Afraid to Fly - Need Airline Advice

ArRzrbk

<font color=red>The Greatest Thing You Can Learn i
I am afraid to fly, but my husband has just announced that he prefers we not drive to our first trip "home" as DVC members to the Beach Club Villas for DS's 3rd birthday. We were looking at about a 14 hour drive with a 1 year old and a 3 year old. Anyway, we've thought about several airlines...

1.) Ted - I never heard of it, but husband says it is run by United Airlines and has all new planes and great fares

2.) Delta - Husband says he much prefers United to Delta, but I have flown Delta to Disney once before and had a good experience

3.) United Airlines

4.) Southwest - Heard they are a fun airline, but I know husband is not keen on no assigned seats

We'd also consider others. We need good fares, and I need a solid airline with a good safety record. I am a big, big, chicken :sad1: You're help and advice and encouragement are much appreciated.

With a 1 and a 4 yearold SW will let you pre-board so I wouldn't worry about no assigned seats. You really ought to purchase a seat for the 1 year old.

HI

I understand you nervousness about flying. Put your fears in this respective. Flying is absolutely much much more safer than driving. If you drive, you could be stuck in traffic congestion for hours on end (and you and your husband may get frustrated). This happened to my friend who decided to drive to WDW and got stuck in an traffic delay on 1-95 due to a CAR ACCIDENT.

Another perspective.....this may be morbid but realistic. Ask yourself, how many people do you know or know of that was killed in an car accident??? (I personally and sadly know of around 2 or 3 dozen). Then ask youself, how many people do you know that was killed in an airplane accident? Chances are it's probably none. When I thought of this.....I instantly felt much bettter about our decision to fly to WDW.

I see you're from Md, so I assuming you'll be going to Baltimore. They have great great rates from there and you will get to WDW in a very short 2 hours!!!!!!

How about getting yourself a glass a wine before you board to get the edge off? Or getting a prescription for an anti-anxiety drugs.

Good luck and pixie dust to you. You will have a GREAT AWESOME time the at the magically and happiest place in the World!

All of your choices are fine. I would just pick the one with the best times and fares.

Always think this... when is the last time you heard of a plane crashing????? Car accidents happen all the time..... plane crashes almost never happen!

Air travel is safe and fun.

Duds

Just make sure you get a non-stop (direct flight) to Orlando. I think it's a hassle to go up and down and change planes.

Hi!

If your airports have Delta Song or Jetblue, I HIGHLY recommend them! I detest flying, but I have absolutely no problems flying on Jetblue...it reminds me of a train (but nicer!). The plane is roomy, there is TV for distraction, and the stewardesses are super-nice. Song is not quite as good (more like an airline), but it also has TVs for distraction. Both have very good saftey records.

Whatever you do, definitely get a one-way flight...that way, you only have to deal with the stress of one take off and landing! Also, think about some Dramamine...it is technically for airsickness, but it makes me so sleepy that I fall right asleep and don't worry about the ride the whole time! :banana:

--Babka Gal

I was terrified of flying after I had my son. In 1996 we flew from Portland, OR to WDW and it almost ruined our trip because I worked myself up into a good panic attack.

Back in 2003 I took a job in CA but still live in OR ,so I have to fly regularly. Last week when I was flying home I was looking out the window at the beautiful landscape below and kept thinking to myself what was I nervous about.. I still don't know, I think it's just I wasn't in control of the plane.

Anyhow, I am more nervous driving the streets of Los Angeles than I am flying anywhere. As others have said, it's a very safe means of travel and you will be fine. I know you've heard that many times and it's hard to believe, but you really will be fine. Everything is so beautiful from the air.

Don't worry yourself too much and have a great trip.

I know how you feel, I hate to fly and probably always will. We have driven to FL from NJ a couple of times and I just couldn't do it when we went in Oct. We flew Delta Song, I love the TV! This was my DS first flight and I was worried how he would be, he was fine. I also will not fly on certain airlines, I was so worried about flying Song the first time, but I loved it.

I do take a valium when I fly now. I use to get myself so worked up days before a flight, the valium does help but I still get a little nervous.

I would also always choose a direct flight. I hate the take off and I don't want to do it more then once. When we went to Hawaii we did a direct flight, it was long, but so worth it.

Dan,
Thanks for the link. I have the fear of flying thing too. Mostly because I only do it about once a year.

Susie

Airtran flies about 5 nonstops daily from Baltimore-Washington (BWI) to Orlando, and I highly recommend them. With young children, having a nonstop is priceless. It's pretty nice for adults too!

Flying is so safe that if you WANTED to die in crash on a commercial airliner, and spent your whole life trying to do so, you couldn't do it! I know that irrational fears are just as hard to face but maybe that will help a little.

I'm kind of nervous flying too. What I've learned to do is watch the flight attendants chit chat non-chalantly, all in a day's work. It makes me realize if it were really unsafe they probably wouldn't do it as their life's work. I picture how many hours I work at my job and think they're just doing the same. So if they're not nervous than I don't need to be. (OTOH, if they get nervous then I know we're really in trouble, LOL). Good luck. :wizard:

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. I am still not sure I will have the courage to fly, but I am going to do my best. I do think it would be a whole lot easier on the rest of the family - it's three to one! And it does seem like any of those airlines would be OK. Thanks again.

Pea-n-Me said:
I'm kind of nervous flying too. What I've learned to do is watch the flight attendants chit chat non-chalantly, all in a day's work. It makes me realize if it were really unsafe they probably wouldn't do it as their life's work. I picture how many hours I work at my job and think they're just doing the same. So if they're not nervous than I don't need to be. (OTOH, if they get nervous then I know we're really in trouble, LOL). Good luck. :wizard:

Oh great! Now the FA's are going to think I am weird because I am going to be staring at them to see any change in attitude! :)

shatzjsl said:
Oh great! Now the FA's are going to think I am weird because I am going to be staring at them to see any change in attitude! :)

Seriously, watch them on your next flight. They are still up and moving while the plane is headed to the runway. The sit down as the plane makes the turn on to the runway.... I have never seen a flight attendant concerned, ever. Last trip the FA read the paper during takeoff. It is just another day at work for them.

Flying can make you feel physically ill. If that is the case, some of the suggestions of other posters are great. Really, flying is very safe and think about what is on the other end, MICKEY!

Breathe, breathe again, and walk down the jetway. You get to your destination so much quicker and you can enjoy the remainder of your trip.

I read, listen to music, and relax during a flight. Enjoy!

Duds

Another option for you would be Independence Air out of Dulles (I dont know where in Maryland you live). I personally like Independence but hate dulles alot so I dont fly with them too often, they have great service. I personally prefer to fly out of National eventhough it costs more, it is very easy to navigate that airport!

My SIL is a pilot!! Shes petite and blonde the lat person youd think is a pilot. Anyways she always gets upset either people think shes the FA or business wont fly with her since shes a woman!!!!! which really ticks her off!!!!

One time when my parents were going somewhere she was their pilot. My mom was talking to the guy accross the aisle (my mom loves to talk!!!!)

he mentioned that was wasnt too happy to hear they had a woman pilot and asked my mom how she felt welll my om couldnt resist the opportunity to say that was her daughter in law and a vry competent pilot.!!!

The guy didnt know what else to say!!

sort of a funny story

An interesting point about FAs...we fly a lot (at least twice a month roundtrip to Orlando), and I am scared to death of flying so I tend to watch the FAs too. Since we often sit by the jump seats, I've also talked to many of them. I mentioned watching to see if they are scared, and one FA told me that no matter what he might be thinking, he can maintain his calm in order to keep the nervous passengers calm. He said true emergencies are rare, but once there was turbulence so bad that he ended up having to lie down in the aisle because he could not get to his seat. A little boy was watching him and was on the verge of panic, so he turned it into a joke...he said he was scared inside but on the outside he knew it was critical to maintain his professionalism and keep the little boy (and everyone else!) calm. FAs are definitely true professionals!
Barb

Wow Barb, what a story! I think I would pass out or have a heart attack if turbulence got that bad. Turbulence and take off's are the worst for me.

The fearofflying.com is a really good site. You can even print out pages and go through a little check list which is very helpful. Try and take the time to go through it. It may not completely "cure" you but it does help. Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter