Alcohol service rant.

We are here in DL at the moment and I want to mention to anyone in their 20's or traveling with someone of that age that they will probably be asked for their passport if they want to buy alcohol. My 21 year old DD was refused alcohol service at Ralph Brennan's as she did not have her passport with her although she showed her drivers license and was sitting with her middle aged parents. We were told it was a direction from Disney, although 2 nights later she was served alcohol at Goofys Kitchen and was not asked for any identification. U.S. Citizens only have to show their drivers license. We however are held to a different standard. As I'm sure you can see I'm not happy about the double standards, shouldn't Disney be at least as accommodating to tourists as they are to locals.

Actually standard across most states, most will accept a color photo copy, so you can leave it in the hotel safe.

I'm over 50 and was recently asked to show ID when buying cough syrup at target in the US (I'm from Canada). I know I don't look my age, but still! :)

My 30 year old daughter (who also doesn't look her age) wanted to buy her father a glass of sangria last time we were in California Adventure (DLR California), and was refused when she showed her Canadian driver's license, which sports her photo and date of birth. They told her she had to show her passport, which of course she wasn't carrying around with her in the parks. She was pretty vexed when it happened because she really wanted to treat her dad!

Great tip about taking a photo of your passport with your phone, and then just showing complimentary photo ID! I'll let her know about that...

We have experienced the cough syrup thing too, the register system makes them input id information, it will not allow them to sell it without it. I did not have id and they would not let me buy, the supervisor could not even over ride it and I am 40.

Target makes every one show ID to buy alcohol. I will be 70 on my next birthday, and yes even I have to hand over my DL.

In Boston, I had to show ID to buy alcohol at a supermarket
To get alcoholic drinks at the conference I attended - had to show ID and get a wristband
(I'm over 50)

Wegmans (the best) Grocery Store has asked everyone....even my 88 year old mom for ID when buying beer for many years.

Actually standard across most states, most will accept a color photo copy, so you can leave it in the hotel safe.

We have experienced the cough syrup thing too, the register system makes them input id information, it will not allow them to sell it without it. I did not have id and they would not let me buy, the supervisor could not even over ride it and I am 40.

If it contains any psuedoephedrine then everyone may have to show ID. Here in Indiana, it's regulated as a meth precursor and you can only buy a certain amount per month. The ID is entered into the state purchase database.

If it contains any psuedoephedrine then everyone may have to show ID. Here in Indiana, it's regulated as a meth precursor and you can only buy a certain amount per month. The ID is entered into the state purchase database.
Every Australian should be used to that as it's the same thing...

Every Australian should be used to that as it's the same thing...

I don't remember ever being asked for ID when buying cough syrup or any other cold/cough remedy with pseudoephedrine in it :confused3 Haven't bought any of that stuff for a long time though. Is it a recent thing?

They've taken Pseudoephidrine out of a lot of over the counter medicines. I used to take Sinutab, which had Pseudoephidrine in it. They have put some other stuff in it instead, which doesn't quite work as well. It's been quite a few years now. And yes, if you ask for something with Pseudoephidrine in it, they will ask for ID and record it on a database, so they can follow up if anyone buys too much. I haven't heard of cough syrup with pseudoephidrine.

I don't remember ever being asked for ID when buying cough syrup or any other cold/cough remedy with pseudoephedrine in it :confused3 Haven't bought any of that stuff for a long time though. Is it a recent thing?
You'll likely find that Pseudoephidrine isn't in most of the over the counter products you buy. MOST things are now a replacement which isn't as effective and as far as I'm concerned...almost useless....it's called Phenylephrine.

If you want Sudafed with Pseudoephidrine you MUST give your ID and they make a record of it

We were refused alcohol at La Nouba in 2014 because we didn't have our passports on us.
I ALWAYS take multiple photocopies of our passports for this type of thing (colour, along with copies of our DL and bank cards... just in case... did I mention I have OCD and one of my "things" is to over pack and over do it when it comes to this stuff... you cant be too careful you know ;) ) and we were also almost refused in Freemont street in Vegas... Seriously?! Vegas!! And I had the photocopies with us that day... the bartender was very reluctant.

I carried that passport everywhere but we were only asked for ID once this past trip with LOTS of wine and dining....and it was specifically for me....at Sci Fi Dine in....
I must look young in neon lights....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter