who's counting :lmao: We will be there right around Father's Day. I was concidering renting a cabana as a suprise for my husband (Tinkerbellie16 thanks for the amazing photo's and cabana scoop :worship:). Does anyone know the cancellation policy for the cabana's?? I know there is a lot of rain in June, just wondering what happens if it rains :confused3 Thanks so much for your help and thanks so much for all of the awesome information on this thread! It has definitely made the planning process soooo much easier :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter