Adulting is Hard, So I'm Running Away! ~ An Oct 2016 PTR ~ Update 10/19: Peace Out, Yo!

Billie! First of all, congrats on the weight loss. WTG girl! pixiedust::cheer2:

What program do you use for your spread sheets? Is it Excel?

I didn't know about any fees though, I just had put in $75 for registration. Do you think it would be safer to budget for $100? (I'd always rather save too much rather than not enough.)

Registration is done through active.com, and they charge a fee. It was like $5 last year (when registration was $70), I'm guessing it'll be around $7-8 next year. I think it's some percentage of the cost, but I can't figure out what percentage. I'd say budget for $90, and it'll probably be less than that.

This is VERY helpful! I was wondering how the character stops figured in to it all! I assume all the characters are Princesses? princess:

Glad I could help.
It won't necessarily be princesses (but there might be). Last year we had Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, and Goofy at the 5K. Sometimes they bring out rare characters that you don't see much. It may also depend on the theme - for example, this year's theme is The Little Mermaid, so you may see Prince Eric out there somewhere. But characters aren't necessarily related to the theme, it may just be whoever they want to put out there.
This year we had a strange variety of characters, but Marathon Weekend isn't as tightly themed as princess, so I think everything goes for marathon weekend.

Thanks for the encouragement! I know I should only weigh once a week, but I just can't help myself! I NEED TO KNOW NOW! And sometimes it's good news... This morning 3 of those 5 lbs had fallen off again. :rotfl: My body is so weird.

I had to throw out my scale because I got too obsessed with looking at it. You do you, I totally get it, but for me it was a sanity issue.

This is VERY helpful! I was wondering how the character stops figured in to it all! I assume all the characters are Princesses? princess:

I was wondering about the sweeps, too. I once bowed out of a race because they didn't post a pace time until the week before, only to get a text from my friend later that there were tons of people who finished in more than an hour. She was really angry on my behalf because she felt like posting the pace time discouraged people. Now I just check the previous year's times before I sign up. If people take longer than 50 minutes to finish, I will sign up.

I was wondering about the sweeps, too. I once bowed out of a race because they didn't post a pace time until the week before, only to get a text from my friend later that there were tons of people who finished in more than an hour. She was really angry on my behalf because she felt like posting the pace time discouraged people. Now I just check the previous year's times before I sign up. If people take longer than 50 minutes to finish, I will sign up.

It's a fairly well-known fact by now that runDisney doesn't really sweep the 5K. Because of the way they do the sweeping (with buses), it's hard to do it inside Epcot. So if you think you can do it in 50 minutes, you'll be fine, even with some character stops.

Why do I only seem to read about food when I'm hungry? Of course it all looks delicious!
I have this same problem! :rotfl:

I am so glad you tried this, because it's the dessert that appeals to me most on the menu. Yay that it's good!!!
Yes, I really liked it! :thumbsup2

If you find that your schedule works for you going to the gym, no need to purchase a treadmill for at home. My "lazy" means I'm too lazy to get out of the house again on work days, or at all on days off, so my treadmill in the basement actually helps. It guilts me into going downstairs for a walk, and the bonus is I don't have to put on pants!
The No Pants aspect definitely makes it more attractive! :scratchin

Billie! First of all, congrats on the weight loss. WTG girl! pixiedust::cheer2:
Thank you!!! :goodvibes

What program do you use for your spread sheets? Is it Excel?
Yep, I'm all about some Excel! ::yes::

Registration is done through active.com, and they charge a fee. It was like $5 last year (when registration was $70), I'm guessing it'll be around $7-8 next year. I think it's some percentage of the cost, but I can't figure out what percentage. I'd say budget for $90, and it'll probably be less than that.
Great to know, thanks! I knew you would be a goldmine of information! :hug:

Glad I could help.
It won't necessarily be princesses (but there might be). Last year we had Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, and Goofy at the 5K. Sometimes they bring out rare characters that you don't see much. It may also depend on the theme - for example, this year's theme is The Little Mermaid, so you may see Prince Eric out there somewhere. But characters aren't necessarily related to the theme, it may just be whoever they want to put out there.
This year we had a strange variety of characters, but Marathon Weekend isn't as tightly themed as princess, so I think everything goes for marathon weekend.
Ooooh, I like that. I don't know why, but I'm crossing my fingers for Minnie! ::MinnieMo

I had to throw out my scale because I got too obsessed with looking at it. You do you, I totally get it, but for me it was a sanity issue.
Oh, believe me, I've been tempted to do the same! :rotfl:

That IS frustrating! But good advice, too! Thank you for sharing!

It's a fairly well-known fact by now that runDisney doesn't really sweep the 5K. Because of the way they do the sweeping (with buses), it's hard to do it inside Epcot. So if you think you can do it in 50 minutes, you'll be fine, even with some character stops.
Definitely shooting for this, and I think I'll be able to make it! I do have a whole year to train, after all! :goodvibes

This looks delicious!!!! I just had a salad for lunch too! (Mine wasn't nearly as tasty-looking, though!)

Believe it or not this is the Grilled Chicken Bacon Ranch salad from McDonalds!! This was the 2nd time having it, and it did not disappoint!!

Hey! Longtime lurker on your reports, but thought I'd drop in with a couple tips - in case others haven't mentioned them!

For eyeglasses - OMG, they are such a "rip-off"! My husband wears glasses (and sometimes contacts) and REFUSES to get Lasik because he LOVES eyeglasses. To feed his obsession, he orders from Zenni Optical (I've linked to the Ladies' Best-Sellers page). Even with the "expensive" lenses he requires, I don't think he's ever paid more than $40 for a pair of glasses, and they're always very stylish!

For the gym - that's so great that you've found treadmills that you like!! I HATE the "Dreadmill", so that's awesome that you've found a routine that works great for you! In case you ever want to mix it up, you might try a "recumbent" bike if your gym has it. It looks like a stationary bicycle, but instead of sitting upright like you normally would on a bike, on this one you sit down, with your back in an upright position to pedal. It has greatly helped me with my posture, as well as with my leg endurance while taking the pressure off my knees and hips because I'm not fully upright.

As for RunDisney - come over and join us on the W.I.S.H. RunDisney board!!! In December 2014, I also decided to make a life change. I decided that in 2015, I would set out to become the best me I could be - and the No. 1 goal was to "run" the Disneyland Half Marathon in September! I'd never run more than a 5k before, and the last one I ran (in 2014) - I COMPLETELY half-a$$ed it and snuck through my friend's yard (after I had a beer with them while they were spectating) to cut over 1.5 miles off of the course. In a little over a year, I've found so much of myself in running. I've finished that half marathon. I've finished A MARATHON (you have to have part of your brain missing to do those, honestly. Trust me!). And in January, I completed the Dopey Challenge (which you have to have MOST of your brain missing for). I've almost met some of the most amazing, supportive and best people over there. No challenge is too big or too small to those crazy folks - and regardless of what happens, they are ALWAYS there with a kind word or a butt kick or whatever is needed.

And for fun "shoe accessories", check out Shwings from Sparkle Athletic! They're these CUUUUTE decorations (crowns, wings, etc.) that you lace on to the top of your shoes!
I'm so excited to see your goals for 2017 - you're going to do great!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement! I know I should only weigh once a week, but I just can't help myself! I NEED TO KNOW NOW! And sometimes it's good news... This morning 3 of those 5 lbs had fallen off again. :rotfl: My body is so weird.

This video really helped me when I started trying to lose weight - it explains all the variations that can happen just across a day to your weight and also how to weigh in correctly. If you have time to watch it I highly recommend it as might help ease your worry over those variations :cutie:

13lbs! That's great news Billie!! Slowly but surely you are getting there!
Maybe by your next trip you won't need your "land cruiser" anymore - although your pink one was really cool :)

Yay! I'm so excited you're doing the Princess 5k! It's actually my birthday week that week...so maybe I will go too! I'm gonna try and register for it as well!
I've heard it's so hard to register - some friends of mine have been unsuccessful for years...but I will use all the tips from the DIS to help!

Hi Billie! I somehow missed your last update. :blush: I am so in awe of your commitment to go to the gym. :worship: That was the hardest part for me when I was trying to lose weight. I loathe the gym or really exercising in front of anyone. I love how you're not letting yourself get derailed. And what better motivator than a Princess 5k! :goodvibes

I'm the same way and usually end up weighing 2-3 times a week. As long as you don't let it get you down, which is the hard part for me too!

Hooray for the 3 pounds coming back off!!

Yeah! I finally read it all. Between work, taking Defensive Driving twice in the last 60 days, and planning DS birthday party, I just hadn't had time. Congrats on the weight loss, good eating habits, and exercise. I used to weigh myself everyday. After I did the Whole30 diet, which forbids weighing for the entire 30 days:scared1:, I only do it once a week now. It's actually more encouraging. It seems more stable over that time than on a daily basis. I also log it in an app that graphs it. I have been doing that for years, so it's very satisfying to see my recent downward trend. Good for you to have the 5K goal. Goals are important.

I am planning on trying Boma dinner for my July DIS Unplugged Anniversary trip. I have never eaten there. Those desserts look really good:) The other dining choices look really good too.

This July trip will be my first solo trip; however, I will be hanging out some with another DISer and BF that live in the same city. Not truly solo, but not beholden to anyone either:)

Love the pants story:rotfl2:

I am a deviled egg gal myself. I like to put dijon or whole grain mustard. I also like to put the sweet or spicy Spanish smoked paprika. It gives it a nice little kick compared to regular paprika. Deviled eggs, without Miracle Whip or sweet relish, pretty much qualify for most of the meaty diets:) They are a great snack too, compared to what I would normally snack on, like candy, cookies, chips, or crackers. I will probably make a bunch at Easter.

Love your cats. Butter looks so soft and comfy. Is the other one a ragdoll? I grew up with a Himalayan. We have two cats now, an orange tabby and a white Persian that looks like the evil guy's cat from a James Bond movie.

Can't wait to read your upcoming posts.

Believe it or not this is the Grilled Chicken Bacon Ranch salad from McDonalds!! This was the 2nd time having it, and it did not disappoint!!
Wow, that's great to know! I'll definitely have to check it out! :thumbsup2

Hey! Longtime lurker on your reports, but thought I'd drop in with a couple tips - in case others haven't mentioned them!
Hooray! :welcome: And thanks for de-lurking! :laughing:

For eyeglasses - OMG, they are such a "rip-off"! My husband wears glasses (and sometimes contacts) and REFUSES to get Lasik because he LOVES eyeglasses. To feed his obsession, he orders from Zenni Optical (I've linked to the Ladies' Best-Sellers page). Even with the "expensive" lenses he requires, I don't think he's ever paid more than $40 for a pair of glasses, and they're always very stylish!
OMG! This website is AWESOME!!! I cannot believe how CUTE and CHEAP these are! Oh man, I can see myself becoming obsessed too at these prices! :eek:

For the gym - that's so great that you've found treadmills that you like!! I HATE the "Dreadmill", so that's awesome that you've found a routine that works great for you! In case you ever want to mix it up, you might try a "recumbent" bike if your gym has it. It looks like a stationary bicycle, but instead of sitting upright like you normally would on a bike, on this one you sit down, with your back in an upright position to pedal. It has greatly helped me with my posture, as well as with my leg endurance while taking the pressure off my knees and hips because I'm not fully upright.
I might look into that! I'm going three days a week right now, but once I get stronger, I'm going to up that to five days weekly. I plan to still do three days of treadmill, but try other things on the added 2 days. I've got my eye on conquering the elliptical (another big goal, as I can barely keep my balance on it), but I'll for sure look for the recumbent bikes, too! Thanks! :goodvibes

As for RunDisney - come over and join us on the W.I.S.H. RunDisney board!!!
I've been lurking over there for a couple weeks! :rotfl:

In December 2014, I also decided to make a life change. I decided that in 2015, I would set out to become the best me I could be - and the No. 1 goal was to "run" the Disneyland Half Marathon in September! I'd never run more than a 5k before, and the last one I ran (in 2014) - I COMPLETELY half-a$$ed it and snuck through my friend's yard (after I had a beer with them while they were spectating) to cut over 1.5 miles off of the course.
Okay, that story is HILARIOUS! :rotfl2:

In a little over a year, I've found so much of myself in running. I've finished that half marathon. I've finished A MARATHON (you have to have part of your brain missing to do those, honestly. Trust me!). And in January, I completed the Dopey Challenge (which you have to have MOST of your brain missing for). I've almost met some of the most amazing, supportive and best people over there. No challenge is too big or too small to those crazy folks - and regardless of what happens, they are ALWAYS there with a kind word or a butt kick or whatever is needed.
That is SO AWESOME. I wish I could have marathons on the horizon. I'm restricted to low-impact exercise though, I have been since I was diagnosed with Lupus (and the accompanying Rheumatoid Arthritis) when I was 14 years old. (In my 20s, I developed Fibromyalgia as well, which doesn't help.) But my doctor is very much all about "NO RUNNING!" with me because of how my Lupus effects my joints, especially my knees and hips. I told him about my big goal to walk/run (but mostly walk) a 5K, and he begrudgingly agreed, but said no more than that. So I've accepted I'll never be a crazy awesome distance runner, but I would like to FEEL better and be able to at least do the occasional 5K! :goodvibes

And for fun "shoe accessories", check out Shwings from Sparkle Athletic! They're these CUUUUTE decorations (crowns, wings, etc.) that you lace on to the top of your shoes!
Ooooh, I will definitely look, thank you!

I'm so excited to see your goals for 2017 - you're going to do great!!!
I sure hope you're right! :cutie:

This video really helped me when I started trying to lose weight - it explains all the variations that can happen just across a day to your weight and also how to weigh in correctly. If you have time to watch it I highly recommend it as might help ease your worry over those variations :cutie:
:thumbsup2
13lbs! That's great news Billie!! Slowly but surely you are getting there!
Very slowly. My weightloss is still stalled, it seems. I thought I had lost 5 more pounds, but then 2 of them came back. So I'm at 15lbs down, I guess. The struggle is real! :laughing:

Maybe by your next trip you won't need your "land cruiser" anymore - although your pink one was really cool :)
Oh, how I wish that were TRUE! While it has it's benefits, it has a LOT of drawbacks too, and having to use it can be a real pain in the butt. Sadly, even if I can run a 5K, I'll still need it for a week at Disney.

STORY TIME!

My need for the scooter actually has nothing to do with my weight or my fitness, and everything to do with my Lupus. My doctor has said so, and I found out for myself why many years ago. When I was 19 years old, and MUCH thinner and healthier and more fit than I am today at 35, I went to Disney for 4 days with a friend. I was also dumb and stubborn, and I refused to get a scooter, despite doctor advisement, because I was embarrassed and worried what people would think. So despite how much it was killing me, I walked the parks, and by the end of those 4 days, I was extremely sick. Turned out that those 4 days of walking miles each day had thrown my Lupus out of remission. I was hospitalized for over a month, and it took over two years and a second round of chemo to fully recover and get back into remission again.

I learned the hard way not to mess around with my remission, so if I'm going somewhere that requires that level of activity for more than a few hours, I get my land speeder! :thumbsup2 I've already considered how it will look if I walk/run the 5k, then leave there and go use my scooter for the rest of the trip for touring the parks. But I learned that I can't worry about how it "looks" to other people anymore... They don't know my life!

Yay! I'm so excited you're doing the Princess 5k! It's actually my birthday week that week...so maybe I will go too! I'm gonna try and register for it as well!
Oh oh oh! How fun would it be if you were there, too! I would just love that! :hyper:

I've heard it's so hard to register - some friends of mine have been unsuccessful for years...but I will use all the tips from the DIS to help!
Yes, I read that too! I'm actually taking registration day off from work so that I can be home and on the computer the moment registration opens. I'm treating it just like I do with booking ADRS! ::yes::

Hi Billie! I somehow missed your last update. :blush: I am so in awe of your commitment to go to the gym. :worship: That was the hardest part for me when I was trying to lose weight. I loathe the gym or really exercising in front of anyone. I love how you're not letting yourself get derailed.
The hardest part for me is staying motivating now that I've stopped losing weight for some reason! It's SO TEMPTING to give up some days!!! :crazy2:

And what better motivator than a Princess 5k! :goodvibes
YES! I'm so so so excited to do this! It's definitely helps keep me going when I get discouraged! :goodvibes

I'm the same way and usually end up weighing 2-3 times a week. As long as you don't let it get you down, which is the hard part for me too!
It does get me down a little, but not so down that I go off and eat an entire cake or anything. :rotfl:

Hooray for the 3 pounds coming back off!!
Holing steady! Trying to shake off now those other 2 pounds! :laughing:

Yeah! I finally read it all. Between work, taking Defensive Driving twice in the last 60 days, and planning DS birthday party, I just hadn't had time. Congrats on the weight loss, good eating habits, and exercise. I used to weigh myself everyday. After I did the Whole30 diet, which forbids weighing for the entire 30 days:scared1:, I only do it once a week now. It's actually more encouraging. It seems more stable over that time than on a daily basis. I also log it in an app that graphs it. I have been doing that for years, so it's very satisfying to see my recent downward trend.
I miss having a downward trend! :laughing:

Good for you to have the 5K goal. Goals are important.
Yes! the 5K is a big motivating factor! I'm so so so looking forward to it! :goodvibes

I am planning on trying Boma dinner for my July DIS Unplugged Anniversary trip. I have never eaten there. Those desserts look really good:) The other dining choices look really good too.

This July trip will be my first solo trip; however, I will be hanging out some with another DISer and BF that live in the same city. Not truly solo, but not beholden to anyone either:)
I recommend everybody to try solo Disney! It's AWESOME! I hope you have a FANTASTIC trip!

Love the pants story:rotfl2:
I hate pants, and pants hate me! :rotfl:

I am a deviled egg gal myself. I like to put dijon or whole grain mustard. I also like to put the sweet or spicy Spanish smoked paprika. It gives it a nice little kick compared to regular paprika. Deviled eggs, without Miracle Whip or sweet relish, pretty much qualify for most of the meaty diets:) They are a great snack too, compared to what I would normally snack on, like candy, cookies, chips, or crackers. I will probably make a bunch at Easter.
Mmmm, I looove me some deviled eggs! I don't make them often, though. I hate hate hate peeling them! I don't mind the rest of the process of making them, but peeling a batch of boiled eggs makes me crazy! :scared: But you're right, they WOULD be a good snack option for me, so I might have to get over that! :cutie:

Love your cats. Butter looks so soft and comfy. Is the other one a ragdoll? I grew up with a Himalayan. We have two cats now, an orange tabby and a white Persian that looks like the evil guy's cat from a James Bond movie.
Butters is a MESS! And I had hoped when I adopted Harley that he was part Ragdoll (because I've always wanted one), but while he has the look of a Ragdoll, he doesn't really have the size or personality of one. I think he's just part crazy Siamese, or possibly Himalayan. (He often exhibits Siamese personality traits, though.) :cat:

I recommend everybody to try solo Disney! It's AWESOME! I hope you have a FANTASTIC trip!

I think it will be fun in a way that's different from our fun family trips.

, I looove me some deviled eggs! I don't make them often, though. I hate hate hate peeling them! I don't mind the rest of the process of making them, but peeling a batch of boiled eggs makes me crazy! :scared: But you're right, they WOULD be a good snack option for me, so I might have to get over that! :cutie:

One Easter, I decided to make 2 dozen deviled eggs, so actually 48 halves. The peels would not come off the eggs. The egg white was just peeling off as I took the hard shell off:furious: I finally cursed my way through them, and even though they were ugly, they were tasty:) I have since read that the older the eggs the better for hard boiling/peeling. I eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast every morning now, but I only have to peel what I need. They are still a pain sometimes.

is a MESS! And I had hoped when I adopted Harley that he was part Ragdoll (because I've always wanted one), but while he has the look of a Ragdoll, he doesn't really have the size or personality of one. I think he's just part crazy Siamese, or possibly Himalayan. (He often exhibits Siamese personality traits, though.) :cat:

Our Himalayan acted a lot like a Siamese too. I think it's just part of their genetics. Extreme adorableness and gigantic sass:rolleyes2 Harley is still very pretty though.

I think it will be fun in a way that's different from our fun family trips.
Solo Disney is "a whole new world!" :cutie:

One Easter, I decided to make 2 dozen deviled eggs, so actually 48 halves. The peels would not come off the eggs. The egg white was just peeling off as I took the hard shell off:furious: I finally cursed my way through them, and even though they were ugly, they were tasty:) I have since read that the older the eggs the better for hard boiling/peeling. I eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast every morning now, but I only have to peel what I need. They are still a pain sometimes.
Ahhhh, this happened to me last year! I can't remember if I was doing a batch of 12, 18, or 24 eggs that time, but I remember the shells giving me an even harder time than usual. I was NOT happy, and I was cussing those buggers something awful! I finally got them done... And like you said, they were delicious, but they sure were NOT pretty! :rotfl: I'm used to doing a whole bunch at a time for family gatherings, but perhaps it won't be so bad if I just do a small batch... Maybe just 6 eggs or so, to make 12 halves for myself to snack on. :scratchin

Our Himalayan acted a lot like a Siamese too. I think it's just part of their genetics. Extreme adorableness and gigantic sass:rolleyes2 Harley is still very pretty though.
And MEAN! Not intentionally vicious or anything, but I've read that Siameses just tend to play mean. Teeth and claws, etc. I know Harley is like that. Sometimes when I pet him, especially if I rub my foot across him while he's laying in the floor at my feet (as he does sometimes), he'll suddenly go all psycho kitty, all bitey and digging those claws into me. He's just playing, though, not truly trying to hurt me.

I've learned to usually identify by his behavior when he's in that kind of mood and to approach with caution, but he still catches me off-guard sometimes. Just last week he was laying on the foot of my bed one morning while I was getting dressed for work, and I reached out and ran my hand over him, giving him pet as I walked by. And as I pulled my hand away, he just reached his paw out and the tip of one of his claws nailed me, and got me right across the pad of my right finger. Hurt like a MFer, and was bleeding just enough that I had to spend the day with a bandaid wrapped around it so I could type and stuff. I was just a cussing while I tended to it, and OF COURSE, that's when he comes to me and is being all sweet and snuggling and lovey-dovey. Could not even stay mad at him! :cat:

Another time he got me GOOD across my wrist, and it was bright red and ugly for a couple weeks. A client that was sitting across from me at my desk made me laugh when he was like, "You have cats, don't you?" (It was summer and I wasn't about to wear long sleeves to cover it up!) :rotfl:

And MEAN! Not intentionally vicious or anything, but I've read that Siameses just tend to play mean. Teeth and claws, etc. I know Harley is like that. Sometimes when I pet him, especially if I rub my foot across him while he's laying in the floor at my feet (as he does sometimes), he'll suddenly go all psycho kitty, all bitey and digging those claws into me. He's just playing, though, not truly trying to hurt me.

I've learned to usually identify by his behavior when he's in that kind of mood and to approach with caution, but he still catches me off-guard sometimes. Just last week he was laying on the foot of my bed one morning while I was getting dressed for work, and I reached out and ran my hand over him, giving him pet as I walked by. And as I pulled my hand away, he just reached his paw out and the tip of one of his claws nailed me, and got me right across the pad of my right finger. Hurt like a MFer, and was bleeding just enough that I had to spend the day with a bandaid wrapped around it so I could type and stuff. I was just a cussing while I tended to it, and OF COURSE, that's when he comes to me and is being all sweet and snuggling and lovey-dovey. Could not even stay mad at him! :cat:

Another time he got me GOOD across my wrist, and it was bright red and ugly for a couple weeks. A client that was sitting across from me at my desk made me laugh when he was like, "You have cats, don't you?" (It was summer and I wasn't about to wear long sleeves to cover it up!) :rotfl:

I have so been there and done that. I even have some permanent scars from "playing":rolleyes2 I used to have a cat that would bite my calf, really hard, when I was standing, talking on the phone. I guess he wanted attention:cat: Since our son was born, I have been trying to keep their nails trimmed. It doesn't always help though, because DS has a small permanent scar above his lip from where he was "playing" with the cat when he was not even 2. He's much better with them now:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter