AirTran Vs. Southwest

The merger between SW and Airtran isn't going to change anything (from what I heard). They are going to keep different names and the only addition is that SW will be going into airports that Airtran goes into now. For me that would be a bonus because Airtran goes out of my local airport, but I find it cheaper to drive to BWI to get a flight to Orlando.

You have heard wrong! AirTran will cease to exist, and only Southwest planes will be flying - probably some time in 2012.

http://www.southwest.com/html/about-southwest/lowfaresfarther.html?int=HOMEAIRTRAN00000110502

When my flights have gone down in price, a phonecall to AirTran resulted in a credit (to my A+ Rewards account) for the price difference. If you just want to change or cancel a flight, there is a $75 fee.

That's good to know.

I wonder if anyone remembers that ValuJet merged with Airtran after it's Florida Everglades crash in May 1996.

I remember!

I flew Air Train Maine to Florida last December.
My annoyance was that the flight time changed three times after I booked the ticket. I was supposed to land 1:00. I would have time for a short visit to a park and a sit down meal. I ended up landing at 7:30!

Other than that, the flight, etc. was fine. I liked the free internet onboard.

Coming back, I used Jet Blue, no free internt, but lots of nice snacks!

I remember!

I flew Air Train Maine to Florida last December.
My annoyance was that the flight time changed three times after I booked the ticket. I was supposed to land 1:00. I would have time for a short visit to a park and a sit down meal. I ended up landing at 7:30!

Other than that, the flight, etc. was fine. I liked the free internet onboard.

Coming back, I used Jet Blue, no free internt, but lots of nice snacks!
When the flight time changes (as it does on most airlines) - you can call AirTran and ask them to move you to a flight with better times.

When the flight time changes (as it does on most airlines) - you can call AirTran and ask them to move you to a flight with better times.

I kept the flight I had because it was non-stop. It is such a rarity to get a non-stop flight. It was so nice!

According to Air Tran's current schedule, my non-stop flight was originally 11:24 - 2:35. The earlier flight I might have chosen was 6:15 - 1:00. 3 hr 11 min vs 6 hr 45 min.
My 11:24 departure ended up as a 4:00 departure. Oh, well. It was okay since I was down at WDW for over a week. Flight change times like this make me realize the importance of arriving the day before the ship leaves port.

with only one flight out of LVI, when the time changes - we have no choice but to go with the flow. Disadvantage of a very small airport.

with only one flight out of LVI, when the time changes - we have no choice but to go with the flow. Disadvantage of a very small airport.

I understand. AirTran has one non-stop flight from Bloomington, IL to Orlando 4 days a week. It's a morning flight, which is great, but the same plane departs first from Orlando and then returns to Orlando. Because I don't want to get picked up at WDW at 5:30 a.m. in December, I will book a connecting flight home on the airline with the best price. If all fares are the same, I will probably choose American for the airline miles.

**ETA - AirTran also has several connecting flights from BMI every day - but the non-stop is only 4 days a week.

My family and I have flown AirTran many times and have never had any issues with them. On average we tend to get fares for about $84 each way to Orlando with non-stop flights.

Yup. This. Don't forget to add in the baggage fee and seat fee with the price though. Even with that they were still a good deal cheaper.

Correct. And, if the price goes down you can receive a voucher. I used our voucher for our baggage fees.

my family likes SW better due to newer and nicer planes. Issues we always run into are the same with everyone else, SW does not charge for bags and nicer planes, AirTran has better flight times, so it’s all about tradeoffs. SW charges an extra $10 for an early gate spot while AT charges $15 extra to pick your seats prior to 24 hours out, so this is about a wash for us. For our 2009 and 2010 trips we have flow down on one and back on another so don’t think you have to pick one for both legs of the trip to get the best deal. The $20 or $25 AT now charges per back basically make SW the cheaper option.
Only fear now that they are merging will be less competition (these are the only two that fly direct out of IND to MCO) so next year the deals will be gone.
Of all the years flying we have had only one issue were AT left a gate checked stroller behind so they brought it to the house the next day.
Good Luck

When my flights have gone down in price, a phonecall to AirTran resulted in a credit (to my A+ Rewards account) for the price difference. If you just want to change or cancel a flight, there is a $75 fee.

Thanks for the info. Now that I think about it, I think I asked if another flight was added for a better time, would there be a charge and they said yes. I wanted to fly out of allentown, that is the closest airport to me

I normally fly SW because they fly out of Cleveland. AirTran flies out of Akron and I flew them for the first time last Sept/Oct for the Wine & Dine half marathon. I had a good experience and while it was a one off and not really enough to form a good overall opinion that one flight went perfectly.

I've never tried SW because they fly out of Baltimore, unlike AirTran that flies out of DC or Dulles. I like the fact they don't have a baggage fee though. Other than that I love AirTran. I fly with them a lot, both to Florida and California, and I've never had any problems with them.

I will be flying with US Airways on my next trip to WDW, and they are also good. :)

Thanks for the info. Now that I think about it, I think I asked if another flight was added for a better time, would there be a charge and they said yes. I wanted to fly out of allentown, that is the closest airport to me

Right, for a better time you would have to pay the difference in flight. If they change the time of your original reservation you can switch to another time at no charge. And, as explained, if the price of the original flight goes down you can get a voucher. I did that and my baggage fees ended up being "free" as I used the edit.

my family likes SW better due to newer and nicer planes. Issues we always run into are the same with everyone else, SW does not charge for bags and nicer planes, AirTran has better flight times, so it’s all about tradeoffs. SW charges an extra $10 for an early gate spot while AT charges $15 extra to pick your seats prior to 24 hours out, so this is about a wash for us. For our 2009 and 2010 trips we have flow down on one and back on another so don’t think you have to pick one for both legs of the trip to get the best deal. The $20 or $25 AT now charges per back basically make SW the cheaper option.
Only fear now that they are merging will be less competition (these are the only two that fly direct out of IND to MCO) so next year the deals will be gone.
Of all the years flying we have had only one issue were AT left a gate checked stroller behind so they brought it to the house the next day.
Good Luck

Depends on the seat. We only pick the $6 seats. I, too, am concerned about the lack of competition now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter