ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

Thanks for the report - loved the pictures!!!
Thank you! It's great to see another Disney Doc! :goodvibes

hi all- we just got back from a short 3 night stay at the polynesian. i hope to login in later and add some more-but just wanted to say that we got a Theme park view on 3rd floor tahiti and we are FOREVER in love :love::love::love: with the polynesian and that room!!! I can't say enough about it. We're in love. the TTC is sooo close to tahiti. we actually ALWAYS walked there for the monorail- instead of ever walking to the GCH. Captain cooks was yummy. It was our first time there (we did have a bit of a wait for the food- but otherwise- we loved it). We've been to kona and ohana- we knew we loved them. The weather was perfect. The pool was perfect. THE ROOM WAS RIDICULOUSLY LARGE. I was beside myself. The view of the water pageant and wishes from our room was-- perfect. Contemporary used to be my hand-down favorite resort- but I just can't stop raving about how much we loved our room this past weekend. We had a very magical weekend. We know we will be back. :love::love: It is a fantastic resort.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Welcome back. Thanks for the review. I'm glad you had a great trip.:goodvibes

We got back on Monday. We had a great time. We arrived at the Poly around 12:30 and when we checked in they first had given us a 2nd. floor room in Aotearoa facing the monorail. She immediately looked for a new one.(without me asking) She put us on the 3rd floor in Tokelau facing the Grand Floridian. I was excited about it, that building is supposed to have great garden views. Well, it was a major let down when I opened the curtain and we were facing the stairway of the next building. So we walked back up there and I sweetly asked if there was ANYTHING else. Nothing in Fiji or Samoa(where we've previously stayed). So I asked her to check Aotearoa facing the lagoon as I had heard that some of those garden view rooms had nice views. A few minutes later she came back and said they found us a room on the 1st floor in Aotearoa and it was a lagoon view with a view of the castle.(room 1219)

The room was free of bed bugs. ;o) But very VERY dusty in the corners and the touch up paint they used did NOT blend in with the old paint at all. So that was really tacky. If any of you get that room the fridge is super cold because my DH pulled it out and cranked it. lol. It actually kept our beer cold enough to drink. We are picky about ice cold beer. The noise from the Spirit of Aloha was annoying. You couldn't hear any music just the drum beats, which wasn't very relaxing. But it was only for a short time at the end of the show. You could hear the loop music(ugh, hate it so tacky) from the patio because there was a light/speaker right in front of the room. Which was also a bad thing because the light was VERY bright when you were trying to watch the fireworks. And if you wanted to photograph them you had to walk out past the light. It was a good location though. Quiet except at night and we like walking, so it didn't matter how far it was.
In retrospect I don't want a patio room ever again. You really don't get to see your view much because you can't keep your curtains open, especially not in that building because the Spirit of Aloha dinner crew walked 10 feet in front of our patio every night, twice. lol. Also, the mosquitoes were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad that you couldn't even sit out on your patio after dark, or down on the beach, to watch the fireworks. So that was a major bummer. It was the first time we'd ever been to Disney that they didn't have the mosquitoes under control.
MommyPoppins your pictures are gorgeous. Your castle view is out of this world! Thanks for the pics and the review and welcome back! :goodvibes

Great pictures, guitarob and MommyPoppins!!! I love to see the old "vintage" pictures of the Polynesian, as well as the brand new ones! :sunny:

I'm planning on staying at the Poly next year....Any tips on how best to around from the poly to each park. Besides Magic Kingdom on the monorail....

Any tip for a Poly newbie, a must do or what not to miss ?

Thanks everyone!

I'm planning on staying at the Poly next year....Any tips on how best to around from the poly to each park. Besides Magic Kingdom on the monorail....

Any tip for a Poly newbie, a must do or what not to miss ?

Thanks everyone!

I am assuming you mean using Disney transporation - not driving your own car.

Epcot - if you are on the TTC side of the resort - it is probably easiest to walk to TTC and take the monorail from there. (But you can take monorail from the GCH at the poly and switch at the TTC to the Epcot monorail). I think that for DHS and AK - only choice is the bus.

I would call and add the request to my reservation. If when you arrive and you are not in your longhouse(s) of choice, simply ask if there is a room available in either. :thumbsup2

Thank you. I had a feeling that I needed to call, but ugh... I hate using their phone system. I went ahead and called about 10 minutes ago. If we get our request, I hope I like either Rapa Nui or Tahiti. I know it's a hike to the GCH, but I really like the proximity to the TTC. As we plan on spending the majority of our time in either Epcot and the MK, I think the location of those 2 longhouses is perfect!

Thanks again.

Ok, my Poly-minded brain has come up with yet another 'not so important' Poly question to ask the 'experts' here.... Dole whip in Captain Jack's - is it just the whip, or is there pineapple juice near by to also make the 'float'? I'm trying not to be a total geek, but I think I have lost that battle!:laughing:

Ok, my Poly-minded brain has come up with yet another 'not so important' Poly question to ask the 'experts' here.... Dole whip in Captain Jack's - is it just the whip, or is there pineapple juice near by to also make the 'float'? I'm trying not to be a total geek, but I think I have lost that battle!:laughing:

I don't remember seeing any pineapple juice in CC's to float-ify your Dole whip. But they do have the regular & the twist. :thumbsup2

I don't remember seeing any pineapple juice in CC's to float-ify your Dole whip. But they do have the regular & the twist. :thumbsup2

float-ify - I like that! Thanks for the tip, now I will have realistic dole-whip-Poly expectations and save my floatifying for MK!:lmao:

Oh I want to mention something else in regards to the dining plan and this resort.

We stayed at POR in May with the dining plan and your "dessert" option there was a cookie. At the Poly you can chose, a mickey rise crispy treat, a dole whip, a bag of chips, fruit, yogurt or anything from the bakery case. A MUCH better dining plan deal than at POR. I will keep that in mind for future trips.

Oh I want to mention something else in regards to the dining plan and this resort.

We stayed at POR in May with the dining plan and your "dessert" option there was a cookie. At the Poly you can chose, a mickey rise crispy treat, a dole whip, a bag of chips, fruit, yogurt or anything from the bakery case. A MUCH better dining plan deal than at POR. I will keep that in mind for future trips.

This is yet another example of different CMs, different experiences...we've used the dining plan before, knowing that the "dessert" can be swapped out for a snack, a chip, etc. as you mentioned. We had no problem doing this too at POR. We do have food allergies which leaves most desserts out for two of my kids, but it never seemed to be a problem.

MommyPoppins...I love your signature photos, the children are precious.

Ok, I'm tryyyyying to be objective here... which is hard, because I'm a fanboy, and there's no changing that. :rotfl: Not that I'd want to. ;)

The Polynesian was built in 1971. That alone dates the style somewhat, because it's kind of hard to change the style of the longhouses and the resort was built on the idea of a 1970's fantasy tropical getaway.

The Contemporary isn't exactly contemporary anymore either, but it's still a very nice place, and is nostalgic and heartwarming, as is the Poly.

I think if they had stuck with the original look and colors of the resort that it would come off dated now, and back in the 70's and early 80's I can definitely see where the "Brady Bunch" thing comes from.

I mean, look at these benches around the waterfall in the GCH (1978) (oh, how I wish I had my own photo of the yellow and green tile on the floors to use, there's a well known Poly fan site out there that does if you care to look):

1978_1.jpg

1978_2.jpg

...and those awfully yellow "water mice" (photo 1987):

1983_1.jpg
1987_1.jpg

But, it has been updated very much since then.

Here's the same area in the GCH last year (sorry about the lighting, it was taken at like 5:30 AM while the lights in the GCH were still dim, I can't believe I don't have daytime photos of this area.):

poly_gchbench.jpg

And the newer "water mice":

poly_boat1.jpg

Every aspect of the interiors of the resort has been updated with a newer theme and color scheme. Brown remains a consistent color throughout the resort because it lends to the wooden and tropical feel of the resort and some people do find it to be "dark".

But even in that aspect, where the longhouses used to be extremely brown:

poly_oldpostcard.jpg

...they are now accented with bright oranges, yellows and whites:

poly_frombeach.jpg
poly_fromboat.jpg

poly_detail1.jpg

The rooms were refurbished in 2006, and I think also have a very welcoming feeling to them. Last year I didn't find them to be in the least bit of disrepair or feel run-down at all (although I'm sure if you nitpick you're bound to find some wear and tear, which is natural in any resort with that rate of occupancy:

poly_room.jpg

poly_room3.jpg

All in all, I think you have to "get" the theme that they're going for. It's very earth-toned and natural feeling, with splashes of color. The hallways in the longhouses are a little dimmer and the lighting more subdued. To me this makes it feel more cozy and gives the whole resort a more subtle feel.

As for the smell... ::sigh:: that smell to me is just a smell of peace and tranquility and a Disney tropical vacation. I wish I could bottle it up and bring it home with me. But, then again, if I smelled it every day, it wouldn't be so special.

Ok, It's getting late, and I'm overtired and starting to babble a little. I hope that I've helped some. :goodvibes

:lovestruc You completely eased any feeling I would have of it being "cheesy" :goodvibes I totally get the theme and style and see completely how it all fits together. I am excited to see for myself the beauty of this classic resort. Thank you so much for your detailed response, it really put everything in perspective :goodvibes
PS..... your a true cutie patootey as a little guy :)

guitarob - Great photos (is that you ??) and you summed it up well :thumbsup2

Yep, that's me alright. :goodvibes and that's about the age I'll be again in 10 days, at least mentally anyway. :cool1:

:lovestruc You completely eased any feeling I would have of it being "cheesy" :goodvibes I totally get the theme and style and see completely how it all fits together. I am excited to see for myself the beauty of this classic resort. Thank you so much for your detailed response, it really put everything in perspective :goodvibes

I'm glad I could help :) I'm even happier that I have eased your mind. It truly is a beautiful resort. Honestly though, I'm glad that there are people that don't like it. It ensures that I'll have a room available when I need one :lmao:

Hi, everyone....my first trip to the Poly is this November and I CAN.NOT. WAIT!!!! I am so excited. Glad I found this thread to tide me over (for a little while) until it's finally time for our trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter