Adulting is Hard, So I'm Running Away! ~ An Oct 2016 PTR ~ Update 10/19: Peace Out, Yo!

Omg - I thought I had the only biter cat! She has never clawed any of us - all of our scars are due to her teeth. I think it might have to do with the fact that mama was a wild barn cat, so maybe she doesn't understand playing. She doesn't really understand cuddling either. Cats are weird. But still better than dogs, haha! (Sorry dog people)
My former roommate had a biter cat, and it was rough. My mom made the mistake of reaching over and petting her once, and I didn't see what has happening or else I would have warned her... Yeah, Mama was NOT HAPPY when she got bit. She's not used to that... My two are always very sweet and gentle with her when she visits, they've never even accidentally clawed her. (Actually, the ONLY person that ever seems to get caught by their nails is me... Little jerks.)

Oh, what's that? Did I not mention yet that last week, I've started going to the gym and getting my fat butt on a treadmill 3 nights a week? :D

That's incredible news! I'm so happy for you!

I'm going to sign-up for a runDisney event: I'm going to walk in the Princess 5k during the 2017 Princess Half-Marathon weekend at Walt Disney World. :hyper:

Again, wonderful news! You will have a blast!!!

Sorry I've been MIA on your threads but I haven't felt like DISing much since I've been back from DL. I'm catching up slowly now though. :)

My former roommate had a biter cat, and it was rough. My mom made the mistake of reaching over and petting her once, and I didn't see what has happening or else I would have warned her... Yeah, Mama was NOT HAPPY when she got bit. She's not used to that... My two are always very sweet and gentle with her when she visits, they've never even accidentally clawed her. (Actually, the ONLY person that ever seems to get caught by their nails is me... Little jerks.)

Ah, it's just cause they love you;)

Sorry I've been MIA on your threads but I haven't felt like DISing much since I've been back from DL. I'm catching up slowly now though. :)
I think we all take a DIS break now and again. But you're back just in time for you to leave for PHM weekend! :cutie:

Ah, it's just cause they love you;)
I could stand for them to love me a little less! At least in that manner. :laughing:

Hey!! It took me a few days, but I think I'm done creeping on all your posts lol!
I'll be at POR a couple weeks before your trip. Yay!

Side note, I was reading back on one of your first pages and saw a pic of your cat. And I thought "aw, that looks like butters" and then I scrolled down... Butters! Ha-ha, we had a cat named butters that looked just like your butters! He died a few years ago though :(

I need to start walking bc I've gotten super out of shape and I need to get in Disney shape so I can eat all my delicious food and walk all over the parks!

PS. I might've drooled a little on the screen. Not bc of the cute boys or yummy food.... but because of that spreadsheet ;)

Very slowly. My weightloss is still stalled, it seems. I thought I had lost 5 more pounds, but then 2 of them came back. So I'm at 15lbs down, I guess. The struggle is real! :laughing:

I've been trying to lose 20lbs since I got married 7 years ago. The struggle is very real!!

Oh, how I wish that were TRUE! While it has it's benefits, it has a LOT of drawbacks too, and having to use it can be a real pain in the butt. Sadly, even if I can run a 5K, I'll still need it for a week at Disney.

STORY TIME!

My need for the scooter actually has nothing to do with my weight or my fitness, and everything to do with my Lupus. My doctor has said so, and I found out for myself why many years ago. When I was 19 years old, and MUCH thinner and healthier and more fit than I am today at 35, I went to Disney for 4 days with a friend. I was also dumb and stubborn, and I refused to get a scooter, despite doctor advisement, because I was embarrassed and worried what people would think. So despite how much it was killing me, I walked the parks, and by the end of those 4 days, I was extremely sick. Turned out that those 4 days of walking miles each day had thrown my Lupus out of remission. I was hospitalized for over a month, and it took over two years and a second round of chemo to fully recover and get back into remission again.

I learned the hard way not to mess around with my remission, so if I'm going somewhere that requires that level of activity for more than a few hours, I get my land speeder! :thumbsup2 I've already considered how it will look if I walk/run the 5k, then leave there and go use my scooter for the rest of the trip for touring the parks. But I learned that I can't worry about how it "looks" to other people anymore... They don't know my life!

Oh I see, thanks for clearing this up! Hope you are ok. You seem to be doing really well even with Lupus! It obviously doesn't slow you down...especially at Disney. I would say a scooter running low on batteries is the only thing that'll slow you down!

Oh oh oh! How fun would it be if you were there, too! I would just love that! :hyper:

I know1 I've never run ever so I'll probably have to do a light jog/walk and it'll be fun to have a friend.

Yes, I read that too! I'm actually taking registration day off from work so that I can be home and on the computer the moment registration opens. I'm treating it just like I do with booking ADRS! ::yes::

Wow - you are on top of this!!

I'm pretty proud. Not so much of the number, but of the progress. It makes me feel like "Hey! I CAN do this!" :D

I've been pathetically absent lately; my hugest apologies! But as the term begins to wind down and the biggest projects behind me, I may be able to crawl out of the deep, dark hole and rejoin humanity!

You have no idea how incredibly happy that statement makes me! The first and most important goal is getting off the couch, not a certain number! Yes, YOU CAN DO THIS! So super proud of you! A 5K walk is a great place to start. :D

Hey Billie. All caught up on your latest post and just wanted to say how proud I am of you. Especially given your health challenges, you really are proving to me an inspiration. Hope things are continuing to go well. And what a great motivation the Princess 5K will be (and even better that we may be there that week too!!!!).

Bet ya didn't know I could say only nice things huh???? :-)

Hmm somehow this got hidden from my watched thread notifications.

I'm all caught up again!

My cat bites occasionally ..but only me and only my calves when I am on my way to bed. I have learned to walk more purposefully to my room so she doesn't see me as prey (our vet says she has a super strong prey drive). She was an only (her litter mate died at birth) and I don't think her momma had enough time to socialize her. With other people, she is just very curious but stays pretty far from them when they come visit.

Hey!! It took me a few days, but I think I'm done creeping on all your posts lol!
I'll be at POR a couple weeks before your trip. Yay!
Hooray! And POR looks awesome... How exciting for you! :goodvibes

Side note, I was reading back on one of your first pages and saw a pic of your cat. And I thought "aw, that looks like butters" and then I scrolled down... Butters! Ha-ha, we had a cat named butters that looked just like your butters! He died a few years ago though :(
Ahhhhh, how funny! Not just another Butters, but a Butters that looked like my Butters! :cat:

I need to start walking bc I've gotten super out of shape and I need to get in Disney shape so I can eat all my delicious food and walk all over the parks!
Girl, I feel you. I go to Disney to EAT!

PS. I might've drooled a little on the screen. Not bc of the cute boys or yummy food.... but because of that spreadsheet ;)
I love my spreadsheets! I would be lost without them!

Oh I see, thanks for clearing this up! Hope you are ok. You seem to be doing really well even with Lupus! It obviously doesn't slow you down...especially at Disney. I would say a scooter running low on batteries is the only thing that'll slow you down!
I am doing really well these days, actually! It's mostly in remission. I still have the occasional joint pain. Most of my chronic pain in my daily life comes from my Fibromyalgia, which eats me up some days. But then they both team up to try and bring me down when I'm at Disney. But you're right, I don't let that happen, and stupid dying scooter batteries are the only thing that slow me down when I'm there! :laughing:

I know1 I've never run ever so I'll probably have to do a light jog/walk and it'll be fun to have a friend.
I'm setting a minimum goal of 15min per mile, and hopefully will exceed that before the 5K! So it'll be fast walking and maybe a little light jogging for me, too! :thumbsup2

Wow - you are on top of this!!
You betcha!

You have no idea how incredibly happy that statement makes me! The first and most important goal is getting off the couch, not a certain number! Yes, YOU CAN DO THIS! So super proud of you! A 5K walk is a great place to start. :D
Thank you so so so much! :hug:

Hey Billie. All caught up on your latest post and just wanted to say how proud I am of you. Especially given your health challenges, you really are proving to me an inspiration. Hope things are continuing to go well.
So far so good! :goodvibes

And what a great motivation the Princess 5K will be (and even better that we may be there that week too!!!!).
That would be AWESOME if you were there that week! :eek:

Bet ya didn't know I could say only nice things huh???? :-)
I always knew ya had it in ya, Kari! :D

Hmm somehow this got hidden from my watched thread notifications.

I'm all caught up again!
Hooray, I'm glad to hear it! (Even though I'm a week behind on yours and everybody else's reports!) :scared:

My cat bites occasionally ..but only me and only my calves when I am on my way to bed. I have learned to walk more purposefully to my room so she doesn't see me as prey (our vet says she has a super strong prey drive). She was an only (her litter mate died at birth) and I don't think her momma had enough time to socialize her. With other people, she is just very curious but stays pretty far from them when they come visit.
They love us extra painfully, don't they? :laughing:

:wave2: Just checking in to say hi! How's the progress with the treadmill going? I was doing pretty good, up to 3 miles ( I have super short legs so it takes me an hour to do 3 miles) but then DH and the youngest came back from their trip and DH brought home a nasty head cold and proceeded to give it to me and I haven't been back on the treadmill for a week. :( Sounds like you may have some company for the Princess 5k! I think that is awesome! Keep up the good work!!

It's officially 1 year until the Princess 5K (kinda)!!!

I tend to stalk runDisney social media and posts from people at these events, so I made a list of characters that I've seen pictures of from this morning's Princess 5K:
  • Sebastian (before/after race)
  • Ariel & Prince Eric (before/after race)
  • Sebastian puppet
  • Surfer Goofy
  • Vacation Genie
  • Donald & Daisy Duck in beach (maybe) outfits
  • Chip 'n' Dale in beach outfits
  • Fish (or something like that) from Festival of Fantasy parade

That's just what I've seen from pictures. There may have been more. And next year will be different. But I think it's interesting to look at these things, and since there's a lot of Princess 5K discussion going on here, I figured I might as well invade your PTR with the information.
(By the way, in case you didn't know ... this year's theme was The Little Mermaid)

Oh, and there were more princesses at the race retreat, but that's a pay extra thing, so I don't count it.

I'm a week behind on my report too! I really need to finish editing day 3 photos so I can post the rest of that day.
Take all the time you need! :rotfl:

i am here and caught up..
Hooray! :stitch:

Now SHHHHHHHHHHHHH Im reading...
I'm about to be! Last night I broke down and bought a KINDLE. I've always sworn off e-books, plus I don't like reading on a tablet because of the glare. But my bookshelves are overflowing at this point, so a friend talked me into checking out eReaders. I really like the Kindle Paperwhite, but didn't want to pay $120 for something I may end up not even sticking with. So I went on eBay last night and got a gently used one with cables included for only $60! According to the description, it's being sold by a college student who randomly won it as a door prize at a campus event, used it a couple times, then never touched it again. I'm EXCITED! It should be here next week! :hyper:

:wave2: Just checking in to say hi!
Hellos! I know I haven't been around much! :hug:

How's the progress with the treadmill going? I was doing pretty good, up to 3 miles ( I have super short legs so it takes me an hour to do 3 miles)
BLEH. I suppose that's part of why I've been unmotivated to write an update here. The weightloss and the workouts have become extremely slow-going, and despite my best efforts not to... I'm admittedly getting discouraged, but I don't want to come here and be all negative either. I did lose a little more weight, but then stalled again, and as of this morning it looks like I gained a bit back. Plus I think I've hit a wall in my walking. I was doing really well and had gotten up to 1.9 miles in 45 minutes, then suddenly things changed last week... Only 10 minutes into my workouts, the backs of my legs and calves would start hurting so much I was blinking back tears. My options became either shorten the length of my workout, or slow down and take it easier. So I've been doing the second, but it's really really frustrating.

A friend pointed out that as exciting and motivating as progress and improvement is, I have to remember (1) I have two chronic pain conditions that are aggravated by overdoing it physically, (2) As much as I want to keep pushing myself, my body is extremely out of shape, and can only take so much so fast, and (3) Yes, I'm losing weight (slowly), but at this point, each step I take is still bringing 348 lbs down on my legs, so they're bound to need some rest and TLC. So I'm trying very hard to keep all that in mind.

but then DH and the youngest came back from their trip and DH brought home a nasty head cold and proceeded to give it to me and I haven't been back on the treadmill for a week. :(
I feel ya, lady. I skipped my scheduled workout completely (for the first time) on Thursday because I had a touch of a head cold plus had a VERY VERY busy day that day and it was late before I could even make it to the gym at all, so now am heading back today after a three-day rest. But due to the recent setbacks I've been having, I'm no longer excited about going like I was... Now I'm kind of dreading it. I just HATE accepting the disappointment of not being able to force my body to do what I want it to be able to do at this point. It was fun and exciting when I felt like I was making progress each week, and seeing the distances/speeds improve each time I went. Now I'm going the opposite direction, slowing down and losing distance... So it's just not fun or rewarding like it was. Combined with the weight stall/gain, I'm in a bit of a funk about the whole thing. I've not fallen off the wagon or anything yet, though... I'm still adhering to my diet and going to the gym (except for that one day), but I'm just scared I'm going to break mentally and take a flying leap off the wagon if things don't start improving soon.

Sounds like you may have some company for the Princess 5k! I think that is awesome! Keep up the good work!!
More company than I knew! due to some recent developments, it looks like I have some family coming to cheer me on at the 5K. No pressure or anything. :scared: :laughing:

It's officially 1 year until the Princess 5K (kinda)!!!
I was thinking that yesterday, too! :goodvibes

I tend to stalk runDisney social media and posts from people at these events, so I made a list of characters that I've seen pictures of from this morning's Princess 5K:
  • Sebastian (before/after race)
  • Ariel & Prince Eric (before/after race)
  • Sebastian puppet
  • Surfer Goofy
  • Vacation Genie
  • Donald & Daisy Duck in beach (maybe) outfits
  • Chip 'n' Dale in beach outfits
  • Fish (or something like that) from Festival of Fantasy parade

That's just what I've seen from pictures. There may have been more. And next year will be different. But I think it's interesting to look at these things, and since there's a lot of Princess 5K discussion going on here, I figured I might as well invade your PTR with the information.
(By the way, in case you didn't know ... this year's theme was The Little Mermaid)
I love that you did all this RESEARCH yesterday!!! This is very very exciting stuff!!! :hyper:

Oh, and there were more princesses at the race retreat, but that's a pay extra thing, so I don't count it.
Yeah, I don't intend on doing the retreat, I don't think. But I am kinda curious about the breakfast afterwards, and then the Pasta in the Park party on Thursday night. :scratchin

Last edited:
Hi! Found your ptr and read it all! Everything sounds like so much fun! Can't wait to read more!

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time with the weight loss and treadmill, Billie. I can definitely relate. I'm starting Slim Fast today and hoping that will keep me on track and help me get my weight loss in gear. In terms of the exercise, I have a rowing machine that is great for low impact cardio, I just need to start using it regularly. Do you have access to one at your gym? Swimming is also low impact and a great work out. Try not to get too discouraged (I know, much easier said than done) because you have definitely made progress that is making you healthier each step of the way! I have to tell myself this regularly. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter