• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Almond milk?

Mel0215

Mouseketeer
Does anybody know if you can get almond milk on board? It's the only "milk" my 20 month old will drink. Or should I try to see if he will drink soy milk just for the cruise? Thanks! :)

Soy, yes, rice, yes.
Shoreside concierge even told me they can't get us almond milk.
You can always bring the almond single serves with you.

When we were on the Magic, they were able to get some at one of the ports.... I forget which one.

Just forgo milk. Almond milk is not milk. There is shockingly little nutritional value to it, especially for kids. Just take your child off milk altogether. No one really needs to drink milk. I would forgo milk before giving my child soy milk, FWIW. Just get him used to water or a common type of juice as an alternative. OJ, Apple, or Cranberry juice is available on the cruises.

Bring it with you. That's my plan. I've read here that it's hit or miss. So if almond milk is that important, than just bring it. I would not attempt to get my baby accustomed to soy if he normally drinks almond just for a cruise. Who knows what reaction he might have to soy (it's a highly allergic food) or if he would readily go back to almond. I'd just bring it.

Just forgo milk. Almond milk is not milk. There is shockingly little nutritional value to it, especially for kids. Just take your child off milk altogether. No one really needs to drink milk. I would forgo milk before giving my child soy milk, FWIW. Just get him used to water or a common type of juice as an alternative. OJ, Apple, or Cranberry juice is available on the cruises.

OP was asking a question as to whether almond milk was onboard, not for a lecture on how to feed her child.

I was wondering this too about the almond milk on board since I am dairy free this is what I have in my cereal and drink. I bet if you email them and let them know that is all your son will drink I bet they will get you some. I've been reading on here where people email them about their allergies they go all out.

I was wondering this too about the almond milk on board since I am dairy free this is what I have in my cereal and drink. I bet if you email them and let them know that is all your son will drink I bet they will get you some. I've been reading on here where people email them about their allergies they go all out.

my son is casein free and takes almond and soy milk when it suits him :) I wasn't convinced they would have it or they would have the *brand* he likes so I just brought my own- it was much simpler that way and i didn't have to stress about it. They had soy on board but no almond milk that I know of.

PrincessShmoo said:
OP was asking a question as to whether almond milk was onboard, not for a lecture on how to feed her child.

I wasn't lecturing. The OP mentioned trying to switch her son to soy milk instead. I was simply pointing out how unnecessary that is, simply for a cruise. A few days without "milk" is not a big deal. Particularly when speaking of a beverage that is not even actually milk.

This is not baby formula we are talking about here. Almond milk is not this child's sole source of nutrition.

I wasn't lecturing. The OP mentioned trying to switch her son to soy milk instead. I was simply pointing out how unnecessary that is, simply for a cruise. A few days without "milk" is not a big deal. Particularly when speaking of a beverage that is not even actually milk.

This is not baby formula we are talking about here. Almond milk is not this child's sole source of nutrition.

Again, the OP did NOT ask for the nutritional value or anything else you interjected.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

I am planning on bringing the single serving containers of regular and chocolate almond milk for myself! You gotta have something to wash down those warm cookies from room service! :thumbsup2

I wish I could find coconut milk (not canned) in individual containers...that's my favorite!:confused3

I drink coffee because I like it not because it provides any nutritional value. But I assure you I'm not giving it up for one day, let alone a whole cruise. Same principle - the OP asking about Almond Milk, not if it was providing any nutritional value.

DLgal said:

I see what your saying... I am not sure why people want to bash others on these boards. You offered up information, the OP did ask about trying Soy prior to the cruise you gave her great information to consider.

I am a Mountain Dew drinker. There is no nutritional value at all. Only that its my calming juice... I tried a cruise without it the very first stop I went into a store to buy it. Mommy was at ease the rest of vacation (so were the restnof the family)

To OP if the Almond "Milk" is your kids calming juice just bring it with you. I know how I am without a mountain dew. If its not I am sure he will be fine with other choices, water juice etc.. so to each their own.

For everyone else that lectured DLgal did you offer any suggestion s for the OP or just add to the negativity???

For everyone else that lectured DLgal did you offer any suggestion s for the OP or just add to the negativity???

Lectured her? She did the lecturing. Even TOLD the op what to do, not suggested or offered an alternative. Lol!!! You are funny.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

:thumbsup2

I see what your saying... I am not sure why people want to bash others on these boards. You offered up information, the OP did ask about trying Soy prior to the cruise you gave her great information to consider.

I am a Mountain Dew drinker. There is no nutritional value at all. Only that its my calming juice... I tried a cruise without it the very first stop I went into a store to buy it. Mommy was at ease the rest of vacation (so were the restnof the family)

To OP if the Almond "Milk" is your kids calming juice just bring it with you. I know how I am without a mountain dew. If its not I am sure he will be fine with other choices, water juice etc.. so to each their own.

You do know that Mountain Dew is incredibly high in caffeine, and that's why you're a wreck without it? Caffeine withdrawal. I can't go without my coffee for the same reason.

I would also add to the OP, that I am someone who drinks Almond Milk because I have issues with regular milk. I drank Rice milk at first, but it was too high in carbohydrates, so I tried Soy milk for a while. I found that I had all sorts of digestive issues with the Soy milk that went away when I switched to Almond Milk. I agree with those who said it's probably best not to introduce Soy milk to your child. If anything, I'd go to Rice milk, which it seems DCL does carry. Or bring your own almond milk.

Sayhello

my son is casein free and takes almond and soy milk when it suits him :) I wasn't convinced they would have it or they would have the *brand* he likes so I just brought my own- it was much simpler that way and i didn't have to stress about it. They had soy on board but no almond milk that I know of.

Thanks. I will check in to this before I go. I use it mostly in my cereal which I doubt I will be eating cereal for breakfast while I'm on the cruise. LOL :)

sayhello said:
:thumbsup2

You do know that Mountain Dew is incredibly high in caffeine, and that's why you're a wreck without it? Caffeine withdrawal. I can't go without my coffee for the same reason.

I would also add to the OP, that I am someone who drinks Almond Milk because I have issues with regular milk. I drank Rice milk at first, but it was too high in carbohydrates, so I tried Soy milk for a while. I found that I had all sorts of digestive issues with the Soy milk that went away when I switched to Almond Milk. I agree with those who said it's probably best not to introduce Soy milk to your child. If anything, I'd go to Rice milk, which it seems DCL does carry. Or bring your own almond milk.

Sayhello

Yes.. I know lol... but a coke just wont do...and cant stand coffee. .. haha... my degree and background is in sport nutrition. . I dont lead by example any longer...my kids put a stop to that! well, really no will power....

cruisecrasher said:
I have been told by DCL that despite my DD dairy allergy, they are unable to guaranty almond milk onboard although rice and soy will be available.
For those curious about nutritional comparison
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-healthier-choice-almond-milk-vs-milk.html#b

The OP has a 20 month old child. 20 month olds need fat and protein, the two things almond milk lacks.

Almond Milk is a "healthier" option for adults looking for a milk substitute who are ALSO watching their diets.

And to the rest of you people out there slamming me, give it a rest. I was not lecturing. I was providing an opinion from one mother to another mother. My kids eat yogurt every day. The cruise didn't have "their" brand or flavor. They survived a week without the stupid yogurt. It is not worth the effort involved to try to change your child's food preferences to accommodate a few days on vacation when it is not out of nutritional necessity.

Has there been one milk thread that doesn't turn angry? popcorn::

I wasn't aware milk was such a controversial subject. :confused3

OP I would not count on Almond being on the ship unless you bring it. I don't think it's worth switching to soy or trying soy just for the cruise. Personally I am against adding anymore soy into my child's diet than other foods already sneak in there, but that's just my opinion. I have read before where if you email or call DCL and let them know your child will only drink almond milk and so you will be bringing some with you they can find you an actual mini fridge for your room instead of the cooling boxes. So if your little one doesn't drink a shelf stable brand of almond getting an actual fridge for DCL to keep what you bring cold might be your best option.

DD7 only drinks almond milk or for her cereal and I had considered bringing our own and asking for a fridge. But she's 7 and it's a lot easier to let her stray away from her norm than a 20 month old. Best to keep your little one as close to their normal as possible at their age. Big difference between telling a 7 year old they don't have your regular brand or flavor of something, pick another option than trying to explain that to a 20 month old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter