• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Almond milk?

Has there been one milk thread that doesn't turn angry? popcorn::

I wasn't aware milk was such a controversial subject. :confused3

Me neither!
I can highly recommend the virgin piña coladas though!!

Has there been one milk thread that doesn't turn angry? popcorn::

I wasn't aware milk was such a controversial subject. :confused3

OP I would not count on Almond being on the ship unless you bring it. I don't think it's worth switching to soy or trying soy just for the cruise. Personally I am against adding anymore soy into my child's diet than other foods already sneak in there, but that's just my opinion. I have read before where if you email or call DCL and let them know your child will only drink almond milk and so you will be bringing some with you they can find you an actual mini fridge for your room instead of the cooling boxes. So if your little one doesn't drink a shelf stable brand of almond getting an actual fridge for DCL to keep what you bring cold might be your best option.

DD7 only drinks almond milk or for her cereal and I had considered bringing our own and asking for a fridge. But she's 7 and it's a lot easier to let her stray away from her norm than a 20 month old. Best to keep your little one as close to their normal as possible at their age. Big difference between telling a 7 year old they don't have your regular brand or flavor of something, pick another option than trying to explain that to a 20 month old.

I don't know which ship OP is cruising on, but only the Magic & Wonder have the cooling boxes. The Dream & Fantasy have real fridges in the room.

The OP has a 20 month old child. 20 month olds need fat and protein, the two things almond milk lacks.

Almond Milk is a "healthier" option for adults looking for a milk substitute who are ALSO watching their diets.

And to the rest of you people out there slamming me, give it a rest. I was not lecturing. I was providing an opinion from one mother to another mother. My kids eat yogurt every day. The cruise didn't have "their" brand or flavor. They survived a week without the stupid yogurt. It is not worth the effort involved to try to change your child's food preferences to accommodate a few days on vacation when it is not out of nutritional necessity.

My child cannot drink cow's milk or soy milk. Both cause diarrhea and vomiting. He can, however, tolerate almond milk, so I now cook with it and he can drink it or have with cereal if he chooses. When he was a toddler he took a calcium supplement and got his good fats and proteins from non dairy foods. Almond milk is not just for adults.

My DD will be 22 mo on our cruise in December and cannot have cows milk so I contacted DCL special services about goat's milk on board. They indicated that they would contact the Fantasy to see if they can get it for us but they did confirm that I can bring fresh goats milk on board and store in our room fridge. Because it is considered a medical thing they can keep the milk in the medical fridge at guest services until we get our room. They have soy and rice milk on board but I will not give DD soy and rice milk does not have the nutrition that she needs (and I seem to recall that rice milk should not be given to young kids... I can't remember the exact reason why). I would contact special services to see what they can do. They were extremely accommodating when I spoke with them and really were wonderful to deal with.

Thank you all for the input. I didn't want to use soy, as I know it's not great for anyone.
I think I'll just skip "milk" for the time we're cruising. He doesn't drink a lot of it, a few ounces every couple of days. It's not a source of anything for him. (He hates cow milk, no allergies thankfully) If there is water or watered down juice he will choose that. :)

I didn't know that about almond milk for the little ones. Glad I learned something. We don't drink it straight either, just for cereal or cooking.

Just for reference where are you all finding the single serve cartons? Store/ location? Thanks

Thank you all for the input. I didn't want to use soy, as I know it's not great for anyone.
I think I'll just skip "milk" for the time we're cruising. He doesn't drink a lot of it, a few ounces every couple of days. It's not a source of anything for him. (He hates cow milk, no allergies thankfully) If there is water or watered down juice he will choose that. :)

I didn't know that about almond milk for the little ones. Glad I learned something. We don't drink it straight either, just for cereal or cooking.

Just for reference where are you all finding the single serve cartons? Store/ location? Thanks

I'd never even heard of almond milk so I learnt something new too!!!

Try here:
http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/store-finder

I don't know which ship OP is cruising on, but only the Magic & Wonder have the cooling boxes. The Dream & Fantasy have real fridges in the room.

Good to know! We've only been on the Wonder and the cooling boxes. While nice, they do only keep things "cool."

My 7-year-old DS has autism and ADHD so I have tried to limit his dairy recently, and have switched over all of us to almond milk. Although I normally buy Blue Diamond, I did buy these Silk brand single-serving 4-pack from Walmart recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Silk-Vanilla-...377990567&sr=1-7&keywords=silk+vanilla+4+pack

I am not sure if I will bring some on board or just let my DS have cow's milk. He only drinks milk or water - no juice or anything else.

Good to know! We've only been on the Wonder and the cooling boxes. While nice, they do only keep things "cool."

We've only sailed on the Magic & Wonder and the cooling boxes are really hit and miss. Most of them just keep things cooler than the ambient room temperature (that is to say just a little). We've had a couple of the cooling boxes that did a really good job (had ice crystals in our drinks in there) and one cooling box was just an insulated box. We had to keep the ice bucket in there to keep things cool (much like a cooler you use for camping).

Most grocery stores have it in the organic or healthy living section. The nice thing is that they aren't in the refrigerated section, so they travel well. You can just chill as needed. They usually have the vanilla and dark chocolate (yum!!) in the single serve 8oz cartons.

So has anyone been served Almond Milk on the Magic? I called and they said it was available but only at the full service restuarants. Better than nothing but would be great to get in by room service. Unfortunately my 16 month old does not like water and I don't want him to dehydrate.

I called about getting Almond Milk on the Wonder for my 3 year old because he can't drink regular milk and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I didn't even think after I was told that that it might not end up being there. I guess if they don't have it he can drink water but he will miss his milk I'm sure.

He only gets juice at daycare occasionally I don't really buy it for home so I'm sure getting a little bit of that each day will be a treat for him if they don't have his milk.

We were on the Wonder Repo last year and were only able to get regular soy milk or vanilla. My niece was use to chocolate and wouldn't drink the vanilla.

I'd bring some Almond Milk if you think you can't live without it. I would not count on the ship to have it.

They also didn't have Hershey's chocolate syrup which we would have been able add to the regular soy milk to make it chocolate.

I don't know if it was because the ship was up in Alaska/Vancouver and they couldn't get the supplies they normally have. The head server did chat with us quite a bit as my niece was not happy about the food selections. She and I were both use to WDW and how they do dairy free food.

Do they let you bring your own cartons on? Like the 6 pack cartons? Does it go in carry on or checked?? Thanks OP for asking my question :)

Since it's sealed and shelf stable - you can carry on as much as you want. You are supposed to carry it on like all liquids though, not put it in checked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter