Adulting is Hard, So I'm Running Away! ~ An Oct 2016 PTR ~ Update 10/19: Peace Out, Yo!

(I know, lucky me!) But OF COURSE she shows up while I'm watching my weight like a hawk, just to mess with me!

Just watch when it's gone and you get back up on the scale.. Just keep it up and i am sure it will surprise you!

Also, as I just learned from @Bree , apparently starting an exercise routine can make your muscles retain water for a while, too. So I might be getting hit with THAT as well right now...

Are you drinking enough water?!?

Thanks to the Depo-Provera injection that I get every 3 months (to help with the PCOS), she actually only comes around to visit me maybe once or twice a year. (I know, lucky me!) But OF COURSE she shows up while I'm watching my weight like a hawk, just to mess with me!

The Depo shot can actually cause it to be REALLY had to lose weight while you are getting it! Just a thought.

Oh, what's that? Did I not mention yet that last week, I've started going to the gym and getting my fat butt on a treadmill 3 nights a week? :D

That's GREAT!!!! Keep up the awesome work!

Great job at the gym! I won't worry too much about the stalled weight, I remember a lot of time after the initial super fast drop in the first week it can take a bit for the next drop to come.

You go girl! I find judgy people to be the worst. Some people who are helpful fine, but it's easy to tell the difference and well go away! That's all I have to say about that!
Hahaha. It's just hard when I know they aren't trying to be judgy, they're clueless to how they come across, especially on something like Facebook. But even so, I still want them to SHUT UP. :D

Don't get discouraged about the stall at 13 pounds it's only week 2, I think sometimes when we make a change our body just doesn't know what to do. You're doing all the right things for you and that's what's important!
Yeah. I have faith that I'm going to break through it. Just hoping for sooner rather than later!

Gym, I mean that might as well be a 4 letter word for me. You go girl!
Bahaha. I don't love it, that's for sure. But I do love how it feels seeing the progress I'm making, and challenging myself each workout to do a little better than the last one, so that part of it is fun for me!

Walking/running a 5k!!! That is amazing I told my husband if it was a Disney race I may consider doing one... Maybe in the future sometime, so on that front I am way jealous how excited and what an amazing thing to experience!
Princess 2017 is still 13 months away! You got time to make it happen with me, girl! :cutie:

Oh I am so happy for you all around. First, Lenscrafters does have some cute styles and they also offer some AAA discounts (or some do). Plus they're always running specials to buy a pair and get a free set of lenses/sunglasses. Things like that.
I don't have AAA, but I AM hoping for some sort of special like that! I'll know next week, I'll be in that city on Thurs, Feb 4th for my appt, so I'll go check it out then and hope for the best! :goodvibes

Second, you do tend to retain water when you first start exercising and muscle weighs more than fat. As someone who has definitely struggled with weight (or just ignored it completely), I've learned to ignore the numbers somewhat and just be happy when I have to buy a smaller pant size. Have you considered purchasing a fitbit or the equivalent? Yes, it's a fancy pedometer, but I like getting all the data and feedback. You can use it to count calories, sleep trends, and how much water you drink. Or just to count steps. You'd be surprised at how much you do walk in a day.
Or ashamed by how little I walk in a day... :sad: Seriously, though! I've considered the FitBit! At this point though, as weird as this is going to sound, I don't know that I WANT to know that much information! :laughing: In the past, I've fallen off the wagon when things get too micromanaged, and then they start pushing on my Anxiety too much, and I just end up creating a mental mess for myself. (Also why things like Weight Watchers and tracking points doesn't work for me for very long.) So I need to have chunks of the day when I'm just living my life, and not obsessing over numbers. That could change down the road though as this begins to become less of a challenge and more of a normal thing!

Third, and most importantly, doing a runDisney marathon is an awesome goal! I was lucky enough to see it the Marathon a few years back and went 'if I ever was going to run one, Disney is definitely where I'd do it.' So go for it! Even if you walk the 5K, do you know how few people do that?
Thanks! I'm really excited about it. And the opportunity to go back to Disney I think will keep me on point and deter me from slacking off! ::yes::

Yay good news!!! I love good news!
You and me both, girl! :thumbsup2

In terms of the blood pressure thing ... this is certainly not the only factor, and I think it definitely needs to be balanced with everything else you do, but ... has your doctor mentioned the DASH diet? It's a diet that's intended to help lower blood pressure. Here's an article from the NIH about it: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash
I'm not sure if it's at all compatible with Atkins, and if you have to choose one of the two, I say go with the one that works better for you (and it sounds like that's Atkins), but ... I think one of the big things you can incorporate from this (if you're not already doing so) is to monitor your sodium a bit and see if you can lower the amount of sodium you're taking in. That should help with the blood pressure.
But definitely stick with taking the medication and follow up with the doctor when it's time!
I've looked at the DASH stuff before, but there's just NO WAY I could stick to that, I would be absolutely miserable. :crazy2: I am watching my salt intake a bit, though. I never ever add table salt to anything on my plate, and when I'm cooking, I omit salt from any ingredient lists. I'm starting to be more conscious of it during my grocery shopping too, and always looking out for lower sodium options!

Um ... I haven't been since 2013. Which I know doesn't sound as bad except that I wear contact lenses, and contact lens wearers are supposed to go every year. Oops?
I wish I could wear contacts! I'm one of those weirdos who can't handle ANYTHING anywhere close to her eyes, much less in them. It's almost a phobia, really. Even eyedrops are out of the question. :scared:

Try not to let it get to you. You'll have weeks when you're up (or not down as much as you want), and weeks when you're down more than you expect. As long as it's a general downward trend, you're fine. Just stick with what you're doing and eventually the results will be there - this is a long-term process, not an overnight thing (I know you know that, but it's worth stating anyway).
Also, when you first start losing weight, you tend to lose faster, and then the rate of loss slows down a bit. Try not to worry about it too much.
(Although ... I've been losing and regaining the same 5 lbs for a year, so I don't know how much you can trust what I say)
I hope it stays a downward trend! And I'm happy I'm not gaining, but it's just such a rush watching those numbers get smaller! I want more of that now! Stupid water retention!

Nice! What model?
What model? Shoes have models? :rotfl: Uhhh... Hang on, I have them with me at work today in my gym bag, lemme dig in it and take a look at what they say........... Okay, I figured it out, and this is them: CLICK ME! I hated having to get Men's, but I'm pretty used to it with sneakers, since I wear a 12-13 in Women's. They DID have one pair of Women's 12s in another model that I tried on, and almost bought, but then the guy who was helping me recommended that I give these a try, and I couldn't deny that they felt better on my feet. And they didn't have the same model in Women's in my size. So as usual, I sacrificed cute for comfort! (Thinking about buying some bright rainbow shoelaces or something to jazz them up!)

Not to be too much of an enabler, but ... for the past few years, runDisney has worked with New Balance to put out special Disney shoes. Here's a link to the article about this year's shoes: https://www.newbalance.com/article?id=4256
Those aren't the best pictures (better pictures here: http://www.nbvirtualqueue.com/), but this year there are Dumbo, Ariel, Mickey, and Minnie shoes.
No idea what next year's shoes will be, but if you like New Balance shoes, it's something to think about as a reward for finishing the race!
Maaaaaan! I like those! Both the Ariel and the Minnie shoes! I think I might even like Minnie best, that yellow is so pretty and different! :lovestruc I would even be happy with the Dumbo, it's a very gender-neutral color scheme, I dig it!

Everyone has favorite treadmills. When I was in grad school, I had a favorite treadmill ... and I got very annoyed if one of my friends took it.
So far, I've been very lucky, and every time I've gone, one of the two treadmills that I like best have been available. I know my day is coming that I'll have to figure out how to use one of the others, though! :sad1:

YAY!!! The first mile is often the hardest. Just keep going and you'll keep improving!
I'm going, I'm going! Excited to see how I do tonight! :goodvibes

OMG OMG OMG!!! That is definitely the most exciting thing I've read today!
THANK YOU!!! I was pretty excited to edit my post with that bit of info! :D

Yay!
Okay, since this is my area of almost expertise, I have a lot to say.
GOOD! I was hoping you would!

In terms of my schedule... here's where I'm at as of right now. And this is completely subject to change, especially since DL Half registration is next week:
I'm planning to register for the Disneyland Half in September 2016. However, I am very aware that I may end up having to defer to 2017. If I defer DL to 2017, then the plan is to do the Princess Half in 2017 and then also do the DL half for my coast-to-coast medal (which you get for doing a half marathon or longer on each coast). If I'm there for the Princess half, then I'm definitely walking the 5K with you! If I end up doing the DL Half in 2016, then I'll have to figure out if I want to still do Princess (either just the 5K with you or the 5K and Half). But that's a decision I'll make in June/July.
I totally understand, girl! I would LOVE to see you there, but if not, that's okay, too! Honestly, a lot of this is going to also come down to money for me, too. Now I'm looking at financing TWO Disney trips in the next year, and now my car is making some crazy rattling noises. Soooo... yeah. :sad2:

In terms of the race...
A) Registration normally sells out very quickly. As in within a few hours. I can't remember off the top of my head when registration is (although I suspect you have it in a spreadsheet somewhere), but be at your computer, ready to go at 11:55 AM on registration day. Hopefully someone will post the direct link on the DIS (more on that in the next point) so you can bypass the runDisney website when it crashes (as it tends to do during registrations), but I'd also suggest being on the runDisney facebook page because they'll post the direct link there.
July 12th at Noon EST! (I'm taking the day off work to make sure I can be online and ready!) :thumbsup2

B) There is a section of the DIS boards dedicated to runDisney (http://www.disboards.com/forums/rundisney-events-competition.109/). That's an excellent resource if you have any questions about the event or runDisney in general.There's also generally a thread for each event weekend. Someone has already created a thread for Princess Weekend 2017 (http://www.disboards.com/threads/2017-disney-princess-half-marathon-weekend.3474152/), but I don't know if that will end up being the "official" thread or if someone else will create a more comprehensive thread closer to the event. People there always seem to know information before it is officially released. Including the link for registration - someone will usually post it before registration begins, and using that link gets you through the process a little faster. Feel free to go over to that thread and introduce yourself - people will be very excited to answer any questions you may have. You may also want to check out the 2016 Princess Weekend thread to see what people are talking about (right now it's focused on bib numbers, waivers, and corrals, but there is a lot of good info buried in there).
Haven't introduced myself, but I've been lurking there for a week or so now! :thumbsup2

C) The runDisney experience can be very overwhelming for a first timer. My suggestion is to read as many trip reports and blogs about the races as you possibly can. Find videos on YouTube. I think one thing that people really don't get is the sheer size of it - for a 5K, there will be 2,000 people in your corral. That's a lot of people. rD makes it work, but I think a lot of people don't realize the scope of it until they show up and see all those people, so that's one thing I want you to prepare for - you will be part of a massive crowd. Hopefully I'll touch on that a bit in my TR (I did have some issues with it at the 10K). But definitely do as much research into the experience as you can. Also - there will be people finishing the 5K before you start. Don't worry about it.
I think that's what worries me the most... It does seem very intimidating! I really would be so much more comfortable if I had a friend to pal around the Start area with, at least at first, even if we are in different corrals. Just somebody to help me get acclimated, you know? But if it doesn't work out that way, I'll still do it, of course. But I'll be armed to the TEETH with research, like you said! :thumbsup2

D) I'm guessing you know this, but runDisney races have a pacing requirement of 16:00 minutes per mile. For the 5K, that's about 50 minutes, starting from when the last person crosses the start line. That said ... runDisney is known for not enforcing the pacing requirement for the 5K. There really isn't any way to sweep you off the course in Epcot, and since it's not an officially timed run (although there are clocks, just no timing chips), they don't bother trying. However, they will shorten the course if the park needs to open. But more on that when I get to the 5K on my TR.
I'm not overly worried about the pacing requirement, since my goal is 3.1 miles in 45 minutes or less. If I can't do this comfortably, then I won't do the race. My one question is how does that factor in with stopping and saying hi to characters along the way? Will that factor into my time? Will I likely not be able to stop and visit with them? Should I try to work in at least some jogging to get my speed up so I can have more character time? :scratchin

E) I'm really more of a runner than a walker (although I do walk a lot just in general), but if you have any questions, about training, runDisney, or anything, please feel free to ask me! I'd be happy to help you in any way I can!
Oh, don't worry! I'll most definitely be picking your brain quite a bit, I'm sure! ::yes::

Yay! Another spreadsheet! I'm almost as excited about the spreadsheet as I am about you doing the race!
Bahaha! It'll be a long time before I debut it, and as usual, it'll probably have it's own thread. I won't set that up until I'm actually registered in July, though! :goodvibes

Billie, I can't even begin to express how incredibly proud I am of you for taking these steps and working towards the 5K. It's amazing and you're really an inspiration to me!
Awww, Sarah! Thank you SO much! Truth be told, YOU have been an inspiration to ME! I never once had any interest in RunDisney events until I started reading your reports! But as time went on, I started to feel more and more like "Man, I wish I could do that!" until eventually now I'm really really excited about it! :hug:

Congrats on reaching your next walking distance goal on the treadmill!
Thank you!

As far as the weight loss stall, this happens to me every month - usually I even gain a little. I think your body retains more water during that time of the month. Usually it all goes away and then some in the days that follow though which is a relief!
I so hope you're right! I hope to get on the scale one morning soon and be, like, 10 pounds less. :rotfl:

Keep up the great work and don't sweat the set backs too much. You have a great and fun goal to work towards with the 5k at Disney!
I'm working towards it, I wanna do that 5k baaaaad! :hyper:

Congratulations Billie! That is a great accomplishment. I'm so proud of you for sticking to it and adding the exercise. The 5k is such a great goal. I have trouble running too so I use an elliptical. It's much easier on your knees and works your arms and well. I also find you burn more calories on it versus a treadmill. Just thought I'd share, not trying to judge, in case you might want to try it.
The elliptical is on the agenda, but not quite yet. I need to build up my stamina and endurance more first. I can only last about 2-3 minutes on one of those beasts right now! :rotfl: So right now my loose plan is to stick with the treadmill and get myself to a point where I'm comfortably walking those 3.1 miles in 45 minutes or less. Then I'll start venturing over to the side of the gym with the elliptical machines. Baby steps! :P

Yay! Just imagine what the next results will be like after all the positive changes you've been making!

giphy.gif
But that cupcake in Sophie's hand... *drools* I waaaaaant it... :cutie:

So many things can make you retain water or weigh slightly more - if you track your long term averages (and only weigh once a week) you'll enjoy yourself much more, trust me!

just-trust-me-o.gif
I knooooow I should weigh only once a week! But it's so tempting to jump on the scale to see if there's been any changes! I want to know the VERY MOMENT I break through this stall and start losing again! :rotfl: Last night I got all excited because when I first glanced down at the scale, it looked like I'd lost another two pounds, but the needle was still bouncing around and it ended up settling right where it's been stuck all week... DOH! :laughing:

Great job Billie. I only started running less than 6 months ago and I've never been a runner - I've always hated it and used my knee injuries as an excuse not to. Then I set a health goal for my 30th birthday rather than a weight loss target - running a half marathon. The first few weeks I could barely run 30 seconds without getting winded and I'm now up to being able to run 10km without stopping. So it can be done and you'll see improvement every week I guarantee.

phoebe
Yes, that's what's keeping me going back to the gym every other night, especially now that my weight loss seems to have temporarily stalled... I'm really enjoying pushing and challenging myself to go longer and further than the previous walk. Actually seeing it in numbers as my endurance and stamina increases is just so exciting and motivational! :goodvibes

But of course - Team Tiara!!!

200_s.gif
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! princess:

I totally have favorite treadmills too at my apartment gym - which makes it really annoying when they are broken :P Glad you've found a routine that works for you!
Haha, if one of these two ever break, god forbid both of them, I will be SO SUPER SAD. Mainly because I don't feel like having to learn how to use any of the others. :laughing:

Ahhh! Honestly, I have just started running again (using the Galloway 5k app) and was just thinking that a Disney race would be the perfect way to reward myself for being successful. I've got some virtual races in the cards this year to practice, but now you've got me trying to decide if I could swing a Disney race in February :P We're only 6 hours from Orlando for the next year or so, and I have no clue where we'll be going after that. Hmmm - could be the perfect time! I'll have to look into pricing and such (I've heard Disney races are expensive).
Dude, that sounds TOTALLY swingable! For sure! OMG HOW MUCH FUN WOULD WE HAVE?!?! :hyper: And yeah, the races are kinda pricey, but from what I hear, totally worth it. The 5k is $75 to register, and they go up from there. (I think the Half is $199, but I could be wrong.)

Anyway, to stop talking about myself, because that's not really why I'm here - you rock!! Walking is great exercise, and it's so awesome that you're building the habit (and giving yourself a super great reward to look forward to in the process) :)
Pfft, talk about yourself, share your experiences, I truly love it! :lovestruc But yeah, it is a pretty big reward and a great motivator!!

I'm a huge procrastinator myself. I don't even remember the last time I was at the eye doctor.
Although I've had to buy new glasses twice in the meantime. I get the pricey bit. Usually my lenses cost a lot more than the frames. I'm always so surprised even though I should know better by now. Hope you find something in your budget.
I have expensive tastes. It's a problem. :sad2:

Try not to stress so much about the numbers (I know, easier said than done). Keep doing what you're doing.
But I loooooove seeing the numbers drops! But since the numbers on the scale aren't moving right now, I'm gettin' my kicks from watching the numbers of the distance/time/speed on the treadmill go up. Makes me feel awesome! :goodvibes

That's great! I need to get off my lazy butt and return to exercising too.
I'm loooooove being lazy! It's so difficult to combat, it really is!

Of course that helps.
I don't really like gyms. I tend to work out at home. Used to do Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds back during my last weight loss journey. I liked that the moves were simple to do but still felt like I was getting a good workout.
I've since found a bunch of other great workouts on youtube.
For me, it's not that I LOVE gyms. I just know me. When I'm home, I'm a LUMP. I could spend thousands on a treadmill for at home, and it would sit there and collect dust. Just like all the workout programs, dvds, etc always have. I figured out that if I'm going to get any exercise, it needs to be while I'm out and about, and just get it done before I get home and my sloth mode gets activated! And working a block from a 24/7 gym, and being able to use it for FREE... I can't look that gift horse in the mouth. It's way better for me to just zip over there after work, knock out my workout, so that when I get home I can be totally lazy without guilt or stress. :rotfl:

You should be and you CAN do this. Keep up the amazing work.
Thank you so much for the encouragement! :D

Talk about a motivator! I'd so try to do that if it was feasible to me. Sadly, living overseas doesn't make it worthwhile.
I know. :( Maybe you could time your next big adventure to coincide with a runDisney event!

Thank you for the updates on your progress. You're doing great. Keep it up.
Thank YOU for being so supportive! :lovestruc

Congrats on your running progress! Pooh on the plateau on weight, but I agree with a lot of the previous comments that "Aunt Flo" can mess with that and do can starting a gym routine. Your body goes into a "hold" phases where it thinks you are starving it, so it holds onto its reserves. When it realizes this is a new norm, those processes will let up again.
It needs to hurry and realize that this is just how it's gonna be! So hurry up and get back to shrinking, body! :laughing:

YAY!! So so so happy that you've started an exercise routine and what better motivator than another trip to WDW! I'm confident you'll be able to surpass your 3.1mi/45min goal :thumbsup2
The trip to WDW really IS a hug motivator for sure! :hyper: But being proud of my progress helps, too.

And weight loss stalls are the worst! So frustrating but you've just gotta keep at it and sooner or later (hopefully sooner!) you'll see the scale go down again.
SOONER, please! I'm tired of being STUCK! :crazy2:

So glad your labs all came back good! I hope your doc can figure out your blood pressure issue soon. And I hear you on the glasses = $$$ issue. Every couple of years I have to get new eyeglasses and I KNOW it's gonna cost me an arm and a leg each time. I either fork over the cash or wear granny glasses. And I ain't wearing no ugly glasses :cutie: princess:. I won't even get into the cost of a nice pair of prescription sunglasses! Even though I only splurge for those every 5 years or so, the cost is :eek: :faint:. Every time.
Bahaha! I don't do ugly glasses, either. My mom was like "Well, you might just have to settle for some cheap frames." Um. No. There is no "settling" when it comes to glasses frames. These go on my FACE. All day. Every day. On my FACE. She wouldn't settle for a bad haircut, so why would she expect me to settle for ugly frames? Pffft! :snooty:

OMG how super exciting!! CONGRATS on getting into a gym routine! It's the 1st step!! Everyone starts somewhere and you're there! You'll be surprised at how fast your stamina builds up!! :tiptoe:
I'm already shocked at how far I've come in not even two weeks yet! It's amazing, and makes me feel so good about myself!

And, YAY for wanting to participate in the race next year! DH & I just made the decision ourselves to do it also! We want to sign our daughter up (who will be 6 then) for one of the kiddo races, I'll do the 5K & DH wants to do the 1/2 marathon!! We are supes excited!! I've marked my calendar the registration date & will totally be online & ready to register!:yay:
Woohoo, congratulations! And I feel you... I'm taking that day off from work to register, to make sure I get my spot!!! :cutie:

You mentioned that you work on a base...my DH is Active Duty Army and I was just curious as to where you worked. We are currently stationed in Virginia now but I hope like heck our next assignment brings us further south & closer to WDW!!! :earboy2:
I'll PM you! ;)

Oh wow Billie everything sounds amazing - go you :yay:
Thanks, Jo! :hug:

Your walking progress is amazing and fitting it in after work sounds very manageable!
Yes, it's working out better than I dreamed! I also find that changing clothes before I leave helps a lot. Once I get in the car, I could be so tempted to be like "Eff this, I'm just gonna home." But at that point, it's like... Well. I bothered to get dressed for the gym. May as well just go get this done!

I've always walked lots but a few months ago decided to take up running (I've got some serious back problems - spina bifida (the nicest type) and 2 degenerated discs) so need to improve my core strength. This time last year I was in such pain with muscle spasm that I could barely walk. Anyway after lots of physio and pilates sessions it's gotten so much better. I took the running very very slowly and last week ran my first 5K and 3 days later did it again in 34 minutes :)
I'm so so so glad to hear that you're doing well and getting stronger! And CONGRATS on the 5Ks! That's so awesome! :hyper:

Keep up the good work my dear!
Thank you, Lynn! :hug:

And for the glasses...even without insurance, Walmart may be cheaper than any other places. I have no vision insurance (don't even start me on lousy insurance...as I picked up two prescriptions for almost $600 yesterday for a one month supply of both!). I get my glasses at Walmart...I have very bad eyes, with astigmatism in both eyes (but a really bad one in my right eye) and I get no line bifocals, thin plastic lenses, no glare stuff, etc...and mine run about $200 total. Which for glasses are not bad. But I am not real picky about frames. So my frames are always under about $50.
I'm pretty lucky on lenses. Good old single vision here. About the most I splurge on is the anti-glare coating for driving at night. So my lenses aren't over the top expensive. But I AM super picky about frames. They're on my FACE all day, every day! I HAVE to like them! So now I could just find some cute frames that aren't insanely overpriced, and get them both from a place in my stupid insurance's network, everything would be AWESOME!!!! >:(

And this is precisely why I decided a couple of weeks ago that I'm not telling anyone when I'm "dieting". Not even DH, although of course we live together so he sees me trying to eat healthier & exercise.
I soooo now how you feel. I thought about trying to keep this one to myself, but I eat at my parents once a week, so they would find out, and I know my Mom would say something on Facebook anyhow, and then when I started losing weight and getting excited, it was too hard not to TELL ALL THE PEOPLE. :rotfl:

Way to go! Doing a runDisney event is on my bucket list, although I'm not sure I'll ever completely run one. I just hate running that much but I love walking.
Same! But the 5k is walkable (fast walking, anyhow), so that's why I'm shooting for it! :thumbsup2

Wayyy too gooooooo!! I'm so proud of you and all your progress. The stalled weight...I'm sure is just that and you will be back on track in no time. And you have a good attitude about it all and that's what matters. You are getting into a routine that works for you!! I think the Disney 5K is such a great thing to work towards...I would love to do that one day!! That time of year is always tricky to get away but ONE DAY I will be there - maybe with you!!! And how much fun you will have planning another trip!! YAY!!
You should TOTALLY come down for the Princess weekend in 2017! We would have so much fun! :goodvibes

Just watch when it's gone and you get back up on the scale.. Just keep it up and i am sure it will surprise you!
I sooo hope you're right, and am looking forward to that moment!!!

Are you drinking enough water?!?
I'm drowning!! :umbrella: I guzzle water like crazy! I don't even drink anything else at all anymore! I even got off of COFFEE!!!! :eek:

The Depo shot can actually cause it to be REALLY had to lose weight while you are getting it! Just a thought.
Oh, I know it doesn't help. But not being on it is not an option, living with my PCOS is far too miserable. (I went off it for about 6 months a few years ago, and was HATING life.) Not to mention that PCOS causes it to be REALLY hard to lose weight ALSO, so... Yeah. :laughing:

That's GREAT!!!! Keep up the awesome work!
Thank you so much! :hyper:

Great job at the gym! I won't worry too much about the stalled weight, I remember a lot of time after the initial super fast drop in the first week it can take a bit for the next drop to come.
Just like at Splash Mountain, I'm ready for that DROP!!!!!! :rotfl:

I knooooow I should weigh only once a week! But it's so tempting to jump on the scale to see if there's been any changes! I want to know the VERY MOMENT I break through this stall and start losing again! :rotfl: Last night I got all excited because when I first glanced down at the scale, it looked like I'd lost another two pounds, but the needle was still bouncing around and it ended up settling right where it's been stuck all week... DOH! :laughing:

I'm the same way but sometimes it backfires on me and I get really discouraged if I gain weight from one day to the next, even if I know that it's from retaining water. Once a week is a good goal for me, just hard to stick to! :) Also, definitely make sure you weigh yourself at the same time each day so you have an accurate comparison. I'm sure you know that already but thought I'd mention it. I weigh myself in the morning before I eat breakfast. I've weighed sometimes at night just out of curiosity to see how much weight I lose overnight and usually it's about 2 lbs. Kind of amazing how the body fluctuates.

Princess Half-Marathon Weekend, Feb. 23-26: This will be 4 months from my October 2016 trip, which is JUST about right. Plus, I'm a PRINCESS! princess:
The Princess races have the best stuff. I love the tee shirts and the medals and all the cute things that go with it. We will be at the Beach Club during this year's Princess weekend so I'll get to see the runners. :)

Same! But the 5k is walkable (fast walking, anyhow), so that's why I'm shooting for it! :thumbsup2
My husband trained to run the 5K fun run for the January marathon back in 2005. He had never run before but trained very hard to walk the 5K fast enough to beat the cutoff, and he did it. :)

Last edited:
Yayy! Good reports from your doctor all around and a plan to work on your BP! I had pregnancy-induced hypertension and it runs in my family as well. I'm fine for now but it's something I'm always on the look out for. And I get so nervous at every check up when they pull out that dang BP cuff!

I think a regular schedule for the gym is the way to go! I go a few mornings a week to the Y here and I'm hating it less. My goal is to jog/walk a mile in 10 minutes. I can do it in just about 15 now so I'm on my way there. And my favorite thing to keep me busy on the treadmill is watching Disney trip vlogs. Do you watch See Ya Reel Soon? I love it an each episode is about 25-30 minutes long...perfect for each session!

And yayyy another trip! And for the Princess 5K!! I have this on my list for 2018. I'm not sure my parents could swing the time off so soon after they help with the boys in October but I'm hoping that I can run the entire 5K by 2018! This will be the perfect Princess weekend for you!!

Or ashamed by how little I walk in a day... :sad: Seriously, though! I've considered the FitBit! At this point though, as weird as this is going to sound, I don't know that I WANT to know that much information! :laughing: In the past, I've fallen off the wagon when things get too micromanaged, and then they start pushing on my Anxiety too much, and I just end up creating a mental mess for myself. (Also why things like Weight Watchers and tracking points doesn't work for me for very long.) So I need to have chunks of the day when I'm just living my life, and not obsessing over numbers. That could change down the road though as this begins to become less of a challenge and more of a normal thing!

Ah the Anxiety Monster, how familiar I am with you. I've actually hidden a lot of the stats that fitbit provides on my phone because then, like you said, it becomes micromanaged. But I like knowing how much water I've drunk and keeping track of my sleep patterns. I have a terrible memory otherwise. You do what works for you.

I don't know if they are on your network (or even if you have one in your area), but Costco has unbelievably cute frames that are very well prices. I got mine there for $218 complete - thinner lenses because I am VERY nearsighted, Transitions on the lenses and the most adorable Nina Ricci frames. I've had the lenses replaced in these frames three times, plus have gotten supplemental frames. I only get the $150 reimbursement from my insurer (Costco doesn't bill them directly), but I have never been happier with my choices.

I am excited for your 5k goal! My very first 5k, I was able to achieve a 20min/mile pace - which was exciting for never having done one. On my second one, I met a woman who'd committed to doing 6 in 6 months. Her first one took her 3 hours to complete. Her last one came in at 45 minutes. Very inspiring!! I think you have a great plan to push yourself a bit more each time. I am using the pedometer on my phone to push me more each day. I want to get to 10,000 steps daily.

Coastal.com is a good place to get cheap glasses too. They don't take insurance, but their prices are awesome and retailmenot.com always has some coupon code for 30-40% off your purchase. My DH has ordered from them and the quality has been very good.

I had to defer my 2016 Princess Glass Slipper Challenge :guilty: I have had too many injuries and I'm seriously undertrained and didn't want to pay all that money to be swept from the half marathon because I was too slow. So I'll be there in 2017!!!!!

I just saw your update on Facebook - congrats on the amazing weight loss this month!

If you'd like to join our February Exercise Challenge we'd love to have you (and anyone else here who'd like to join in)! We each just set a goal of how many minutes we want to exercise each month and keep track, marking our accomplishments throughout the month with color changes and Disney themed pics. Here is the link if you want to come on over!

If you'd like to join our February Exercise Challenge we'd love to have you (and anyone else here who'd like to join in)! We each just set a goal of how many minutes we want to exercise each month and keep track, marking our accomplishments throughout the month with color changes and Disney themed pics. Here is the link if you want to come on over!

Just what I need to get off my lazy butt and stay committed to exercising. I joined. Thanks

I'm the same way but sometimes it backfires on me and I get really discouraged if I gain weight from one day to the next, even if I know that it's from retaining water. Once a week is a good goal for me, just hard to stick to! :) Also, definitely make sure you weigh yourself at the same time each day so you have an accurate comparison. I'm sure you know that already but thought I'd mention it. I weigh myself in the morning before I eat breakfast. I've weighed sometimes at night just out of curiosity to see how much weight I lose overnight and usually it's about 2 lbs. Kind of amazing how the body fluctuates.
Ugh, apparently my fluctuating is out of control... I thought I'd finally broken through my stall when on Saturday morning, I'd lost 2 pounds, and on Sunday morning I'd lost 3 more. I figured this was the big WHOOSH we'd been expecting me to see after retaining so much fluid! So dumb me goes and gets on the scale this morning, just out of curiosity, and guess what? ALL 5 POUNDS ARE BACK. IN ONE DAY. And it's not like I cheated yesterday or had a pig-out or anything! And I'm still drinking plenty of water! I'm doing everything right! It was a perfectly normal day! It was all I could do not to cry... I'm right back to where I stalled out now. As such, I've been in a bad mood at work all morning. :laughing:

Not going to rule that out.... But I'm thinking maybe 2018 is a better option for me.... Maybe I'll convince you to do it again in 2018!
If I enjoy the 2017 one, I see no reason not to do the 2018 one, too! :thumbsup2

The Princess races have the best stuff. I love the tee shirts and the medals and all the cute things that go with it. We will be at the Beach Club during this year's Princess weekend so I'll get to see the runners. :)
How cool! Yeah, I really excited to go through the process and go to the Expo and stuff! :goodvibes

My husband trained to run the 5K fun run for the January marathon back in 2005. He had never run before but trained very hard to walk the 5K fast enough to beat the cutoff, and he did it. :)
That's awesome! Gives me hope that I can do it too! :goodvibes

Yayy! Good reports from your doctor all around and a plan to work on your BP! I had pregnancy-induced hypertension and it runs in my family as well. I'm fine for now but it's something I'm always on the look out for. And I get so nervous at every check up when they pull out that dang BP cuff!
I know those nerves very well! :sad2:

I think a regular schedule for the gym is the way to go! I go a few mornings a week to the Y here and I'm hating it less. My goal is to jog/walk a mile in 10 minutes. I can do it in just about 15 now so I'm on my way there. And my favorite thing to keep me busy on the treadmill is watching Disney trip vlogs. Do you watch See Ya Reel Soon? I love it an each episode is about 25-30 minutes long...perfect for each session!
I don't have a real tablet because I have a Note 4, which is basically just a small tablet that also makes phone calls & sends texts. I've thought about downloading stuff to it to watch during my workouts, but that's one of the few things that it's a touch too small for, I think. Setting on the treadmill like it would be, a good 3+ feet from my face,I'd be squinting to really see it. I'm quite content with just listening to music right now, but if I get bored of that, I'm already working on getting my mom to sell me her 8" tablet for cheap (she's had it a couple years) and buy herself a newer updated one. :D

And yayyy another trip! And for the Princess 5K!! I have this on my list for 2018. I'm not sure my parents could swing the time off so soon after they help with the boys in October but I'm hoping that I can run the entire 5K by 2018! This will be the perfect Princess weekend for you!!
Well, hopefully I'll be able to make it back for the 5k in 2018, too! :P Time will tell! At some point I need to force myself to stop vacationing and start saving the money up to move down there.

Ah the Anxiety Monster, how familiar I am with you. I've actually hidden a lot of the stats that fitbit provides on my phone because then, like you said, it becomes micromanaged. But I like knowing how much water I've drunk and keeping track of my sleep patterns. I have a terrible memory otherwise. You do what works for you.
It wouldn't hurt me to track my water intake, and once my CPAP stuff gets sorted out, it would be nice to see how I'm sleeping. It's definitely something to keep in mind! :thumbsup2

I don't know if they are on your network (or even if you have one in your area), but Costco has unbelievably cute frames that are very well prices. I got mine there for $218 complete - thinner lenses because I am VERY nearsighted, Transitions on the lenses and the most adorable Nina Ricci frames. I've had the lenses replaced in these frames three times, plus have gotten supplemental frames. I only get the $150 reimbursement from my insurer (Costco doesn't bill them directly), but I have never been happier with my choices.
No Costco around here, sadly. :( But knowing my luck, they wouldn't be in-network for me, either!

I am excited for your 5k goal! My very first 5k, I was able to achieve a 20min/mile pace - which was exciting for never having done one. On my second one, I met a woman who'd committed to doing 6 in 6 months. Her first one took her 3 hours to complete. Her last one came in at 45 minutes. Very inspiring!! I think you have a great plan to push yourself a bit more each time. I am using the pedometer on my phone to push me more each day. I want to get to 10,000 steps daily.
45 minutes is my goal! That's why I'm taking a full year+ to train for it. I know my body has a long way to go! ::yes::

Coastal.com is a good place to get cheap glasses too. They don't take insurance, but their prices are awesome and retailmenot.com always has some coupon code for 30-40% off your purchase. My DH has ordered from them and the quality has been very good.
I'll check it out, thanks! :)

I had to defer my 2016 Princess Glass Slipper Challenge :guilty: I have had too many injuries and I'm seriously undertrained and didn't want to pay all that money to be swept from the half marathon because I was too slow. So I'll be there in 2017!!!!!
Aw, I'm sorry you had to defer! But hey, maybe I'll see you there next year! princess:

I just saw your update on Facebook - congrats on the amazing weight loss this month!
Yeah, about that... :sad:

Just what I need to get off my lazy butt and stay committed to exercising. I joined. Thanks
I'm in, I'm in! :cutie:

Ugh, apparently my fluctuating is out of control... I thought I'd finally broken through my stall when on Saturday morning, I'd lost 2 pounds, and on Sunday morning I'd lost 3 more. I figured this was the big WHOOSH we'd been expecting me to see after retaining so much fluid! So dumb me goes and gets on the scale this morning, just out of curiosity, and guess what? ALL 5 POUNDS ARE BACK. IN ONE DAY. And it's not like I cheated yesterday or had a pig-out or anything! And I'm still drinking plenty of water! I'm doing everything right! It was a perfectly normal day! It was all I could do not to cry... I'm right back to where I stalled out now. As such, I've been in a bad mood at work all morning. :laughing:

Oh, I can sympathize completely! A lot of times it's just that you ate something with more sodium in it and it causes your body to hold on to extra water for a day or two. We should make a pact to only weigh once a week! Also, I was reading in a fitness magazine I got that research shows we are lightest on Wednesdays so that's a great day to weigh in. Funny enough that looking back at my spreadsheet (yes, I have a spreadsheet, aren't you proud?) of my weight loss since the beginning of the year, this does seem to be true for me. Maybe I should switch my weigh in days to Wednesdays! lol

Don't let it get you down too much! :grouphug:

Seriously, though! I've considered the FitBit! At this point though, as weird as this is going to sound, I don't know that I WANT to know that much information! :laughing: In the past, I've fallen off the wagon when things get too micromanaged, and then they start pushing on my Anxiety too much, and I just end up creating a mental mess for myself. (Also why things like Weight Watchers and tracking points doesn't work for me for very long.) So I need to have chunks of the day when I'm just living my life, and not obsessing over numbers. That could change down the road though as this begins to become less of a challenge and more of a normal thing!

In terms of the Fitbit ... I tend to ignore mine. I have the clip kind, and I just clip it to my skirt in the morning and forget about it. I rarely look at it during the day ... unless I actually want to know how I'm doing and if it's time to get up and move. I usually look at it before bed just to see how I'm doing, but I don't worry about it too much. So it really doesn't affect me much.
That said ... when I first got it, it was different. Back then it was obsessive checking. So I definitely get how it can be too much information.

Maaaaaan! I like those! Both the Ariel and the Minnie shoes! I think I might even like Minnie best, that yellow is so pretty and different! :lovestruc I would even be happy with the Dumbo, it's a very gender-neutral color scheme, I dig it!

The Minnies pretty awesome, but I think the Ariel is my favorite. I would have thought about getting them, but I just got new sneakers a few months ago. And I don't have room in my closet for more shoes.

I totally understand, girl! I would LOVE to see you there, but if not, that's okay, too! Honestly, a lot of this is going to also come down to money for me, too. Now I'm looking at financing TWO Disney trips in the next year, and now my car is making some crazy rattling noises. Soooo... yeah. :sad2:

Yeah ... so ... I'm on a Disney break right now. We'll see if that changes before July.
In terms of money, though ... the 5K itself will probably cost $75-$80 before fees, plus $5-$10 in fees. So just make sure you budget for that.

I think that's what worries me the most... It does seem very intimidating! I really would be so much more comfortable if I had a friend to pal around the Start area with, at least at first, even if we are in different corrals. Just somebody to help me get acclimated, you know? But if it doesn't work out that way, I'll still do it, of course. But I'll be armed to the TEETH with research, like you said! :thumbsup2

If I can be there, I definitely want to be there to help guide you through. But ... Disney break. Hopefully once I get to my race recaps in my TR that will help (although I didn't really take many pictures of the pre-race area), and research is always a great thing!

I'm not overly worried about the pacing requirement, since my goal is 3.1 miles in 45 minutes or less. If I can't do this comfortably, then I won't do the race. My one question is how does that factor in with stopping and saying hi to characters along the way? Will that factor into my time? Will I likely not be able to stop and visit with them? Should I try to work in at least some jogging to get my speed up so I can have more character time? :scratchin

Yes, character stops will count against your time. But it's really not a long interaction - it's an in and out picture, which is fast, and the CMs try to keep the lines moving fast. And if you're in danger of being swept off the course (which they really don't do in the 5K), they'll warn you.
Honestly, I have yet to have an average pace faster than 16:00 min/mile for a runDisney. My fastest average pace has been 19:21. The earlier you start, the more of a cushion you get (even if you're in the last corral, you can get a 5-8 minute cushion by being at the front of the corral).
If you want to finish in 45 minutes, then you'll need to try to work in some jogging. But if you just want to finish - if you can walk the 5K in 45 minutes or less, you should be able to finish in an hour even with the character stops. And they'll definitely give you at least an hour to finish.

Hi Billie!! I fell behind but I'm all caught up now. YAY for an extra day/night at Disney (yes, that is how far behind I was)!

Also, you are rocking it on the new healthier living! We are getting the treadmill from my MIL's house (it's just not safe for her to use at her age anymore), and I'm super excited to get started on that.

Oh, I can sympathize completely! A lot of times it's just that you ate something with more sodium in it and it causes your body to hold on to extra water for a day or two. We should make a pact to only weigh once a week! Also, I was reading in a fitness magazine I got that research shows we are lightest on Wednesdays so that's a great day to weigh in. Funny enough that looking back at my spreadsheet (yes, I have a spreadsheet, aren't you proud?) of my weight loss since the beginning of the year, this does seem to be true for me. Maybe I should switch my weigh in days to Wednesdays! lol

Don't let it get you down too much! :grouphug:
Thanks for the encouragement! I know I should only weigh once a week, but I just can't help myself! I NEED TO KNOW NOW! And sometimes it's good news... This morning 3 of those 5 lbs had fallen off again. :rotfl: My body is so weird.

In terms of the Fitbit ... I tend to ignore mine. I have the clip kind, and I just clip it to my skirt in the morning and forget about it. I rarely look at it during the day ... unless I actually want to know how I'm doing and if it's time to get up and move. I usually look at it before bed just to see how I'm doing, but I don't worry about it too much. So it really doesn't affect me much.
That said ... when I first got it, it was different. Back then it was obsessive checking. So I definitely get how it can be too much information.
I might get one down the road, I haven't completely ruled it out. But right now, I think it would be overload. :scared:

The Minnies pretty awesome, but I think the Ariel is my favorite. I would have thought about getting them, but I just got new sneakers a few months ago. And I don't have room in my closet for more shoes.
If these shoes I bought last month will last me the year, then I think next February would be pretty much the perfect time to buy new shoes! :cutie:

Yeah ... so ... I'm on a Disney break right now. We'll see if that changes before July.
In terms of money, though ... the 5K itself will probably cost $75-$80 before fees, plus $5-$10 in fees. So just make sure you budget for that.
Oh, not to worry, that is already accounted for on the budgeting spreadsheet. :D I didn't know about any fees though, I just had put in $75 for registration. Do you think it would be safer to budget for $100? (I'd always rather save too much rather than not enough.)

If I can be there, I definitely want to be there to help guide you through. But ... Disney break. Hopefully once I get to my race recaps in my TR that will help (although I didn't really take many pictures of the pre-race area), and research is always a great thing!
No worries! We have until July to figure it all out. A lot can change in 6 months! :P

Yes, character stops will count against your time. But it's really not a long interaction - it's an in and out picture, which is fast, and the CMs try to keep the lines moving fast. And if you're in danger of being swept off the course (which they really don't do in the 5K), they'll warn you.
Honestly, I have yet to have an average pace faster than 16:00 min/mile for a runDisney. My fastest average pace has been 19:21. The earlier you start, the more of a cushion you get (even if you're in the last corral, you can get a 5-8 minute cushion by being at the front of the corral).
If you want to finish in 45 minutes, then you'll need to try to work in some jogging. But if you just want to finish - if you can walk the 5K in 45 minutes or less, you should be able to finish in an hour even with the character stops. And they'll definitely give you at least an hour to finish.
This is VERY helpful! I was wondering how the character stops figured in to it all! I assume all the characters are Princesses? princess:

Hi Billie!! I fell behind but I'm all caught up now. YAY for an extra day/night at Disney (yes, that is how far behind I was)!
That's okay, I'm happy you're still here! And I'm probably just as far behind on your reports, so really... No need to apologize! (I'll catch up soon, I promise!) :goodvibes

Also, you are rocking it on the new healthier living! We are getting the treadmill from my MIL's house (it's just not safe for her to use at her age anymore), and I'm super excited to get started on that.
NICE! Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a treadmill at home, but I know how LAZY I am when I'm home, and I worry I won't be as motivated to use it! I think if I can make this gym thing a habit, eventually I might look into getting one for my home. I'd love to get addicted to it! :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter