All about the Autotrain

I'm taking the auto train north tomorrow for the first time. What is a good time to check in? I know the posted time is 11:30 to 2:30, but I hate to hang around too long there.

If you care about the time you eat dinner, then you do need to get there earlier. If you don't mind eating late, like after 9pm, then just show up before 2:30pm. If you want the 5 or 7 pm times then you want to get there by 1pm or earlier.

You are going north in 'winter' so the train shouldn't be that crowded.

We like the early dinner so always try to get there NLT 1pm.

Enjoy!

Is autotrain similar to booking airfare in that weekdays are less expensive than travelling on the weekends? We are thinking about winter travel

In general, yes. But play around with dates.

In our early Nov trip, coming back on a Monday morning was cheaper than returning on Sat or Sun.

Let us know what you find out.

If you care about the time you eat dinner, then you do need to get there earlier. If you don't mind eating late, like after 9pm, then just show up before 2:30pm. If you want the 5 or 7 pm times then you want to get there by 1pm or earlier.

You are going north in 'winter' so the train shouldn't be that crowded.

We like the early dinner so always try to get there NLT 1pm.

Enjoy!

Thank you. With that info in mind we'll show up at 11:30 - 12:00.

Thank you. With that info in mind we'll show up at 11:30 - 12:00.

You can also ask them to do early check in where you get your assigned seat or room and dining time and then go in your vehicle and get something to eat and come back later. I haven't done this personally but others on here have done that. It's another option if you want to get there early but not wait the whole time at the station.

Good luck!

Well, we got to the station at 12:10 but the southbound was late getting in and did not get offloaded until 1:00: We headed north about 4:45. We are stopped just south of Jacksonville right now for some reason. We both had the beef dinner and it was very good. So far we like this.

Well, we got to the station at 12:10 but the southbound was late getting in and did not get offloaded until 1:00: We headed north about 4:45. We are stopped just south of Jacksonville right now for some reason. We both had the beef dinner and it was very good. So far we like this.

They normally announce why they stop. In fact, they usually announce it before you actually stop. Did they make an announcement? It's usually train traffic related.

They normally announce why they stop. In fact, they usually announce it before you actually stop. Did they make an announcement? It's usually train traffic related.

I find they usually do NOT announce every train stop. On our northbound train the conductor explained on the first stoppage that the AT does need to stop now and then for passing freight trains and that he would NOT be announcing every one but to just know that is what the stops are usually for. He also mentioned the switching of some crew members etc.. at the overnight stop. We did indeed stop several more times for passing freight trains but as he said no announcement was made.

Ugh, that is horrible not till 1:00 pm!!! Glad they got you all out only 45 minutes late. Hopefully they will be able to make up some time on the way up.

I find they usually do NOT announce every train stop. On our northbound train the conductor explained on the first stoppage that the AT does need to stop now and then for passing freight trains and that he would NOT be announcing every one but to just know that is what the stops are usually for. He also mentioned the switching of some crew members etc.. at the overnight stop. We did indeed stop several more times for passing freight trains but as he said no announcement was made.

Our experience after 5 round trips is they pretty much always announce why a stop is made unless it's in the middle of the night or very short. We've had announcements for heavy train traffic, for a mechanical issue, and for a delay due to broken down freight train. We have never stopped for more than a few minutes without an announcement. Passing trains is not a reason to make an announcement as that stop is rarely more than 2-3 minutes so no need.

Our experience after 5 round trips is they pretty much always announce why a stop is made unless it's in the middle of the night or very short. We've had announcements for heavy train traffic, for a mechanical issue, and for a delay due to broken down freight train. We have never stopped for more than a few minutes without an announcement. Passing trains is not a reason to make an announcement as that stop is rarely more than 2-3 minutes so no need.

Hmm, quite different from what we have experienced during our 5 or 6 round trips, I've lost count. Our trip going south was the worst we've encountered with MANY stoppages and NONE were announced. I knew it was for a passing freight train as you could eventually hear the train, however these stops were 20 minutes each at least. Delayed our train until 11:00am getting into Sanford and the conductor only came on in the morning to say these stops were for our safety for freight trains.

Guess we've been lucky with our trips as usually we pull in early betweenn 8:00 and 8:30 to Sanford.

I'm so sorry you had a delay, esp for your first time. Although anything can happen, unless there is bad weather or mechanical failure, trains really aren't that late. I hope the rest of your trip is uneventful. I'm sure they can make up most of that time.

We've been back for a couple of days now. I liked it overall. I did not get a good nights sleep as I was expecting as I have a couple of bad hips and the bed was not very comfortable and the train sure does lurch about at times, but I DID sleep some. It's much more restful than driving the whole way and the staff onboard was terrific. We drove 1.5 hours to the train and then 7 more hours once off the train to get home, but it's a 25+ hour drive without the train. That plus it saved 815 miles on the cars odometer. Normally I do this trip over 3 days and 2 nights. Overall I'd do it again.

Finally booked our northbound train for next August. Played with the dates and ended up with sept 1 to leave so added 2 extra days to our trip. Yay!!!

We are looking to take the AT for the first time, hopefully at the end of May.
Can anyone help me with pricing. I don't know what good or bad pricing is. LOL
Having only just started to look into it. We are planning on one way coach for 7 of us, 2 adult, 4 kids and an infant. 2 ad are $212 and 4 kids are $212, then $239 for the car. Where does this fall as far as good or bad?

We are looking to take the AT for the first time, hopefully at the end of May.
Can anyone help me with pricing. I don't know what good or bad pricing is. LOL
Having only just started to look into it. We are planning on one way coach for 7 of us, 2 adult, 4 kids and an infant. 2 ad are $212 and 4 kids are $212, then $239 for the car. Where does this fall as far as good or bad?

In general, the AutoTrain prices will start out at 11 months prior with the cheapest prices and increase closer to travel.

Sometimes they will drop within a month or two, if the train isn't filling up right away. A few years ago, I booked on opening day, only to call back about a month later to get the cheaper price.

Again, sometimes, within a few weeks of travel, the price may drop again. Years ago we arrived Lorton on Thanksgiving day. That train was DEAD! We talked to another family that booked 3 weeks prior and their price was cheaper than mine.

But mostly, they start at one price and just increase.

Look for "kids ride free" which only applies to coach travel usually during summer months or AAA discount.

Hi! My husband & I are traveling on the Auto train south for the first time on the 19th. I have done the virtual tour of the Bedroom, but was wondering if anyone can tell me will 2 carry on suitcases fit on the clothes closet?

Hi! My husband & I are traveling on the Auto train south for the first time on the 19th. I have done the virtual tour of the Bedroom, but was wondering if anyone can tell me will 2 carry on suitcases fit on the clothes closet?

Nothing fits in that coat closet! I think we shoved the kids blankets in there til bed time in garbage bags.

I do recall our cooler fit under the single seat and I see to recall our suitcase was on the shelf above the single seat. Our cooler is about 8-10 inches high.

Think of the closet as a place to hang a jacket or two (not a winter coat though). My kids shoes fit inside but not my DH's without squeezing them.

The space under the bed is very tight. None of our suitcases fit, we can squeeze a small duffel.

We use a collapsible hamper for our pillows, blankets and change of clothes so we just fold it up when not in use.

Pack very light!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter