AirTran Vs. Southwest

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
I was just checking the flights on Southwest for my December trip. I am not a happy camper. I am a first flight out, last flight back kind of girl. Only if they are non stop. I am paranoid about losing luggage. Anyway, Southwest doesn't have a morning flight. :eek: I have never flown AirTran, but I have heard not such great things about AirTran. I will admit the price is better than Southwest. However, I have seen the prices for SW go down around 3 months out. Do AirTran prices go down like that? I'm so confused!!!!!!

Kim

I did know about the acquisition, but they are still doing separate bookings. I can't buy airfare until after August anyway. Darn union contract.

Kim

My family and I have flown AirTran many times and have never had any issues with them. On average we tend to get fares for about $84 each way to Orlando with non-stop flights.

We have flown AirTran the last three trips down to Orlando. They are one of the few airlines with direct flights from our home airport to Orlando. We have only had one minor seating issue, that they eventually resolved, so I have no complaints. We have two future bookings already lines up with them.

We like AirTran - they fly out of Lehigh Valley International Airport which is so much more convenient for us than Newark. The only downside is there is only 1 flight a day (in and out), and it's a late afternoon flight. I'd prefer an earlier flight too, but it's a trade-off for the convenience. We do like the airline and have had no issues at all with them. :thumbsup2

I just flew to Orlando last week on Airtran. Very good service and no complaints. The one thing i prefer with Southwest is no fee for baggage. It was a $20 fee on Airtran.

Southwest flights have started getting higher for my flight dates. I ended up buying someone else, but if you see prices you can live with, jump on them. LOL

I have no complaints with AirTran. Always received great service but I don't think you can beat the flexibility that Southwest gives you. Not to mention free luggage. I would take a flight that included a stop just to fly Southwest.

Another frequent Airtran flier here..... no complaints!! They also offer direct flights for us, and we've never had a problem! Hope it all works out for you!

I don't know if things are different since SW bought airtran, but last year I called airtran about this and they said there is a fee to changes even if it's just for a lower price on the same flight

I've also had no problems with them. And I notice that they are lot cheaper than SW out of Philly.

I've also had no problems with them. And I notice that they are lot cheaper than SW out of Philly.
Airtran has also been cheaper than Southwest out of Minneapolis - even adding the fees that Airtran has that SW doesn't charge.
We expected SW to be competitive once they came into the Minneapolis market, but have not found them to be.

We like AirTran - they fly out of Lehigh Valley International Airport which is so much more convenient for us than Newark. The only downside is there is only 1 flight a day (in and out), and it's a late afternoon flight. I'd prefer an earlier flight too, but it's a trade-off for the convenience. We do like the airline and have had no issues at all with them. :thumbsup2

As DW states, no issues at all. Once, we had a delay leaving Orlando. It was fully explained (a flight attendant had to leave because of a medical emergency involving her daughter, another had to arrive on an incoming flight as a replacement, we left 20 minutes late and the replacement got a round of applause).:thumbsup2 When possible, we also take advantage of the check-in upgrade to business class (free checked luggage, free drinks, more room). For us $69 p/p each way. Given the fares, we still pay less with the upgrade than we would on some other airlines for economy. Business class will disappear when SW takes over. We're going to miss it.:sad1:

I LOVE Airtran. I have been using them twice a year since 05 and have another flight booked in Dec. I'm dreading when Southwest takes over. If they don't keep things the way they are right now with Airtran... I'll be looking for another company. I don't like that Southwest doesn't offer Business Class. I'm more than willing to pay more to be comfortable. And I'd rather pay for my bags than sit three across.
Nancy :sad1:

I wonder if anyone remembers that ValuJet merged with Airtran after it's Florida Everglades crash in May 1996.

I LOVE Airtran. I have been using them twice a year since 05 and have another flight booked in Dec. I'm dreading when Southwest takes over. If they don't keep things the way they are right now with Airtran... I'll be looking for another company. I don't like that Southwest doesn't offer Business Class. I'm more than willing to pay more to be comfortable. And I'd rather pay for my bags than sit three across.
Nancy :sad1:

Another lover of Airtran here. :thumbsup2 I am really sad that SW purchased them. For me Airtran was less expensive and SW does not offer direct flights to Orlando from my area.

I don't know if things are different since SW bought airtran, but last year I called airtran about this and they said there is a fee to changes even if it's just for a lower price on the same flight

When my flights have gone down in price, a phonecall to AirTran resulted in a credit (to my A+ Rewards account) for the price difference. If you just want to change or cancel a flight, there is a $75 fee.

I have used both airlines...I only had one problem last year flying from Baltimore to Orlando with Airtran. We were late leaving Baltimore (we were the first flight out of BWI after the monster snow storm and had computer issues) and we arrived in ATL a little behind and I didn't have time to make my connecting flight so they got me on another flight to MCO with no problems.

The merger between SW and Airtran isn't going to change anything (from what I heard). They are going to keep different names and the only addition is that SW will be going into airports that Airtran goes into now. For me that would be a bonus because Airtran goes out of my local airport, but I find it cheaper to drive to BWI to get a flight to Orlando.

Flying home from Orlando last year I opted for the $39.00 upgrade to Business Class...It was worth it because the flight home was full and the leg room was much better in Business Class than in Coach.

My advise is to compare the prices between SW and Airtran with the baggage fees added into your Airtran flight price and see which one is the better deal.

I have never had a problem with SW either...In fact, I would rather fly either airline rather than another major airline. Both companies have good customer service. I find the flight attendants on SW are a little more friendly than Airtran. That is one aspect I hope that SW instills on Airtran.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter