All that walking~shoes?

I wore my Crocs in January for most of our trip, on the days when I wore my Nike runners my feet were ready to drop off by the end of a long day at MK, but when I wore the crocs I coudn't even tell you that we had been walking at all! They were fantastic. The only downside was that if it rained my feet were filthy due to the holes in the crocs. But apart from that it's a big thumbs up from me!

Not so much advice on brands/types of shoes, but I :lovestruc shopping from www.zappos.com since they have a HUGE selection with free shipping on delivery and returns. They have a good variety of shoes in all widths, etc.

second the Zappos suggestion.... great selection; many with customer reviews, so you can get the good/bad from people who've worn them.... free shipping both ways, and a 365 day return policy (with restrictions, of course.. bascially you'll want to wear them around indoors a bit to make sure they are right for you)

another vote here for a good running shoe.... many have a mesh-type design, so they breath very well during those hot days.... and while you might not have lots of $$$ to spend, definately don't skimp or take the bargin route with your shoes.... if your feet start to hurt, you end up changing the way you walk, which ends up causing aches/pains in your legs and back, and you end up miserable....

Just a friendly reminder to all you Croc wearers to be careful on the escalators. The teeth of the escalator can grab the bottom of your Crocs and not let go. Be safe all you Croc-wearing folks!:)

Since I don't feel the need to compete in any fashion contests while I am at Disney, sneakers and moisture wicking socks will do just fine for me! I will also be the girl with the fanny pack as well.......

and
what's comfortable for some tasks may not work for others. I know I need good support - and as hard as I try I cannot find good open airy shoes for walking - I usually wear a pair of walking or running shoes.

Other people have great arches - and they're much more comfortable in open shoes like crocs or sandals... their feet don't need the confined support that I do - and the air makes them feel cooler.

Other people can wear your basic flip flops and they're just fine - my feet scream in terror :scared1: just imagining walking around all day in those - but I can't fault others for wearing them if they feel fine.

If you don't do a lot of walking normally, try your most comfortable shoes on and walk for about 4 miles. If your feet feel fine - then wear them - even if other people say such-and-such shoe is best for them.

Bring a pair to switch off with, bring moleskin or other type of skin protector for unexpected blisters, put your feet up occassionally to give them a break and listen to them when they start to complain.

Some people swear by using deoderant or body glide to keep their feet from rubbing or chafing - it hasn't helped me but I know it helps others.

I take Brooks running shoes (with good walking socks), Tevas and Naot sandals. Last trip, I wore the running shoes once and the Tevas once. Naots are pricey, but they have several styles for wide feet. They're by far the most comfortable, supportive shoes I own, and the only time I've had them off in the last year was on days that it was too cold for sandals.

Good quality running/cross training shoes with good socks work best for me.
Never had problems with blisters or hot feet, but since I wear heavy steel toe boots to work all day my feet are plenty tough.

People recommend plenty of shoes and express concern about blisters. The biggest consideration is that you break in the shoes well before you leave for vacation.
My choice is a mesh top running shoe with a quality sock. Crocs have so many downsides, in my opinion, that I'm not even going to enumerate them. The only downside I see for running shoes is that they remain wet for some time after a water ride.

I either wear crocs (but the flip flop style called athens) or my running sneakers (I have a pair of new balance and a pair of asics I love).

Great minds.....this is what I wear too all summer long! I also wore the flip flops at the parks last year. :thumbsup2

Whatever you pick...just make sure that they are well broken in! Also, I took some Body Glide (looks like a deodarant stick found in the shoe section at sports stores--it's for rubbing and chafing) for DD and DH since they wore shoes that they weren't used to. It's a great thing to have just in case. Never had a problem with blisters at all!

I need to wear a supportive running shoes. My hubby does well with crocs, he forgot his sandles last trip and did fine in the crocs.

So different people do well with different shoes. You know your feet best. Do you need the support of a tennis shoe, or the air and breathing room of a croc?

Definitely bring some mole skin if you get a hot spot or blister. Once you feel a hot spot put the mole skin on. Then you will avoid a blister.

Two words: Duct Tape.

I'm a large guy, 350lbs, and it took me two days to develop almost incapacitating blisters on my feet in WDW. I was double socking (thin sock inside thick sock), but it didn't help.

Then, I learned how to duct tape my feet. At first, I was skeptical, but I'll guarantee you, if you duct tape properly, you will NEVER get a blister on your feet.

Marathon runners tape their feet. If it's good enough for a 27 mile run, it's good enough for an 11 mile hike back and forth through WDW.

The main idea is to get the areas that normally develop blisters. When I tape I put one piece across the ball of my foot, about an inch up each side, across the bottom. Then I use one piece on the heel, going vertically from the back of my heel, down, and over the bottom, to my arch. Then, I use another piece going horizontally across the back, making a cup on the bottom of heel, covering each side of the heel cup. That's normally all the tape it takes, 3 pieces per foot.

I use the cheap webbed kind you get from wallyworld, and I also shave the hairs on my feet to make removal a bit easier... yes, I'm THAT hairy.

And, we carry a roll with us in the park in case we need to retape. I have pictures somewhere of a retape session, but it's my wife, and I don't think she'd like it broadcast. Security doesn't even ask what the duct tape is for.

CM have asked us and said it's a great idea, when they see us retape. Sometimes, it takes a few days to 'get it right'... you know, you might think it's seated right, then something starts rubbing, and you have to correct or live with that blister the rest of the trip.

So, shoes for pain, duct tape for no blisters.

There's a reason running shoes are engineered and refined 1000s of times and that professional runners wear them. Some can wear flip flops or crocs, I usually can. But if you're actually concerned about your feet, they are not good shoes. Recommending them to someone is difficult too because again, they aren't quality shoes. They are meant to be light, they move around a lot (very easily cause blisters this way).

I usually wear flip flops, I have a pair of running shoes exclusively for running, and a pair I walk around in. I bring the ones I use for running to WDW because they are the best pair I have, and croc flip flops. I have regular crocs too, I don't bring them. I just checked this, and believe it or not, my running shoes (nike) are almost identical in weight to my regular crocs. If you want good shoes buy any of the well respected brands, nike, ascics, new balance etc., get cross trainers or runners, depending on the support you need, and you have to spend money to get quality support and lightness in shoes. I know people see shoes at 130 - 250 dollars and are like, thats ridiculous. But for all those croc lovers, if you think those feel nice, imagine the same weight with more support and a perfect fit. They also last for years if you're using them for athletics. Its like walking on firm pillows. Decent x trainers can be far less, and you probably won't care about the weight if you're not using them for certain things anyways.

I'm still trying to find the right shoe. I did find that I have to take a few different pairs and changing them seems to help. I have spinal stenious and some disk degeneration so if I can stop/prevent the pain then it's a good day.

our first trip last august I wore these tevas the whole trip and had absolutely no problems.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,96763_Teva-Terra-Fi-2-Sport-Sandals-Microban-For-Women.html

but for our trip in November I must have stepped off a curb wrong and walked funny to compensate, not realizing it and those shoes didn't help but my back up tevas were great.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,95374_Teva-Hurricane-Slide-Sandals-For-Women-.html

In January it was colder so I opted for a pair of rykas I picked up on ebay but they were the best. You can get them on qvc
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail

Now for our trip this June I'm still working on what to wear, I really didn't want to wear my rykas, I wanted something lighter in color and material, they are suede and as the weather is getting warmer so are they so I just picked up these but I need to work on breaking them in to see how they are going to do. I compared these to the other pair I have and they are basically the same shoe I wasn't able to really see any difference.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...ams.tpl.csweb.cm_scid.cswb.item.A95724.cc.202

and based on the reading somewhere I picked up a pair of chaco sandels that I'm wearing around the house.

My biggest issue is padding/cushioning. If there isn't enough it's not my back that hurts but my feet feel like they have been beaten up. So there's my saga of shoes I'm still trying to figure out the combination that going in June.

Good luck on your search, my advise is to start early and wear them in the house several times. I would go to higher end stores and find a shoe or brand that I had read about and figure out what size felt comforable and then research online to get a better price usually 1/2 of the store and take advantage of websites that offer free shipping/handling especially for return shipping. i returned at least 5 pairs before our trip last august.

I also make sure that when I get back to the room I take some advil and soak my feet if I can stay awake, lol and then rub down my feet with a peppermint lotion.

Crocs and Keen sandals is what I wear on my wide feet. No blisters since getting either...good fitted athletic shoes gave me blisters so bad by the first day I could barely hobble. Crocs and Keens work for me. I saw tonight that Airwalk has "fake" Keens, so I tried some on, and they do not fit like real Keens...the arch was in the right place, but the sole was not nearly as bouncy as my real Keens so I will stay away from those. Pity though I loved the dusty green color they were!

This will give nearly anyone blisters almost instantly. Its adding friction.

No, you're incorrect. I'll assume you're talking about the double socking.

They make double layered running socks just for this purpose. The layers help offset the friction between the shoe and the sock to the foot. Two layers means more barriers, and less friction to the foot.

Duct tape stays put on your foot and absorbs all friction, which means zero blisters.

I'd link medical and athletic websites that advocate and prove the theories behind both the double socking and taping of feet (BTW, they also make specific tape for taping feet to prevent blisters, but duct tape is much less expensive), however, I haven't had the time to meet my 10 post quota to link the sites for you. Just google 'double socking for blisters'.

Last trip I wore Crocs (clog type) and Tevas - both with cotton socks. I like to take two pair so I can switch off day-to-day. And shoes that don't slip when wet.
I have recently bought some of the moisture-wicking socks and they are pretty comfortable. I will probably get some of those for the next trip.:goodvibes

I Love My double layered thick strapped rainbows, they are the best, just make sure to break them in good before you go, or you will have blisters along the top of your foot from the flip flop strap

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter