Advice needed - Deluxe worth giving up WBC?

WDW-WOW

Earning My Ears
Hello,

We've been to WBC 2x in the past 3 years and have fallen in love! I swore that I'd never stay onsite again because WBC is so amazing and the price is right. Fast forward August, 2015. I got a quote for $150/night for a 2-bedroom for a 10 night stay. I was all set to book and then I found an AMAZING deal on deluxe hotels and tickets for that same time period. So now we're booked for 5 nights at the YC and 5 nights at the Poly for almost the exact same price (10 nights hotel/7 day WP+ convention tickets) as 10 nights at WBC plus tickets (factoring in a car rental, 7 days parking, and gas).

Although I am super excited at the thought of staying at two deluxe resorts (which normally are way out of my price range), I hate to give up the size of the WBC unit for our party of four. I'll also really miss having a car, a kitchen, and a washer/dryer. I know we'll end up spending more because we'll have to eat all of our meals (minus breakfast) in WDW. On the other hand, we love pools and are all excited for Storm Along Bay and the new Volcano pool at the Poly. I also think it will be so cool to walk to Epcot and DHS and to be on the monorail. However, I'm not sure if staying deluxe is worth giving up the other stuff.

What to do????

For me, I'd rather have washer/dryer, a kitchen, and more space. Walkability and monorail access would be great, but the other three things are far more important to me.

Space is important to me, so I'd pick WBC. 10 days is a long time to be squished into a little room with 4 people.

Can you do a partial stay at each place ... WBC one week ... Poly or YC for 3 days

Last edited:
Biggest challenge would be only one bathroom in the Disney resort & only one TV.
Also everyone has to be on the same schedule - hard for one adult to read if everyone else wants lights out. - I guess the night owl could go to the lobby to read.

What to do????
I am not a "stay on site at all costs" advocate by any means, but I would probably do it in this case. The Yacht Club is a great resort with (IMO) the best pool in Disney. That area (around the lake) is one of my favorite areas in all of Disney. And the Poly having quick access to, and the views of the MK are just downright cool.

If you don't like it this time, you can always go back to WBC. At least you'll know!

As mentioned above, the space is the ultimate draw for us to WBC. I can't imagine being stuck in one room for two weeks. The laundry means having to pack less clothes, and the kitchen alone pays for itself in drinks, quick breakfasts, snacks, and any other food you want to prepare/cook. The location is phenomenal and so easy to get to all the Disney parks. Having more than one pool to choose from and the chance of a fireworks view for the same price. Disney would charge a fortune for that opportunity.

Good luck deciding. :)

I guess it depends on what your family can handle, how old your kids are, etc. We can handle being squished in a room for 10 days. We were always so busy at wdw we didn't spend a ton of time in the room other than to sleep.

If you got a great deal, I would at least try it out. We loved having extra magic hours staying onsite previously, so that might be something you might benefit from as well staying onsite. I would jump at the chance to be walking distance to Epcot and try out the Poly.

Although, my advice could change after we stay at WBC in April. :rotfl:

How about 5 days at a Disney resort and 5 at WCB. This way you are not cramped for too long if you find it does not work well for you. Your tickets would still be good for the time you were at WCB.

How about 5 days at a Disney resort and 5 at WCB. This way you are not cramped for too long if you find it does not work well for you. Your tickets would still be good for the time you were at WCB.

I like this reply because I'd like to hear your pros and cons after your vacation!

I haven't stayed at WBC but would like to try it for a week myself.

I love my WBC stays but honestly if I could get Deluxe at comparable prices I would be going to the deluxe. Who knows when that discount may ever come my way and I can go to WBC any time.

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.
I don't want to do a split stay because I can only afford the deluxes if we forgo a car, and I don't want to deal with returning it 1/2 way through. Also, I'm not sure that I could get the $150/night price for WBC if I was only doing 5 nights. I think we are going to stick with the deluxe option, since this might be our only chance to do so! Plus, we stayed at WBC our last two trips (our prior two were onsite at WL and FW Cabins) so it might be nice to switch it up!

I agree with your decision. Those are great prices and if you've always wanted to stay at those resorts, this is a wonderful chance to do without spending more than you had budgeted for your trip.

I've seriously considered sometime doing Disney Deluxe again -- like Animal Kingdom Lodge, just for a different experience. It would for me be a short trip because of cost. Usually my trips are budget trips at high season with Deluxe around $450 plus a night and a great two bedroom offsite condo for about $1000 for the week. Guess which one I usually do?, and it is a great time and a great value. // I think, though mixing it up and doing deluxe would be really fun. All those great offsite condos like WBC will be there for you again another time. // I've done about 38 trips since 1971 when WDW opened -- three have been deluxe, 16 or so have been offsite condo stays which I love and do the most often. But when I look back those deluxe stays are ones that are really memorable.

How did you get such a great price on the deluxe resorts? I'd go for the deluxe.....you never know if you'll get that great deal again!

I found the name of a travel agent that offers an amazing deal at the end of August. I've read on here that the name can't be mentioned. I'm guessing because a different travel agency sponsors this site? I think I found it in the disney resort section of this board. There was a post that gave you key words to search on google to find it.

A few TAs pre-book group rates a few times during the year, and then re-sell them. Those group rates can be very attractive, but the dates have to work for you; there isn't really flexibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter