All Things Being Equal, Would You Fly or Drive?

DiznEeyore

<font color=navy>Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member<br><fon
We're seriously considering a last-minute trip the first week of November to WDW before dh starts a new job and has no vacation time. I have the money all saved up and as it turns out, driving and flying would cost almost exactly the same.

I'm a little worried about flying because it would be on Northwest, and they're on the ropes. With the mechanics on strike, the bankruptcy .... they're laying off 500 flight attendants based here in Detroit. Plus, my dh drives for a limo company and yesterday at Metro they cancelled a bunch of NW flights. And ... I always end up with a migraine from flying. But we get there in 2-1/2 hours vs. 19 (over 2 days) of driving!!

The downside of driving (besides the hours in the car) are the concerns about gas prices, especially once Rita hits this weekend.

Any thoughts?? All opinions will be appreciated, as we have to make up our minds this weekend! :)

Sing it with me!

"I'm leaving on a jet plane..."

Anne

NWA is the only option? Are there any other airports you might fly out of?

I definitely say fly. I'm in Ohio and I drove it in Feb. Granted, I was driving alone w/ 2 kids, but it was still a haul and I LOVE to roadtrip. I've just decided that from now on, if I can at all swing it, I'll fly.

graygables said:
NWA is the only option? Are there any other airports you might fly out of?
Northwest is the cheapest (even over Spirit, surprisingly!) .... and Detroit Metro is the closest. Otherwise, we'd have to drive to Flint, which is a couple of hours in the wrong direction. ;)

I will fly as well.
Will your DH be the only person driving? What does he think?

Fly! Even if your flight is delayed, it probably won't take 19+ hours.

I vote flying. While NWA is cutting flights, DTW/MCO isn't going to be drastically cut as most airlines can fill an MCO flight, especially from their hub. If you were flying out of a small town where NWA was the only service and had a couple of flights each day, then I'd worry about booking. But they will always have flights to DTW from MCO. We have tickets on Delta in October and I'm not too worried about losing service with them and I'm not in a hub.

If you have the money and the vacation time, do it. Driving will only make you distressed over the price of gas as you compare it across the country. With DME and resort transport, you wouldn't even have to think about a Gas station the whole time, and that alone could make the vacation worth it.

While I know it is MUCH worse in urban areas, $45 for 15 gallons of gas in southern indiana really hurt yesterday. Being at Disney can take the pain away, even just for a moment.

fac said:
I will fly as well.
Will your DH be the only person driving? What does he think?
He and I would take turns driving. He doesn't mind driving (tho' I think he'd rather fly). He just knows how horrible I feel the first night after flying (last year I was lying on the floor of our room, wishing for death, LOL!) and is willing to drive for my head's sake. ;)

I'm a little confused, you say Flint is two hours in the wrong direction...it's only an hour from DTW. DH and I flew into DTW last February, and picked up a friend who flew into Flint on the way to our hotel. It was an hour, and an easy drive.

And after the experience, NEVER AGAIN, I'll fly into Chicago or Cleveland and drive the rest of the way before I ever fly into that armpit DTW again.

Anne

ducklite said:
I'm a little confused, you say Flint is two hours in the wrong direction...it's only an hour from DTW. DH and I flew into DTW last February, and picked up a friend who flew into Flint on the way to our hotel. It was an hour, and an easy drive.
I was referring to the distance between where we live and Flint, not the distance from DTW to Bishop. Flint is more than an hour away from us ... closer to two, especially if you hit the traffic that's very common on I-75. You were fortunate to have an easy drive. I've been going up north my entire life and if we're lucky, we hit Flint in 90 minutes.

I say fly, too. It's the 2.5 hours compared to 2 days that does it for me. What about SWA? We've been watching all the airlines and would consider driving to DTW for a good fare.

Sandi said:
I say fly, too. It's the 2.5 hours compared to 2 days that does it for me. What about SWA? We've been watching all the airlines and would consider driving to DTW for a good fare.
Unfortunately, Southwest doesn't fly to MCO from DTW non-stop, at least not anytime I've checked (and I checked for this trip, too). :(

For me, it's fly, fly, fly. After driving from NY to FL 3 years in a row, I am so happy to be flying! We also have a 19 (+/-) drive. Either of our vehicles only get about 17miles/gallon (highway miles). With gas prices as they are, it would cost a lot more to drive. (We got tix on JetBlue for $566.40 for 3ppl going the 1st of Feb) I don't think we could drive for that.

For you, I guess you have to consider what is more important. Have you done a pros & cons list? Just how bad is that headache? Is there any way to prevent it? Maybe talk to your doctor? Good luck!

All things being equal?! If one could drive from Michigan to Florida in 2.5 hours, and it was just as safe as flying, and if someone were doing the driving for you, then it would be a toss-up.

But as it is, FLY!! (And rent a car when you get there.)

We fly out of DTW all the time and book on either Spirit or NWA. The prices are always changing but we usually get seats for around 54 - 79 per segment.

Air Trans starts a DTW-MCO run in November (I think) so that will help to keep the fares low.

I love the drive down the I75, but flying is really the only way to go.

Current flight in October on NWA is $252.00 total return for two of us. Another tip is to fly inbound/outbound on Tues, Wed, Thurs. These days usually offer the best fares.

Footnote: Keep checking lmcarrental.net for econonomy class cars for as low as $12.00 per day/$69.00 per week. They fluctuate alot so you have to keep checking. This rate is usually available 55 - 75 days in advance.

Allow me to take an opposing view by saying we prefer to drive. It is an 18 hour drive from here in central Missouri. My two adult daughters and I took turns driving through the night and arriving in Orlando mid-morning. Driving to the St. Louis airport, parking, going through security,Etc. would only have saved us several hours not to mention lots of money. I know driving is not for everyone but I love to drive and detest how airlines treat us.
We will not drive at night next time as it is boring and tiring. We left the PoP Century at 7:30 in the morning and were home by Midnight CST. I drove the entire distance, so we will drive during daylight next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter