• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ALOHA! The Poly FAQ: Fall 2010 Edition

I give, what's the debate????

Oh, well the Capt'n would tell you to request Tuvalu (for TPV) and have you believe that Tahiti sucks because he likes to keep it all to himself, when really, any self-respecting DISer would avoid Tuvalu like the plague. The view is crappy, there's big snakes & rats, it smells funny ... :rolleyes1

:rotfl2:

My BEST (shortest wait typically, quickest mode of transportation, and most fun to me):

MK - Take monorail from the Great Ceremonial House
EP - Walk to the TTC (Ticket & Transportation Center) and take the monorail
AK & HS - Take the bus (but I hear that taking it from TTC might be quicker although I've only taken it from the Poly)
DTD - Taxi....take a taxi....the bus takes FOREVER... (Okay, that's a tip to myself because I can't believe how many times I think that this time it won't be so bad)
HDDR - What's this?

HDDR= Hoop Dee Doo Revue

I would take the monorail to the Contemporary or even the MK then take the boat/launch over to Ft. Wilderness. We love HDDR, have fun!

Thanks, Everyone for the responses about the bathrooms/tension rod between the toilet and the sink area. I'm pretty new to this board, and I'm very impressed by how much everyone helps and supports each other, and where else can you talk about fairies, pirates and princesses in the same sentence? :cloud9:

We usually get along pretty well, but almost 13 year old dd and 16 year old ds take a lot of time in the bathroom. Guess we're just bringing a timer for showers this time. For those of you with teens, you know what I mean. For those of you with younger children, and sometimes you wonder if they would ever want to take a bath without your prodding, this will all change. :lmao:

I guess each age has its challenges. Though at my age it is obsessing over planning our Disney trip! :rotfl:

Thanks, Everyone for the responses about the bathrooms/tension rod between the toilet and the sink area. I'm pretty new to this board, and I'm very impressed by how much everyone helps and supports each other, and where else can you talk about fairies, pirates and princesses in the same sentence? :cloud9:

We usually get along pretty well, but almost 13 year old dd and 16 year old ds take a lot of time in the bathroom. Guess we're just bringing a timer for showers this time. For those of you with teens, you know what I mean. For those of you with younger children, and sometimes you wonder if they would ever want to take a bath without your prodding, this will all change. :lmao:

I guess each age has its challenges. Though at my age it is obsessing over planning our Disney trip! :rotfl:

We solved our issues with this years ago. My husband and I get our showers, wake them and tell them we will meet them in the lounge at XXXX time for breakfast. We are leaving at XXXX time--if you are there and ready, you will be going with us, if not--you are going to be left behind. We have never left a child behind. . .we've come close, but it hasn't happened. :lmao:

We went in May, and Boutiki did have 4 or 5 really cool looking Hawaiian shirts adorned with Mickey, I remember b/c my husband bought one. It's the middle of summer, so I would think they would still have them.

Thanks for the info scarlett. We won't be there until December, but I would guess they would still have them available. If you don't mind my asking, how much were they. The ones on LaugingPlace.com were $56 after a 15% discount.

Requesting microwaves for room?

Yes that's true, however the resorts also have a very low number of them to give out for those who request one and there is a chance they might be gone by the time you check-in. So worst case scenario you can always use the microwave at Captain Cooks.

Anyone know if there is a charge/night for them?

DTD - Taxi....take a taxi....the bus takes FOREVER... (Okay, that's a tip to myself because I can't believe how many times I think that this time it won't be so bad)

Wow... I've never read so many posts saying this about DTD transportation.

This will be my first stay at the Poly - be there in 4 more days!!!!! :dance3:

I've stayed at quite a few other resorts and don't remember experiencing such wait time there. (i guess because my home resort is POR, there we usually just take the ferry) Does the Poly share the DTD bus with the other monorail resorts? Or, does it also make other stops at one of the water parks?

how much would a taxi be from the Poly to DTD??

The Polynesian from 1971 to the present
The Story Begins ...
This story begins with a 27,000 acre site in central Florida that would someday become Walt Disney World including a spot specifically selected for its location and views that would be the location for a resort called the Polynesian Resort. Originally called the "Vacation Kingdom" it would become something like none of us had ever seen. The name would not be the only thing to change as time went by.

Beginning
The Polynesian Village was born in 1971. Construction started in February 1971 and was completed August 1971. It was supposed to be a 12- story high-rise hotel in the center of a lagoon where guests rooms were clustered around small streams, a pool fed by waterfalls, a helt club, high-ceiling "South Sea" dining room located atop the hotel and a skindiving lagoon. Many of these ideas changed and others made it to the opening in 1971 but were removed shortly after.

First Years
Disney's Polynesian Village opened to enthusiastic visitors in late 1971. Visitors to the park that wanted to stay close to the action had two choices, the modern elegance of the Contemporary or the Tropical getaway of the Polynesian. The Polynesian staff and creators worked hard to make you feel you were no longer on the main land but off on some secluded island. As you will see on the following pages, the Polynesian has changed its look, size and logo over the years.

1970s
The Polynesian has gone through some changes since it first opened so lets take a look at how it has changed since 1971.

The Polynesian opened on October 1, 1971 and it had 492 guest rooms (6 being suites) divided between eight guest longhouses across 39 acres. The original buildings were Bali Hai, Bora Bora, Fiji, Hawaii, Maui (later changed to Maori), Samoa, Tahiti, and Tonga. The resort was designed by Welton Becket and Associates of Santa Monica, California and WED Enterprises and constructed by US Steel Realty Develpoment. The rooms were constructed fully off-site and each room weighed 8.5 tons.

1980s
The Polynesian in the 1980s would see it final growth but still hold on to that 70's look with an 80's twist. Most of the resort would still look the same but the rooms would change. The Longhouse exteriors would have their wood siding painted over giving the resort a different look from the outside for the first time.

The 80's would also be when the isolated resort would get a new neighbor in 1988. That is when the Grand Floridian would be built where the Asian was going to be built.

The 1990's was a decade of change to the resort and its philosophy. A leader in this change was the General Manager Clyde Min (GM from 1995-1999) along with some other key cast members Stephen Hoel, Mary Cooper, and Shelley Randazzo. As the resort got some help from our Hawaiian friends to make it more authentic, this talanted group implement the Disney Management by Values-the Magic of Polynesia. With Dr. George Kanahele as a mentor, they would change the behavior of those who worked at the Polynesian. These changes to the resort and staff would bring the final ingredient to the Polynesian that would make it the jewel of Disney World and would bring the aloha spirit to the resort.

2000s
The Resort in the New Millennium has been revitalized. The Polynesian has stuck to the original ideas laid out by Walt Disney and designers and artist Rolly Crump (who designed the Tiki Room and Marc Davis. Even with keeping with the original ideas the Polynesian works hard to update and renovate. Many visitors to the Polynesian have seen renovations going on over the years to keep up one of the original resorts. 2002 brought the most extensive rehab the Polynesian has seen so far and should insure the Polynesian will be around for even longer than it has been already.

here is just some cool stuff i found that i just thought were neat. :)

I've stayed at quite a few other resorts and don't remember experiencing such wait time there. (i guess because my home resort is POR, there we usually just take the ferry) Does the Poly share the DTD bus with the other monorail resorts? Or, does it also make other stops at one of the water parks?

I dont really know first hand but I asked yesterday about going from resort to resort (AKL to WL) by Taxi and many ppl said each time they took one on WDW property it was $25 each way! Not worth it IMHO Id rather just wait for the bus!

All tho, I hope they are wrong! I took a cab once from IOA to my resort and was charged $7 so I dont knoe why the prices are so outrageous in WDW

Thanks for the info scarlett. We won't be there until December, but I would guess they would still have them available. If you don't mind my asking, how much were they. The ones on LaugingPlace.com were $56 after a 15% discount.

I can't remember where in the heck I saw it, but I want to say you can order resort merchandise online or via fax. I would dare say someone on the boards would know it you post a thread out there.

Edit - I found it - here is a link on allears.net for ordering
http://allears.net/tp/mailorder.htm

We have been so excited about our upcoming trip to the Poly CL and then everything falls apart! First, DD falls and breaks her wrist and elbow two weeks ago! Wowza! We did not panic too much because we think that she may be in a short arm waterproof cast by the time that we leave for the trip. Yesterday, DH is rushed to the hospital with dizziness and extremely high blood pressure. He is still in the hospital recovering and getting his blood pressure under control. I remember several years ago, we seemed to get hit with a string of bad luck right before a Disney trip, but this time is a real worry! We are hoping and praying that DH recovers quickly and that we will still be able to go on the trip. This may give us a reason to slow down and take in all of the wonderful things that the Poly has to offer! Poly....take me away!

I really can't remember how long the torch lighting ceremony lasts but if I had an ADR for WCC for 6:40 I probably would leave the Poly between 6 and 6:10.

If you are planning on taking the boat to MK then the boat from there to WL, I would suggest keeping an eye out for how many boats they are running. When we were there this past April, there was only one boat doing the MK>GF>Poly>MK route, and only one boat going from MK to WL. Unfortunately we didn't think to check before we started waiting for the boat at the Poly and it took us almost an hour to get to WL via boat. On the way back, we took the boat from WL to MK and then the monorail back to the Poly.

The torch lighting is very short - five minutes, ten minutes tops if I remember correctly.

Thank all for the replies.

I think we will stay for the torch lighting and just drive to WL, that way we won't be worried about time.

Anyone else see others' Poly countdown tickers and get excited for them? :goodvibes

Living vicariously through people's shorter tickers since July 2010. :laughing:

I sincerely hope my hubby overcomes his grumpitude over Disney and lightens up or I'm leaving him at the airport. :woohoo:

We have been so excited about our upcoming trip to the Poly CL and then everything falls apart! First, DD falls and breaks her wrist and elbow two weeks ago! Wowza! We did not panic too much because we think that she may be in a short arm waterproof cast by the time that we leave for the trip. Yesterday, DH is rushed to the hospital with dizziness and extremely high blood pressure. He is still in the hospital recovering and getting his blood pressure under control. I remember several years ago, we seemed to get hit with a string of bad luck right before a Disney trip, but this time is a real worry! We are hoping and praying that DH recovers quickly and that we will still be able to go on the trip. This may give us a reason to slow down and take in all of the wonderful things that the Poly has to offer! Poly....take me away!

Yikes! Hopefully that will be the end of it all and recovery will go quickly for your DH!

We had similar things happen to us years ago except ours was slightly different. Anytime I booked a Disney trip I ended up pregnant. We thought it was funny the 1st 2 times, but when it happened the 3rd time we said no more Disney for a LONG time - we were done having kids and thought it was our jinx. Hopefully we're past all that but man, it was a long standing joke from everyone around us.

Sending healing vibes your way! :goodvibes

Oh, well the Capt'n would tell you to request Tuvalu (for TPV) and have you believe that Tahiti sucks because he likes to keep it all to himself, when really, any self-respecting DISer would avoid Tuvalu like the plague. The view is crappy, there's big snakes & rats, it smells funny ... :rolleyes1

:rotfl2:

I've only stayed in Tokelau. I stayed there once and was HOOKED :)

We solved our issues with this years ago. My husband and I get our showers, wake them and tell them we will meet them in the lounge at XXXX time for breakfast. We are leaving at XXXX time--if you are there and ready, you will be going with us, if not--you are going to be left behind. We have never left a child behind. . .we've come close, but it hasn't happened. :lmao:

I should try this. My daughter is 6 now but acts 16. She locks the door to the bathroom now when she showers. We have NO idea what takes her so long, it's not like she's wearing makeup!

The Poly to DTD bus that I have taken stops at Contemporary and Typhoon Lagoon and of course the 2 stops at DTD. I have found that the bus BACK to the Poly is awfully long. I always seem to wait a LONG time (like 30 minutes) then we stop everywhere. So even if the bus there doesn't feel overly long, it seems that on the way back we are tired and it's even longer. So next time I'm taking a taxi back to the Poly. And I have heard it costs $10, maybe $15 but I have never taken the taxi so I don't know for sure.

So sorry to hear about this! I hope your family gets better soon and is able to enjoy the vacation!

Anyone else see others' Poly countdown tickers and get excited for them? :goodvibes

I sincerely hope my hubby overcomes his grumpitude over Disney and lightens up or I'm leaving him at the airport. :woohoo:

My hubby looks forward to 1. pool and 2. beer. So he is a Mr. Grumpy too but I just keep him plied with beer (and yummy Poly drinks) and sit him by the pool. Then he's happy ;) Oh, and if I am happy, he is MUCH happier. And Disney makes me happy!

My hubby looks forward to 1. pool and 2. beer. So he is a Mr. Grumpy too but I just keep him plied with beer (and yummy Poly drinks) and sit him by the pool. Then he's happy ;) Oh, and if I am happy, he is MUCH happier. And Disney makes me happy!

*evil voice* Exxxxxcellent plan. That always works for my Mr. Grumpy too, can't believe I didn't think of it! Alcoholic libations will be ordered in droves. :drinking1

Well, FAR be it from me to withhold my fabulous ticker from you!!:lmao:

Look for my live report coming up soon. I'll try to post a link to it in this post!

TOO EXCITED TO SLEEP!!!

Just wanted to pop in and get a Poly feel for the rest of the day. I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed with everything and I needed a break.

School starts next week and I'm just going nutso trying to make sure DD has everything. She also starts dance tomorrow. She is in the company this year and it's so much different than regular dance class. Ugh!

I'm also working on putting together a little packet for DH's grandma for our September trip. She is super excited because she hasn't been to WDW since the 70s. I've got a cute little color packet started, but I'm not sure how much itinerary to put in it.

When we go with just us, I'm a planner. I know when we are doing what and how long it should take, but with grandma being 80, I'm having to tone it down a lot and it's got me all worried that I'm over-planning.

I need a Lapu Lapu and the pool right now.

:lmao::lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter