AKL Pictures?????

Twoboysnmygirl (Karen),

Your pictures are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Shelli

1AE32291-FA7A-4ABC-B5C6-D92A0A10C5B4-2036-000001394927C098_zps68ef39e3.jpg

(firepit at Jambo)

406067DC-07E6-45E2-AA09-36C50227282D-2036-0000013DBD89062A_zpsd40f7624.jpg

(just inside the doors from Arusha Overlook; walk up stairs to Lobby level/3d floor)

619CD532-DCC2-478A-AA18-469C470092F6-2036-00000138B623D402_zpsef7776e1.jpg

(walking out onto Arusha Overlook; Zebra Trail, Arusha Savanna view rooms are to your right)

0538AA73-C808-4FBB-8A34-06102DE4DB0C-2036-0000013897C9A95F_zps29522aae.jpg

Banana trees :banana:

Nice pics again! Definitely did not notice the bananas when we were there in April!

Nice pics again! Definitely did not notice the bananas when we were there in April!

Thanks psac :)

I noticed some by the pool in March 2012 but that was the first time I'd seen any in all my many stays since 2003 :cool2:

I also saw some at the Poly one evening this trip :)

Killer shots Pixel!

I am planning a trip to WDW staying at least 3 nights at the AKL savanna view for this reason and my kids would love seing the animals.

By looking at your photos, you know something about something. I was trying to decide what to pack for my kit. I have to fly so I was trying to lighten my load by leaving my 70-200 2.8 at home, but looking at your photos I am thinking otherwise.

Do you think it would be worth it taking the 70-200? I was planning on taking 14-24 2.8, 50 1.4 and 24-70 2.8. Also, some lighter tripod for time laps and long exposure shots.

Thanks.

Killer shots Pixel!

I am planning a trip to WDW staying at least 3 nights at the AKL savanna view for this reason and my kids would love seing the animals.

By looking at your photos, you know something about something. I was trying to decide what to pack for my kit. I have to fly so I was trying to lighten my load by leaving my 70-200 2.8 at home, but looking at your photos I am thinking otherwise.

Do you think it would be worth it taking the 70-200? I was planning on taking 14-24 2.8, 50 1.4 and 24-70 2.8. Also, some lighter tripod for time laps and long exposure shots.

Thanks.

TAKE IT! Learn from my mistake!!! I rented a wide angle and was so excited to use it, I thought I would leave my 55-200 at home. BIG mistake. I could have gotten so many fantastic shots of the animals up close and I was kicking myself the whole time. I did get stunning wide angle shots, but I really wanted those closer shots as well after a while...

TAKE IT!..Learn from my mistake!!! I rented a wide angle and was so excited to use it, I thought I would leave my 55-200 at home. BIG mistake. I could have gotten so many fantastic shots of the animals up close and I was kicking myself the whole time. I did get stunning wide angle shots, but I really wanted those closer shots as well after a while...

Thanks for the insight Twoboysnmygirl.

I am always afraid of needing something that I left at home! I can always run and grab a speed light and some enloops if I really needed some fill, but not a $2100 lens.

All I need is a lighter carbon fiber tripod and I will be set.

I can't wait!

Killer shots Pixel!

Thanks.

Thanks for the compliments! Your kids will love it there.

Yes, you will definitely want to take the 70-200mm. Even if you just leave it in the room and use it for the savanna view. That lens would also be good for the Kilimanjaro Safari at the park too. It wouldn't be needed at any other parks, though.

The animal shots I posted, were from the Wanyama Safari. That's where you take a ride to see all 5 savannas at AKL. For that, I used a 24-120mm f/4. The animals come right up to the truck! Here's our trip report of the Safari: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48116210#post48116210

I take my carbon fiber tripod to the parks and store them in a locker. Just make sure your tripod can fit into one. Mine fits diagonally in the locker at MK, without the head, at 21.5 inches. At that size, it also fits into a carry-on rolling bag. None of my photography equipment gets put into checked luggage for the plane ride.

Thanks for the compliments! Your kids will love it there.

Yes, you will definitely want to take the 70-200mm. Even if you just leave it in the room and use it for the savanna view. That lens would also be good for the Kilimanjaro Safari at the park too. It wouldn't be needed at any other parks, though.

The animal shots I posted, were from the Wanyama Safari. That's where you take a ride to see all 5 savannas at AKL. For that, I used a 24-120mm f/4. The animals come right up to the truck! Here's our trip report of the Safari: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48116210#post48116210

Thanks for the info. I think I will diffenetly take the 70-200, but I will need to purchase a light carbon fiber travel tripod. Looks like I will need a new option for a camera bag that will hold a tripod and a few kids supplies too.

I loved your TR too. Looks like a great time.

Hello Everyone - Just wanted to share a collage of pictures from our July 2013 vacation.

DD and I took her BF (Lucy) for her first Disney trip.

Thanks

They're not called Value because of the bad view, but because they are slightly smaller than regular DVC rooms. If I remember correctly, they were the first ones being converted to DVC accomodations from regular hotel rooms.

We got a very nice Savannah view one time I stayed there in a value studio:

PICT0120.JPG

It was the first room on the right on the Ostrich trail, right after the gate to the Concierge area stairwell.

They're not called Value because of the bad view, but because they are slightly smaller than regular DVC rooms. If I remember correctly, they were the first ones being converted to DVC accomodations from regular hotel rooms.

We got a very nice Savannah view one time I stayed there in a value studio:

It was the first room on the right on the Ostrich trail, right after the gate to the Concierge area stairwell.

I should have edited my post - found out about the view thing after a board search!

Was it noisy where you were? I saw a reference to all the value studios being near elevators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter