Afraid to Fly - Need Airline Advice

I recommend going to the doctor and getting a prescription. It can just take the edge off a bit. Plus, just knowing that it's in your purse can make you feel better, even if you don't take it.

I feel for you. I have to fly twice this spring---once for work and once for...DISNEY. Hey, if it gets you to Disney, it's worth it!!

inkkognito said:
An interesting point about FAs...we fly a lot (at least twice a month roundtrip to Orlando), and I am scared to death of flying so I tend to watch the FAs too. Since we often sit by the jump seats, I've also talked to many of them. I mentioned watching to see if they are scared, and one FA told me that no matter what he might be thinking, he can maintain his calm in order to keep the nervous passengers calm. He said true emergencies are rare, but once there was turbulence so bad that he ended up having to lie down in the aisle because he could not get to his seat. A little boy was watching him and was on the verge of panic, so he turned it into a joke...he said he was scared inside but on the outside he knew it was critical to maintain his professionalism and keep the little boy (and everyone else!) calm. FAs are definitely true professionals!
Barb
It just dawned on me one day as I sat there all tense. Watching them chatting it reminded me of myself at my own job. I just got to thinking how it is just another day at the office for them. I don't "stare" at them, LOL, I just take my cues from them as I watch them happily go about their work.

As far as staying calm in an emergency, I have to do that in my work as well being a cardiac nurse. It's called masking and means you may be ready to fall apart on the inside but on the outside you better be calm. We deal with life threatening emergencies all the time and have to be calm and cool no matter what. We are taught to "run to the room but walk inside". If we're not calm then the patient definitely won't be but if we are then it goes a long way toward making the patient feel safe. I'm glad to know FAs are trained the same way. :)

I've done the prescription med route and it didn't help at all. Maybe having two small children to care for negates the effects of the med. :hyper2: A glass of wine is much more soothing to me, maybe next time I'll order a mimosa on my early flight out. :wizard:

inkkognito said:
An interesting point about FAs...we fly a lot (at least twice a month roundtrip to Orlando), and I am scared to death of flying so I tend to watch the FAs too. Since we often sit by the jump seats, I've also talked to many of them. I mentioned watching to see if they are scared, and one FA told me that no matter what he might be thinking, he can maintain his calm in order to keep the nervous passengers calm. He said true emergencies are rare, but once there was turbulence so bad that he ended up having to lie down in the aisle because he could not get to his seat. A little boy was watching him and was on the verge of panic, so he turned it into a joke...he said he was scared inside but on the outside he knew it was critical to maintain his professionalism and keep the little boy (and everyone else!) calm. FAs are definitely true professionals!
Barb

Good point. As far as reassurance goes (aka "knowing if you are going to die"), it is better to watch experienced passengers. They have no professionalism to maintain. If everyone else on the plane is calm, then things are OK, in spite of that noise that clearly sounds like the plane is coming apart at the seams.

I flew to California a few years ago when my DS was 3.5 and I bought him one of those Color Wonder coloring books and that certainly kept me entertained. I think I colored the whole dang thing :rolleyes: I'm not sure what he did - heh - just kidding. But taking care of little kids on the plane does keep you busy.

I'm afraid to fly as well. One of my co-workers was on the hijacked flight that went into the Pentagon - along with her husband and two young daughters. I have sometimes heard that flights out of National had more marshals on them - not sure if that is still true or not. I think we may be safer flying out of this area (you're in Maryland right?) - lots of extra security now. At least that is what I tell myself :earboy2:

There is always Amtrak - you leave out of DC around 4pm or so and get to Orlando around 11 a.m. the next morning.

I didn't read all these posts so please forgive me if someone already said this, but what about Amtrak? My DH will not fly- period, but we've had great success with the train in the past (even though he wants to try driving this time) :sad2:

I actually now have a room on hold on the Autotrain and another post on these boards asking about how to handle the sleeping arrangements in a Superliner Bedroom Vs. Family Bedroom with a 1 and 2 year old.

It's funny, because all these replies about flying had me pretty convinced, but then when I just mentioned the train to my husband, he jumped on it! And my son (the two year old) said he preferred the train. And he has no fear of either, but I guess it sounded like more fun. Go figure!

Anyway, thanks again to all of you. And if you have experience with Autotrain, please feel free to look for my other post or pass on your advice here. Thanks so much!

The auto train would be a nice option but when I priced it from MA it was almost $2k for us and involved changing trains with a layover in NY. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter