ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

Just returned from our first stay at Poly 10/26-11/2. We all really enjoyed it. Did not request a specific building, decided to be surprised. We ended up in Rapa Nui, third floor facing the parking lot. it was nice to sit on the balcony, although our view was not great. The trees were a little overgrown I suppose to block our view of the parking lot. But, it was nice to be able to walk to the TTC for the Epcot monorail! Rooms were huge and the three kids were fighting over who got to sleep on the daybed! We thought the rooms were clean and well maintained. The walk to the volano pool and main builiding was not very long. The pool was crowded during the day on the two days we spent there, but not overly so. The kids liked the DJ and the games. We got to watch the fireworks from the beah a few nights.....so beautiful. We even walked down to Grand Floridian for the movie on the beach one night...that was fun!

I agree with others that the selection of food at Captain Cook's is limited, although everything we had was always good. We ate dinner at Ohana one night.....excellent!

Everyone at Poly was very nice.....my 5 year old was saying aloha to everyone he saw by the end of the week.

We would definitely stay here again. The only negative thing happened the morning we were leaving. I was in the bathroom preparing to take my shower. I started the shower and then was brushing my teeth thinking about how I did not want to go home....loved the Poly...had been worried about bedbugs....saw none....had been worried about other bugs....saw none....are you getting the message I am kind of a freak about bugs??....well I jinxed myself because I then pull back the shower curtain to get in and dancing around the drain trying to escape the water is a roach....screamed for husband to get rid of it. Going with the glass is half full outlook, I should be glad I did not see him on the first day of our trip. But, if I was to look at it from the half empty perspective, where had he been before this morning. Needless to say, I unpacked and shook everything out in the driveway.

Even with the uninvited guest, we would stay at the Poly again....love the atmosphere!:goodvibes

We (DH, DD age 2, and ME) are heading to the Poly on 12/5 for 5 nights. We were wondering if there are any particular buildings we should request? I was goign to request a 1st floor with full balcony, so that when we are back in the room early for DD's bedtime we can take turns sneaking our via the patio for drinks or dessert or snacks without disturbing our daughter who is sometimes a light sleeper when traveling. Thanks for any input. We are so excited!

Just got all our trip stuff out of the Disney box. Filled out the new luggage tags. Starting to pull out my warmer weather clothes (since I'm pretty sure we're into fall weather here). I need to refill a couple things in our park bag, but I'll start packing next weekend!! Our bags leave in 2.5 weeks!! We leave in a touch over three!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Can I hide in your suitcase? ;)

I just got back from a quick trip to Disneyland and after experiencing the original 'Enchanted Tiki Room', I am itching to get back to the Poly next year. Knock back some Dole whips for me, will ya? :goodvibes

I'm curious about the pool depths. My youngest would love to do the pool slide, but he isn't the best swimmer.

Thanks.

We (DH, DD age 2, and ME) are heading to the Poly on 12/5 for 5 nights. We were wondering if there are any particular buildings we should request? I was goign to request a 1st floor with full balcony, so that when we are back in the room early for DD's bedtime we can take turns sneaking our via the patio for drinks or dessert or snacks without disturbing our daughter who is sometimes a light sleeper when traveling. Thanks for any input. We are so excited!

You may want to consider a longhouse closer to the Great Ceremonial House (GCH) since you hope to have a parent slip out for drinks, dessert, etc. Rarotonga, Niue, Figi, or Samoa would fit that bill. All of the balconies at Polynesian are "full" as are the patios. Many of the longhouses do not have balconies on the second floor. If you request first floor, it will have a patio.

I'm curious about the pool depths. My youngest would love to do the pool slide, but he isn't the best swimmer.

Thanks.

I believe the area under the pool is right around 4', maybe 3' plus. If your youngest isn't a strong swimmer, go to the marina and check out a lifevest for the duration of your stay. All you will need is your room key and there is no charge.

Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh....we leave in 17 days and I cannot contain myself. :cool1:

I knew the people here would understand.

Thanks to everyone for the recent trip reports....and hope all is well with everyone here.

I just have to report that we just booked our 4 night mini again at the Polynesian for September 29th, 2011 before heading to BLT! :)

Today is my last day of work before heading down to the Poly of Friday!!!

Looking forward to a wonderful trip! :banana:

Heading to Orlando tomorrow. Arriving at Poly on Wednesday after SeaWorld and Pop Century. Yay!!!!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Our 2 little ones are light sleepers, but were so exhausted on our recent trip that nothing would wake them up. We were literally dragging our 2 y/o out of the bed after nap time b/c we wanted to head out for the evening. :goodvibes
The rooms are so big that your DD will probably not hear the door open.

I walked around the resort when we were there and decided there were no bad buildings to be in. They all seemed to offer nice views and if they are not close to one amenity, they are close to another. Have fun! The monorail is great for strollers!:thumbsup2

I believe the area under the pool is right around 4', maybe 3' plus. If your youngest isn't a strong swimmer, go to the marina and check out a lifevest for the duration of your stay. All you will need is your room key and there is no charge.

Wish I had known about the life vests for my 2 y/o last week. Bummer!

Looking forward to our first stay at the Poly! Thanks to everyone on the thread for all the helpful information, tips and encouragement.:thumbsup2

Here's to a great vacation in paradise!!!:cool1:

We loved Samoa and requested it again this year, pool side, preferbly 1st floor...why you ask??? I know everyone talks about the views on the upper balconies, but room 1610 is the first room closest to the beach and it was great everytime we needed to use the bathroom while hanging out by the pool, quick and convenient if we needed something for then DD3, plus at night we could here the water pageant music in our room - which was a nice way to dose off (but if your DD is a light sleeper - it may wake her up.) Good luck! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter