Advise for a trip with someone with a serious illness..

BlessedMomOfTwo

Mouseketeer
I am hoping for some advise from someone who may have gone on a trip with someone with a serious illness - mostly from an emotional perspective as we have already reviewed with his doctor about restrictions, etc .

My dh has been having some major cardiac issues since the day after Christmas last year. While we have a great team working on his care, he hasn't responded to any of the treatments thus far to be able to get the issues resolved.

All the medical expenses and time off work have really hit us hard financially. As such, we had planned to cancel our scheduled trip next month. My dh said he would really still like to go as we would lose the money for the plane tickets, etc and given our current finances it will be a long time before we could go again. I agreed to try to come up with the money and may actually make it if my remaining planned eBay sales go well. In truth, I think that neither of us have wanted to say out loud that since he isn't getting any better, this may be our last chance to take a trip as a family.

So, I am really excited that we may get to go. I wanted to pull this off for he and my kids. It has been a such a hard year on everyone. And at the same time, I am almost scared to go - scared that this may be the last trip we will make together. I think all the stress of this past year is just overwhelming me a little. But I don't want to let these fears of mine, rob us of any joy from this trip. I want this to be a great time for everyone. I know that for the kids it will be because they have no idea how serious Daddy's illness is. The only difference they will have is that we won't be doing a few of the rides we used to, etc. I just don't want my emotions to negatively impact our time together and I seem to be having a hard time managing them lately.

If you have been in a similar situation and have any advise to offer of how you handled it, I would be very appreciative.

Carol

No advice...but I would post on the disAbilities board here on the disboards for advice for dealing with an ill family member, and the Budget board for ideas on financing your trip.

I don't know if my situation is comparable to yours but in the past six months, I was in a car accident and was left with a broken neck. That led to a blood clot on the brain so I had two major brain surgeries. I'm still waiting for my hair to grow back (ball caps are my friend). Because of all that, I was fired from my job for missing too much work.

I've been to Disney World twice during all that. Once three weeks after the broken neck and once a month after the surgeries. I am limited to what I can do. But I still love Disney World. My husband has a great attitude about everything. I can't do the Safari at Animal Kingdom. He says "the walks are better anyway". He went with me on the green side of Mission:Space. I can't do Test Track, he says "it's always crowded anyway". He said that I can still watch Off Kilter so what am I worried about?

Go and enjoy. You can do Disney World cheaply. It's not the price tag, it's the experience.

Hi Carol -

Yes, I have been in this situation and I cannot tell you strongly enough to keep your plans and GO TO WDW!!!

You will never regret the trip, I promise.

Sending you a PM with my long, sad story - and all the prayers, blessing and pixiedust your heart can hold!!!

Thank you for your replies.

Bopper, thank you for the suggestions. I actually credit the Budget Board for us being able to go on our trip. Their advise helped me to feel comfortable doing the eBay sales which are making our trip possible.

Disnut8, My goodness you have been thru a difficult time, haven't you? I am glad you are doing better and that you were able to enjoy Disney. Kudos to your husband. That is exactly how I want to be for my family. I am not worried about the budget issues as we weren't used to very lavish trips to start out with. I am more worried about becoming weepy thinking that each experience we have might be our last as a family together, etc.. I am hoping the magic will take over just as it has the other times we have been to Disney.

Melomouse, Thank you for your PM. I will be writing back to you. I am quite certain you were an angel sent to me today.

Thanks again to each of you,
Carol

Carol,
go & enjoy every single minute of your trip. I lost my DH to cancer & my one regret was that we never got to take our kids to WDW. We had planned on going after his surgery but it didn't work out. The break from the everyday world & the memories you'll have are worth it. I hope you have a wonderful time. :grouphug:

Carol,

First of all, I want to say that I will remember your family in my prayers! I would say that you are doing the right thing by going, especially if that's what your husband wants. Also, with the children not knowing, one day they will have a memory of a lifetime that can never be replaced.
What's your ebay store or name so I can browse your items for sale?
May God richily bless all of you!

Amanda:)

I dont have any advise,,, But would suggest savoring each moment!
You have my prayers for a wonderful trip! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter