All about the Autotrain

We got back this am on the AT at 9:25. Good trip, some complained of movement, but I didn't find it any worse than any other northbound trip. I was able to sleep about 6 hours total and for the first time ever I wasn't awake when we left Florence. I remember pulling in and the next thing I knew it was about 4 am. We were in a roomette both ways. Dinner was good. There were a lot of kids since this is the normal Feb vacation time due to President's Day. We'll be back onboard the end of Nov when we head for Tampa and another cruise. This morning they had muffins and coffee in the lounge if someone wanted to do that rather than go to the dining car. There were 2 dinner seatings for coach and 3 for sleepers. I think it was the same on the way down too. We had second (7 pm) both ways.

We got off the ship and headed straight to Sanford. We went and found a Starbucks and walked around Super target and picked up a couple of things before heading to the station. We got there about 11:15 and we were car #4 in line. Our car was off this am in about an hour and 10 min and there were still at least 50 people waiting. Loading in Sanford is done by car since there is construction going on and one side of the platform is torn up. They loaded the two coach cars that are pulled up next to the station through the front entrance door and up some ramps. Everyone else was loaded out the back rear door. The other "to train" door at the front of the station near the check in is blocked off as there is not any walkway there right now.

Something else interesting, when we arrived at Lorton on Monday, we actually saw a car waiting to check in and when we left about 10: 40 am there were 2 or 3. I know it was going to snow (didn't start til about 2 or 3 pm), but sitting for 2 hours in that cold means running the engine.

Also, when we were in Sanford, several people went out onto the platform around 2 pm and had to be told to return to inside the station. It's not like they're going to not have a seat and the lounge isn't the draw it used to be so I don't get it. They actually made an announcement that could be heard inside and outside, calling them out and letting others know not to do it. As I said above, they loaded by car and announced each one so they didn't want anyone out there until they announced.

When I was is the 5th grade my grandma took me down to Florida dirkng Christmas break on the Autotrain. I remember it being a great experience. My Walkman stopped working around North Carolina and all the different batteries she bought me did not work, but other than that it was enjoyable. In April we are taking my son who is turning one while we are there down as well as my husbands mom, and we just bought tickets for the Autotrain to at least go down. We are still contemplating coming home. But my son does not like sitting in his seat for too long. from richmond to lorton will be fun enough. But the return price is double that of what it cost to go down :(

When I was is the 5th grade my grandma took me down to Florida dirkng Christmas break on the Autotrain. I remember it being a great experience. My Walkman stopped working around North Carolina and all the different batteries she bought me did not work, but other than that it was enjoyable. In April we are taking my son who is turning one while we are there down as well as my husbands mom, and we just bought tickets for the Autotrain to at least go down. We are still contemplating coming home. But my son does not like sitting in his seat for too long. from richmond to lorton will be fun enough. But the return price is double that of what it cost to go down :(

We are taking the train down and driving home in August. The price was more expensive to go home then to go down. Plus we wanted to try driving at least one time. My kids are 8 & 5 so hopefully will be easily entertained by watching movies, etc.

Thinking of taking the train home in August... Got a quote of $1169 for 3 aaa adults 2 deluxe bedroom and the car....Is this a good price?

Thinking of taking the train home in August... Got a quote of $1169 for 3 aaa adults 2 deluxe bedroom and the car....Is this a good price?

I am calling tomorrow to get a rate for one way in August. Taking dd21 down with her car for her internship and then DH and I will fly home.

Are you getting two bedrooms? I just booked today for $847.20. 3 AAA adults, bedroom with bathroom and car. One way there, Flying home.

Can 3 adults fit in a 1 bedroom?....I didn't think you could do that

You can't do it online, you have to call. We did that a few times with our son. My husband & I sleep in the lower & he slept in the upper. Even when it is just me & my husband we just use the lower & tell them not to make up the upper one.

That's right. I read somewhere that you could have 3 adults in one bedroom but couldn't access that online. It forced you to book two bedrooms. When I called directly, the representative said we could book one for three people. I'm sure if it was a longer trip it would be too tight, but we'll be ok for one way!

What time does everyone leave Disney to get to the Sanford station? We have not done the return trip in the longest time.

We're been traveling 3 adults in 1 bedroom for the last few trips. We found that Bedroom "A" feels smaller than the rest of the bedrooms because the room is configured a little differently. So when we call to book, we request any of the other ones.

We usually leave WDW around 10 and stop to eat lunch (Cracker Barrel is close to the station, right off of I-4, just off hwy 46). Unless it's a Sunday lol since it's too long a wait for a table. That gets us to the train between 1130 and 12.

We usually leave WDW around 10 and stop to eat lunch (Cracker Barrel is close to the station, right off of I-4, just off hwy 46). Unless it's a Sunday lol since it's too long a wait for a table. That gets us to the train between 1130 and 12.
I'm taking my first trip on the Autotrain in a few months. Why go so early? If I don't care about my dining time and we have a room (plus we paid for priority offloading), is there any reason not to arrive at the station 30 minutes or so before the cutoff time?

I'm taking my first trip on the Autotrain in a few months. Why go so early? If I don't care about my dining time and we have a room (plus we paid for priority offloading), is there any reason not to arrive at the station 30 minutes or so before the cutoff time?

No reason, but we prefer to be there, checked in and get our preferred dinner time of 7. We also like to get a seat in the station, use the free wi-fi in the station (none on the train, except for a few hours in the lounge), people watch, etc. The vast majority of people get there by 1:30 or so. We've done 6 round trips. Plus, we like knowing we're there, checked in and ready to go. Trying to arrive 1/2 hour before cutoff can backfire if you run into traffic or weather. We've pulled out of Lorton with a car stopped at the gate and a woman looking very upset. People miss the train trying to cut it too close. It happens. Once they pass the cutoff and quit taking cars, they move the car carriers and cannot and will not pull them back to add a late arrival. We only live 45 minutes from Lorton, but we also know how traffic can be around here. On the Orlando to Sanford end, you never know how traffic will be on I-4.

No reason, but we prefer to be there, checked in and get our preferred dinner time of 7. We also like to get a seat in the station, use the free wi-fi in the station (none on the train, except for a few hours in the lounge), people watch, etc. The vast majority of people get there by 1:30 or so. We've done 6 round trips. Plus, we like knowing we're there, checked in and ready to go. Trying to arrive 1/2 hour before cutoff can backfire if you run into traffic or weather. We've pulled out of Lorton with a car stopped at the gate and a woman looking very upset. People miss the train trying to cut it too close. It happens. Once they pass the cutoff and quit taking cars, they move the car carriers and cannot and will not pull them back to add a late arrival. We only live 45 minutes from Lorton, but we also know how traffic can be around here. On the Orlando to Sanford end, you never know how traffic will be on I-4.
Thanks. I guess I'll pad my planned arrival at the station by an extra 30 minutes.

Do some people take 417/the Greenway to avoid the variability of traffic in I-4? I know it has tolls and adds a few miles, but I'd think that it would be relatively traffic free and a reliable way to get there.

I haven't done autotrain (perhaps in the future, which is why I follow this thread) but I have taken 417 and will do it from now on every time we go. I-4 south of where 417 cuts off will never see me again. I would rather pay the tolls than drive through that confusing congested stretch of road -- and since there is a big construction project starting on I-4, I know I don't want to travel it. I'm just hoping it doesn't funnel so much traffic to 417 that it becomes a race course.

Thanks for the responses. The way we have it right now, we are going to use the last of our dinning credits for T-Rex lunch at 11am departure day. I hope we will be out by 12:15 the latest and then drive to Sanford.

We always did lunch at 11 at DTD and then went to the train. You will still make it in plenty of time as long as you don't care about what dinner seating you get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter