• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alcoholic beverage suggestions.

JalenJade

Mouseketeer
I'll admit, I'm not a big drinker, but I'd like some suggestions for drinks to ask for while I'm staying at the DLR. My only real requirements are no beers (Unless it actually tastes good... and smells good.) And lower sugar appreciated. (I'm diabetic but this isn't a dealbreaker.)

I know there's a generic drink menu but I've heard that it's probably not the best experience to order off that menu. I plan on spending at least 1 night at Trader Sam's and I will be trying out their unique drinks (Though off-menu suggestions welcome.)

I would most likely be more drawn to fruity drinks than not, though I am open to any suggestions.

Drinks that contain both alcohol and fruit juices (thus making them fruity) will be high in sugar so are probably not ideal for a diabetic, but if that is indeed something you can over look, here are my fav specialty drinks from the Trader Sam's menu:

• Shipwreck on the Rocks - Have too many of these and you'll be setting a course for Davy Jones' Locker! -- Bourbon with Freshly Muddled Lemon and Mint with Organic Agave Nectar.
  • Ginger's Pear-adise - When you put your hand out for this one be careful...Ginger snaps! -- Pear Vodka, Ginger Liqueur, Organic Agave Nectar, and Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice.
  • Lost Safari - Best served with a rhino chaser, this drink gets its point across in the end. Bottoms up! -- Dark and Spiced Rums, Tropical Juices, and Sam's Gorilla Grog.

At the Carthay Circle Lounge, I've had a Pimm's Punch, a Mojito, and a Negroni and all were excellent.

Wine? Unless the bottle's been open too long, or is corked, it's pretty hard to screw it up.

The standard bar menu has a banfi rosa regale (a sweeter, lightly sparkling red) that might suit you. It's also only 5% alcohol, so it's not going to hit you over the head in the heat.

At Carthay Circle lounge you might like a Ginger Rogers or an aviation. A Hemingway daiquiri might also be a good choice.

If you steer clear of mixed drinks that include "sweet and sour mix", "wildberry foam" and randomly flavored vodka, you'll probably do all right.

I'm always a big fan of Disney's sangria. I tried two cocktails (Croquet Tini & Midway Martini) inside DCA and they were wayyy too strong and sugary for me. Kind of felt like I was sipping shots the whole time - YUCK!

If you are sharing. I usally like to buy a bottles of Dr. Loosen Riesling at the Hearthstone Lounge in GCH ($40.00) It is very refreshing and the markup on it in not bad. You can also buy it by the glass in DCA ($8.00)

It's probably not low sugar, but I liked the Pimm's Punch at Carthay Circle Lounge.

At Trader Sam's they will make substitutions. I got the Shipwreck on the Rocks for the souvenir glass and didn't really like it. My friend told me she substituted rum and had a regular mojito.

I like fruiter drinks and tend to order lemon drops or mojitos. Not sure about the sugar issue there though.

I can't help much since I almost always choose beer (and "smells good" is subjective!), but if you want a drink that you can walk around with, the Cozy Cone in Cars Land has a pomegranate lemonade and vodka. The one I got was pretty weak on the vodka, but it wasn't as sweet as the drinks from Trader Sam's...

I know you said you don't really drink many beers, but I foudn the tower10 IPA they serve at the resort to be pretty delicious. I'm bringing a few 6 packs of a local IPA with me though, for winding down after the kids are settled in the room.

Try a glass of Magicale. :)

They don't call it Magicale anymore. It is now called it's true name, Rosa Regale. I get it at my World Market, it's amazing! Highly recommended!

OP try the white sangria, it's white wine with fruit, very very good! Or anything with a glow cube. LOL

I can't help much since I almost always choose beer (and "smells good" is subjective!), but if you want a drink that you can walk around with, the Cozy Cone in Cars Land has a pomegranate lemonade and vodka. The one I got was pretty weak on the vodka, but it wasn't as sweet as the drinks from Trader Sam's...

It's a pomegranate limeade, which IMO, is even better. I could hardly detect any vodka though, and would probably just get it as a soft drink if I tried it again. You can ask for soda water instead of Sprite in the cozy cone drinks, so that helps cut down on sugar.

They don't call it Magicale anymore. It is now called it's true name, Rosa Regale. I get it at my World Market, it's amazing! Highly recommended!

OP try the white sangria, it's white wine with fruit, very very good! Or anything with a glow cube. LOL

Oh, that's going to make a couple of my friends really, really happy. Thanks!

That is seriously good to know.

OP I would go for as simple as possible. Juice and alcohol are going to be bad enough, but if your blood sugar reacts anything like my husband's, if you get some fruity drink that's blended with some HFCS-sweetened stuff it might shoot your levels through the roof.

I like glow cubes and I like simple. I don't know the name of them, but there are a couple drinks made with organic juices, etc, and those taste really lovely.

Try a glass of Magicale. :)

Oh, that's going to make a couple of my friends really, really happy. Thanks!

That is seriously good to know.

OP I would go for as simple as possible. Juice and alcohol are going to be bad enough, but if your blood sugar reacts anything like my husband's, if you get some fruity drink that's blended with some HFCS-sweetened stuff it might shoot your levels through the roof.

I like glow cubes and I like simple. I don't know the name of them, but there are a couple drinks made with organic juices, etc, and those taste really lovely.

You are both very welcome, glad I was able to help. :) I love me some Rosa Regale!! It's pretty magical. :D

OP the Mojito at Carthay was pretty decent.

I had 3 glasses of Rosa Regale at Steakhouse 55 and easily could have downed a bottle alone. Best sparkling wine ever.

I don't know what the sugar level is but Storytellers carries hard cider in a bottle--refreshing and not like a beer, more like a less-sweet wine cooler. Has anyone found the hard cider at other DLR restaurants?
Do you like Bloody Marys? They just have the basic stuff to doctor it up but the base is respectable at Trader Sam's and Cove Bar. Carthay Circle as I recall uses real horseradish but don't hold me to it--we try out Bloody Marys everywhere we go :)
I have loved all of the drinks I've tried on the drink menus, but all were super sweet and light on the alcohol. I think they have some sugar free mixers, syrups, etc. So you should be able to find something that appeals to you.

You can ask for soda water instead of Sprite in the cozy cone drinks, so that helps cut down on sugar.
Good to know.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, this gives me more to research and will help me kill time. :)

Sutter Home wine in the little single serve bottles. You can pack it in your luggage easy enough(comes in plastic, not glass!) and it only costs about a dollar plus some change for one serving. Drink it in your hotel room while your kids are taking their late afternoon nap, and you will all be relaxed for an evening of parades and fireworks!:goodvibes:scratchin:coffee:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter