All New Atlantic Canada Thread....

Does anybody know if Teacher's PD Days are the same every year? This year they were at the beginning of Oct, was wondering if it will be the same this October coming up? I would love to tie in our vacation with DS's long weekend. Im seeing I might be able to tie in our Thanksgiving with our trip. Do you know if A) the Canadian Pavillion does anything for our Thanksgiving and B) if they offer free dining, when it is extended until? I have heard October, but the 2nd, the 7th, the 15th? When should I expect it?

I am in shock..... Flights are booked. We are leaving from Bangor on May 13th for WDW then on the 17th we leave for San Antonio TX to return to Bangor on the 19th. Because this is work related for my DH we are flying Delta. His flight is paid for :cool1: and mine in total $530 Staying at SSR while at Disney. Pinch me!

Has anyone flown Continental, stopping over in Newark? I'm planing on doing this because it means I can clear customs in Halifax instead of TO or Montreal and the arrival times are great....afternoons. Plus the prices are pretty attractive too.

Anyone got anything good, bad, or indifferent? Ted, you flew them didn't you?

@Applemomma - clearing customs in Halifax is great. I've done it a few times and found it faster than just going through domestic security there. I don't notice much difference between any airlines. I've taken Continental from Halifax to Newark before, no complaints. I've had some pretty serious delays years ago in Newark, but the last 2-3 times they were fine. I think they must've done something to fix the delays. IIRC you have to take a special bus between terminals when you change planes in Newark when flying Continental. I found it kinda confusing, but not terribly so. I expect you'll be fine.

Wheezynm - We have one more sleep then 12 days in hopefully sunny weather. I bet you are counting the days as well. I'll tell Mickey to expect a wild crowd from NS. Just kidding.

Welcome home Dennise! :wave2: Hope you had a magical time.

Applemomma:

Brad covers this off quite well. I always prefer to clear customs in Halifax (even though we got picked for extra screening ...).

The terminal transfer is what Brad is referred too ... you arrive at Terminal A and then transfer to Terminal C. DON'T TAKE THE TRAIN. Do the bus shuttle ... this might take 10 to 20 minutes at Max. This is simply taking an elevator or stairs down one flight of stairs ,,, its only a few hundred feet from where you get off the YHZ to EWR flight. ( Look for the Big Sign). Really simple and staff there will tell you what to do.

Delays: EWR is known for delays .... mostly are weather related. So Winter and stormy weather are risks for delays, but Continental is a very large airline and I would say that the trek between YHZ and EWR and vise versa is the leg that would be delayed in bad weather. That being said, this time of year only severe rain is a threat.

Having flown from YHZ to EWR to MCO ... I would do it again> for sure ... price is good.

Other Notes:
EWR ... eat in Terminal C ... very limited in Terminal A.
Bag Fees: Pay them online the day before your flight ... saves money and time.
Bring a good book ... no entertainment on YHZ to EWR and limited options for EWR to MCO.

Any other questions, just send them my way.

Just booked a quick trip from May 13 - 17 for my wife and I. It will be our first tirp without kids and we are looking forward to it.

I love having DVC.

Has anyone flown Continental, stopping over in Newark? I'm planing on doing this because it means I can clear customs in Halifax instead of TO or Montreal and the arrival times are great....afternoons. Plus the prices are pretty attractive too.

Anyone got anything good, bad, or indifferent? Ted, you flew them didn't you?

we did in october both down and back and will this time as well. the only issue i had was beign in a puddlejumper from hali to newark and the way our seats were we had 17a, 18a and b and c which were acrsss the aisle...we stuck the kids there(2 and 4) cus i didnt want anyone by themselves...altho it caused me a great deal of stress...i wr\orry about everything! i asked a couple times to change it and got snapped at at both the gate and by the stewardess. other than that it was a good flight.

Disney_Mama:

That's what I'm doing .... Driving from Halifax to Bangor May 22, then next day to Portland to fly to MCO (may 23). 1 week at ALLstars ... then its from MCO to DFW (through Houston) (may 30) ... 8 nights in Abilene ... then its DFW to PWM (June 7). Drive home on June 8th.

Have a great trip. What is taking you to Texas?

I have a brother (and his Family) who lives in Abilene Texas ... just a visit!

Ted

Our wait is almost over and the DW is bouncing off the walls.:yay:
Depart early tomorrow morning for POR.::MickeyMo

Thanks for all your advice on the Continental flights! I'm planning on the flight with the three hour layover to give us some wiggle room in case of delays out of Halifax since November is really a month when anything can happen weather wise.

Any advice on when to buy? Do they typically drop a bit more towards that 90- day mark? The price has come down a bit since I started looking but is just at the top of what I'm comfortable paying now limit.

FundyTrail.....HAVE FUN!!!

3 hours layover is fine ... this will give you enough time to eat also. When to buy? What I do is set my price ... when the tickets match that ... I buy. I'm not one for last minute buying ... although it would definitely save me money. I just don't like the uncertainty of losing the flight.

I'm stalking Feb 12 2011 to Feb 27, 2011 airfare (YHZ to MCO) ... if the prices reached 350 CDN with taxes in today ... I would buy them.

Ted

For a 4:30 pm direct flight we couldn't pre-clear in Halifax. We got there at 2:45 and were told Customs was closed that we had to go through two screenings in Halifax and then again in Orlando. After the first screening we were herded upstairs to a holding room to be patted down and all of our hand luggage gone through. No explanation other than Customs closes at 5:00.
After that the trip was great, couldn't aske for better weather. I want to go back now.

For a 4:30 pm direct flight we couldn't pre-clear in Halifax. We got there at 2:45 and were told Customs was closed that we had to go through two screenings in Halifax and then again in Orlando. After the first screening we were herded upstairs to a holding room to be patted down and all of our hand luggage gone through. No explanation other than Customs closes at 5:00.
After that the trip was great, couldn't aske for better weather. I want to go back now.

Welcome back!

That sucks about customs. If they close at 5 and you were there before 3 I don't understand why they wouldn't clear you. We fly out at 2:55 next week and I hope we can clear customs in Halifax.

How did I miss this thread?? My name is Oliver from St. John's, Newfoundland and I'm a Disney-aholic!! Have been going every year for the past 7 years. Was staying off site until last year when I stayed at SSR and I'll never stay off site again. Will be staying at BWV this time around. Anyone stay there yet?? pro's vs. cons?? Also will be doing a few rounds of golf while I'm down there,so if anyone is looking for a fellow Maritimer to tee it up with let me know.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter