(Almost) Solo in May - Update 11/17 - Not sure if I'd call that Pixie Dust!

brookelizabeth

Jambo Wildbunch Gang
Hello everyone and welcome to my newest Trip Report, "(Almost) Solo in May". I went to Disney World by myself May 28-June 1. A good friend of mine came for the first two nights, and I met up with some fellow-DISers during the last two days; hence being almost solo.

During this short trip I took absolutely NO notes.

And I have been back to the World since - so my mind is a bit muddled on what exactly went on during this particular trip...as a result, I've chosen to simply make this a "picture report". I will share details in what I remember, but don't expect much! ;) I also had our cheap camera with, and the batteries died one day... I am currently writing another TR (link in signature), crossing my fingers I can keep up on two...

If you are still interested, please sit back and enjoy the ride!

Table of Contents
Intro - you are reading it!
No husband, no child = LET'S SHOP!
Starting the Trip off Right!
Trekking through the Jungle part one, part two
More Animal Kingdom
Magic Kingdom
Running with the Bulls at DHS
The World Showcase
Not sure if I'd call that Pixie Dust!

In case you are new around these parts, my name is Brook, I live in Queens, NY, I am a Travel Agent (specializing in Disney vacations of course!) and a Momma. My friend Sarah works at NYU and has been to Disney once before, for just 2 days on her honeymoon (it was kind of a layover between countries they visited). She works very hard and was as equally excited about girl-time as I was!

My trip started with me saying good-bye to my DH Joe and DS Henry. Thankfully no tears were shed from any of us, I had prepared Henry that I was going away, but he and Daddy would have plenty of fun without me (and they did)!

I was soon rolling my suitcase down the sidewalk to the bus stop.

IMG2902-L.jpg

I was attempting to make an earlier flight that would land me closer to Sarah's arrival, so she would not be stuck at the airport waiting for hours. I have never flown stand-by but figured it was worth a shot!

At the airport I was denied a spot on the flight leaving earlier, unless I wanted to pay $50. But I was not deterred. I would ask at the gate.

I stopped to grab some yogurt and overpriced pizza

IMG2903-L.jpg

and asked at the gate.

Denied again. Unless I wanted to pay $50.

I sat down in the front row seat to the gate and waited. Soon, the early flight started to board without me.

IMG2904-L.jpg

Sigh. I would be waiting here for 2 more hours. At least I had a good book!

I accepted my fate.

But then, a family rushed up. I could slightly overhear them begging the gate attendant to let them on the earlier flight....and....HE DID! Without any charges!

Well, if they can, then why can't I?

So I asked again.

And was allowed on!

I was elated and mad at the same time. They tried to charge me $50 twice - nice. :sad2: Delta airlines is not my favorite airline, and they didn't win any props from me that day either.

But, I pushed it aside, I was on the flight!

IMG2905-L.jpg

And it was EMPTY. Very, very empty!

I enjoyed my book and airline snacks and soon was seeing

IMG2906-L.jpg

On the fake monorail

IMG0028-L.jpg

I had some time before Sarah's arrival (she was coming in from Newark), so what to do?

IMG0029-L.jpg

Chick-Fil-A OF COURSE!

Belly full I found a comfy spot, pulled out the book and waited.

After she arrived we were soon at

IMG0030-L.jpg

Our hotel of choice was All Star Movies. I had rented out our DVC points to try and stay at a Value resort because I hadn't had very much experience with them -- and first hand experience is the best way I learn -- so this was, in ways, also a work/research trip.

IMG0032-L.jpg

We were assigned a room in the Love Bug (Herbie) section. It was an older style room, they were (and still are) in the process of renovating the rooms. I got to see a newer room later in the trip, so stay tuned for that!

IMG0038-L.jpg

IMG0036-L.jpg

IMG0035-L.jpg

IMG0039-L.jpg

IMG0040-L.jpg

IMG0041-L.jpg

Nice disco pose, eh?

IMG0042-L.jpg

IMG0048-L.jpg

IMG0045-L.jpg

IMG0046-L.jpg

IMG0047-L.jpg

While the room wasn't bad, it was definitely showing wear. I was happy to hear they were refurbing - it was due. Sarah and I both laughed at that TINY tube TV! My how times have changed...

I love almost solo trips! Can't wait to read and see more!!!!

WooHoo....Ive never been on page one before:cool1:
I had to go back and look at the picture of the tv. That is very funny! Cant wait to see all about your trip! Thanks for the heads up!

Gotta love those almost solo trips! Oh I so want Chick-Fil-A for dinner but sadly there are none near me. :sad2:

YAYAYAY!!! Thanks for the Bat Signal!! Can't wait to hear about this "almost" solo trip...Love your TRs!!!

Great start Brook.

We are not fans of Delta either. And with all those empty seats, why the heck would they wnat to charge you $50 to get on the flight?

We stayed at All Star Sports once...just wasn't for us. I'm curious to think of what you thought of it.

Yeah... I'm here!! (wow... first page too) I was a bit bummed that my DH Henry won't let me book spring break week yet because he hasn't found out if he will be able to get off work. Now, this man has nearly 3 months of vacation time accrued up from over the years... so if he can't go because other people want to go that same week, I will be very upset.... but I'm gaining confidence from your (nearly) solo trip and thinking of booking it anyway. I've got a boat load of extra banked points for next use year (Dec 1) so it would be a shame not to. Then I'll just gather some friends to come with DD Heidi and me. :cool1:

Another reader!
AND after going back to read....
I spy with my little eye, some gifts for those DISers that you were going to meet up with!!!

Thanks for the heads up on FB. Subbed but gotta come back later to read. I'm really looking forward to this TR.

I'm in! Loved your ASMovie video! I hope you post that soon!

So did you REALLY rent out your points so you could stay value or did it just work out that way?

At any rate I am glad you are getting some first hand experience at ASMovies.

Too weird about the airplane thing. Maybe he had to get the green light to change peoples flights and you asked too early. Good thing you asked again!

I'm here! Can't wait to see more pictures of your (almost) solo trip.

Glad there were no tears from the boys when mommy left and even happier that Joe and Henry had a lot of fun together while you were gone.

I love your disco pose!

Thank you for the heads up on your new TR. :goodvibes

I have to say I've never had a desire to stay at any of the All Stars except The Pop. I loved the POP! Thanks for taking one for the team! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter