Alcohol service rant.

JennyN

DIS Veteran
We are here in DL at the moment and I want to mention to anyone in their 20's or traveling with someone of that age that they will probably be asked for their passport if they want to buy alcohol. My 21 year old DD was refused alcohol service at Ralph Brennan's as she did not have her passport with her although she showed her drivers license and was sitting with her middle aged parents. We were told it was a direction from Disney, although 2 nights later she was served alcohol at Goofys Kitchen and was not asked for any identification. U.S. Citizens only have to show their drivers license. We however are held to a different standard. As I'm sure you can see I'm not happy about the double standards, shouldn't Disney be at least as accommodating to tourists as they are to locals.

It's not a double standard or an old rule. It's hard enough to train employees to recognize ID from 50 states, can you imagine having to train from every nation that might visit?

Australian license has photo ID and full birth date on the front.
On the back of the license it has month and year of birth so large you cannot miss it.

Understandably people do not want to carry passports around wherever they go when they have other forms of ID available.

We had to show id when we purchased beer from target and we were in our late 30's lol

I used to just use a Drivers License anywhere but I noticed THIS in my Banquet Event Order (we are getting married in Orlando) which was news to me. As I look young I guess I'll be carrying my passport everywhere...or a printed copy...which is a funny one if you ask me but it says it!

PLEASE NOTE BY FLORIDA LAW ANY GUEST

APPEARING UNDER THE AGE OF 30 WILL BE

ASKED TO SHOW ID

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF ID FOR VERIFYING

• US State Drivers License (includes US territories)

• US State ID (includes US territories)

• US Military ID

• NEXUS card issued by US Customs and Border

Patrol for Canadian Guests

• Original Passport

• Copy of passport AND a government issued photo ID

which can verify the person and birth date shown on the

copy of the passport. Copies of passports can be either

paper copies or copies captured on mobile devices.

• NOTE: Foreign drivers licenses or ID cards are not

acceptable by themselves

• US TERRITORIES include Puerto Rico, Guam,
Northern Mariana Islands, US Virgin Islands and

American Samoa ************

• The Florida Beverage Law prohibits the consumption

or possession of alcoholic beverages by any person

under the age of 21.

• Guest must have been born *on or before* Feb 24,

1995 to possess or consume alcoholic beverages.

• Upon your request at the conclusion of your food and

beverage functions, wine that was purchased by the

bottle and partially consume

accordance with Florida law. If you elect not to remove

partially consumed bottles, such bottles shall be deemed

transferred to us for no additional consideration. This

paragraph does not apply in the case of hosted bars

(where wine is purchased on a "by the drink" basis) or

packaged bars (where wine is provided on an hourly/per

person basis).

I guess it would be a compliment if someone thought I was under 30. I'll roll with it:rotfl2:

I had to show ID at Walmart when I bought a bottle of wine and I'm 43…LOL. My daughter cannot get her license due to her vision so I wonder if they'd accept her ID card when she turns 21.

Yup it's a mega pain in the butt but I guess the law is the law. I've been living/working in Orlando for the last year and have learnt the hard way that many places, mostly restaurants require a passport for alcohol. Sometimes I'll try the photo of my passport and Aussie licence combination but as you said, there's no real continuity between restaurants/states/companies. Walmart and supermarkets I can usually use my Australian licence as they're more amazed at how cool the licence looks than the DOB on it but places like Disney and chain restaurants who have big liquor licences at stake will *almost* always require the passport.

I was 23 and had no problems using my licence (which was actually a learner's permit) at the place in DCA that serves margaritas. We left our passports locked in the safe at the hotel reception and as I'd already been pick pocketed once that trip I wouldn't even consider taking my passport out with me.

Whenever I have been asked for ID at DLR (which is not every time I order alcohol), they have always insisted on seeing my passport. It doesn't bother me, I've just learned to carry it around with me. It fits nicely into the little inside pocket in every bag I have, even the very small ones, so I've never really considered it a burden.

Funny story about the first time it happened to me. It was actually my birthday, and I was buying a celebratory flashing cocktail at the Mad T Party. I gave the CM my Australian drivers licence when she asked for ID, and she asked me to please wait a moment. I thought she'd noticed it was my birthday and was off to organise a special surprise for me. It was a bit of a disappointment when she just came back and told me she'd have to see my passport :rotfl2:

I have never been asked for ID anywhere else in the US, only at DLR.

I was just going to post a new thread about this until I did a search & found this one! I felt so bad when the girl in front of me in line at the Canada popcorn cart was turned down because she didn't have her Canadian passport to show along with her ID! I guess she won't be making that mistake again.

We were flying domestically out of LAX once (to Montana or Orlando, I can't remember which) and our Australian D/Ls were not good enough as a form of photo ID; the only ID accepted by security were our passports (thankfully they were in our hand luggage and not checked bags!).

Australian license has photo ID and full birth date on the front.
On the back of the license it has month and year of birth so large you cannot miss it.

Understandably people do not want to carry passports around wherever they go when they have other forms of ID available.
I don't think the problem is necessarily that the cast member can't read the ID, but they need a blanket rule because
1) Some IDs in some countries might be hard to read or not have photo and birthday
2) People fake IDs and it would be hard for a cast member to learn to spot fakes from other countries.
Usually a copy of the passport has been accepted

This will be hard to beat...

In 2008 when I was just shy of 42 yrs old with a slightly greying goatee I was asked for ID at Walmart when I purchased a carton of Millers light.
Less than half an hour later I was shopping at a Hanes store when I was informed by the young 20 something female at the checkout that because today was Tuesday I was eligible for a Seniors discount if I could just show my ID to prove I was over 50.

Love the place, but..... Only in America :-)))

I'm over 50 and was recently asked to show ID when buying cough syrup at target in the US (I'm from Canada). I know I don't look my age, but still! :)

My 30 year old daughter (who also doesn't look her age) wanted to buy her father a glass of sangria last time we were in California Adventure (DLR California), and was refused when she showed her Canadian driver's license, which sports her photo and date of birth. They told her she had to show her passport, which of course she wasn't carrying around with her in the parks. She was pretty vexed when it happened because she really wanted to treat her dad!

Great tip about taking a photo of your passport with your phone, and then just showing complimentary photo ID! I'll let her know about that...

I understand why they've come up with the rule....there's enough fake US ID's so picking it out is something they don't want to deal with.... I'm just REALLY glad it's mentioned on the paperwork for my Disney wedding as I'd never heard of it before.
I'm a baby face in my 30s and I expect to be carded in the USA. I really don't mind much...it's just a case of being prepared and having what I need to make sure I don't get denied. I've got images of mine and my fiancé's passport in my phone now but also have a really slim crossbody I'll try carry my passport in on most days so I don't have to worry...

I know the fiancé is miffed though but if they card him I'll be real shocked...hehe...and look forward to the looks and phrases only a very sarcastic Brit can pull off

I am in NC and was working at a restaurant and was told I needed to card EVERYONE who ordered alcohol because state rules are you have to have a VALID ID (non expired) to buy alcohol. So even if you are 80 and look it, if you don't have ID that is current, you can't (by state laws) buy alcohol. Go figure.

In Boston, I had to show ID to buy alcohol at a supermarket
To get alcoholic drinks at the conference I attended - had to show ID and get a wristband
(I'm over 50)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter