• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

I've never stayed or planned to stay at the Poly before, so until the last few days I've never read any Poly thread. Well my sister in law found the Disney planning DVD, and after watching several times, on Sunday afternoon she announced she wants to go to WDW at Christmas time this year.

We decided a monorail resort was best, and her original pick was for CR. When I called they had some great deals at CR but nothing that worked for us. CM then checked and found a great deal for us on a TPV room at the Poly that we could not pass up, so SIL, DH and me are off to the Poly Dec. 11-13. Of course now I'm reading this thread. I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed it both for the information and for its cordiality.

We will rent a ECV for my SIL, but she is able to walk a little with a cane, and we don't need any other adaptive equipment. After reading through this thread I know to request either Tuvalu or Tahiti (still trying to figure out that "friendly" debate) but does one work better than the other with an ECV? I had wanted a third floor room, but will the ECV be a problem on the elevators? Are the doorways of the upper floors wide enough for an ECV?

Your insight and suggestions are most appreciated.

thanks,

Lee

I've never stayed or planned to stay at the Poly before, so until the last few days I've never read any Poly thread. Well my sister in law found the Disney planning DVD, and after watching several times, on Sunday afternoon she announced she wants to go to WDW at Christmas time this year.

We decided a monorail resort was best, and her original pick was for CR. When I called they had some great deals at CR but nothing that worked for us. CM then checked and found a great deal for us on a TPV room at the Poly that we could not pass up, so SIL, DH and me are off to the Poly Dec. 11-13. Of course now I'm reading this thread. I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed it both for the information and for its cordiality.

We will rent a ECV for my SIL, but she is able to walk a little with a cane, and we don't need any other adaptive equipment. After reading through this thread I know to request either Tuvalu or Tahiti (still trying to figure out that "friendly" debate) but does one work better than the other with an ECV? I had wanted a third floor room, but will the ECV be a problem on the elevators? Are the doorways of the upper floors wide enough for an ECV?

thanks,

Lee

I am sure there is someone on this thread who will answer your question, but I also wanted to share with you that I found great advice and answers to many questions including room sizes and pictures on the disABILITIES board.

I am taking my mother who suffers from MS to Disney for the first time this Christmas and she will require an ECV. The folks on that board are quick to answer any question about getting around the entire world with an ECV.

I have actually seen a number of different responses to this question so I figured I would ask the Poly People since we are staying there...

We will be five people and I was hoping to not have to pack beach towels. I have been told you can get by at the Poly pool using the towels poolside, but if you go to the waterparks, you will need to bring your own towels (you get charged for them at the waterparks?).

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
We take pool towels from the resort. They are actually the exact same towels that you can rent at the water parks for $2 each.
Please tell me more about the lockers! We're checking in early on the morning of DD's birthday and plan to head to MK after breakfast at 'Ohana. We'd like to spend some time at the pool after that and were wondering how to manage it if our room isn't ready. This sounds like the perfect solution of where to put our valuables.
They aren't huge--about 2.5-3 ft high and maybe 9-10" wide. But Bell services will hold all of your luggage--we just kept a couple small bags (we always throw a pool bag or 2 like this http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/20449.htm into our suitcase when traveling---for storing clothing, etc.) with us--one for the boys, one for the girls.

Woohoo!! :dance3: How stinkin cute about coloring the pictures! :lovestruc How old are your kids? We're there at the same time, I'm sure well come across each other while at the pool. :)[/QUOTE

Mine are all girls 10,9 & 8 they will have the same bathing suits,so you probably could pick us out easy enough:lmao:

We had our first family vacation at the Poly from July 21-27. I really hope that it is not our last because we had a wonderful time.

We loved the whole atmosphere of the resort. It is so relaxing! I have to say that we did not pass one CM at the resort that did not smile and say Aloha. We enjoyed Captain Cooks, Ohanas and room service. The pools were great. We spent more time at the quiet pool as it was less crowded. We did go to the Volcano pool a couple of times. I have to say that the water slide is not to be missed. I was a little leary but when I saw my 5yr old zipping down it with the biggest smile on his face, I had to try it. The transportation was very efficient. It was so nice that we did not worry about renting a car, directions or parking.

The highlight of the trip for me: laying on the beach in front of Tahiti with the warm breezes and watching the fireworks. That was worth the trip alone! The only negative of our trip was our view. I do believe that we may have had the worst view of the whole resort. Tahiti room 1002. It was garden view but x100. There was a shrub directly in front of the patio chairs. We did not let this dampen our spirits. We were there for a good time, not a long time so we ventured on to see the resort and the rest of the "world".

I am now in love with the Poly. :cloud9:

Mine are all girls 10,9 & 8 they will have the same bathing suits,so you probably could pick us out easy enough:lmao:

Oh boy, 3 girls eh? My middle guy is girl crazy... he'll be the loud one acting all goofy probably asking them if they are twins since they match. :lmao: Mine are 9 (turning in 2 days), 7, & 5 1/2 and they'll be with me and dh who has crazy long hair at the moment. :hippie: I'm sure we'll see each other. :thumbsup2

They aren't huge--about 2.5-3 ft high and maybe 9-10" wide. But Bell services will hold all of your luggage--we just kept a couple small bags (we always throw a pool bag or 2 like this http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/20449.htm into our suitcase when traveling---for storing clothing, etc.) with us--one for the boys, one for the girls.

Thanks for the scoop on the lockers - we also plan to pack a pool bag. Thanks also for the link to the mesh bags. I've been trying to come up with something for DS to use for his bathroom stuff at college (he's a freshman this year) and the pretty little shower caddies we've been finding in stores just don't cut it for him! :rotfl:

I'm sure other's have asked this, but I understand you can hear the music on the beach during Wishes (or whatever fireworks are going on), but I was wondering if any of you ' Poly experts' can recommend the best place to see AND hear the fireworks. My son has hearing loss and I thought I would try to do a little research on this ahead of time. I am beyond excited, going to make my countdown chain soon and we are doing lots of Disney family fun nights (theme nights) to get more excited (if that is possible!). Thanks for the info!

Can anyone tell me what the current prices are for the drinks at the Poly. We are working on our trip budget and I know our girls will want some virgen pina coladas and I can't find an updated list of prices for drinks at the barefoot bar or tambu lounge.:confused3

Just wanted to say thank you to all my Poly friends for the information you've shared. We are flying out tomorrow morning and so look forward to the next thirteen days! I'll take plenty of Poly pictures for you all. Wish me luck with Harry Potter.;) Hope to see some of you at the Polynesian!

Cathy

thanks,

Lee

I've stayed at the Polynesian with an ECV several times now. In fact, we had 2 ECVs in our room last month. We've only ever stayed in the Hawaii building, so I can't say for sure about Tuvalu or Tahiti.

We've stayed in regular rooms in the Hawaii building, and once in an accessible room in Hawaii. We've stayed on the first floor and also the third floor. The elevator was fine for the ECV, but I have to say that it was so much easier just being on the first floor. I'm a BIG fan of MK/TPV view from the third floor, but with the ECV, I'll always request first floor from now on.

The doorways will be fine for an ECV. Not a ton of extra space to get through, but it's not a tight fit either.

I know that Tahiti has some accessible rooms, but I don't think that Tuvalu does. If your SIL needs an accessible room, be sure to have that noted on your reservation. Here's a link to the accessible room that we had in Hawaii, the extra features made things a lot easier: http://www.brownfamilyvacations.com/html/PolynAccessRm.htm

I hope this info was a little helpful to you. :)

Can anyone tell me what the current prices are for the drinks at the Poly. We are working on our trip budget and I know our girls will want some virgen pina coladas and I can't find an updated list of prices for drinks at the barefoot bar or tambu lounge.:confused3

I believe they are $4.50 a piece, was there last week at the pool bar but didn't take a picture of the menu or anything.

Just wanted to say thank you to all my Poly friends for the information you've shared. We are flying out tomorrow morning and so look forward to the next thirteen days! I'll take plenty of Poly pictures for you all. Wish me luck with Harry Potter.;) Hope to see some of you at the Polynesian!

Cathy

Hey Cathy,
We are flying out in the morning too!! I will have my TGM AVC button and my Dis luggage tag hanging from my bag (oh, I might not have that with me too much around the poly though). Oh well, if you see a pooh-sized mom with brown curly hair, a grey-haired (shhh, I didn't say that) man, a 12 year old DD (who looks like she is going on 17) and a very active 7 year old DS...that would be us!! I hope we run into you! Best of luck with Harry, LOL!

We had our first family vacation at the Poly from July 21-27. I really hope that it is not our last because we had a wonderful time.

We loved the whole atmosphere of the resort. It is so relaxing! I have to say that we did not pass one CM at the resort that did not smile and say Aloha. We enjoyed Captain Cooks, Ohanas and room service. The pools were great. We spent more time at the quiet pool as it was less crowded. We did go to the Volcano pool a couple of times. I have to say that the water slide is not to be missed. I was a little leary but when I saw my 5yr old zipping down it with the biggest smile on his face, I had to try it. The transportation was very efficient. It was so nice that we did not worry about renting a car, directions or parking.

The highlight of the trip for me: laying on the beach in front of Tahiti with the warm breezes and watching the fireworks. That was worth the trip alone! The only negative of our trip was our view. I do believe that we may have had the worst view of the whole resort. Tahiti room 1002. It was garden view but x100. There was a shrub directly in front of the patio chairs. We did not let this dampen our spirits. We were there for a good time, not a long time so we ventured on to see the resort and the rest of the "world".

I am now in love with the Poly. :cloud9:

Welcome back! So glad you had a nice time~ Any pics to share? What did you order from room service? and Capt Cooks?

Oh boy, 3 girls eh? My middle guy is girl crazy... he'll be the loud one acting all goofy probably asking them if they are twins since they match. :lmao: Mine are 9 (turning in 2 days), 7, & 5 1/2 and they'll be with me and dh who has crazy long hair at the moment. :hippie: I'm sure we'll see each other. :thumbsup2

Girl crazy boys is the reason Daddy put them all in Karate at the age of 4:lmao:

Honestly, my girls are "cool girls" to quote some of their little friends who happen to be boys(notice how I would not say boyfriends:rotfl:) I think it is because they have fun, do karate and my littlest looooooooves cars.

So I will be looking for a guy with long hair;) I am so unbelievably exited!:banana: Every time I make an appointment in work for next week, I get butterflys because I am so close to Disney. Sure this is all for the kids:rotfl2:

Cathy

Have a wonderful trip! I can't wait to hear about your experiences...especially with Harry Potter. DS9 is begging us to take him there! Looking forward to viewing all of your pics!

Happy Travels!

ab924674.jpg

This is the designated smoking area at the volcano pool as seen from my balcony in Samoa. It has been closed since at least some time on monday (i noticed monday night) and yesterday i saw the lifeguards moving all the chairs out of there. I asked why the area was closed and i was told "I think they will be working on the pool deck. Only this small area is affected and so far it doesn't look likeanything major is going on. Im only here at the Poly for one more day :( but if I hear any more news I will report here.

After the sadest year of my and my childrens life I have decided to book nov. 20-27th at the poly. I am desperate for somnething to keep my mind busy and nothing like disney vacation to send me into planning overdrive. I will do my best not to talk about the sad parts here. We have planned concerige garden view . Nice to meet ya'll

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter