Alfredos Closing?

I can think of two things here: First, the place has the same name as a place in Italy. Dis may want to have an italian restaurant that is not linked with another restaurant - for legal reasons, or whatever.

Sort of like the McDonalds fry carts, Rainforest Cafe, Cheesecake Factory, Wolfgang Puck, Earl of Sandwich, Planet Hollywood , House of Blues or the ESPN Club?

I depends on how much Disney is paying the restaurant for the guests' meals. Disney gets to offset the losses it's taking in the resaurants against higher occupancy at the resorts - the owner of Alfredo doesn't have that. From his point of view he's swamped with a lot of people eating more than he's being reimbursed for; and all the cheap people are taking driving out the full-priced diners - I don't blame him one bit for closing up shop.

However, the owner could always opt out of the DDP. There are plenty of restaurants on property that don't participate. Or if WDW wouldn't let him out of it since he's in the park, he could always demand that he be one of the restaurants that needs 2 passes per meal. Alfredo's is good, but I find it hard to believe that they would loose money with an average of $50 a plate. Seems to me that this might be a situation that is independent of the DDP.

Better is always a possibility, but I'm wondering if it can be much larger, given the way the Italy section is already laid out. Could be they simply put in a new operation in exactly the same place--

I hope a counter service in the Italy pavilion will be included. I could never figure out why they did not have one. And nothing to really keep guests in that area either, except a few shops.

Alfredo's is our favorite restaurant. We go there multiple nights when we visit Disney....

The way Disney handles "themeing" these days we'll get one of those combination Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Huts in the Alfredo's location.

I can hear the plants now - "but pizza's Italian! You just hate Disney!"

nah,
a mall food court plopped into the center of WS Lagoon. Then they could free up all that space wasted on restaurants to add in more shops...
doesn't everyone need a Stitch of all nationalities?

If I recall correctly, the initial plan called for an art museum in a recreation of a Roman villia. But like all the build out plans for EPCOT Center, they were cancelled in less than two years after opening when Michael Eisner took over.

After that the closest Italy got to a ride was a clone of Disneyland's 'Matterhorn'. It was the fallback location after Nestle refused to fund an entire Swiss pavilion.

I hope a counter service in the Italy pavilion will be included. I could never figure out why they did not have one. And nothing to really keep guests in that area either, except a few shops.

maybe they'll finally have a decent slice of pizza there. In case anyone cares here's a story/review on alfredo's

http://www.mouseextra.com/

Alfredos is a class act and they just can't put up with DI$NEY being cheap !
Its just the Disney way ! Ask the people who work there how they are treated by the big CHEESE!
2.gif

OH GREAT DI$NEY
notworthy.gif

I would have never called Alfredos excellent. In fact, it seemed to evoke quite a polarized view from the DIS base. I ate there last month and had a good meal compared to the previous meal we had there so I can see why. Change may be a good thing here. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who hates Olive Garbage. Even tho I think Macaroni Grill is ok, and I do enjoy a steady diet of Carrabbas, I agree with most here that any Italian American chain would ruin the perception of authenticity of dining at EPCOT. In any event, I do hope they also put in CS with good pizza. I have had pizza hankerings at EPCOT and had to walk to the Boardwalk to get my fix.

I'm not a big fan of Alfredo's but I would love to see a counter service restaurant in Italy.

In any event, I do hope they also put in CS with good pizza. I have had pizza hankerings at EPCOT and had to walk to the Boardwalk to get my fix.

Honestly, I think the pizza in the Northeastern U.S. beats the "authentic" pizza from Italy, so if they do put in CS pizza, I hope they get some northeasterner to run it... Or, I'd take someone from Chicago (not the same, but still good). While "authentic" Italian food tends to be better than what you tend to get in the U.S., I do think the pizza (in certain parts of the U.S. - not the chains, though) is one thing we've improved on...

Honestly, I think the pizza in the Northeastern U.S. beats the "authentic" pizza from Italy, so if they do put in CS pizza, I hope they get some northeasterner to run it...
And we wonder why the world hates us...

The way Disney handles "themeing" these days we'll get one of those combination Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Huts in the Alfredo's location.

Nah, the Taco Bell is going in the Mexican Fast Food kiosk right outside Mexico.

This makes me sad. We've always enjoyed Alfredo's. Disney will probably substitute a Let's Eat Nemo Italian Buffet.
Pitiful

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter