ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

Thank you so very much, sandym718: I think I will call today and request first floor... Am I correct in understanding that all rooms on the first floor have a patio?
(Oh, the wonders of a WDW vacation--when you think you've finally got it all figured out at one resort (we love CSR)...it's time to change resorts!)

:)

Yes, they all do. There are differences. Some are more surrounded by vegetation, some have a walkway fairly close (neither of which we prefer). Ours in Tokelau have opened onto a large grassy area. The path is fairly far from the patios and not much used other than by Tahiti guests.

Glad to hear you love CSR! We have no experience there, but my sister and her boyfriend will be staying there when we're all down there next March!

Thankfully our Nov. split stay is getting closer by the minute. We can barely wait! For those of you who have done a split stay (including the Poly) before, do you think it matters what time we arrive to check in at the 2nd resort? We'll be transferring from Pop Century to Poly mid-week, and I'm wondering if we're more likely to get our room requests, early check in, etc. if I show up at a certain time. I hate to miss any time at the parks, but I'm willing to send the rest of my family without me, and head to the Poly alone (and early!) if necessary. Thanks! :flower3:

Arrived home Sat night from the Poly... So Sad.. I actually cried after we finished packing up to go home and was waiting on bell services.

We had the most amazing vacation! I have always loved the Poly but now having stayed there I am absolutely hooked!

It was so relaxing, so romantic, so beautiful! We stayed CL and that just added to the magic!

We were met by front desk at car port and taken over to Hawaii LH, were we checked in and were given our gold KTTK cards, our room wasnt ready yet but we were there at 730 am so I was ok with that.

Had breakfast in the lounge and then headed to EP.

We spent a part of each day at the pool, the CL, and a relaxing in our room watching movies we got from Conceirge desk.

We rented searaycers, last Mon on our anniversary, walked over to GF to shop and check out the resort

Conceirge helped my husband order flowers from disney florist and they are so gorgeous! Ill post pics later. They even helped us buy MNSSHP tickets day before the event.

Room was immaculate, had towel animals each and every day from elephants, mickey ears, dresses, HUGE alligator on the floor, monkeys and more.

They cleaned carpet the evening before we arrived ( in hallways and rooms) they were carrying out furniture to refurbish as well as refurbishing some rooms while we were there.

I cant say enough wonderful things about the Poly!

Our only dissapointment was Capt Cooks, we at lunch here on our anniversary since we were just staying at the resort, boating, swimming and relaxing for the afternoon before dinner at Narcossee. We both got grilled cheese, which was good except for the ice cold borsin cheese on both sandwhiches and our chips were greasy and soggy. Hopefully it was just an off day Dole Whips for dessert for amazing as ever tho!

Room service for breakfast morning of anniversary, we shared tonga toast and dakine omelet and it was all very good!

We loved popping into CL for soda, water, wine and beer on our way to room or to the pool and the food was great! We felt so spoiled!

Sometime this week we will look at booking our next fantastic getaway to the Poly and hopefully soon I can upload pics!

By the way we got GV room 3527

Now I am swammped at work so I better get back to it!

Thanks for the TR!:):thumbsup2:yay:

Come on November can't wait.:cheer2:

Well, we only have 1 1/2 days left. We cant believe its been 9 days already :scared1: We are usually saying by now that we had a good time, but are ready to go home. This time we just plain can't believe that it is almost over. It has been such a wonderful trip. OH Well, there's always planning for next year :love:

That's the downside of a vacation at the Polynesian--it is so relaxing you are never ready to leave. :lmao: We can go for 6 days or 14 and it doesn't matter, I'm never ready to go. :sad1:

Glad to hear you are having such a great time!

Thankfully our Nov. split stay is getting closer by the minute. We can barely wait! For those of you who have done a split stay (including the Poly) before, do you think it matters what time we arrive to check in at the 2nd resort? We'll be transferring from Pop Century to Poly mid-week, and I'm wondering if we're more likely to get our room requests, early check in, etc. if I show up at a certain time. I hate to miss any time at the parks, but I'm willing to send the rest of my family without me, and head to the Poly alone (and early!) if necessary. Thanks! :flower3:

Not sure really. We checked in once at 8 AM - got our request, but room wasn't ready until almost 3. Checked in another time at 11:30 - could not get our request at all for the first night (nothing available, we moved rooms after that night), but got into a room right away.

What park are you planning on doing that day? If it's the MK or Epcot, could you go over to the Poly and check in before heading to the park? Should just take a few minutes. Then just hop on the monorail to the MK or walk over to the TTC (not far) and hop the monorail to Epcot. That would probably give you your best chance at getting your request - if they haven't assigned what you want already, they could probably change it at that point. Room likely won't be ready, but they can text you when it's ready.

Of course, we always have a car, so this seems easy to me. If you're relying on Disney transportation - I don't think Resort-to-Resort transportation is so easy. Maybe a cab from the Pop to the Poly in the AM? Or if the family is doing MK, take a bus there and just you hop the monorail over to the Poly for check in?

2 weeks exactly until we arrive at the Polynesian! Yes Yes Yes!!

I remember back in March when I won the trip and I thought it would NEVER come and now here we are 2 weeks away from leaving crummy 'ol Michigan. ... Going to the most wonderful place on the entire planet.

I spent the past few days watching past Disney World commercials on YouTube. Boy are those things addictive! Everyone has seen the one with "Walt" and his parents? I cried like a big baby when I saw that one!

Hi! :goodvibes How exciting for you with winning your trip! That must have been a dream come true in of itself! :lovestruc I can't wait to hear about your experience when you get back! I would love to watch that you tube video of Walt and his parents....do you have a link?? I tried googling it but had no luck locating the commercial!
Have an amazing trip! and please be sure to come back and let us know about your experiences :goodvibes my trip is in February and I am living vicariously through everyone else until then! :rotfl:

We have done a split stay every trip except one. We always go over and check in early, usually before rope drop, so I am a fan of that. We'll be doing it again in December! So far we've always gotten close to our requests (knock wood) which is my priority, i.e., we requested 3rd floor Tokelau but got 2nd floor instead. That said, because we have room requests, our room has never been available earlier than 3 p.m. at the Poly (at BC, yes, but not the Poly). I have noticed at Tokelau the two times we've stayed there that they clean rooms very late, generally (maybe someone has more recent experience with this - I hope it has changed!), and that seems to include unoccupied ones too. That might not be as big a factor with other longhouses.

Anyhoo, I do think you would be mighty lucky to get both your room request AND early check in. If you agree to take first available, then you will likely get into your room earlier. If you have your heart set on a specific longhouse, be prepared to wait.

Typically, we check in, continue to a park, eat a leisurely a lunch, and then drive to a grocery store to pick up some breakfast essentials and water. By that time, the room is usually ready.

I've heard that the rooms are assigned a few days ahead of your arrival, so if that's true I'm not sure it matters what time you check in. I have heard speculation, though that it can make a difference if you do online check-in (more than those few days in advance). Again, I don't know if that is true, but it can't hurt to try. :confused3 In October we did on-line check-in and we got two of our three requests - third floor and connecting rooms, but we didn't get the longhouse we wanted (although in the end we loved where they put us so it was all good :))

Hi! :goodvibes How exciting for you with winning your trip! That must have been a dream come true in of itself! :lovestruc I can't wait to hear about your experience when you get back! I would love to watch that you tube video of Walt and his parents....do you have a link?? I tried googling it but had no luck locating the commercial!
Have an amazing trip! and please be sure to come back and let us know about your experiences :goodvibes my trip is in February and I am living vicariously through everyone else until then! :rotfl:

Here's the link to the commercial!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWrpK0EeVa0

If you'd also like to live through my pre-trip report and regular TR, I'm writing it all in my blog... http://disney-nerd.blogspot.com

I do think at Disney, in general, rooms are assigned in advance. Both times at the Poly, however, we were clearly assigned the room upon check in. Not sure if it depends on the time of year or what.

I have always wondered the hows and whys of room assignment. Once, we split a stay between the YC and BC and the SAME CM checked me in both places. At YC, he said, "We're not that busy right now so I am going to upgrade you to waterview." and then added "If you don't like it, come back and I will give you another one." Yippee, first one was perfect. At BC, he told me we were also upgraded to waterview ... but it was missing a daybed which we needed as a family of 5. He told me he didn't have the authority at BC to assign another room so he went to talk to the room assigner to find one with a daybed. We lost the upgrade with the change, but that was ok. So, same CM, same week, almost the same resort, different procedures. :confused3

I've heard that the rooms are assigned a few days ahead of your arrival, so if that's true I'm not sure it matters what time you check in. I have heard speculation, though that it can make a difference if you do online check-in (more than those few days in advance). Again, I don't know if that is true, but it can't hurt to try. :confused3 In October we did on-line check-in and we got two of our three requests - third floor and connecting rooms, but we didn't get the longhouse we wanted (although in the end we loved where they put us so it was all good :))

We leave for the airport in 15 or so hours. I'm not packed, my house looks like a bomb hit it, and I'm going a little nuts. I keep telling myself that Monday morning (we are staying overnight at the airport), none of that will matter. We'll be at the Poly by 1p. :thumbsup2

:banana::banana::banana:I am leaving today!!We are driving all day and checking in tomorrow. This is my family's first stay at the Poly and it feels like a dream!!!Ok--I have a couple of questions for you Poly pros!:cool1: First, what is the check in there like? We hope to get there early and if we don't get our room head to the MK. I've done online checkin, but I was thinking I heard some say they greet you with leis? If so I would love to get pictures and videos and would like to be ready with a camera.;) Another quick question:are there hairdryers and irons in the room? I'm thinking they are, but, I need to know if I need to pack them.;)Thanks and I can't wait!

:banana::banana::banana:I am leaving today!!We are driving all day and checking in tomorrow. This is my family's first stay at the Poly and it feels like a dream!!!Ok--I have a couple of questions for you Poly pros!:cool1: First, what is the check in there like? We hope to get there early and if we don't get our room head to the MK. I've done online checkin, but I was thinking I heard some say they greet you with leis? If so I would love to get pictures and videos and would like to be ready with a camera.;) Another quick question:are there hairdryers and irons in the room? I'm thinking they are, but, I need to know if I need to pack them.;)Thanks and I can't wait!

Yes on the leis, iron and hair dryer. Have a great time!!!!!

Here's the link to the commercial!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWrpK0EeVa0

If you'd also like to live through my pre-trip report and regular TR, I'm writing it all in my blog... http://disney-nerd.blogspot.com

OK, I know this is off-topic for the Poly thread and I apologize, but I went to this link and watched all the "Magic Happen" commercials, and teared up multiple times. (As did my husband who is away from home right now, who I sent the link to the "Business Trip" one. Shh, don't tell.) Don't think I've ever seen those before.

Have a great trip! Never actually heard of anyone who won a Disney trip before. Good on you.

OK, I know this is off-topic for the Poly thread and I apologize, but I went to this link and watched all the "Magic Happen" commercials, and teared up multiple times. (As did my husband who is away from home right now, who I sent the link to the "Business Trip" one. Shh, don't tell.) Don't think I've ever seen those before.

Have a great trip! Never actually heard of anyone who won a Disney trip before. Good on you.

I looked at the same ones this morning!!! And yes the business trip one was teh one that made me tear up! LOVED IT!

Aloha everyone! We're back from our wonderful 7 day stay at the Polynesian and Mrs. B. and I have been working on a trip report that we'll start posting shortly.

Here are a couple of photos and a quick report on our room.

poly_15121.jpg

We were placed in room 1512, on the first floor of the Hawaii building a little more than halfway down the hall from the Concierge desks. I am sad to report that the room was not in the greatest shape. I have been staying at the Polynesian for most of my life and have not, in my memory, been lodged in a room this out of sorts. Was I disappointed? Yeah, maybe a little… Did it ruin my vacation? Not in the least. As a matter of fact, I’ve really only lodged these imperfections in my mind for the sake of honesty in this report. Mostly, they went unnoticed during our time in the room, and the only one that was really a bother was the door, because I like to sneak out at 5 AM without waking Mrs. B.

poly_15122.jpg

There is some chipped paint around the door, no doubt from the fact that the door has to be closed with moderate force. Some scratches and dents adorn the wooden closets. There is a drawer and a closet door that don’t close properly. The handle for the cold water in the bathroom needs some motivation to turn, and the handle for the sliding glass door is loose.

Otherwise, the room is beautifully clean (No bedbugs!) and the view is marvelous, although after becoming acclimated to a 3rd floor view for the past couple of years, it did take some getting used to before I could fully appreciate it. I was slightly disappointed about the light that sits between the door and the castle (This is a MINOR imperfection in an otherwise stunning view that only really affects the view at night). There were a few room service trays in the hall throughout our stay and they never remained there for very long.

poly_morning1.jpg

I don’t know if the condition of our room sums up the condition of all the rooms at the resort as a whole or not. It certainly could just be a room that’s been a little more abused and is in more need of some TLC than the rest.

The lounge is still perfect, the resort grounds are immaculate, the GCH still smells and looks stunning, and it is still, very much, the resort home that I’ve come to know and love throughout my years.

The Hawaii staff is brilliant and welcoming as always. They’re always there with an Aloha and an offer of a cold adult beverage, and wanting to know if you’re being taken care of and having a wonderful time.

poly_morning2.jpg

The food offerings have definitely been cut back. I’ve seen it written on the boards in past years that they have cut back on the offerings, but this is the first year it was actually really noticeable to me. I’m sure this is the case across the board. I find it hard to believe that the Polynesian would be the only one to cut back.

poly_beach4.jpg

All in all it was a wonderful vacation. We are both thrilled with how everything went and the time we had together at the most beautiful resort on Disney property. I can't wait to get back there!

Aloha everyone! We're back from our wonderful 7 day stay at the Polynesian and Mrs. B. and I have been working on a trip report that we'll start posting shortly.

Here are a couple of photos and a quick report on our room.

poly_15121.jpg

We were placed in room 1215, on the first floor of the Hawaii building a little more than halfway down the hall from the Concierge desks. I am sad to report that the room was not in the greatest shape. I have been staying at the Polynesian for most of my life and have not, in my memory, been lodged in a room this out of sorts. Was I disappointed? Yeah, maybe a little… Did it ruin my vacation? Not in the least. As a matter of fact, I’ve really only lodged these imperfections in my mind for the sake of honesty in this report. Mostly, they went unnoticed during our time in the room, and the only one that was really a bother was the door, because I like to sneak out at 5 AM without waking Mrs. B.

poly_15122.jpg

There is some chipped paint around the door, no doubt from the fact that the door has to be closed with moderate force. Some scratches and dents adorn the wooden closets. There is a drawer and a closet door that don’t close properly. The handle for the cold water in the bathroom needs some motivation to turn, and the handle for the sliding glass door is loose.

Otherwise, the room is beautifully clean (No bedbugs!) and the view is marvelous, although after becoming acclimated to a 3rd floor view for the past couple of years, it did take some getting used to before I could fully appreciate it. I was slightly disappointed about the light that sits between the door and the castle (This is a MINOR imperfection in an otherwise stunning view that only really affects the view at night). There were a few room service trays in the hall throughout our stay and they never remained there for very long.

poly_morning1.jpg

I don’t know if the condition of our room sums up the condition of all the rooms at the resort as a whole or not. It certainly could just be a room that’s been a little more abused and is in more need of some TLC than the rest.

The lounge is still perfect, the resort grounds are immaculate, the GCH still smells and looks stunning, and it is still, very much, the resort home that I’ve come to know and love throughout my years.

The Hawaii staff is brilliant and welcoming as always. They’re always there with an Aloha and an offer of a cold adult beverage, and wanting to know if you’re being taken care of and having a wonderful time.

poly_morning2.jpg

The food offerings have definitely been cut back. I’ve seen it written on the boards in past years that they have cut back on the offerings, but this is the first year it was actually really noticeable to me. I’m sure this is the case across the board. I find it hard to believe that the Polynesian would be the only one to cut back.

poly_beach4.jpg

All in all it was a wonderful vacation. We are both thrilled with how everything went and the time we had together at the most beautiful resort on Disney property. I can't wait to get back there!

Welcome back - The pictures of the Poly at night are beautiful. I'll be looking forward to your TR. Aloha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter