Akershus Change

Now they're just making stuff up.

There are many character meals that are buffets and, for the love of Pete, Akershus can't figure out how to do it? Send the manager over to Crystal Palace or Cape May Cafe or Chef Mickeys. Sounds like a load of hooey to me and they're just trying to cut costs.
Yeah...that is what we said. Think it was just an excuse.

When you arrived did they tell you about how / what was served, or was it brought immediately to your table? I agree with jenjersnap about waste - if they bring us the cold meat and fish we will likely leave it all. I'd like the chance to decline a couple of things. Thanks for the information anjalee6.
Yes. They told us what there would be but didn't say the specific fishes, meats, or cheese. Everything else they explained.

Yeah...that is what we said. Think it was just an excuse.

There has to be more to this because there will be an increased cost if so many of the options are now served to every table. Unless there was a lot od waste at the buffet, this seems to be a lot of food served that must be tossed if it is not eaten. I know that at least 1/2 of our crew woul not bother with most of the cold items if we passed by them on the buffet, so on our table they will be wasted.

I think that there is some behind the scenes changes that may be in the pipeline.

Do you still get mickey waffles with the meal?

Mickey waffles have never been an official component of Akershus menu.

Some people have reported being able to get them upon request, others have been told it they are reserved for customers with allergies. YMMV.

No waffles but they've never been on the menu.
They will gladly bring a plate full of the smaller mickey waffles if you ask your server. We asked when we went last Nov and they brought them out to us with no problem. They are not on the menu, but if anyone is like me and LOVES mickey waffles, this was a real treat! None of us have food allergies or anything.

This is kind of a bummer- glad they will still bring you some of cold items offered to your table.. but we loved the cold buffet and really enjoyed just getting what we liked along with the hot items served at the table. It has been this way for years.. why change things now is what I am wondering.

Last edited:
This may seem a silly question, but do they still offer cream cheese with the bagels? My girls really wanted bagels with cream cheese at this meal. It was one of the reasons they wanted to go back to Akershus for breakfast. Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer this.

Disney is really hacking vegetarian meals left and right these days at table service restaurants. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and always talk up how easy it is to eat veg at WDW, but... they are testing my patience!!!

I'm noticing that, too.

Now they're just making stuff up.

Hey, that's my line. :)

So... If I'm reading correctly, they *do* still bring fruit and yogurt as well? Minus the meat options, my vegetarian family could still get potatoes, eggs, fruit, yogurt, cheese, and pastries, then... Correct? That is a lot better than what I was imagining here.

Ooh I would never trust yogurt; too much of what is sold at the grocery store has gelatin and kosher gelatin (fish).

Can anyone comment on the lunch situation, please? I have an adr there this Thursday. We may need to change our plans. DH was looking forward to the buffet. Tell me about lunch! I may need to rework my plans. Thanks!!!

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread as the buffet was the main reason we kept going back for lunch. My daughter loved the cold salads, vegetables, and turkey. We had lunch booked for our upcoming trip but I canceled it.

Has anyone found out if the buffet removal is permanent or if it is just in the testing phase? We have a reservation on 12/1 for dinner and I'm not sure if we will keep it if the buffet is gone.

That's really too bad. This used to be my favorite Epcot restaurant. Then they added the princesses and jacked up the price. Now they took away the cold board which was the best part of the meal. No reason to ever go back now. This is very disappointing.

Well, at least the bean counters will be happy :mad:

Don't be disappointed. We went for breakfast last week. We asked for more of the mackerel and salmon and for some more bacon. They brought three plates heaping with the requested items. So much that we couldn't finish all that they brought. Even though it isn't a buffet, they will happily fill your gullet with whatever you request. Unlike CRT, where they begrudgingly bring additional food items.

I am so grateful for this thread (and the DIS boards in general), because this would have been a MAJOR disappointment for us had we gotten there in a couple of months and discovered this once it was too late to do anything about it. So much for our Thanksgiving breakfast!!! I just talked it over with the kids, and I'm going to drop the ADR and reserve a meal elsewhere. We're already doing CRT and BOG on other days, so we don't need the princess interactions (though my kids were hoping to get a photo with Belle--which was the main reason we were doing Akershus in the first place). Sigh.

Anyone want a 10:20 Akershus ressie on Thanksgiving? If so, LMK and I'd be happy to coordinate the cancellation timing.

Don't drop it. All the menu items are available, you just have to request more and they will happily bring it. It was hands down our best dining experience last week and we had a lot of them....we were on the DDxP and ate mostly character breakfasts...Ohana was a close second, though. Even though the buffet is gone, you can still request more of any item.....

That is too sad, count me in as one who loved the buffet before the meal. In fact, my DD12 chooses things to eat off the buffet more then the actual food that came to the table (she isn't a fan of eggs but loved the fruit, yogurt with granola, and various pastries). She will be so disappointed, actually my whole family will be disappointed. It will be interesting to see if DH will insist that we eat here after our upcoming trip. This is his favorite Disney restaurant for breakfast, not for the princess interaction, but he really enjoys the food. And I totally agree with the PP that said, as long as they still have the cheesy potatoes, everything may be still o.k.

You still get the fruit and granola and yogurt. If you want more of anything, just ask. The servers don't get an attitude like CRT. They are still working for tips there, so they are very attentive.

I can now understand if it was because of the princesses coming around...we were at the cold buffet once and my granddaughter missed the ONE she wanted to see...so we had to wait for another visit around...so if that is one of the reasons..I can understand that..we would of been done our meal..but waited for one particular one...this has happened at Crystal palace also...if you miss one Character..you wait and wait...thus not turning over another table for another family

glad to know what they do bring out ..some of my grandkids favorites..yogurt and granola and fresh fruit...

You still get the fruit and granola and yogurt. If you want more of anything, just ask. The servers don't get an attitude like CRT. They are still working for tips there, so they are very attentive.

Thank you for the information, I had read about the pastry basket and the meat and cheeses coming around to the tables, but I wasn't sure if they were still offering the fruit and yogurt too. My DD12 will be very happy because she does love her fruit and yogurt :goodvibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter