• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

I just have to thank you guys and tell you how much this thread has brightened my rotten night. I have been :sick::sick::sick: in bed all week, and am feeling so sorry for myself. Tonight I woke up around 4 am and I will spare you the details but let's just say that on top of how sick I already was to begin with, this thing apparently went to my stomach. :scared1: since I certainly could not just drift right off to sleep after that, I decided to hop on my iPad for a bit. Sincerely, I have to say, as rock-bottom miserable as I was an hour ago after cleaning up the horror scene in my bathroom, after catching up on the last ten or so pages on this thread, I have had a smile on my face multiple times and am distinctly cheered up. Just reading everyone else's thoughts and experiences on a place I love so much seriously warms my heart, and it has been a lovely escape from reality. You guys rock. :hippie:

And for some reason the pic of that golden retriever on the snow bank cracked me up so much I looked at it like 4 times. He looks like he's just lounging around up there, like he might on a grassy hill in springtime, lol!

Im home sick as well.. Just drank some theraflu hoping to feel better and get some sleep..I cant breathe, cant swallow, cant sleep, muscles ache..YUCK :sick:

Day dreaming about the Poly...

HS just gets some of the overflow because it is a teen friendly park.. MK closes at 7 because they empty it out and then bring in the grads. From 10p to 4a crazy!! They only let grads in and they literally own MK for the night. You are absolutely right. Morning is going to be much better for uhmm.. Non maniacal fun.

Thanks! it helps. :goodvibes

Oh, and by the way, I'm finally down below 3 months. After 5 years of prep time, it sure looks surreal for me... and DD!

Hugs and well wishes for all of the sickies on this thread!:) I too had the sore throat/cough/cold that turned into the stomach flu:sick: On my birthday no less.:headache: It sure helps to daydream of the Poly when laying sick in bed!

I hope everyone feels better soon.:)

Hugs and well wishes for all of the sickies on this thread!:) I too had the sore throat/cough/cold that turned into the stomach flu:sick: On my birthday no less.:headache: It sure helps to daydream of the Poly when laying sick in bed!

I hope everyone feels better soon.:)

Think about the fact that you were sick three weeks before your Poly trip! It like getting your inoculation. Now hopefully, you all done!! :thumbsup2

Its very sad that all of you guys are or have been sick! Get well!

Think about the fact that you were sick three weeks before your Poly trip! It like getting your inoculation. Now hopefully, you all done!! :thumbsup2

Its very sad that all of you guys are or have been sick! Get well!

Good Perspective!:goodvibes Now that's it over with I don't have to worry as much about catching something just before we leave:thumbsup2

Let me add to this discussion. Just returned from 7 nights at the Poly, Tokelau 1927. The room was good, but lots of nicks on the furniture. The bathroom was clean, except the showerhead was filthy. Mentioned it to mouskeeper but to no avail. Grounds were great, clean and well maintained. My biggest problem was with Capt'n Cook's. I must say the food was pretty horrible. Fish was dry, even after requesting a replacement. Breakfast platter was very greasy, and the bacon was gross(but it was everywhere!). The kids chicken meal was horrible, I have had better at a Wendy's! We tried it three times for a qs meal and each time the food was the same. The stuff that passes for coffee there, well lets just say I would not even give it to death row inmate! The Kona coffee bar was great, the best coffee on the property! Check in was efficant, as was bell services. Concierge was hit or miss, one was a very eldery lady who seemed to have very little training on their new system, as she charged my card three times for a add a day to my hopper passes. The pools were nice, the slide is still fun even for a 42 year old! The poolside activites were nice, as was the pool bar. The Kona Pale Ale and Lager are great! No transportation issues other than the chaos of using the bus, they need a better system at the deluxes than the free for all it is.
Overall a good stay but they need to address some issues with Capt'n Cook's.

And for some reason the pic of that golden retriever on the snow bank cracked me up so much I looked at it like 4 times. He looks like he's just lounging around up there, like he might on a grassy hill in springtime, lol!

I'm glad the picture of Finn brought a smile to your face (and he does love laying in the snow, and plowing his face through it - we never knew golden retrievers were such snow dogs!) I hope you're feeling better soon!

Just back from the Poly! We ended up staying an extra day in Orlando due to weather issues back home, and since I'd already paid for that extra park-hopper day back when we booked, we got a "bonus" day at Magic Kingdom. The crowds were unbelievably low. We walked on Small World, Buzz Lightyear, and several other rides with no waiting at all -- mid-day! Standby at Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder were all 10 minutes or less, with FP return times within the hour. Crazy! Wonderful!

The Poly was its usual lovely self. No towel animals this time. :sad2: Mousekeeping seemed to be running a little slow overall, with not as much pep in its step as we saw when we were there over the crazy busy New Year's holiday two years ago. We got new soap each day, but no new lotion. :confused3

My DD9 loved the asian noodle thing at Captain Cook's. I tried Dole Whip for the first time -- I'll leave that for all of y'all who really love it. ;) I got Tonga Toast for breakfast on our departure day, having read so much about it, and I thought it was totally worth the hype -- YUM. My favorite dinner dish was the pan-asian noodle dish at Kona Cafe -- they made it with sauce on the side for me, and everything was fresh and delicious. DH wasn't as keen on his "sustainable fish" -- he said it was very bland.

The poolside activities at the volcano pool were a lot of fun.

We stayed in the park for Wishes one night, and even with a three-boat wait, we were back in our room by around 9 PM -- pretty good, we thought.

One thing I won't do again is dinner at the Whispering Canyon Cafe. It seemed to take forever to get there -- it took an hour from leaving our room at the Poly to checking in at the WCC. We walked to the TTC and took the ferry across to MK, stepped to the next dock and waited for the WL launch. Easy, right? Only we missed the first ferry by seconds, and the launch waited until it was full to leave. The food at WCC was... plentiful... I guess is the kindest thing to say. ;)

I love being at the Poly. I just wish it were easier to get to! And pay for! ;)

Let me add to this discussion. Just returned from 7 nights at the Poly, Tokelau 1927. The room was good, but lots of nicks on the furniture. The bathroom was clean, except the showerhead was filthy. Mentioned it to mouskeeper but to no avail. Grounds were great, clean and well maintained. My biggest problem was with Capt'n Cook's. I must say the food was pretty horrible. Fish was dry, even after requesting a replacement. Breakfast platter was very greasy, and the bacon was gross(but it was everywhere!). The kids chicken meal was horrible, I have had better at a Wendy's! We tried it three times for a qs meal and each time the food was the same. The stuff that passes for coffee there, well lets just say I would not even give it to death row inmate! The Kona coffee bar was great, the best coffee on the property! Check in was efficant, as was bell services. Concierge was hit or miss, one was a very eldery lady who seemed to have very little training on their new system, as she charged my card three times for a add a day to my hopper passes. The pools were nice, the slide is still fun even for a 42 year old! The poolside activites were nice, as was the pool bar. The Kona Pale Ale and Lager are great! No transportation issues other than the chaos of using the bus, they need a better system at the deluxes than the free for all it is.
Overall a good stay but they need to address some issues with Capt'n Cook's.

That's too bad you had a less than stellar experience with CCs. We have always had great food from there. Don't know if they are training new cooks or maybe changed suppliers. Hhmmm... I drool just thinking about Tonga Toast, the pork sammie, the noodle bowl, and DDs and DH love their burgers and chicken tenders. I totally agree about the bacon. Every piece of bacon I have ever had at WDW has been limp and chewy. Ugh...I like thin and crispy.

One thing I won't do again is dinner at the Whispering Canyon Cafe. It seemed to take forever to get there -- it took an hour from leaving our room at the Poly to checking in at the WCC. We walked to the TTC and took the ferry across to MK, stepped to the next dock and waited for the WL launch. Easy, right? Only we missed the first ferry by seconds, and the launch waited until it was full to leave. The food at WCC was... plentiful... I guess is the kindest thing to say. ;)

I love being at the Poly. I just wish it were easier to get to! And pay for! ;)

Glad to hear you had a wonderful stay at Poly. Isn't the Tonga Toast yummers:love: We had a similar experience with transportation to WCC and the food. It took us an hour because of some issues with a bridal party on another boat clogging up our boat dock and by the time we were able to dock, we had just missed the WL boat and had to wait. THe food at WCC was pretty icky. We should have never ordered the skillet cuz everything tasted like smoke and after a few bites...just couldn't keep eating the same taste over and over. Kids loved the atmosphere and antics. If we ever return, we will just order steaks or something cooked to order.

Thanks! it helps. :goodvibes

Oh, and by the way, I'm finally down below 3 months. After 5 years of prep time, it sure looks surreal for me... and DD!

Your welcome!! Your first trip!! And it's going to be a doozy! Cruise on the brand new Dream.. Then a stay in the BEST resort in all of Disney!:goodvibes let us all know how the cruise and poly stay was when you get back. I know the cruise part will be :offtopic: but I don't think too many people will mind. :yay:

Breezysmom I should have taken a photo when I saw her on the beach. But it is soo surreal to see a lizard that big with all them teeth. Taking a pic of them running it off in the lake would have turned into another nessie story. ( a lump in front of a boat, kind of fuzzy)
Quoting a great movie.. "Momma said They are angry cause they got all them teeth, and noo toothbrush":rotfl2:

Breezysmom I should have taken a photo when I saw her on the beach. But it is soo surreal to see a lizard that big with all them teeth. Taking a pic of them running it off in the lake would have turned into another nessie story. ( a lump in front of a boat, kind of fuzzy)
Quoting a great movie.. "Momma said They are angry cause they got all them teeth, and noo toothbrush":rotfl2:

...that movie would be the Waterboy :thumbsup2

I told DD of your early morning sighting and now she wants to join my early morning walks. I told her that those walks are Mommy alone time but I may let her join me one morning ;)...mainly for protection :lmao:

...that movie would be the Waterboy :thumbsup2

I told DD of your early morning sighting and now she wants to join my early morning walks. I told her that those walks are Mommy alone time but I may let her join me one morning ;)...mainly for protection :lmao:

there is nothing like being up at 5am walking along the beach with a nice cup of coffee waiting for the sun rise. the flocks of birds flying over, the wind blowing slightly across the lake.. hearing the slight yells across the lake from the on coming cast members at MK.

wait what am I doing (thats my secret Poly time..) its terrible waking up early. guys dont even think about getting up early and sitting on the beach. its terrible. :rotfl2:

If you guys are ever there at the same time we are, you may see my gpa walking around that early. He gets up at 4:30 EVERY DAY we're EVER on vacation ANYWHERE!! :laughing: He heads to the gym and walks around the resort. I always say I'll join him one day, but I'm always so exhausted! I'll have to tell him to be on the lookout for Alli.

For some reason I keep toying with the idea of upgrading to CL. I really don't believe I would make much use of the lounge, especially traveling alone with the kids but I just can't shake the idea. It's probably driven by my extreme propensity to spend unnecessary money. :laughing:

For some reason I keep toying with the idea of upgrading to CL. I really don't believe I would make much use of the lounge, especially traveling alone with the kids but I just can't shake the idea. It's probably driven by my extreme propensity to spend unnecessary money. :laughing:

If money's not an issue, it's super nice to run up there and grab a snack or drink, and it's a lovely place to watch the fireworks!! Also, we'll be CL at the same time you're there. Not that that should sway you or anything. :rotfl:

If money's not an issue, it's super nice to run up there and grab a snack or drink, and it's a lovely place to watch the fireworks!! Also, we'll be CL at the same time you're there. Not that that should sway you or anything. :rotfl:

You should be talking me out of it! You don't want to share Hawaii with DS :rotfl:

I will be at Poly next month after the March 3-6 Disney Dream Cruise. We just couldn't imagine being so close to Disneyworld and not stopping by. Since we have to drive about 16 hours to get to Port Canaveral from Texas, we decided to squeeze in a few days because we don't plan to visit again until next year when I do one of the half-marathons. (The marathon is actually my way of getting DH back to Disneyworld sooner rather than later...I'm hopelessly hooked!) :woohoo:

This will be my third time to Disney. Each of the previous times we went to the Poly for Spirit of Aloha (my DH's favorite for the food--not the show). :rotfl: We also like Ohanas. I figured we would try an actual stay at the resort this time.

We got a great deal on upgrading to CL and decided to go for it. This will be our first time in CL. We will do it for one night only because we decided to cave to the kids and spend one night at the All Star Movies and one night at All Star Sports. They want to "see what it's like." The things we do for those little people...:confused3

I hope that I don't tire of the Poly after this trip. Already I am thinking this might be the last Spirit of Aloha dinner show for me. I have never had the Dole Whip, so I'm looking forward to trying that. We have never watched the fireworks from the beach, although we have watched it during dinner at Ohanas. We have never done the Poly pool. And I am hoping to schedule a photo session at the Poly. I'm hoping that will keep Poly magical. We aren't worried about transportation because we brought our vehicle the last time we visited and we decided we like it that way. We take WDW transportation, but sparingly. DD4 is the one who likes to ride the bus and the monorail.

Is there anything else at Poly that I can do that will not make me feel like I've "been there, done that" after the third visit?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter