Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a whole thread on this topic that I've been following. Some people say the gates are working....others say they are not...so can't figure it out. Then....some people say the pool is less crowded and others say....it is not. I guess we shall just have to see. But...if you are interested in the pool hopping subject, just use the search feature. I'm looking forward to my first stay at Poly....very excited. Happy Trip Everyone!

Thanks ThistleMae. Could you tell me how to search for a particular thread, not just a "mentioning" of the topic, since I'm sure a gazillion posts would show up if I looked for "pool fence". Not that I want to look for any more info on this topic, but for any future searches I'd be interested in knowing how to find some specific topic. Thanks!

I know people have very strong opinions about pool hopping. Frankly, I don't consider your situation pool hopping. I think there are some of us who feel there is an exception to every rule, your example being one of them. I have no problem with your in-laws hanging out with you at the poly pool. I also have no issue with you going over to the Contemporary. You are paying guests at both places. It just so happens that my daughter and grandkids could not get a room at poly and they too are at contemporary. What someone else did, in a similar case, was to ask the pool attendant if it was okay to spend some time together at the pool. He/she said yes. I imagine it makes a difference if the pool is crowded, and if that was the case then you should find somewhere else to hang out, like for dinner or something. I think what is not okay....is someone packing up their swim gear for the day, who is staying off site, and bring the family for a day at the pool. I have also heard that there are some folks who are just visiting the park for a day. Use your best judgment and try not to make any one angry! Enjoy your vacation!

I wish I could agree. I truly do. BUT...... as a paying resort guest with no other family member at another resort to even consider going to if the Poly pool was crowded, I selfishly would want first dibs at seating. Although there may be empty chairs available, the tables and real chairs (and umbrella) are few and far between. It only takes a couple of non guests to use up those amenities (not guaranteeing that I would even get one without the pool hopping). Of course my heart goes out to the MIL undergoing surgery and I would fully give up my table if I even had one in that situation, but the every day family members staying elsewhere should not be at a pool where the rules clearly state you must be a resort guest. I just dont get why CMs are still being asked. Im sure they feel awkward saying no..especially if its not crowded, but that doesnt mean in 10 minutes a bunch of resort guests will come back from the park and want to go for a swim, or, like me...just sit in the shade and get off my feet for a bit.

And.....if they dont allow it when it is crowded, but do allow it when its not crowded, then it will become crowded and always be crowded. Do I never get a quiet day at the pool?

To the family with ill MIL, Im very sorry and best wishes for a smooth surgery.

We liked both. Honestly the studio 5 may be tight because there is very little storage -- only 2 drawers under queen bed, no dresser. But having 2 showers -- one with toilet -- has been great. The pull out couch is very comfortable. Even the Murphy bed is quite comfy. I took a nap on it and I am 6ft and lets just say >200 lb. :-)

The small kitchenette area is nice but underused by us.

Would have preferred Fiji just because we have stayed there so much, but the studio rooms are new, spacious and convenient to TTC and buses.

If storage is a deal breaker, go for standard room. If not, either is a great choice.

Storage for my sons and husband will be no problem. They're ok with just keeping everything in their small duffle bags. DD12 and I are a different story. But then again, summer clothing is so small to begin with that we may be ok. How's the storage in the bathroom with the larger vanity? Enough space maybe for her little pairs of shorts, tanks, undies and the itty bitty bikini? Lol

Storage for my sons and husband will be no problem. They're ok with just keeping everything in their small duffle bags. DD12 and I are a different story. But then again, summer clothing is so small to begin with that we may be ok. How's the storage in the bathroom with the larger vanity? Enough space maybe for her little pairs of shorts, tanks, undies and the itty bitty bikini? Lol

There are two smallish drawers and a few cubbies in the vanity in the bathroom with the toilet. Larger bathroom, smaller vanity. Honestly, there is too much wasted space in this bathroom. You could fit a tall dresser in it, no exaggeration.

In the other bathroom there are 2 drawers and similar cubbies in the vanity -- the bottom drawer here is decent size and would be good for small clothing items: socks, undies, bathing suit. But not big enough for shirts, shorts, etc.

There is a little room in the closet too, but not much. There is a safe, ironing board, iron, pack n play, and bag with extra pillow/blanket. There is a rod and there are hangers -- maybe a dozen.

Some of our stuff including a suitcase fits under the Murphy bed when open.

We found we needed the open space under the end of the queen sized bed for the pillows from the sleeper couch when open. Otherwise you could fit a suitcase or two under there.

There is also a chest/rolling table thing that opens and you can put stuff in there. It's large enough for a rolling duffel.

Here for a few more days.

Some observations:

-The entire resort looks freshly painted on the outside. Maybe it's my imagination but the resort from the outside looks better than I've ever seen it since our first family trip in 2007.

-Looks like they are in the process of replacing pathway lights with a new style. Looks mostly done, some aren't working yet and a few paths need more lights. I'll try to get a pic.

-The tiki torches mostly are lit at night. Some aren't working. I've also seen them on during the day (testing?)

-There were 2 cherry pickers near the East (Quiet) Pool the past few days. They were making ad hoc repairs to the balconies of several long houses . The safety beeping when they moved was a bit much, but I think they moved on today.

-The GCH looks great. We've eaten at 'Ohana, Captain Cooks and Kona. Service at Kona was super slow, the food was very good tho (breakfast). 'Ohana breakfast was ok. It's a tradition for us, but otherwise I don't know if I'd recommend any more. Captain Cooks was fine. I miss the self-service food ordering kiosks but the people at the registers were efficient. One soda machine was down for a few days but is working again.

-The newly refurbished Lava Pool is great. If you have small kids they'll love the new play area. Haven't done the hot tub yet. Plenty of lounge chairs, little shade.

-The monorail track was hit by lightning on Thursday. It was down for a while. Bus transport from Poly to MK took 25 minutes -- standing room only. They were running extra boats at night, which was much faster.

-haven't been to Trader Sam's but the outside seating area is very nice.

-Love the new GCH lobby. Yes the old fountain was unique/cool, but the new Tiki water feature is very well done. The globe lights that hang above it from the ceiling are perfect.

-Staff friendly, helpful. We had a problem with our reservation but one of the CM's was very good about fixing it to our satisfaction.

-We were able to put an allowance on our teens Magic Bands. They had fun paying for stuff that way.

-Magic Bands have been working flawlessly. Room, parks, paying for stuff -- worked, worked, worked. One time my MIL tried to buy some fried dough in MK and it didn't "go green" but the CM said "I think it's my reader -- you're all set" and so free fried dough.

-Took bus to and from DTD to Poly. Usually this is painful. This time it went very smoothly. Waited about 12-15 min for a bus to DTD. Took about 20 min to get to DTD. Not terrible. On way back waited about 5 min (felt like an hour in the sun lol) for a bus and the ride back felt shorter than 20. Love how convenient Moorea is to bus stop and TTC. (Edit: just checked time stamps on my iPhone. Waited 9 min for bus at DTD and ride took 16 min to Poly! That's like a world record for us DTD-Poly)

That's all for now. Gotta get some sleep for Epcot tomorrow.

Some observations:

-The entire resort looks freshly painted on the outside. Maybe it's my imagination but the resort from the outside looks better than I've ever seen it since our first family trip in 2007.

-Looks like they are in the process of replacing pathway lights with a new style. Looks mostly done, some aren't working yet and a few paths need more lights. I'll try to get a pic.

-The tiki torches mostly are lit at night. Some aren't working. I've also seen them on during the day (testing?)

-There were 2 cherry pickers near the East (Quiet) Pool the past few days. They were making ad hoc repairs to the balconies of several long houses . The safety beeping when they moved was a bit much, but I think they moved on today.

-The GCH looks great. We've eaten at 'Ohana, Captain Cooks and Kona. Service at Kona was super slow, the food was very good tho (breakfast). 'Ohana breakfast was ok. It's a tradition for us, but otherwise I don't know if I'd recommend any more. Captain Cooks was fine. I miss the self-service food ordering kiosks but the people at the registers were efficient. One soda machine was down for a few days but is working again.

-The newly refurbished Lava Pool is great. If you have small kids they'll love the new play area. Haven't done the hot tub yet. Plenty of lounge chairs, little shade.

-The monorail track was hit by lightning on Thursday. It was down for a while. Bus transport from Poly to MK took 25 minutes -- standing room only. They were running extra boats at night, which was much faster.

-Love the new GCH lobby. Yes the old fountain was unique/cool, but the new Tiki water feature is very well done. The globe lights that hang above it from the ceiling are perfect.

-Staff friendly, helpful. We had a problem with our reservation but one of the CM's was very good about fixing it to our satisfaction.

-We were able to put an allowance on our teens Magic Bands. They had fun paying for stuff that way.

-Magic Bands have been working flawlessly. Room, parks, paying for stuff -- worked, worked, worked. One time my MIL tried to buy some fried dough in MK and it didn't "go green" but the CM said "I think it's my reader -- you're all set" and so free fried dough.

-Took bus to and from DTD to Poly. Usually this is painful. This time it went very smoothly. Waited about 12-15 min for a bus to DTD. Took about 20 min to get to DTD. Not terrible. On way back waited about 5 min (felt like an hour in the sun lol) for a bus and the ride back felt shorter than 20. Love how convenient Moorea is to bus stop and TTC. (Edit: just checked time stamps on my iPhone. Waited 9 min for bus at DTD and ride took 16 min to Poly! That's like a world record for us DTD-Poly)

Thank you for the review!!
Are you lake view or standard/garden view? How do like your view? Thank you!

I had heard about the monorail track being fried by a lightning strike. I wonder how often this happens?

We are hoping it runs smoothly when we are there but are preparing ourselves for delays

I wish I could agree. I truly do. BUT...... as a paying resort guest with no other family member at another resort to even consider going to if the Poly pool was crowded, I selfishly would want first dibs at seating. Although there may be empty chairs available, the tables and real chairs (and umbrella) are few and far between. It only takes a couple of non guests to use up those amenities (not guaranteeing that I would even get one without the pool hopping). Of course my heart goes out to the MIL undergoing surgery and I would fully give up my table if I even had one in that situation, but the every day family members staying elsewhere should not be at a pool where the rules clearly state you must be a resort guest. I just dont get why CMs are still being asked. Im sure they feel awkward saying no..especially if its not crowded, but that doesnt mean in 10 minutes a bunch of resort guests will come back from the park and want to go for a swim, or, like me...just sit in the shade and get off my feet for a bit.

And.....if they dont allow it when it is crowded, but do allow it when its not crowded, then it will become crowded and always be crowded. Do I never get a quiet day at the pool?

To the family with ill MIL, Im very sorry and best wishes for a smooth surgery.
Yeah....it's clearly a debated topic. I just want everyone to have the best time ever on vacation. I'm not going to worry about pool hopping but if the pool is really crowded, then it will pop into my head....for sure. But...in reality I'm not going to let my vacation be spoiled. I may not be able to control pool hopping....but I can control what bothers me or decide to just let it go. Thanks for your opinion.

I had heard about the monorail track being fried by a lightning strike. I wonder how often this happens?

We are hoping it runs smoothly when we are there but are preparing ourselves for delays

I have heard the monorail is undergoing refurb. There are certain days and times it will not be fully operational.

Walt Disney World Monorail Undergoing Refurbishment Throughout Rest Of 2015
APRIL 20, 2015 BY DOCTOR DISNEY LEAVE A COMMENT
The Walt Disney World Monorail System is going to be undergoing some refurbishment, and the work looks like it could continue throughout the rest of 2015.

Walt Disney World has updated the refurbishment schedule to include the Monorail, and no exact dates are being given. All that is known is:

• Current through December 2015
Some Guests have stated that when booking Walt Disney World trips for the fall and winter, they are being advised of this issue. Those staying on the Monorail line are being told that some delays may happen and that extra bus and boat transportation will be made available.

Per Disney:

The Walt Disney World® Resort Monorail System is undergoing refurbishment and may be on modified service and/or routes. If Guests plan to use this form of transportation during their visit they should check to be sure of the best option available on their day of travel, as alternative transportation options will be available.

Some observations:

Thanks for all the info! Very much appreciated, as I'm sure it is by the rest of us Poly-lovers! :thumbsup2

There are two smallish drawers and a few cubbies in the vanity in the bathroom with the toilet. Larger bathroom, smaller vanity. Honestly, there is too much wasted space in this bathroom. You could fit a tall dresser in it, no exaggeration.

In the other bathroom there are 2 drawers and similar cubbies in the vanity -- the bottom drawer here is decent size and would be good for small clothing items: socks, undies, bathing suit. But not big enough for shirts, shorts, etc.

There is a little room in the closet too, but not much. There is a safe, ironing board, iron, pack n play, and bag with extra pillow/blanket. There is a rod and there are hangers -- maybe a dozen.

Some of our stuff including a suitcase fits under the Murphy bed when open.

We found we needed the open space under the end of the queen sized bed for the pillows from the sleeper couch when open. Otherwise you could fit a suitcase or two under there.

There is also a chest/rolling table thing that opens and you can put stuff in there. It's large enough for a rolling duffel.

I guess we could request some items be removed from the closet to get extra room for our suitcases, etc. And would they provide extra hangers, upon request, or are guests expected to bring their own?

How specific should a room request be for the Poly?

We just want to be away from construction noise if possible, and on a top floor.

Some observations:

THANKS for your detailed update!:thumbsup2 HAVE A GREAT VACA!:banana: EXCITED for our Oct. Poly stay!:hyper:

Will the monorail refurbishment be an issue during the month of October for Poly guests?

Most likely, though everything Ive seen so far is minimal...

See my post above, and also below.

It is already known that the Walt Disney World Monorail System will be undergoing refurbishment at different times throughout the end of 2015. Now, at least we know a little more of how it will be, at least into the summer.

Both the Epcot and Resort Monorail beams will be operating on a reduced schedule from Sunday through Wednesday. The Express Monorail beam will operate on a reduced schedule from Sunday through Friday.

According to WDWMagic, these changes went into place as of May 3, 2015, and they are expected to continue until sometime into July.

Here is how things will go for the coming months:

Resort Beam
  • Sunday: 7am to 12:00am
  • Monday: 8:30am to 12:00am
  • Tuesday: 8:30am to 12:00am
  • Wednesday: 8:30am to 12:00am
  • Thursday to Saturday – regular hours (7am until 1 hour after regular hours park closing at the Magic Kingdom)
Epcot Beam
  • Sunday: 8am to 11pm
  • Monday: 9am to 11pm
  • Tuesday: 9am to 11pm
  • Wednesday: 9am to 11pm
  • Thursday to Saturday – regular hours (8am until 2 hours after regular hours park closing)
Express Beam
  • Sunday: 8:30am to 11:30pm
  • Monday: 9:30am to 11:30pm
  • Tuesday: 9:30am to 11:30pm
  • Wednesday: 9:30am to 12:00am
  • Thursday: 8:30am to 11:30am, 6pm to 1am
  • Friday: 8:30am to 11:30am, 6pm to 1am
  • Saturday – regular hours (30 minutes prior to Magic Kingdom opening until 1 hour after regular hours park closing)
There will be additional boat and bus transportation made available to Guests while the Monorail system is being worked on.

Most likely, though everything Ive seen so far is minimal...

See my post above, and also below.

It is already known that the Walt Disney World Monorail System will be undergoing refurbishment at different times throughout the end of 2015. Now, at least we know a little more of how it will be, at least into the summer.

Both the Epcot and Resort Monorail beams will be operating on a reduced schedule from Sunday through Wednesday. The Express Monorail beam will operate on a reduced schedule from Sunday through Friday.

According to WDWMagic, these changes went into place as of May 3, 2015, and they are expected to continue until sometime into July.

Here is how things will go for the coming months:

Resort Beam
  • Sunday: 7am to 12:00am
  • Monday: 8:30am to 12:00am
  • Tuesday: 8:30am to 12:00am
  • Wednesday: 8:30am to 12:00am
  • Thursday to Saturday – regular hours (7am until 1 hour after regular hours park closing at the Magic Kingdom)
Epcot Beam
  • Sunday: 8am to 11pm
  • Monday: 9am to 11pm
  • Tuesday: 9am to 11pm
  • Wednesday: 9am to 11pm
  • Thursday to Saturday – regular hours (8am until 2 hours after regular hours park closing)
Express Beam
  • Sunday: 8:30am to 11:30pm
  • Monday: 9:30am to 11:30pm
  • Tuesday: 9:30am to 11:30pm
  • Wednesday: 9:30am to 12:00am
  • Thursday: 8:30am to 11:30am, 6pm to 1am
  • Friday: 8:30am to 11:30am, 6pm to 1am
  • Saturday – regular hours (30 minutes prior to Magic Kingdom opening until 1 hour after regular hours park closing)
There will be additional boat and bus transportation made available to Guests while the Monorail system is being worked on.

So let's say you want to get to Epcot from Poly on a Mon. It doesn't start going until 9am? So how would someone get there by rope drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter